How often and how many shmups do you play?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!

How often do you play shmups and how many of them at a time?

Frequency: Daily
23%
Frequency: Weekly
19%
Frequency: Monthly
5%
Frequency: Even less
4%
Quantity: 1
8%
Quantity: 1-2
30%
Quantity: 2-3
8%
Quantity: Even more
4%

Total votes: 79

SPM

How often and how many shmups do you play?

Post by SPM »

I'm curious about how often people play shmups and how many of them at a time. Do you focus on just 1 before moving on to the next or do you play several at a time for the sake of variety?

2 votes. One for frequency and one for quantity :)
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
Sengoku Strider

Re: How often and how many shmups do you play?

Post by Sengoku Strider »

I try to play every day, and usually have a rotation of 2-3 games. Though in practice while Gunbird 2's a lock my rotation gets rotated into and out of alot. I know it's best to stick with just one thing but I don't have that kind of attention span.
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

These violent games have violent ends
And in their scoreplay die, like ship and power-up
Which as they kiss consume. The biggest clear bonus
Is loathsome in its own imbalance
Therefore shmup moderately: arcade or no
Excess will not attitude for gains grow
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

Focus on one game at a time!
If I'm in a period with no goals, I might try a bit here and there, but for real play, only one game.
Lucky if I manage to play a few credits per week. :)
moozooh wrote:I think that approach won't get you far in Garegga.
Image Image
NMS

Post by NMS »

I play (almost) daily, but sometimes I take breaks from video games for several days/weeks.

I usually focus on one game, but sometimes I'm just bad at it, I take forever to reach my objective and it gets boring and frustrating after dozens of hours, so I play something else in parallel. It's nothing more than a secondary objective and I focus mostly on the first game.
Of course this doesn't include the times when I just replay an old favorite for a credit or two.
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

Mortificator wrote:Excess will not attitude for gains grow
agrees to very much...
-

I have a pretty shitty attention span as well. often jump around to different games, platforms, and genres but tend to stick to one or two shooters at a time. Either I'm hitting it every day or I'll go for a week without playing a shmup. Haven't nailed a challenging 1cc in several years. Attention span is maybe getting better as I age but I no longer feel guilty for not finishing something. I still ocasionaly get taken with a game where I'll play the shit out of it to completion but no longer force it if I'm not feelin' it.

Currently playing the shit out of OG Aleste (thanks M2), Doom Eternal, and Border Down on my cab which is basically a dedicated to Dreamcast because the monitor only works in 31khz :(
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

I play shmup whenever I feel like it. I focused to one game when I'm going for a clear.
ravenclaws76

Post by ravenclaws76 »

I play weekly, 1-2 games at a time. Usually it's one game I try to focus more and other game I wanna get a feel.
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

I generally play more than one at a time, but there's plenty of weeks in the year where I'm busy with other types of games and don't touch shmups. It's just one of the few genres I come back to whenever there's a new release or I get the itch for it, I don't think I could stomach only playing shmups all the time. Variety is what keeps me gaming in general, even though I do stick between a few of my favorite styles or genres.
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

The older I get ( 46 years old ) the less attention and desire I have for super long games. Most of my gaming is Nintendo and shoot em ups, beat em ups and run n guns. I go through "moods". I'll take long breaks with shmups, but when I play, I'll play them for weeks exclusively. When I shmup, I have one that I play "seriously" and another one to alternate between.
Zero238

Post by Zero238 »

Play only when there is nothing to do at work or when letting newbies play. I'm not great but I like the feeling getting into the zone.
PFG 9000

Post by PFG 9000 »

I go in stretches. I might be on a shmup kick where I play a few different ones a few nights a week. Then I'll go a few months playing almost no games at all, or playing other genres. I almost never sit down with one shmup and practice at it repeatedly. This is also why I'm a shitty shmupper.
WarpedByTheNHK

Post by WarpedByTheNHK »

When I play a shmup, it is the only game I play and I try to play it every day until I am finished with it. However, sometimes I go for months before starting my next shmup so I am not sure how I should vote haha.