gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
raiyoku

Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre

Post by raiyoku »

Hi, I bought your gscartsw recently and I have to say it'a great product.
However I got an issue with the switch not displaying the signal coming from my RGBPi. It detects that something is on the line, that the sync is active but there is only a black screen with sometimes wery subtle green lines going across the screen vertically. I've got a Trinitron KV-29C05b.
Do you know where this could be coming from and how I can fix this ?

EDIT : It works with Hydra switches from what I could hear from friends who got one.
superg

Post by superg »

Component switches are here, I am testing everything and starting shipping next week.
alex_makes_games

Post by alex_makes_games »

I just ordered a gscartsw, but I accidentally used the wrong delivery address. Is it possible to change it?
superg

Post by superg »

alex_makes_games wrote:I just ordered a gscartsw, but I accidentally used the wrong delivery address. Is it possible to change it?
PM me your order email or transaction id and I will refund and you can make a new order with the correct address, paypal doesn't allow changing that once order is placed.
superg

Post by superg »

raiyoku wrote:Hi, I bought your gscartsw recently and I have to say it'a great product.
However I got an issue with the switch not displaying the signal coming from my RGBPi. It detects that something is on the line, that the sync is active but there is only a black screen with sometimes wery subtle green lines going across the screen vertically. I've got a Trinitron KV-29C05b.
Do you know where this could be coming from and how I can fix this ?

EDIT : It works with Hydra switches from what I could hear from friends who got one.
I had RGB-Pi at some point and it used to work with my older units as well as the new ones. Did you try enabling sync regeneration (DIP 1) and see if that helps?
I presume it's not a TV problem and your RGB-Pi works directly?
superg

Post by superg »

All gcompsw orders were dropped off today. gcompsw is in stock.
mikehaggar

Post by mikehaggar »

superg wrote:
mikehaggar wrote:I have a question...I believe I have a V3 GSCARTSW that I bought in about 2015...

I have all my RGB consoles running into this switch, then outputting to a component transcoder, then going into my TV and all is well. I have just started streaming so I would like to now finally utilize the second output to take RGB via VGA out and into my capture setup. I tried running the cable though and I'm getting nothing but a black screen.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? Both my capture card as well as the computer monitor I tried showed a black screen, but not sure if this is correct as taking RGB somewhere via VGA is something I've never done before.
That should just work but most people are using VGA with VGA 2 BNC cable to PVM monitor.
Try to switch CV/HV toggle and see if that helps, that changes composite VGA sync to hv VGA sync.
I tried the different toggles but no combination worked. I am not getting any signal on my capture card nor on my computer monitor via a basic VGA cable. I wonder what could be going wrong...I have a hard time believing that the DB-15 output is simply broken, given that I never tried using it until now.
superg

Post by superg »

mikehaggar wrote: I tried the different toggles but no combination worked. I am not getting any signal on my capture card nor on my computer monitor via a basic VGA cable. I wonder what could be going wrong...I have a hard time believing that the DB-15 output is simply broken, given that I never tried using it until now.
Hmm, it's hard to tell what's going on. Some monitors are incompatible with low res VGA signal and some capture cards are picky, not saying this is your situation but it makes sense to try different cable / different monitor. I don't see a reason why the output VGA wouldn't work, in CV (toggle) mode it's a copy of output SCART - for instance you can get Monoprice VGA2BNC cable and use that as RGBS connectivity to PVM monitor.
mikehaggar

Post by mikehaggar »

superg wrote:
mikehaggar wrote: I tried the different toggles but no combination worked. I am not getting any signal on my capture card nor on my computer monitor via a basic VGA cable. I wonder what could be going wrong...I have a hard time believing that the DB-15 output is simply broken, given that I never tried using it until now.
Hmm, it's hard to tell what's going on. Some monitors are incompatible with low res VGA signal and some capture cards are picky, not saying this is your situation but it makes sense to try different cable / different monitor. I don't see a reason why the output VGA wouldn't work, in CV (toggle) mode it's a copy of output SCART - for instance you can get Monoprice VGA2BNC cable and use that as RGBS connectivity to PVM monitor.
Good idea, I'll try that cable to allow me to run into the same chain that the SCART output is undergoing into my TV to see if I can get the signal to work. This should show me once and for all if that output is doing what it's supposed to!
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

superg, any thoughts about bringing back a DE15 output? I liked the design of those ones!

Of course, one of these dongles should work on one of the outputs of the current design:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Optoma-Scart-t ... 2952965387

But it's a shame that an audio breakout isn't included. The thing is made of epoxy so it would be damn near impossible to mod... I actually stick' em to a secondary dongle for audio out, lol. They do the trick for RGBS into Extron interfaces/GBS units/etc, though!
superg

Post by superg »

kitty666cats wrote:superg, any thoughts about bringing back a DE15 output? I liked the design of those ones!

Of course, one of these dongles should work on one of the outputs of the current design:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Optoma-Scart-t ... 2952965387

But it's a shame that an audio breakout isn't included. The thing is made of epoxy so it would be damn near impossible to mod... I actually stick' em to a secondary dongle for audio out, lol. They do the trick for RGBS into Extron interfaces/GBS units/etc, though!
That stuff is projector thing, I know that projector cables with 15 pin d-sub have different pinout, there are cables like this and they don't work.
VGA is questionable because it requires separate HV sync and it needs additional processing. There are external adapters but bulky. It would be nice if somebody designs something like this projector thing.
snowekim

Post by snowekim »

Hello @SuperG

Recently I found out the following problem with my gscartsw (latest version):

While playing Suikoden IV (PS2@480p) on the title screen i get a vertical green line on the bottom and also intermittent sync drops, if I let the game play the intro FMV it plays perfectly fine also i haven't seen the issue while in-game( but haven't played it much) I only saw the horizontal line ( in a different position) for a second when they introduced the first naval battle.

The issue doesn't occur if i connect the PS2 directly into my 20L5 PVM ( I have to adjust the sync manually on the PVN when the ps2 goes into 480 though).

If I turn ON (down) dip 2. it gets rid of the green horizontal line and turning ON(down) dip 1 gets rid of the intermittent sync drops but then i have to adjust the sync on my 20L5 PVM manually( because sync regeneration is off), which kind of beat the purpose of the gscartsw.

So far I have only encounter this issue with this game, Radiata stories seems to work fine( and i don't have many more PS2@480 titles lol...)

Here is some videos for reference:
Horizontal green line + sync drop https://drive.google.com/file/d/16diHsN ... sp=sharing
Sync drop only https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eYqDJN ... sp=sharing
Thanks!
pce

Post by pce »

I just received my gscartsw and it's pretty incredible - it handles almost anything I throw at it with ease...except my PC Engine. Anyone know why?

For reference, I'm using the Genesis 2 scart cable from Retro Gaming Cables located here:

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/pc- ... le-tv-lead

and the RGB card located here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PC-Engine-Cons ... SwcH5eziO3

(I know it's a knock-off, read on...)

I've had great success when connecting the eBay RGB card/PC Engine to my PVM using a BNC cable from Retro Access. It looks and sounds incredible. I then purchased the OSSC and connected the RGB card/PC Engine to my LCD using the Retro Gaming Cables Genesis 2 cable, and it looks razor sharp. Well, now that I have a gscartsw, I'm connecting the PC Engine like so

PC Engine -> RGB card -> RGC scart cable -> gscartsw -> OSSC -> HDMI/LCD

...but nothing happens except a flashing LED on the gscartsw. I tried adjusting the dip switches but no luck. A cursory search shows that there have been quite a few people with gscart/PC Engine issues, but I have not been able to find an actual solution. Some responses call out shoddy RGB mods, others point to legitimate products (grafx booster, etc) being the culprit.

So, before I spend a ton of money on a quest for a solution, do we know what's happening here? Some of this goes over my head, so it's very possible I'm missing something obvious. Please be gentle. :P
superg

Post by superg »

snowekim wrote: While playing Suikoden IV (PS2@480p) on the title screen i get a vertical green line on the bottom and also intermittent sync drops, if I let the game play the intro FMV it plays perfectly fine also i haven't seen the issue while in-game( but haven't played it much) I only saw the horizontal line ( in a different position) for a second when they introduced the first naval battle.

The issue doesn't occur if i connect the PS2 directly into my 20L5 PVM ( I have to adjust the sync manually on the PVN when the ps2 goes into 480 though).

If I turn ON (down) dip 2. it gets rid of the green horizontal line and turning ON(down) dip 1 gets rid of the intermittent sync drops but then i have to adjust the sync on my 20L5 PVM manually( because sync regeneration is off), which kind of beat the purpose of the gscartsw.

So far I have only encounter this issue with this game, Radiata stories seems to work fine( and i don't have many more PS2@480 titles lol...)

Horizontal green line + sync drop https://drive.google.com/file/d/16diHsN ... sp=sharing
Thanks!
This is interesting but let me explain the dip 2 function first:
DIP 2 enables green channel sync compensation. If you turn it on (down), there will be no sync on green line. But there is always sync on the sync line (S in RGBS) because gscartsw always extracts it from green. So you sort of get two "SoG modes" on gscartsw.
Now your PVM has also two modes, "internal" sync which takes sync from green and "external" sync which takes sync from the sync line.
Intersecting those two mode pairs you get 3 possible combinations:
1. DIP 2 off (up) and PVM set to internal sync
2. DIP 2 off (up) and PVM set to external sync
3. DIP 2 on (down) and PVM set to external sync

The most compatible way in PVM case is (1), you get your PVM to sync off sync on green line and gscartsw forwards that green sync without changes. Make sure you tried this mode and let me know your findings. Also don't enable sync regeneration for this case as it might complicate things.

I extensively tested the switch with Gran Turismo 4 because it provides HD resolutions and tri-level sync, if you have it, try it to rule out other potential issues. I also used another 2D game for testing different resolutions (Disgaea?).
I will have to check what I see on Suikoden IV in all those modes to have a better idea on what's going on but I am so busy at the moment with other things I don't know when this will happen.
snowekim

Post by snowekim »

superg wrote:
snowekim wrote: While playing Suikoden IV (PS2@480p) on the title screen i get a vertical green line on the bottom and also intermittent sync drops, if I let the game play the intro FMV it plays perfectly fine also i haven't seen the issue while in-game( but haven't played it much) I only saw the horizontal line ( in a different position) for a second when they introduced the first naval battle.

Thanks!
This is interesting but let me explain the dip 2 function first:
DIP 2 enables green channel sync compensation. If you turn it on (down), there will be no sync on green line. But there is always sync on the sync line (S in RGBS) because gscartsw always extracts it from green. So you sort of get two "SoG modes" on gscartsw.
Now your PVM has also two modes, "internal" sync which takes sync from green and "external" sync which takes sync from the sync line.
Intersecting those two mode pairs you get 3 possible combinations:

The most compatible way in PVM case is (1), you get your PVM to sync off sync on green line and gscartsw forwards that green sync without changes. Make sure you tried this mode and let me know your findings. Also don't enable sync regeneration for this case as it might complicate things.

I extensively tested the switch with Gran Turismo 4 because it provides HD resolutions and tri-level sync, if you have it, try it to rule out other potential issues. I also used another 2D game for testing different resolutions (Disgaea?).
I will have to check what I see on Suikoden IV in all those modes to have a better idea on what's going on but I am so busy at the moment with other things I don't know when this will happen.
Assuming the following:
- PVM ext sync button green = internal sync
- PVM ext sync button orange = external sync

- no sync at all
- syncs fine, but i get the problem I mentioned with Suikoden 4@480p ( horizontal green line + intermittent sync drops on Title screen)
- syncs fine, as mentioned before this setup fixes the issue with the green horizontal line but I still get intermittent sync drops on Title screen, turning sync to internal on the PVM fixes the intermittent sync drop. but then every time the ps2 is outputting 480i I have to change the sync to external on the PVM

I'll see if i can borrow any of the games you mentioned for more testing
superg

Post by superg »

snowekim wrote: Assuming the following:

- no sync at all
- syncs fine, but i get the problem I mentioned with Suikoden 4@480p ( horizontal green line + intermittent sync drops on Title screen)
- syncs fine, as mentioned before this setup fixes the issue with the green horizontal line but I still get intermittent sync drops on Title screen, turning sync to internal on the PVM fixes the intermittent sync drop. but then every time the ps2 is outputting 480i I have to change the sync to external on the PVM

(1) will work only for progressive mode, if game often switches between interlaced / progressive you will get no sync on green in interlaced resolution.
Based on this information the only thing I can say is that suikoden 4 is setting some graphical mode I don't take into account or PVM doesn't like something about gscartsw extracted external sync - hard to tell without my testing.

A few more questions:
1. when you see flicker on PVM, does gscartsw LED blinks for a brief moment?
2. are you using good cables? I had sync drops in HD resolutions when using cheap cables.

Finally, if the game is otherwise playable - why bother? You see the title, start the game and that's it.
snowekim

Post by snowekim »

superg wrote:
snowekim wrote: Assuming the following:

- no sync at all

(1) will work only for progressive mode, if game often switches between interlaced / progressive you will get no sync on green in interlaced resolution.
Based on this information the only thing I can say is that suikoden 4 is setting some graphical mode I don't take into account or PVM doesn't like something about gscartsw extracted external sync - hard to tell without my testing.

A few more questions:
1. when you see flicker on PVM, does gscartsw LED blinks for a brief moment?
2. are you using good cables? I had sync drops in HD resolutions when using cheap cables.

Finally, if the game is otherwise playable - why bother? You see the title, start the game and that's it.

1- No flicker
2- Yea I have good cables from RGC.uk (Packapunch)

And yes you're right, so far it doesn't seem to be a breaking bug as it only occurs on the title screen, but it caused me concern it might happen later on the game too, hopefully that's not the case.

On the bright side we have this issue documented now =)
superg

Post by superg »

snowekim wrote: 1- No flicker
2- Yea I have good cables from RGC.uk (Packapunch)

And yes you're right, so far it doesn't seem to be a breaking bug as it only occurs on the title screen, but it caused me concern it might happen later on the game too, hopefully that's not the case.

On the bright side we have this issue documented now =)
Yeah, I will check the game out at some point.
strygo

Post by strygo »

Does the gscartsw use a particular technique or chipset when converting RGsB to RGBS? In my testing of Xbox RGsB at 720p, I notice some signal degradation when using the gscartsw to do the conversion. This manifests itself in some blurriness and ghosting of the image. This might be happening at lower resolutions, but if it is, it is much less pronounced and I can’t tell.

When testing the signal direct or with an Extron 201 rxi prior to the gscartsw, I don’t observe these issues.

Having the extra device in the chain isn’t a big deal. I’m more curious about why this might be happening.
superg

Post by superg »

strygo wrote:Does the gscartsw use a particular technique or chipset when converting RGsB to RGBS? In my testing of Xbox RGsB at 720p, I notice some signal degradation when using the gscartsw to do the conversion. This manifests itself in some blurriness and ghosting of the image. This might be happening at lower resolutions, but if it is, it is much less pronounced and I can’t tell.

When testing the signal direct or with an Extron 201 rxi prior to the gscartsw, I don’t observe these issues.

Having the extra device in the chain isn’t a big deal. I’m more curious about why this might be happening.
There is nothing that would directly affect signal quality. Don't forget that by introducing switch in your chain you increase signal travel distance significantly (switch plus cable going from switch to the next device in the chain).
How it works: there is a high speed adc / comparator which detects sync pulses from green and replicates them on the sync line. Obviously no any modification performed on pixel data with the exception of DIP 2 setting which compensates sync from green (off by default). There is some miniscule ADC latency involved but that wasn't noticeable even on 1080i on my testing.
Although this was extensively tested only on PS2 being the biggest SoG usecase for everybody. Afaik on original Xbox you can't get official RGsB so you need to flash custom bios which I quickly tried to do and failed.
strygo

Post by strygo »

superg wrote: There is nothing that would directly affect signal quality. Don't forget that by introducing switch in your chain you increase signal travel distance significantly (switch plus cable going from switch to the next device in the chain).
How it works: there is a high speed adc / comparator which detects sync pulses from green and replicates them on the sync line. Obviously no any modification performed on pixel data with the exception of DIP 2 setting which compensates sync from green (off by default). There is some miniscule ADC latency involved but that wasn't noticeable even on 1080i on my testing.
Although this was extensively tested only on PS2 being the biggest SoG usecase for everybody. Afaik on original Xbox you can't get official RGsB so you need to flash custom bios which I quickly tried to do and failed.
Thanks for the extra info. Yeah, this particular Xbox is outputting RGsB using IND-BIOS. For both PS2 and Xbox, everything looks great at 480p. Only with 720p have I observed various issues.

I went the RGsB route because I was seeing similar signal degradation when transcoding YPbPr to RGB.

Even with the Extron, I need to toggle some of its dip switches to get optimal performance. And some of the switches produce better or different results depending on the display used.

I will say that 720p is a sight to behold, especially on Mortal Kombat Armageddon.
superg

Post by superg »

pce wrote: ...but nothing happens except a flashing LED on the gscartsw. I tried adjusting the dip switches but no luck. A cursory search shows that there have been quite a few people with gscart/PC Engine issues, but I have not been able to find an actual solution. Some responses call out shoddy RGB mods, others point to legitimate products (grafx booster, etc) being the culprit.

So, before I spend a ton of money on a quest for a solution, do we know what's happening here? Some of this goes over my head, so it's very possible I'm missing something obvious. Please be gentle. :P
PC Engine / TurboGrafx is infamous for bad mods, yours is one of them. I know it works directly but it doesn't mean it's compliant.
I suggest dbGrafx booster and Genesis 2 cable.
pce

Post by pce »

superg wrote:
pce wrote: ...but nothing happens except a flashing LED on the gscartsw. I tried adjusting the dip switches but no luck. A cursory search shows that there have been quite a few people with gscart/PC Engine issues, but I have not been able to find an actual solution. Some responses call out shoddy RGB mods, others point to legitimate products (grafx booster, etc) being the culprit.

PC Engine / TurboGrafx is infamous for bad mods, yours is one of them. I know it works directly but it doesn't mean it's compliant.
Thank you for the reply. I might be mistaken - I'm currently using a Genesis 2 scart cable from RGC on a stock/unmodded PC Engine by way of rear RGB expander. The rear expander looks very similar to the dbGrafx booster. Perhaps there is an inherent difference between the two that I am missing.

I'll order the dbGrafx booster and report back.
superg

Post by superg »

pce wrote:
superg wrote:

Thank you for the reply. I might be mistaken - I'm currently using a Genesis 2 scart cable from RGC on a stock/unmodded PC Engine by way of rear RGB expander. The rear expander looks very similar to the dbGrafx booster. Perhaps there is an inherent difference between the two that I am missing.

I'll order the dbGrafx booster and report back.
PC Engine signals from rear connector require additional components to be compliant, dbGrafx booster has everything necessary and was reported as working configuration (as well as voultar board). Simple output connector rewire is not enough.
pce

Post by pce »

superg wrote: PC Engine signals from rear connector require additional components to be compliant, dbGrafx booster has everything necessary and was reported as working configuration (as well as voultar board). Simple output connector rewire is not enough.
Great! Makes sense, and thank you for the clarification. dbGrafx ordered. Hopefully this post helps someone else along the way. :D
Hisoka89

Post by Hisoka89 »

Hi, i am planning on preorder a gscartsw 5.2 but i want to ask is that usb power faillure problem common ?? Does the GSWITCH BUMPER CASES from LaserBear protect against it ??
RGB0b

Post by RGB0b »

superg wrote:PC Engine / TurboGrafx is infamous for bad mods, yours is one of them. I know it works directly but it doesn't mean it's compliant.
The Spark Plug should perform the same as the GrafxBooster. If you don't need S-Video or simultaneous dual output, it's a good choice. Superg, I'll see if I can have one sent to you: https://youtu.be/FsZj6zH8n6I
pce wrote:A cursory search shows that there have been quite a few people with gscart/PC Engine issues, but I have not been able to find an actual solution. Some responses call out shoddy RGB mods, others point to legitimate products (grafx booster, etc) being the culprit.
The problem with gscartsw compatibility is usually bad mods/equipment. PCE has issues with its sync signal though, so some displays won't work right even with all the best equipment. Definitely avoid using a crappy, $2 Aliexpress cable or those knockoff eBay Grafx Boosters, as they'll cause issues (and potentially be dangerous).

Overall, if you're using good mods/cables and your PCE works when connected directly to your display, it should work through the gscartsw. If it won't work directly into your monitor (like with A/H-series BVM's), then it won't work through the gscartsw. There's a few complicated tricks to get it working and some people are working on devices to fix it, but those aren't close to a release.
superg

Post by superg »

retrorgb wrote:Superg, I'll see if I can have one sent to you: https://youtu.be/FsZj6zH8n6I
Appreciate it!
Yeah, the dbBooster is the only thing I have here.
Hisoka89

Post by Hisoka89 »

Hi, i have a question regarding the gscartsw, i want to get one and use a magnetic micro usb to usb to avoid having the usb power connexion damaged, my question is: can i use with it the power adapter it comes with samsung phones ? Is it secure ? If not what should i use ? Thank you!
superg

Post by superg »

Hisoka89 wrote:Hi, i have a question regarding the gscartsw, i want to get one and use a magnetic micro usb to usb to avoid having the usb power connexion damaged, my question is: can i use with it the power adapter it comes with samsung phones ? Is it secure ? If not what should i use ? Thank you!
Yeah, both samsung charger and magnetic cable should be fine.
But gscartsw's from the current batch are actually v5.3 with through hole micro usb connector so I doubt you need that.