Anyone got any of the new consoles? Opinons?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
evil_ash_xero

Anyone got any of the new consoles? Opinons?

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I robbed a bank and was able to get both the PS5 and XBox Series X (no actual bank robbing took place). I was curious if anyone else has either of these systems? Any opinions?

I really like the backward compatibility on the PS5. Which is good, since there really aren't any new games out. I absolutely love the controller. It just feels great, and I love the haptic feedback.
I tend to turn off the speaker function, as it's sort of just repeating what's onscreen, and I find it a bit annoying.
The system is shaped very weird, but stands out. I'm not really sure what to say about it... it's big. Quiet, though.

I bought Sekiro (which I have on PC) to test out it's horsepower. I tried it on my PS4 Pro, and it was very jerky. Did not like it at all, especially after playing it on PC. For the most part, it's a complete
transformation on the PS5. It does has it's dips, with one part really standing out (the gang of monkeys in the Sunken Depths), but it's night and day. I felt the same way when playing Dark Souls III, which
I found to run pretty all over the place, when they patched it for the Pro.
I really like how fast the system starts, but the menu really needs folders. I'm not sure why they aren't on there yet.

The XBox seems fine. It's not as fast as the PS5, but I've seen that some games run a bit better on one system or the other. This was my first chance to check out some "enhanced" games. I was very keen
on playing Ninja Gaiden Black and Panzer Dragoon Orta. The actual graphics look great. Remaster quality, almost. But the titles, and stuff like that are in a lower res, with what looks to be some kind of fuzzy filter on them. The movies look terrible, as well. Seems just the main game graphics are really enhanced. Luckily, that's mainly what you're looking at.
Ninja Gaiden 2 looks amazing, and a HUGE improvement over the XBox 360 original. Since it has high res titles, and whatnot, it looks pretty amazing all together.

I do not like the Series X controller. It feels kind of cheap. the plastic on the system and the controller is weird. Almost porous. If you're eating pizza or chips, don't go about touching the controller or
system without knowing you're going to have to do a lot of scrubbing. And even then, it may not all come out. I don't know what the deal is with that. The controller is also very noisy. The pad clicks
every time you do anything with it, and the buttons and sticks are abnormally loud (except the shoulder buttons). I feel that the controller may be kind of hollow or something. The PS5 controller is quieter
than it, and even the PS4 controller... so, thumbs down, Microsoft.

Thus far, I'm more into the PS5, as I am coming from the PS4, and have a lot of games that are "upgraded", by the horsepower. I also really like the controller. Demon's Souls is pretty cool. I have the original, and like a lot of things they did with the remake. However, it's obvious a Western developer did it, and I'm not a big fan of the faces. I just gave up trying to make an attractive woman. I wasn't even able to change the body type, and she had very manly shoulders. Thanks, Bluepoint.

Time will tell how they compete, as new games haven't really come out, so I don't know which one will be the better platform.
TransatlanticFoe

Re: Anyone got any of the new consoles? Opinons?

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Series X owner. Don't have any fancy TV kit, just a 1080p set, but the difference from the base xbone is night and day.

I chiefly opted to pre-order on the strength of two things:

1. Reduced load times
2. Full backwards compatibility

But a third benefit has been prominent too - general performance is night and day, no more stuttering or texture pop in (F1 2020 would usually not load textures at all in cutscenes).

Load times was the biggie for me, no more waiting for 2 minutes because you've gone into/out of a building. No more running into infinity in an Assassin's Creed loading screen. The thing even cold boots in a couple of seconds.

Lack of games is not an issue either, given it plays xbone games perfectly and better... and my backlog is both large and growing.

I disagree regarding the controller btw, compared to the xbone controller it improves the bumpers and the d-pad is less clicky. I wasn't sure I'd get on with the rough grip texturing but it's not an issue. Honestly, aside from slapping a SNES d-pad in there it's perfect. I absolutely love that you can still whack a cable in and remove the batteries entirely.

It is a shame that its main selling point is Gamepass, which you obviously get with the cheaper machine too - so it would have been nice to have a few headline games in there at launch and make more noise about Gears Tactics getting a console release. Gears Tactics is awesome (so far anyway, I'm 2/3rds through... maybe the final boss will be complete bullshit and ruin it or something)!

I can't say either impress in the aesthetics stakes, but I'd rather my console looks nondescript than Sauron's router. I'll wait for a smaller redesign before getting a PS5, this town literally ain't big enough for the both of 'em. Can't say its exclusives entice me enough either right now - most of the best stuff is multiplatform.
pegboy

Post by pegboy »

Today's consoles (Except maybe the Switch) are nothing more than poor man's PCs, so no.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

pegboy wrote:Today's consoles (Except maybe the Switch) are nothing more than poor man's PCs, so no.
You know, no matter what I do, I still feel like I have more input latency on my PC, than on my consoles. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, and even fiddle with the latency settings in the Nividia thing.
But I don't want to get into a PC topic... I like the exclusives on Sony's systems, so that will always be a thing. At the same time, I like the simplicity of consoles. However, I do get gaming PC's too, as sometimes I want to play the game properly NOW, and not 5 years later.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

They are basically pre-built PCs at this point, but pre-built PCs at a solid price point and a guaranteed longer supported lifespan (without shelling out for upgrades). PCs are there for those that way inclined, but consoles are still a good compromise for the mass market and a far more living room friendly proposition!
headlesshobbs

Post by headlesshobbs »

Play them for the games PCs don't have and use it as an arcade system like you're supposed to.
"Don't HD my SD!!"
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I will get a PS5 if the game releases pick up significantly and the console gets smaller.

PS5 is diving in Japan by all accounts. It was released to steal market share from Microsoft without actually having anything decent on it.

Maybe Summer 2021.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

neorichieb1971 wrote:PS5 is diving in Japan by all accounts. It was released to steal market share from Microsoft without actually having anything decent on it.
Microsoft has market share in Japan?
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

BulletMagnet wrote:
neorichieb1971 wrote:PS5 is diving in Japan by all accounts. It was released to steal market share from Microsoft without actually having anything decent on it.
Microsoft has market share in Japan?
Figures show PS5 is doing about 15k a week, Switch is doing 250k a week. I didn't look at Xbox.

In November it did 0.2% of sales for the X and 0.5% for the S.

People in Japan want that mobile feature in the Switch, which is also heavily supported by Japanese Devs. According to reports Sony has dropped the ball on Japanese devs aiming for a more USA centric system.
I believe 1 Japanese title has been launched with Gran Turismo announced for the future. Apparently that is it for now. So if you like Japanese RPG's and other cartoon centric games you're probably not that interested in Sony PS5 right now if your Japanese. The report I read (can't find it right now it came up on my phone) didn't mention Resident Evil 8. Konami are noticeably absent, Namco and Taito haven't announced hardly anything if anything at all.

There is a blurb about switching the X and O around on the PS5 which might have upset a few Japanese since they have been used to the configuration since Dec 1994.

At the launch of PS4, it got released in USA first because Sony knew the Japanese market would ignore the Xbox series. Maybe they have taken things a bit too far on prioritizing the USA market with almost all launch games being USA developed. PS5 is absolutely huge as well, I Cannot imagine its popular being as big as a mini suit case.

Apparently a forced docked Switch pro might be coming out this year according to rumourville. If it supports 4k, has complete backwards compatibility with peoples current switch, it just makes sense that people will stick to a brand that has that crossover. Personally I believe its marketing genius. I actually have more games for the Switch than my PS4 now and I've had the PS4 since launch. I bought Switch Jan 2020.

My friend had a PS5 for a few days, he said the controller was the star of the show. When I watch footage of PS5 games I just see cinematics, when I see gameplay it looks tired and regurgitated. Like I've said a million times before there needs to be a balance of games that are long 40 hour adventures and those 15 minute burst of arcade titles thrown in the mix. If you gave me Ridge Racer PS5 right now I would be all over it like a rash, throw £500 on a PS5 and be over the moon. PS5 is powerful enough to give us a Daytona sequal with 40 cars, crashes and addrenaline rushing gameplay.. where is it?

What made the Playstation brand is absent now. We just have PC games in Playstation branding and that is the saddest thing about gaming i've said in the last 20 years.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Japan's a little weird when it comes to console sales, at times. That being said, there is almost nothing on any of these systems. The main thing now is playing older games, with more power.
Even the "new games" are remakes or remasters.

I'm sure they'll buy more, if they start getting a bunch of new games that they like. Specifically made for the PS5, and not crossgen titles.
We're a little more "impulse buy" in the West, it seems.

And yes, the system is quite large (the Series X is big, but not as). It's also shaped weird. I don't like how both of the new systems look kind of dumb, unless you have them standing vertically. You'd think that the Series X wouldn't, but it's very obviously on it's side, due to the stand on the bottom, and the way the logos are place on it. Also, the green top makes it obvious it's not supposed to be on it's side.

I'd be interested to see a "slim" model of PS5, and I wonder if they'll ever be a "Pro" version of it?
Also, I really wish they would patch some older games. I doubt many companies will, but it would be nice. I'd love to unlock the framerate on Gravity Rush 2, and The Last Guardian (yes, I know it is unlocked on disc, but the camera is too bad, unpatched). Evil Within could stand to have it's old resolution back, now that it has the power to run at 30fps, and be 1080p in full screen mode. I'm a little more hopeful for the Sony games, since... well, it's their console. Maybe Bethesda will do something for their older games on Series X. Never know.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

From its specs, it seems like the KFConsole will cost thousands of dollars so I don't expect it to be a viable competitor in the current console war.
Marc

Post by Marc »

It’s not in my possession as of yet, but I’ve just pre-ordered the Intellivision Amico. Yeah, yeah, stop sniggering. I’ll fully admit, this is one purchase made with nostalgia goggles strapped firmly on, what can I say? It was my first console, and I do still genuinely love quite a few of its games (Astorsmash, Deadly Discs, Night Stalker, Nova Blast, Advanced D&D). It’s one console I’m still hoping for a modern replica that will play my carts actually, the one I’ve got powers up, but I can’t find a picture on the tuner.
It’s also had quite a few arcade games listed for release, not sure what the crack is there, but apparently they will be expanded / upgraded versions….

I’m still quite impressed that the thing does actually look set to release, unlike that entire Atari debacle.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Hey now, the Atari Box shipped to backers, it exists! Don't slander the good name of Atari (psssh.. hahahah... hooo...) It's strictly inferior to an actual Atari 2600 or a standard system on a chip phone/tablet, just as promised!

I assume that they don't mine bitcoins for Atari, so I guess that's progress??
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Oh man... the Amico *popcorn gif*

Marc dit you check the many CUPodcast episodes chronicling this endeavor? I gotta say I'm not impressed at all by Tommy Talarico :lol: so much lying and deceiving
BryanM wrote:From its specs, it seems like the KFConsole will cost thousands of dollars so I don't expect it to be a viable competitor in the current console war.
well that's one ARM emulation box that I didn't know aboot. will check it out.

and yes the Atari VCS at least made it to market, there's that. That's a lot more than many neo-retro consoles in the last few years.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

neorichieb1971 wrote:There is a blurb about switching the X and O around on the PS5 which might have upset a few Japanese since they have been used to the configuration since Dec 1994.
It's not just the PlayStation aspect of it, culturally in Japan O = good or yes, X = no or bad. It's how school teachers grade tests. Someone who wants to indicate "no" in an emphatic fashion will make a big X by crossing their forearms. I don't really know why they bothered, it didn't matter to anyone except people like me who bought a Japanese PS4 but mostly use a North American account. And even then it takes me all of 5 seconds to reorient myself.

[quote I actually have more games for the Switch than my PS4 now and I've had the PS4 since launch. I bought Switch Jan 2020.[/quote]

I got my (first) PS4 at the midnight launch. I got my Switch in December 2019. I'm pretty sure I have as many Switch games now as I do PS3 & 4 combined. It's just a more pleasant & streamlined OS to quickly get in & out of.
If you gave me Ridge Racer PS5 right now I would be all over it like a rash, throw £500 on a PS5 and be over the moon. PS5 is powerful enough to give us a Daytona sequal with 40 cars, crashes and addrenaline rushing gameplay.. where is it?

What made the Playstation brand is absent now. We just have PC games in Playstation branding and that is the saddest thing about gaming i've said in the last 20 years.
The PS4 didn't feel like a 'PlayStation' to me for a long time, because for the first time ever Ridge Racer was absent at a PS launch. They shut down Studio Liverpool for some unfathomable reason. And Final Fantasy was lame again. Metal Gear Solid died. Killzone died. Tomb Raider became associated with the Microsoft brand. The Order 1886 was late yet still pushed out the door too early, and subsequently crashed & burned. Silent Hill was a memory. Street Fighter V hit and everybody hated it, at least in the beginning. Resident Evil was still around but didn't make much noise. I still played it a ton because of Destiny, but not much else. Fortunately I think the system did get a 'soul' with Bloodborne & God of War. The two Uncharted games weren't bad either, although 4 went on for a bit too long. I personally loved the two classical world Assassin's Creed games. Then, just as the PS3 had before it, the system went out on a high note with Sekiro, Last of Us & Tsushima.

So the system will have some tentpoles to be fondly remembered by, it even gave us Shenmue III, for better or worse. But oddly I spent most of its lifespan playing Nintendo consoles because they did a way better job catering to the retro crowd. At present I have no plans to get a PS5 for the exact reason you said - I might as well jump to PC at this point. Maybe down the road I can circle back around for a handful of exclusives. But sidelining Japan will excise a lot of what made the brand special. Switch will become the default home of Japanese development.

We need another Sega console to even the balance.
Marc

Post by Marc »

FinalBaton wrote:Oh man... the Amico *popcorn gif*

Marc dit you check the many CUPodcast episodes chronicling this endeavor? I gotta say I'm not impressed at all by Tommy Talarico :lol: so much lying and deceiving
BryanM wrote:From its specs, it seems like the KFConsole will cost thousands of dollars so I don't expect it to be a viable competitor in the current console war.
well that's one ARM emulation box that I didn't know aboot. will check it out.

and yes the Atari VCS at least made it to market, there's that. That's a lot more than many neo-retro consoles in the last few years.
I've seen a few presentations and such, but no, I'm not aware of this - mind summing up for me?
Wasn't aware the VCS box had actually made it out. That's.... something I guess.
bcass

Post by bcass »

I've had a PS5 since launch, and having used it almost every day (Demon's Souls) I'd say it has the worst build quality, and the worst quality control of any Sony console I have ever bought. In no way does it look or feel like a premium product. The plastic materials look and feel very cheap. It sometimes makes weird clicking noises, this mostly happens after it's been turned off, although sometimes during gameplay, maybe when moving between areas. It sounds like plastic expanding / contracting. The new UI is garbage and unintuitive. Limiting game save backup (for PS5 games) to PS+ uploads only is one of the most mean-spirited moves I've ever seen from a console manufacturer. Overall, it feels like an unfinished product (maybe Sony didn't have time to finish the USB gamesave backup for PS5 games yet?).

I reckon Microsoft caught Sony off-guard when they announced the Series X, and Sony had no option but to release an unfinished product. I only bought it for Demon's Souls, I have no interest in any of Sony's first party Hollywood-inspired narrative-driven trash. For me, it's a Demon's Souls and Bloodborne box. I pray that FromSoft do not make any more Playstation exclusives because I honestly couldn't give a fuck about Sony as a company and have no desire to give them any more of my money.
Blackfielding

Post by Blackfielding »

The other day I got PS 5 as a present and I must say that in reality it looks much better than in photos. Famous "sony style" :) What I like most of all that this thing is crazy powerful! In terms of productivity I didn't have any issues either. I must admit that playing Destiny 2 with Eyes of Tomorrow (bought it here) is uncomparable now.
Last edited by Blackfielding on Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

bcass wrote:I've had a PS5 since launch, and having used it almost every day (Demon's Souls) I'd say it has the worst build quality, and the worst quality control of any Sony console I have ever bought. In no way does it look or feel like a premium product. The plastic materials look and feel very cheap. It sometimes makes weird clicking noises, this mostly happens after it's been turned off, although sometimes during gameplay, maybe when moving between areas. It sounds like plastic expanding / contracting. The new UI is garbage and unintuitive. Limiting game save backup (for PS5 games) to PS+ uploads only is one of the most mean-spirited moves I've ever seen from a console manufacturer. Overall, it feels like an unfinished product (maybe Sony didn't have time to finish the USB gamesave backup for PS5 games yet?).

I reckon Microsoft caught Sony off-guard when they announced the Series X, and Sony had no option but to release an unfinished product. I only bought it for Demon's Souls, I have no interest in any of Sony's first party Hollywood-inspired narrative-driven trash. For me, it's a Demon's Souls and Bloodborne box. I pray that FromSoft do not make any more Playstation exclusives because I honestly couldn't give a fuck about Sony as a company and have no desire to give them any more of my money.
Shame to hear that. I've had my eye on a PS5 because I have a bunch of PS4 games I decided I wanted to grab late in 2020, and PS5's backwards compatibility meant I might as well future proof myself. I'm still waiting for my chance to grab one - but with slightly more trepidation.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
BryanM

Shark Shark 2023

Post by BryanM »

Hello Intellivision Amico thread.

It appears that its console pack-in exclusive game, Shark Shark, is now available to purchase on Steam for fifteen buckeroos.

I can give you a fairly long list of much better games available for the brutal purchase price of $0, if you want.

Even for the standards of 40 years ago... within a year, they soared far far above this..
Marc

Post by Marc »

Marc wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:29 am It’s not in my possession as of yet, but I’ve just pre-ordered the Intellivision Amico. Yeah, yeah, stop sniggering. I’ll fully admit, this is one purchase made with nostalgia goggles strapped firmly on, what can I say? It was my first console, and I do still genuinely love quite a few of its games (Astorsmash, Deadly Discs, Night Stalker, Nova Blast, Advanced D&D). It’s one console I’m still hoping for a modern replica that will play my carts actually, the one I’ve got powers up, but I can’t find a picture on the tuner.
It’s also had quite a few arcade games listed for release, not sure what the crack is there, but apparently they will be expanded / upgraded versions….

I’m still quite impressed that the thing does actually look set to release, unlike that entire Atari debacle.
Haha how wrong can one person be!? :D
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Sorry the console didn't do what you wanted. :( If you're into Astrosmash, please check out this "Smashteroid" remake, I thought it was pretty cool (and it was my first exposure to the game!).