Just plain good games that you should buy

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
cave hermit

Just plain good games that you should buy

Post by cave hermit »

Post games that are just plain good and that you should buy.

I recommend Synthetik. Just got a major content update, currently a mere $5 on Steam (also now on Switch and Xbox), tense overhead tactical shooter roguelike, watch this video for more information than I could adequately explain https://youtu.be/r5tsEJgPn30

If you're on the fence, here is a free standalone horde mode/stage 1 demo for the main game https://store.steampowered.com/app/9841 ... TIK_Arena/
Stevens

Re: Just plain good games that you should buy

Post by Stevens »

Wasteland 2 DC on Steam/PS 4. I mean if you like CRPGs, and maybe even if you don't yet. I never played one before WL2.

One of the few examples of a game that gives the player a ridiculous number of ways to solve problems, asks the player to make decisions that they will have to live with for the rest of the game (short and long term), has many factions that you can align yourself with or take down, 8,000 lines of dialogue, and if you're not careful your characters will die. Like die.

I am currently replaying it (played it twice in early 2019) and am remembering why I like it so much. Considering kicking the difficulty up just a notch to get a more authentic experience.

Things to be aware of - Rookie difficulty is your friend the first time, and it's a slow burn. First half is good but the 2nd half is phenomenal.
Last edited by Stevens on Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

Helen's Mysterious Castle - Duel-based JRPG. Great, unique combat system, a quick pace, and a lot of charm. A first playthrough should take around 5 hours, and its item-based character building system gives you plenty of interesting things to try out in future runs. Got a replay up here and a longer review here. It's a steal for $2 at playism and steam. The former is DRM-free and comes with a steam key.

I wonder if games you can "buy" for $0 wouldn't be outside the spirit of this thread?
Marc

Post by Marc »

There's a mad sale on Switch at the minute. Retro-inspired platormer Horace is on sale for a pound odd. TOKI for 0.97! Rock Boshers for a quid odd. All great, go buy them Switch people.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
guigui

Post by guigui »

Threads like this, I just cannot help to recommend Subnautica (and turn off the food/water management at the beginning). Putting shmups and Souls Serie apart, this is the game I found to be the most innovative and immersive these last years.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Image PICK A WEAPON Image

A year on, The Ninja Warriors Once Again (PS4/Switch) is a certifiable good'un. One of the most infernally compulsive time attack brawlers. Now we've got the strongest Stage 5 Hardtype Kunoichi on PS4, let's see if we can claw our way up a few spots on the overall table.Image

Kiki Kaikai Again is scheduled to round out the Natsume Power Trio Revival Project, after Wild Guns Reloaded and TNWOA. Consider this a preemptive day 1. Image

As with their godlike i-frame sense, Shunichi Taniguchi & co's pixel art has only gained over the years. I almost feel sorry for those pillaging Nopino pricks - then I remember how damnably smug they get when things are going their way!
Spoiler
EAT PERFECTLY SYNCHRONISED 2P FOCUS FIRE YOU BEADY FUCKS ImageImage
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Grip: Combat Racing. Seriously. This is like the best racing game I've played in 10 years.

Valdis Story Abyssal City. Shockingly slept on Metroidvania in a city that's sunken to the ocean. Anytime anyone talks about this bloated genre, they always skip this and I'm very surprised. It can be mildly frustrating, but it plays extremely well.
MonsterBoy, probably the best Metroidvania I've played since Axiom Verge. Holy shit this one is a masterpiece that again, I don't see anyone talk about. The platforming is just incredible which is something a lot of similar games really skimp on in favor of solely exploration.
And Control. Why do I feel like this game is also slept on? This game is fucking GREAT. Runs great, looks -incredible- and the bonkers surreal art direction is wildly impressive. Environments are always such spectacles. Combat is excellent, weapons feel great, the general idea of the plot is really neat, and sometimes it gets the hairs on my neck standing. Really really damn fine game. I'm trying to finish it. That and Jedi Fallen Order are my favorite recent AAA single player player titles.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

guigui wrote:Threads like this, I just cannot help to recommend Subnautica (and turn off the food/water management at the beginning). Putting shmups and Souls Serie apart, this is the game I found to be the most innovative and immersive these last years.
I just noticed this so I'm sorry for double posting, but yes. Subnautica. I generally steer FAR away from these craft centric open ended games like this but good lord this game was really something the Hell else. A serious adventure for sure. People are critical of it's plot, but I'm generally ok with it because of how it's presented and how it unfolds. It might not be great on paper, but it unfolds as a game very well.
Also F E A R.
This was the most scared I was playing a game since going through the Bottom of the Well/Shadow Temple as a 6 year old. PT didn't even quite get me as hard when I tried that 6 years ago and I feel like Satan was consulted to help with that one. The vulnerability of the game and the sheer unknown is so immensely daunting. Unlike anything I've played before. Going to murky depths, only to see a gargantuan hostile creature that already is aware of you is frightening. Very rarely do I feel such a strong hesitation to press forward. I guess it's the difference of "this is scary to look at" vs "hey...I think I'd ACTUALLY die."

Great fucking game. Don't like the look of the sequel. c:
guigui

Post by guigui »

For sure Subnautica's plot is not the greatest ever, but it is there and very enjoyable to discover the first time you play it ; similar to Bioshock's plot I'd say.
XoPachi wrote:Grip: Combat Racing. Seriously. This is like the best racing game I've played in 10 years.
Could you develop a little ? The game gets frequent discounts and I'm always tempted to buy it, but I'm not so sure. I like fast arcade racer with laps that are not so short, a little weapons, a little competitions, championships.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
Mykaizer

Post by Mykaizer »

BIL wrote:Image PICK A WEAPON Image

A year on, The Ninja Warriors Once Again (PS4/Switch) is a certifiable good'un. One of the most infernally compulsive time attack brawlers. Now we've got the strongest Stage 5 Hardtype Kunoichi on PS4, let's see if we can claw our way up a few spots on the overall table.
How challenging is the game?
BIL

Post by BIL »

Pretty much the 16bit game, only bigger (more screen, more enemies, but you've got an equivalent or better moveset buff). Not arcade-tough, just a harder-than-average arcade-styled console game with ultra-polished mechanics. Natsume's speciality.

It's as a time attack that it really shines. The AI is infernally difficult to pin down, but with such razor-sharp controls and keen iframe design, there's little you can't turn to your advantage. Besides each stage being individually attackable, its five characters are wildly distinct - you could utterly master one, and remain completely in the dark on the others.

I wish they'd do a true sequel (The Ninja Warriors... 2!), with enemies designed to kill outright (at least on upper difficulties). Could use a bit more pressure on pure survival. Bump the current "bosstype" standard down a notch to regular enemy, and implement some really evil bosses, basically.
Marc

Post by Marc »

guigui wrote:For sure Subnautica's plot is not the greatest ever, but it is there and very enjoyable to discover the first time you play it ; similar to Bioshock's plot I'd say.
XoPachi wrote:Grip: Combat Racing. Seriously. This is like the best racing game I've played in 10 years.
Could you develop a little ? The game gets frequent discounts and I'm always tempted to buy it, but I'm not so sure. I like fast arcade racer with laps that are not so short, a little weapons, a little competitions, championships.
Seconded for Grip. It's rough around the edges but fast and hard, with some great course design (non of them particularly short). If you ever played Rollcage on PS1, it's that with shinier graphics.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

guigui wrote: Could you develop a little ? The game gets frequent discounts and I'm always tempted to buy it, but I'm not so sure. I like fast arcade racer with laps that are not so short, a little weapons, a little competitions, championships.
Its all of that.
Youll find the game also has waaaay over the top amounts of customization to tailor to your needs with loads of modes both single player and online.
Standard combat racing. Elimination. Campaign. Pure races. Special parkour stunt tracks. The works. Healthy amount of mostly long ludicrous track design. Like look at this, look...

https://twitter.com/DaserFomalhaut/stat ... 54432?s=19

Look look...

https://twitter.com/DaserFomalhaut/stat ... 88321?s=19

The game is HARD though. Steep learning curve but its not stupid. You can generally understand why youre fucking up.
Mykaizer

Post by Mykaizer »

BIL wrote:Pretty much the 16bit game, only bigger (more screen, more enemies, but you've got an equivalent or better moveset buff). Not arcade-tough, just a harder-than-average arcade-styled console game with ultra-polished mechanics. Natsume's speciality.

It's as a time attack that it really shines. The AI is infernally difficult to pin down, but with such razor-sharp controls and keen iframe design, there's little you can't turn to your advantage. Besides each stage being individually attackable, its five characters are wildly distinct - you could utterly master one, and remain completely in the dark on the others.

I wish they'd do a true sequel (The Ninja Warriors... 2!), with enemies designed to kill outright (at least on upper difficulties). Could use a bit more pressure on pure survival. Bump the current "bosstype" standard down a notch to regular enemy, and implement some really evil bosses, basically.
Hmm.

I would have bought the game had it been extremely difficult. Too bad.
How is streets of rage 4 in terms of challenge?
BIL

Post by BIL »

For reference, what is an extremely difficult beat 'em up to you? It might be I'm underselling it, given I've been playing the SFC original consistently for a decade now.

I remember when I was new, certain stages and bosses would massacre me, until I learned to leverage the characters and exploit the enemies. They tend to beat up even very competent players, until they to get to grips.

So coming into TNWAA, I had a huge advantage. It may be that without that knowledge, the wider playfield, bigger crowds and buffed enemies make things as hard or harder, not easier. I see a crowd of ten and all I can think is how good it's gonna feel to get inside it - because I know you're at your most unstoppable while in superjump - then demolish it from the inside out. A newbie might do something incredibly unwise and inefficient, like attempting to combo the first enemy in line, only for the next's roundhouse to punch straight through and knock him flat - at which point the crowd will move in, and there will be wide selection of erratically-timed punches, kicks, gunshots, lasers and knives raining onto his face and/or ass. This can happen even to experienced players but they will know how to escape. :lol:

Ultimately though, yeah. Its forte is as a time attack with astonishingly assholic AI vs movesets that are infernally good at corralling them. It's an entertaining brawler but not an especially frightening one, by the standards of something like Final Fight or Tenchi wo Kurau II. If you want a hard brawler I would suggest getting the Capcom Belt Action Collection instead, it's got both plus several other excellent picks, and its emulation quality is superb.
Mykaizer

Post by Mykaizer »

Perhaps you were underselling it haha.

I find Final Fight CD to be one of the only beat em ups to be extreme. (Maybe even Streets of Rage 3(US))
Given I am a "noob" with beat em ups. I've beaten only a handful. Now that I think of it.. I find the Golden Axe games to be a pain.
In general though would you agree that the genre is lacking in the challenge department or am I just missing something?
I guess I just need my ass handed to me more hahaha.
Please feel free to name me a few titles to play so I can shut my mouth up. :)

(I understand this thread is about good wholesome well rounded fun games to play but I only found out about Ninja Warriors Again from your post and it got me really interested mainly from the pixel art and the gameplay looks good.) For some reason I was thinking it would be too easy and that I wouldn't put many hours into it. :/
BIL

Post by BIL »

FFCD is the best possible comparison point :mrgreen: Its Time Attack mode is one of the very few I would put on par with TNWAA's. They're technically different - FFCD is "get max kills," TNWAA is "kill all set spawns while fending off nuisance respawners" - but it's the same buzz of systematically demolishing crowds at speed, using your knowledge of both player and enemy movesets to push those scores.

I would say TNWAA (Hard mode) is certainly a notch or two down from FFCD, which I remember being surprisingly difficult. I can never remember offhand how Capcom and Sega rebalanced the SFC and MCD versions for their smaller crowds... all I know is while you don't get the truly eye-popping hordes of the PCB, even a couple Andores and an El Gado are bad news. Big difference being, the SFC game (both regular and Guy) also drops inputs, which turned me off cold. FFCD on the other hand is an essential just for that Time Attack.

Streets of Rage 2's default difficulty is probably a good comparison point for TNWAA. I hesitate only because it's been a while since I played the former.

As for absolute bang/buck ratio, yeah, I'd go with the Belt Action Pack / Beat Em Up Bundle (same content in JP/EN, as far as I know). Tenchi wo Kurau II / Dynasty Warriors alone is a heroic undertaking. Final Fight (I will echo our absent friend Hagane, while also concurring with his eternal FF frenemy Vludi) is bastardly hard, but also maybe not a very good introduction to Capcom's arcade beaters. It can be utterly ruthless in ways that may turn off newcomers, though it is most definitely masterable.

Probably the best intro of the set is Battle Circuit, Capcom Brawling's swan song, and one of those hardcore genre efforts that's user-friendly but not defanged. Also a genuinely funny game imo, particularly if you know Gimmick on the Famicom. Big bad's little buddy cracks me up with his squealing panics and indomitable spirit.
Myketosis wrote:(I understand this thread is about good wholesome well rounded fun games to play but I only found out about Ninja Warriors Again from your post and it got me really interested mainly from the pixel art and the gameplay looks good.) For some reason I was thinking it would be too easy and that I wouldn't put many hours into it. :/
Oh no, definitely wouldn't describe it as overly easy - it's a substantial game with lots to master (one year on, I have STILL not learned Raiden :oops: but only because I enjoy Ninja, Kunoichi and Yaksha so much! Kamaitachi is lame on SFC and... less lame here, but I cannot forgive him just yet!). Much like the (also brilliant, and still worth playing) SFC version, it just lacks that last 5% of absolute expert-killing venom I like in my arcade-styled games. It will most definitely kill anyone up to expert level, with regularity.

But the "anti android squad" enemies I'm talking about would probably hurt feels. >_> I'm talking *shing* fullscreen invincible knockdown and *BAPBAPBAPBAP* instant five character-length mortar and (whatever noise violently arcing electricity makes) 50% HP command grabs all firing off simultaneously at erratic timings via Banglar's last line of defense... FASTY/sword, BOMBY/artillery and GRABBY/hands. It's an utter miracle this game happened at all, can't complain. :lol:

EDIT1: JUST 2 BE CLEAR THO I ain't a masochist. I want these bad bastards so I can BREAK EM ON MAH KNEE Image Those who survive NINJA's hellish grip do so only to face a new nightmare, the JIGOKU no ELBOW DROP Image

Spoiler

EDIT2: All of the above is also completely ignoring a critical asset - AUTHENTIC BOWLING PIN VIOLENCE. In few games, 2D or otherwise, does it feel this good to just obliterate a pack of enemies with their haplessly flailing comrade.

Spoiler

BOOF! That is a goal! Or just beating them savagely with their choked-out buddy, yeah that works too. Image

Spoiler

EDIT3: Oh also - speaking of incredibly unlikely recent brawler releases, see Arcade Archives: Zero Team. It's a riot, and good, too!

Spoiler
Mykaizer

Post by Mykaizer »

Alright man. I think you almost have me sold on this. If I do buy it, it will be the physical which has some goodies in it as well which is nice. The Capcom bundle definitely is a good bang for buck.( Maybe my problem is that the genre itself is a hard sell for me.) I do like em but yeah. I usually like to play Beat em ups coop rather than single player. That's one of the reasons that make the genre so good. It's kind of unusual for me to play em alone hahaha.

Really and truly will consider NWOA.
I have to mention the music is also a seller. Beat em ups like shmups( I prefer to call em shooters ;-) ) need to have stellar music!
Only one gripe is I wish that the androids actually showed their metal bodies as the fake flesh is being ripped off when they take damage like the original arcade game.

Really love your enthusiasm man. I can say that you are a great contribution and part of the beating heart of this site.
(part of the reason why I even registered...some good people on here, and I just like shooters :) )

Thank you kind sir.

I'll try to think of game to add to this thread... can't think of anything off the top of my head. ( I keep thinking about Dark Souls though haha.)
BIL

Post by BIL »

One of these days I'm gonna get around to FromSoft's PS3/onward stuff. I've been idly following them since Otogi, been rad to see them break big. Bloodborne has sat on my shelf for a year now, no doubt infuriating local good boy BURINJU! tbh, I am putting it off just to annoy him. ;3
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

BIL wrote:Image

One of these days I'm gonna get around to FromSoft's PS3/onward stuff.
Please play 3D Dot Game Heroes. Someone...
please.
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

Still in love with Evil Within 1.
I replay it twice a year or more.
Vludi

Post by Vludi »

Bot Vice needs more love, it has some flaws and the controls take some time to get used to, but I still think it's a worthy addition for gallery shooter fans, quite action packed with a great presentation and it plays substantially different to classics like Wild Guns/Blood bros giving it some novelty value.

Fight'n rage is a must if you like beat 'em up, it's pretty much a throwback to 90s classics (mostly Capcom FF-style mechanically) but it spices things up with juggles, parries and a quite frenetic challenge on Unfair difficulty + turbo mode. It only has 3 characters but they are all pretty good, Ricardo is pretty much the best Haggar clone out there (though Tulks comes close), Norris is Guy on 'roids and Gal seems quite agile and flexible though I haven't played much with her.
guigui

Post by guigui »

Vludi wrote:Bot Vice needs more love, it has some flaws and the controls take some time to get used to, but I still think it's a worthy addition for gallery shooter fans, quite action packed with a great presentation and it plays substantially different to classics like Wild Guns/Blood bros giving it some novelty value.
I always had my eyes on Bot Vice, but I found in the demo that the game was quite hard, and I could not improve and kill things without some luck. If you have some beginner tips, I'd be glad to hear them. The game is currently on sale for 2euros on EU shop, so I might be tempted if I can see some improvements possible.
Vludi

Post by Vludi »

guigui wrote:
Vludi wrote:Bot Vice needs more love, it has some flaws and the controls take some time to get used to, but I still think it's a worthy addition for gallery shooter fans, quite action packed with a great presentation and it plays substantially different to classics like Wild Guns/Blood bros giving it some novelty value.
I always had my eyes on Bot Vice, but I found in the demo that the game was quite hard, and I could not improve and kill things without some luck. If you have some beginner tips, I'd be glad to hear them. The game is currently on sale for 2euros on EU shop, so I might be tempted if I can see some improvements possible.
The main strat is to kill enemies in one side of the screen and stick to that side, when enemies are too far from you they can't attack, don't play it too safe though as the game requires you to play somewhat fast to get to the final boss. I'd also advise to use the auto-aim button almost always, it's kind of buggy at times but works well enough and the game is based around that mechanic, as its design is more about movement/evasion than aiming. There are two evasion moves in the game, rolling and covering behind walls, the later is a lot more reliable, only downside is that walls get destroyed after a while if they get enough damage, but overall they are pretty sturdy, as long as you don't use explosive weapons for enemies near to the wall. When there are no walls you have to rely on rolling alone, which is pretty good giving you the expected classic i-frames, but there are some areas/bosses that are clearly designed around the wall-cover mechanic. Melee attack isn't frequently used on enemies since they need to be really close, but it's useful for cancelling some projectiles (bubbles/webs) and killing frogs that jump to your position. Lastly the default gun has a better fire-rate if you mash or use autofire.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

I really like that little studio's games. Bot Vice and Strikey Sisters are nice cool little games. Really remind me of Natsume. Lovely chunky pixel art too. Really looks like SNES games.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

I unsurprisingly bought Wasteland 3, huge jump in presentation over 2. 3 looks like a current gen game where as 2 when it came out looked like a really good PS 2 game.

Made a few characters and jumped into the tutorial stage. A huge change I noticed somewhat quickly is how combat is handled - in 2 character order was determined by combat initiative. Each character, regardless of side, took their turn based on this. In 3 you move your team in any order you wish. Not sure how I feel about that yet - having each character slotted by initiative added to the strategy - it feels more like an actual conflict. Your team/my team makes it feel more like a game. Not a deal breaker by any means though. I'm sure in a day or two I'll love it.

Mostly plays the same on a controller as 2 does on the PS 4. Many of the buttons are the same, although I am still figuring a few things out.

Looking forward to diving into this one. I still am going to finish 2 though - game gets really good in the 2nd half.
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Touhou Spell Bubble. Excellent puzzle/rhythm game combo from Taito based of puzzle bobble with remixes of Touhou songs.
Devidhan

Post by Devidhan »

This game screen is not fun to look at, is there any other game recommendations?
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

Space Mouse 35th anniversary edition: Apparently originally a game published as code for the PC-8001 in a Japanese programming magazine in 1981. This steam version contains renditions of the original PC-8001 game, a version for the Sharp MZ, and a version similar to early Famicom titles. Basically it's a early 80's style arcade game, just run up the floors as fast as you can dodging enemies. Very addictive. Normally $5, currently $2.49 on sale. Also has a recently released sequel in the style of early Namco arcade games.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Stevens wrote:I unsurprisingly bought Wasteland 3, huge jump in presentation over 2. 3 looks like a current gen game where as 2 when it came out looked like a really good PS 2 game.

Made a few characters and jumped into the tutorial stage. A huge change I noticed somewhat quickly is how combat is handled - in 2 character order was determined by combat initiative. Each character, regardless of side, took their turn based on this. In 3 you move your team in any order you wish. Not sure how I feel about that yet - having each character slotted by initiative added to the strategy - it feels more like an actual conflict. Your team/my team makes it feel more like a game. Not a deal breaker by any means though. I'm sure in a day or two I'll love it.

Mostly plays the same on a controller as 2 does on the PS 4. Many of the buttons are the same, although I am still figuring a few things out.

Looking forward to diving into this one. I still am going to finish 2 though - game gets really good in the 2nd half.
I've got Planescape: Torment and Icewind Dale on PS4 - are they similar?