Tobe! Polystars - an amazing shmup on a rare system

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
awbacon

Tobe! Polystars - an amazing shmup on a rare system

Post by awbacon »

https://youtu.be/jEUWdyRVB-k

In Feb I will be doing a virtual gaming convention and I'll be talking about the history of the 3DO M2, it's games and development history and some other related topics. Considering Tobe! Polystars is hands down my fav game on the platform and my voice over work two years ago was poor AF...I wanted to revisit it.

Anyone else ever play? I'd love to hear others opinions...especially where you encountered the hardware? May work some info into the history of M2
FRO

Re: Tobe! Polystars - an amazing shmup on a rare system

Post by FRO »

Somehow, this game has completely passed me by. I'm curious if you have a capture setup you used to get the footage, or did you use MAME to get the gameplay?
awbacon

Post by awbacon »

FRO wrote:Somehow, this game has completely passed me by. I'm curious if you have a capture setup you used to get the footage, or did you use MAME to get the gameplay?
It’s captured via an original pcb through a supergun then to my Framemeister into an Elgato HD 60S

Talk about complicated lol
Pointman

Post by Pointman »

I used to own this one, the board itself is huge. It’s a really fun little game but the size was prohibitive. I ended up selling it but somehow found the original manual a few months ago, I must have kept it. I’ve still got that at least.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

A lot of people who were reading magazines or websites back in the 90s probably came across the M2 console rumours, but know nothing about it beyond that. Konami's House of the Dead clone Evil Night is probably the only game anyone might be familiar with.
Master O

Post by Master O »

awbacon wrote:https://youtu.be/jEUWdyRVB-k

In Feb I will be doing a virtual gaming convention and I'll be talking about the history of the 3DO M2, it's games and development history and some other related topics. Considering Tobe! Polystars is hands down my fav game on the platform and my voice over work two years ago was poor AF...I wanted to revisit it.

Anyone else ever play? I'd love to hear others opinions...especially where you encountered the hardware? May work some info into the history of M2
I tried for many years to prod the Mamedevs into finally getting this game fully playable in Mame.

All I was met with was hostility and derision, except for Phil, who said he would eventually get around to fixing it.

That was at least 2 years ago.

Konami M2 is its mame driver:

https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blob/ma ... namim2.cpp
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

1. Begging mamedev to get games to work is kind of pointless since the entire thing is open source.
2. It's been marked as "Working with problems" for years now. Unfortunately it runs far too slow to be actually playable. But it's there.
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

Master O wrote: I tried for many years to prod the Mamedevs into finally getting this game fully playable in Mame.

All I was met with was hostility and derision, except for Phil, who said he would eventually get around to fixing it.

That was at least 2 years ago.
Were you really just... prodding? Like, asking them, "can you do this?" Or, do you mean providing support, contributing code, or information about the hardware, etc? If it's just the former then I don't know what else you expect from them but frustration and hostility.
awbacon

Post by awbacon »

Sengoku Strider wrote:A lot of people who were reading magazines or websites back in the 90s probably came across the M2 console rumours, but know nothing about it beyond that. Konami's House of the Dead clone Evil Night is probably the only game anyone might be familiar with.
The best part about M2 is the fact it technically does exist as a kiosk unit which is just the console guts shoved into a box that doesn’t look like a console. I’ve released demos and unfinished games for fun and have collected a ton of M2 stuff.

It’s the most “actually exists” vapor ware ever