I DID IT! Share your latest 1CCs/other triumphs here...

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BareKnuckleRoo

Re: I DID IT! Share your latest 1CCs/other triumphs here...

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

1-All'd Ketsui, and with a good 2 extra lives to spare. I broke down and used the Tiger Schwert, but honestly the spread shot is really helpful for rapidly taking down targets, and the Panzer Jager's speed is only negligibly faster when using the lock on. If the Panzer were much faster (like Laser vs Shot style difference in Dodonpachi) I think I'd find it better, but its speed is only really faster when using the rapid shot. Panzer's better for scoring and in the 2nd loops where revenge bullets are spawned I'd imagine, but the Tiger's very manageable.

The final boss went alarmingly well considering it was the first time I fought it in a live run, and hadn't credit fed to it in about a zillion years.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/794697195
miwa

Post by miwa »

Amazing, congratulations!! Gonna watch your run right away
leodash

Post by leodash »

I did it! 1CC'ed Espgaluda!

I hate Jakou. I really really hate Jakou.

Bought Logitech F310 recently. The D-pad is really good, at least for me.

https://youtu.be/H1pmpnjjlS8
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Ark Area (UPL 1987 arcade) has some amazing Engrish when you clear it:

Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

leodash wrote:I did it! 1CC'ed Espgaluda!

Espgaluda is so good. One of CAVE's very best. I think it's the combination of the inspired art style and unapologetically techno soundtrack. There just isn't another game that both looks and sounds like this, or atleast didn't at the time.

Also the difficulty curve is something else. A kinder, gentler first 5 stages and then one of the most terrifying and difficult bosses in a shmup to close it out. And while that sounds kinda bad on paper, I think it works to create a really memorable and immensely satisfying game. I bet damn near eveyone who clears that game will remember it for a very long time. And since the earlier levels aren't super intense by CAVE standards it's possible to stock up on lives and bombs for the big duel at the end.

Congrats!
leodash

Post by leodash »

To Far Away Times wrote:Espgaluda is so good. One of CAVE's very best. I think it's the combination of the inspired art style and unapologetically techno soundtrack. There just isn't another game that both looks and sounds like this, or atleast didn't at the time.

Also the difficulty curve is something else... -snip-

Congrats!
Agreed. I have some of Espgaluda soundtracks I put under 'My Favorite Shmups OST' playlist on Youtube so I can hear them again.

Also, thank you!
OmKol

Post by OmKol »

leodash wrote:I did it! 1CC'ed Espgaluda!

Congratulations!

Yeah, this game is definitely intense during TLB fight and it definitely requires some learning.

Btw Logitech F310 is really nice! The only flaw for me is it can break too easily but I do every shmup on this gamepad including the hardest clears!
leodash

Post by leodash »

OmKol wrote:Btw Logitech F310 is really nice! The only flaw for me is it can break too easily but I do every shmup on this gamepad including the hardest clears!
Oh, I didn't know about that. I'll be more careful now. Thanks for the warning.
miwa

Post by miwa »

Got the GUWANGE 1cc during the weekend! I think that one really stands out among the rest of the cave shmups.

https://youtu.be/zW-DBPaVHEk
mastermx

Post by mastermx »

Today I accomplished my greatest shmup achievement. I lost two lives in stage 1 and didn't restart my run. I know to many this is not a big deal. But restart syndrome is real.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Miwa, congrats on a tough clear; I have skimmed and will be rewatching when I want to eventually get that clear myself (furthest I've gotten is stage 5 boss). I use the archer gal though; hopefully most skills transfer over.
mastermx wrote:Today I accomplished my greatest shmup achievement. I lost two lives in stage 1 and didn't restart my run. I know to many this is not a big deal. But restart syndrome is real.
This too is an accomplishment! Fight against the urge to bin every run. I've had a few runs (e.g. Mahou Daisakusen) where I died embarrassingly early on but gritted through to get an improbable 1cc/1all!
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

In most of my runs for horizontal memorizer style games I just quit as soon as I lose a life. Though not always.

And I'll almost never restart a vertical shmup if I die early, since there isn't that much punishment on death usually and unless you need to completely maximize your resources to squeak by you'll be allowed a dumb death or two.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Beat the Elite Mode of Mars Matrix on the hardest difficulty without losing a single life!
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

xxx1993 wrote:Beat the Elite Mode of Mars Matrix on the hardest difficulty without losing a single life!
insane accomplishment; how did you manage this? Did you save the score on your dreamcast VMU? congrats in any case!
To Far Away Times wrote:In most of my runs for horizontal memorizer style games I just quit as soon as I lose a life. Though not always.

And I'll almost never restart a vertical shmup if I die early, since there isn't that much punishment on death usually and unless you need to completely maximize your resources to squeak by you'll be allowed a dumb death or two.
As a good example to add to this discussion, earlier this evening I managed to get my first clear of Castle Shikigami 1, playing the PC version. I've been practicing it on and off over the last few weeks and was constantly getting setback through dumb deaths etc.

In my clear, I had two very stupid deaths on stage 1, of all places. In a game where you start with 3 lives and some pretty far-out extends. Usually I would quit there with 2 deaths but I was sick of restarting over and over again (the end of a long practice session), so I decided to just play it out. Despite being down 2 lives, I didn't get hit again until the final boss! And this was after earning back two score extends (and getting a third on the boss itself). I luckily recorded the video here.

So it's a good idea to never give up -too- early, within reason!
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Nice going on Shikigami! I have some fond memories of playing this game on PC maaaany years ago. :D

I totally agree about trying to make the most of every run. Nice to see how this approach paid off for you.

Where it gets difficult for me is playing for score on a game like Thunder Force series or Darius series where you get an absolutely massive end of game bonus for a no miss. It becomes all about that final bonus screen as you see your score literally double in one moment. One death might mean you already know you will already be at least 1 million below your best.

I read the advice of a superplayer once. It was SWY or somebody along those lines, although I can't remember the exact interview now. Their advice was to not restart, but to use those botched runs to experiment more aggressively. Get some practice on a trickier pattern that nets more points, or milk a boss that you normally just quick kill. Now you have permission to play around a bit and take more risks while still having the pressure of going for the 1cc during a full run. Just give yourself a secondary goal to play for to keep the run fun and interesting.

One of the drawbacks with save states is while they're great for learning and studying, the removal of all pressure to perform doesn't prepare you for the choke factor that comes in when you get nervous on an actual run.

It's like learning a combo in training mode for a fighting game vs being able to land it under pressure against a good opponent. It can take a few minutes or hours to learn in training mode, but years to become that zen master that is rock solid under pressure.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

EmperorIng wrote:
xxx1993 wrote:Beat the Elite Mode of Mars Matrix on the hardest difficulty without losing a single life!
insane accomplishment; how did you manage this? Did you save the score on your dreamcast VMU? congrats in any case!
To Far Away Times wrote:In most of my runs for horizontal memorizer style games I just quit as soon as I lose a life. Though not always.

As a good example to add to this discussion, earlier this evening I managed to get my first clear of Castle Shikigami 1, playing the PC version. I've been practicing it on and off over the last few weeks and was constantly getting setback through dumb deaths etc.

In my clear, I had two very stupid deaths on stage 1, of all places. In a game where you start with 3 lives and some pretty far-out extends. Usually I would quit there with 2 deaths but I was sick of restarting over and over again (the end of a long practice session), so I decided to just play it out. Despite being down 2 lives, I didn't get hit again until the final boss! And this was after earning back two score extends (and getting a third on the boss itself). I luckily recorded the video here.

So it's a good idea to never give up -too- early, within reason!
Actually, I didn't get any high score... But I still beat it without losing a single life!
Flobeamer1922

Post by Flobeamer1922 »

In the early morning of December 6th, I scored over 12 million points and cleared eight loops of Tatsujin! This credit lasted around four hours and fifteen minutes.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Didn't it get boring? :o

Amazing. Tatujin Oh 10+a next?
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
Flobeamer1922

Post by Flobeamer1922 »

Thanks! I wouldn't say it got boring, but by around loop 5 or so, I could feel fatigue starting to set in, and it caused me to make a few careless moves that almost got me killed, and in a couple of cases, did get me killed. Thankfully, I was able to hold it together long enough to get the score!

As for Tatsujin Oh, can't say I'll be getting 10m anytime soon. Having to endure the extremely high difficulty level of loop 2+ for multiple hours is a challenge that, at least right now, is far beyond my abilities. Perhaps someday, I'll get good enough at the game to do that. Who knows?
NMS

Post by NMS »

Finally got a 1-ALL on Kyukyoku Tiger.
Oh boy it did take some time, I always mess up at some point and recovering is really hard (but very fun too) during the second half. I thought the run was over when I died at the last stage 8 checkpoint with 2 lives remaining but I somehow managed to make a comeback. Very fun run, I don't think I died twice at the same checkpoint actually.
Didn't go too far in the second loop unfortunately.

I have a lot of nostalgia for the game but never really tried to 1cc it, finally clearing it was satisfying.

https://youtu.be/tiL53Oy9dUU
GGA_HAN

Post by GGA_HAN »

Finally put together a clear on the ACA release of Zero Team on Switch! I'm pretty happy about getting this, beat 'em up's are not a strong genre for me usually. Really fun game, I'm so glad it has been ported to consoles.

Link of replay here, for anyone wanting to see.
Flobeamer1922

Post by Flobeamer1922 »

NMS wrote:Finally got a 1-ALL on Kyukyoku Tiger.
Oh boy it did take some time, I always mess up at some point and recovering is really hard (but very fun too) during the second half. I thought the run was over when I died at the last stage 8 checkpoint with 2 lives remaining but I somehow managed to make a comeback. Very fun run, I don't think I died twice at the same checkpoint actually.

I have a lot of nostalgia for the game but never really tried to 1cc it, finally clearing it was satisfying.

Congrats on the 1-ALL! Definitely among Toaplan's harder games. Will you try for a 2-ALL?
NMS

Post by NMS »

Flobeamer1922 wrote:
NMS wrote:Finally got a 1-ALL on Kyukyoku Tiger.

Congrats on the 1-ALL! Definitely among Toaplan's harder games. Will you try for a 2-ALL?
Thanks! :D
I will probably try later yes, right now I'm focusing on something else but I will come back to this great game later.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

The war is finally over. Wayne Brothers and their homeland can enjoy their peace now.

Sturmvogel Prime

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

After almost 30 years, I've finally finished Darius Twin in Normal without dying once and without increasing the starting lives on Options.
Route: A-B-D-E-H-J-L
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

Great! Ive also made three Darius Twin runs this year and did even a path with the in my opinion hardest world "H" but with "K" after that: ABDEHKL
But I had really just not enough fun with this game to make a better run without lifeloss or something... The Red Mist killed me twice.
But anyway I've recorded it here: https://youtu.be/0TT4kaPfOpM
I accidently got the non piercing shot at the end, wich made it a bit harder^^
I've also made a bossmilk-score-run (have just a screenshot) with over 4 million pts.
And on the route ACDFIKL I managed to get through the game without a lost life... but not with this score: https://youtu.be/aQNZ2MLAgW4

I've also made three runs in Turrican (-like) games. No STGs but anyway:
Gunlord X: https://youtu.be/Yk8rx4STQcQ
Ultracore: https://youtu.be/acP25dzLRk0
Super Turrican NES: https://youtu.be/AkgHOSPixDQ

After my last R-Type Final Runs with the RX-10, the R12 and the R9, I also got through the game with the:
R90 Ragnarog 1: https://youtu.be/RYJBq0PH8LI
R90 Ragnarog 2: https://youtu.be/zy3OjukXZck
and the R13 Cerberus: https://youtu.be/Ofbl0FOoQx8

The latest little 1cc was in Tiger Heli on the NES. Here Ive made a 2-All and the first loop without losing one life:
https://youtu.be/4bkTH5aPnRk
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Sturmvogel Prime wrote:After almost 30 years, I've finally finished Darius Twin in Normal without dying once and without increasing the starting lives on Options.
Nomissing any Darius game is no small feat, great job. I find a lot of the Darius games really challenging.
Angry Hina wrote:I've also made three runs in Turrican (-like) games. No STGs but anyway:
We still love run 'n guns! <3 Great runs.
miwa

Post by miwa »

Just got the 1-ALL in DoDonPachi DOJ! The fantastic soundtrack helped me grind through it :lol:

https://youtu.be/sZKnenkzZgI
BIL

Post by BIL »

A milestone clear - but I'm shamelessly posting to admire that thumbnail :cool: