New shooter - Raging Blasters demo up on Steam

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Loom1es

New shooter - Raging Blasters demo up on Steam

Post by Loom1es »

Hi, i stumbled across Raging Blasters whilst scrollling through Steam. The game is a kind of 8 bit PC Engine styled arcade/caravan shooter. The demo has a 3 minute caravan mode you can play. I'm no expert on caravan games but from my limited time with the demo i am really enjoying the gameplay and aesthetics. The chaining aspect seems really good and has me hooked on tyring to chain a whole run. Check it out and see what you think.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1464 ... gBlasters/
MathU

Re: New shooter - Raging Blasters demo up on Steam

Post by MathU »

Will there be a Steam-free release at some point?
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.
Loom1es

Post by Loom1es »

MathU wrote:Will there be a Steam-free release at some point?
Hi, the release statement and website both state Steam with no other platforms announced, this could change in the future. If you have a preferred platform you could drop the dev a message.
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

This demo was pretty fun, has a lot of Aleste/Compile and Star Soldier DNA here, along with the PCE caravan style shooters. A lot of depth for something that looks pretty simple on the surface. I'll definitely pick up the full release if the price is reasonable.
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

New Terarin game? Sign me up.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
MarioNintendo

Post by MarioNintendo »

It's out, 15% off right now
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I was having fun with Terarin's Missile Dancer last night and I've kept my eyes on this one. I'm hoping that enough sales will give this game a graphical update like what happened with Missile Dancer! As it stands I see a lot of folks on other communities pretty hyped up for this one, even having caravan contests with the demo.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

This released this morning. 15% off on Steam at the moment!
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
Kez

Post by Kez »

Been having a great time with the demo, definitely gonna pick this one up!
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Now available on the JP Switch Eshop. No word of US release, though IIRC, it has english text. I bought it with eshop points and I like it quite a bit so far.
Darkseed_5150

Post by Darkseed_5150 »

Nice. Missile Dancer in TATE with FlipGrip is mini arcade heaven. Hope it comes to the West soon.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Finally got a review published for this on NLife today:

https://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/sw ... g-blasters

It’s currently 50% off on the JP eshop, and the Switch version has a huge aesthetic overhaul compared to the Steam version.

It’s superb, although I recommend shmup vets start on Hard or even Expert difficulties.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

subcons

Post by subcons »

Skykid wrote:Finally got a review published for this on NLife today:

It’s currently 50% off on the JP eshop, and the Switch version has a huge aesthetic overhaul compared to the Steam version.

It’s superb, although I recommend shmup vets start on Hard or even Expert difficulties.
Thanks for the heads up! I’ve seen the game before via Shmup Junkie, but that was running on PC I believe. It does look really nice with the upgrade to the graphics on Switch. Recently got a Switch back in December, so I’m still filling out my library of games and I couldn’t pass this one up at $10.
Nugs

Post by Nugs »

Thanks for the heads up and nice review, grabbed it last night and initial impressions are very positive.
Normal does seem on the easier side and very generous with extends.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Nugs wrote:

Thanks for the heads up and nice review, grabbed it last night and initial impressions are very positive.
Treat Normal as a training excercise. I 1CCd each mode by scaling up. Expert is the only one you might find a little difficult, but in the grand scheme of things even that's not too tough. It's more about the scoring with this one, learning to chain sections is a really fun and surprisingly deep system.

Nugs

Post by Nugs »

Skykid wrote:
Nugs wrote:

Treat Normal as a training excercise. I 1CCd each mode by scaling up. Expert is the only one you might find a little difficult, but in the grand scheme of things even that's not too tough. It's more about the scoring with this one, learning to chain sections is a really fun and surprisingly deep system.
Good advice. It only took 4 runs to 1cc normal and hard and I had fun, but scoring was obviously not optimised.
I'll dig into expert next but also loving the caravan mode.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Nugs wrote: Good advice. It only took 4 runs to 1cc normal and hard and I had fun, but scoring was obviously not optimised.
I'll dig into expert next but also loving the caravan mode.
Not entirely sure about that, but I think scoring makes most sense on Expert. You'll find tons of very neat methods for carrying on chains, sometimes between sections, that involve allowing certain enemies to linger until the last moment. There's a lot more to shoot on Expert, and some of the stages rely on actually needing to switch weaponry to achieve better changes (whereas it's fairly perfunctory on the other modes).

Fun though, certainly!

FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

I bought the game today on Steam, and indeed it's a lot of fun. :)

This developer (and the composer he used; what a kick ass soundtrack!) has definitely earned my attention.

I'll be sure to buy Moon Dancer next, and his upcoming game Terra Flame as well.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

FunktionJCB wrote:I bought the game today on Steam, and indeed it's a lot of fun. :)

This developer (and the composer he used; what a kick ass soundtrack!) has definitely earned my attention.

I'll be sure to buy Moon Dancer next, and his upcoming game Terra Flame as well.
Yeah he tweeted a new Terra Flame video today, looks cool. The Raging Blasters OST is dynamite.

If Steam is all you have access to that’s fair enough, it’s just worth noting the version on Switch has had a huge visual overhaul (and it’s cheap!)

PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

I like how the Switch port of Raging Blasters has a visual nod towards Soldier Blade. Too bad Hudson Soft & Compile didn't do a proper sequel to Soldier Blade as a Super CD-Rom2 or even an Arcade CD-Rom2 release.

Could a port of Raging Blasters be done on the venerable PC Engine platform for reals? Hmmm...

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
SeeNoWeevil

Post by SeeNoWeevil »

The developer mentioned on the Steam forum that basically the Steam version only exists to fund the development of the Switch versions and the upgrades won't be ported to the Steam version. That's an easy way to go on my ignore list as a developer.
spmbx

Post by spmbx »

What i read on the steam forums apart from a few entitled manbabies, is:
for the Switch version of the MissileDancer, I signed a contract with a publisher and a graphic artist to create a new one. So I think it's a little difficult to bring to Steam
which to me sounds more like a contractual issue in porting it over to steam than unwillingness.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

FunktionJCB wrote:I bought the game today on Steam, and indeed it's a lot of fun. :)

Moon Dancer looks good, but he really needs to change that art since it's a trace of artwork from GG Aleste.