Aleste is coming back?!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Jonpachi

Re: Aleste is coming back?!

Post by Jonpachi »

So stoked to get into this next week when my PS4 copy arrives. M2 STG is basically a holiday tradition at this point.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
BIL

Post by BIL »

I love that subtitle btw. :mrgreen:

GG ALESTE 3
LAST MESSIAH
CMcK

Post by CMcK »

Can anyone confirm the PS4 standard version of the Aleste collection definitely includes the new GG Aleste 3 game? All the retailers I’ve looked at don’t mention it and I don’t want to spend £70+ for four games I already have.
iNFAMESS

Post by iNFAMESS »

CMcK wrote:Can anyone confirm the PS4 standard version of the Aleste collection definitely includes the new GG Aleste 3 game? All the retailers I’ve looked at don’t mention it and I don’t want to spend £70+ for four games I already have.
Switch standard version has it so I'm gonna assume the same as well for PS4.
BIL

Post by BIL »

You're right, seems difficult to find mention of GG Aleste 3 in the standard retailer text on P-A etc.

FWIW, the basic digital version on PSN includes GG Aleste 3. I'm loathe to say it's definitely the same for the standard physical, as I can't read a word of Japanese, but I get the impression GGA3 is a basic feature here.

Would be some incredible cheek if they displayed GGA3's pilot on the cover sans her game :shock: :lol:
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

BIL wrote:You're right, seems difficult to find mention of GG Aleste 3 in the standard retailer text on P-A etc.
Wonder if some of the retailer text is from before they officially announced GG Aleste 3 and never got updated?
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

https://youtu.be/RL2U8KE7V5s

Shmup Junkie has uploaded a full playthrough.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Jonpachi wrote:M2 STG is basically a holiday tradition at this point.
Right?? Definitely becoming a trend for me too.

In 2016 I handed my wife the Garegga boxed edition and said "here, wrap this and give it to me for Christmas please", played it most of the day on Christmas like I was a little kid. Same thing last year with Esp.ra.de. This year I get Aleste (AND the new Astro City mini that showed up a couple days ago)!

I always find a way to sneak in a play of Deathsmiles II too.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

BIL wrote:You're right, seems difficult to find mention of GG Aleste 3 in the standard retailer text on P-A etc.

FWIW, the basic digital version on PSN includes GG Aleste 3. I'm loathe to say it's definitely the same for the standard physical, as I can't read a word of Japanese, but I get the impression GGA3 is a basic feature here.

Would be some incredible cheek if they displayed GGA3's pilot on the cover sans her game :shock: :lol:
I'm under the impression it's included with the game since the MC in it is on the cover art. I can't wait to play it. It just shipped out from Amazon jp via DHL.
CMcK

Post by CMcK »

Thanks for the info and link. I’ll be buying that tonight.
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

Nice! Just found M2 has scanned manuals for the Aleste games, GG Micro and Big Window Micro.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Spoiler
Considering the true ending of GG Aleste 3 has Luna taking a selfie at a beach, one can’t help but wonder if Luna has a social media account like Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram. That would be very cool.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

BulletMagnet wrote:Hmmmm...
Like I commented on that story, I'm not sure that really means much? All of the Japanese ShotTriggers games have English trophies. That includes Mahou Daisakusen (released 3.5 years ago in Japan) and Esp.ra.de. (~1 year ago). I mean... maybe it happens? It does seem they're making a decent effort to do western releases, perhaps the whole ShotTriggers line. But Aleste is pretty damn niche to western audiences, so it also wouldn't really surprise me to never see that one leave Japan.

Other thoughts on the Aleste Collection:
GG Aleste 3 is great stuff, and Power Strike 2 and GG Aleste 2 are new to me. And OMG, I didn't really realize they were both 1993 releases - Mark III and GG were basically "dead" consoles by that point, and these games really pushed the hardware limits (particularly Power Strike 2). I'm having fun discovering games I really didn't have much experience with. For me, Robo Aleste is the only game in the series I've played a lot (and a little bit of MUSHA).

Been playing on PS4 downloaded version of the collection, and I have the Switch LE with the GG Mini showing up on Monday for my late Christmas present to myself! I'm kinda pumped about the goofy little Game Gear, TBH.
Wilsoncqb1911

Post by Wilsoncqb1911 »

Anybody have a translation of the options menu? There are several on the system or gameplay tab (I cant remember what it is called) that I cant sus out and dont feel that I've seen in other M2 releases
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

BulletMagnet wrote:Hmmmm...
I noticed that too when playing the PS4 version (which arrived today, along with the GG micro). I also bought the switch one on digital. Power Strike II seems to have been adjusted to run at the correct speed in NTSC. Really impressed with GG Aleste 3. Makes nice use of the GG color palette. Odd resolution choices for Power Strike II SMS. Not sure why it has to be shrunk so much to use the gadgets at a nice looking aspect ratio.

Wow. GG micro is tiny, even with the magnifying lens, which actually works surprisingly well. Screen is amazingly clear for the size, though. D-pad is ok, but a bit too mushy. Definitely recommend the SMB Game & Watch over this, which is still a questionable value, but has arguably the best d-pad on a Nintendo handheld in years and has a bigger screen to go with the small form factor. Then again, it's not like the Aleste games have been ported as much as SMB, especially not GG Aleste 3. Really impressed with how M2 continues to include new/semi-new games designed for older hardware in their collections.
Wittischism

Post by Wittischism »

Just downloaded on PS4 tonight. What a great collection and using optimized mode, it's even better, imo.
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

GG3 is pretty cool, even if there's several re-used elements/assets from 1 and 2, but Special difficulty really is...special. With the limited space you actually have to move around on the screen, it makes all the suicide bullets and patterns so not-fun to deal with. Normal mode is fine and decently 1CC-able, but I can't quite see where enjoyment of Special would come from.

Good collection overall, though SMS Aleste is also a little bit absurd in it's simplicity and kinda feels like an alternate version of Zanac. The physical collector's edition price is far too astronomical, even if the GG Micro is cool, it's not $300 cool. I've seen that the Big Window is pretty cheap build quality/plastic too, so it especially makes that less than worthwhile.
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

MachineAres 1CC wrote: it's not $300 cool.
I agree the whole package is overpriced. However the retail price was below $200 shipped.
Amazon's recent PS4 restock was on sale at ¥13200 with ¥1650 shipping so roughly $150

Disappointingly my Amazon exclusive case insert has a crease in it and the GG Micro box is torn.
Special World

Post by Special World »

So how is the Aleste switch collection? I like Space Megaforce and Musha but could really leave em, so I dunno much else about the series (i know those arent on here). GG Aleste 3 looks pretty fun? I do like Zanac Special a lot (i know thats also not on here, but like for comparison)

Also, all versions include GG Aleste 3, right? It’s not some kind of whack special edition deal like Darius Cozmic?
Last edited by Special World on Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
MachineAres 1CC

Koa Zo wrote:
I agree the whole package is overpriced. However the retail price was below $200 shipped.
Amazon's recent PS4 restock was on sale at ¥13200 with ¥1650 shipping so roughly $150

Disappointingly my Amazon exclusive case insert has a crease in it and the GG Micro box is torn.
Seems odd that retailers would raise the price on something across the board like that, and most indications I can find show it's always been $200+ shipped, so not quite sure what you mean here
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

MachineAres 1CC wrote:
Koa Zo wrote:

Seems odd that retailers would raise the price on something across the board like that, and most indications I can find show it's always been $200+ shipped, so not quite sure what you mean here
Pre-order sold out quickly and Amazon initially only shipped the PS4 version to the US, but I paid around 160 dollars for the Aleste Collection for PS4 with the GG Micro from Amazon Japan. And it's not so odd, scalpers rushed in with absurd prices even before Amazon officially made it available for ordering. Not to mention the difficulties with importing due to COVID.

edit: Looks like it's back in stock and Amazon Japan is currently selling it at retail price (around 160 USD).
Last edited by BrianC on Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
steveovig

Post by steveovig »

Does this have online leaderboards?
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Special World wrote:Also, all versions include GG Aleste 3, right? It’s not some kind of whack special edition deal like Darius Cozmic?
All versions have GG Aleste 3, AFAIK. It's even on the mini included with the Deluxe version. Even the digital version I bought for switch has GG Aleste 3. You mean that Amazon Exclusive deal with the Extra version MD Darius? At least the non-extra is on the Genesis mini and the Extra version will be available on actual cart.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Was it all worth $360? Probably not.

Been bouncing back and forth between all five games since I've never played any of the 8-bit Aleste games. They definitely are very straightforward and they've all got that Compile length going for them. Definitely cool to see all of the different graphical tricks they pulled on the GameGear.
silvergunner

Post by silvergunner »

Is it possible to turn the blue borders in Power Strike II into black ?
MachineAres 1CC

BrianC wrote:edit: Looks like it's back in stock and Amazon Japan is currently selling it at retail price (around 160 USD).
Oh, good call, it actually just went on sale again for about $130, so I grabbed one
silvergunner wrote:Is it possible to turn the blue borders in Power Strike II into black ?
Best option is just to turn it to the "Manual" display setting in Screen options then increase the screen size a little to get the borders to go away completely, otherwise, you can't change their color. See the image below
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Watched a stream of this and I couldn't believe I was about to pass on the game. It really brought me back to when I grew up playing the master system and later owned a game gear.

My copy just arrived and I'm so stoked to try this out. I'm going to feel like a kid again playing this :D
silvergunner

Post by silvergunner »

silvergunner wrote:Is it possible to turn the blue borders in Power Strike II into black ?
Best option is just to turn it to the "Manual" display setting in Screen options then increase the screen size a little to get the borders to go away completely, otherwise, you can't change their color. See the image below
Image[/quote]

:shock: How big is your television ? My 43" screen need a set up of 561% (V/H) :lol:
btw. thank you !

I love this collection so much especially for Power Strike II (SMS) and GG Aleste 3 :D
And the option to turn off slow downs (and sprite flickering)...just wow!

EDIT Am I disable to play Aleste (SMS,1988) or is it hard as nails ?
BIL

Post by BIL »

Even on the slowdown-aided cart, SMS Aleste can be pretty ornery if you're not aggressively building up a head of steam from the get-go. Don't drop too many P chips! Use them Mahou Daisakusen skills. :wink: Remember you're invincible when picking up items, and while you're overlapping something your shot rate goes through the fuckin roof. And max out your special weapon obviously. I just use the willy-waving laser the whole way through, the vertical bar that snakes up the screen from side to side. Pierces, flops about like mad, does good damage.