Little things that annoy the hell out of you

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
WelshMegalodon

Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you

Post by WelshMegalodon »

People referring to arcade games as "MAME games".

Not only is MAME clear about not supporting homebrew, it's also featured console and home computer emulation since the MESS merger in 2015.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Also, mame is the product name of an emulator, it's not a platform. :P
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Everybody wants to be a platform these days.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

I've set my home office in my bedroom, which is where my record player is, so I've been listening to more vinyl in the past few weeks. Which has reignited an old rage fire - records that don't clearly mark side A/side B.

While you have a 50% chance of pulling it out to side A, someone has done a shit job if you have to flip it several times to work out what's what. Types of record labelling, in order from sensible to fucking stupid:

* Each side is clearly marked A/B on the label
* Record only has "this side/that side" track listing on one label to indicate sides, side with the track listing is side A
* Record only has "this side/that side" track listing on one label to indicate sides, side with the track listing is side B
* Record's labels do not indicate which is side A/B, but the matrix runout does
* Not even the matrix runout clearly identies side A/B, we hope you're familiar with the first track

I like that there's a convention where you have some artwork on one label and a tracklisting on the other, but no-one can agree which is meant to be which. If you start with the artwork side you still have to flip it to see from the tracklisting which side is which - and flip it back again if the artwork was side A after all! Why is it so difficult to clearly mark the two sides?!
BIL

Post by BIL »

Super Little, SUPER ANNOY: "Print" being directly underneath "Search Google For" in Chrome's text highlight menu.

Yeah computer doodz, I want to bring my offline printer to whirring, clattering life to print out a single word I'm trying to get the definition of, and you just know I'm gonna blow an entire sheet of paper printing said word. It is just how human being roll! Image

Yeah I know, git gud, l2browse, look you fannies I'm here to look up words and get drunk and beat off, maybe you should chill out too and you'd get more clears when the gayme is afoot. Look up that burn you Google chodemonglers Image
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

BIL wrote:Super Little, SUPER ANNOY: "Print" being directly underneath "Search Google For" in Chrome's text highlight menu.

Yeah computer doodz, I want to bring my offline printer to whirring, clattering life to print out a single word I'm trying to get the definition of, and you just know I'm gonna blow an entire sheet of paper printing said word. It is just how human being roll! Image

Yeah I know, git gud, l2browse, look you fannies I'm here to look up words and get drunk and beat off, maybe you should chill out too and you'd get more clears when the gayme is afoot. Look up that burn you Google chodemonglers Image
As far as I know, Firefox and derivatives are the only browsers that lets you customize menus and remove stuff like that. Although at the rate things are going, that might change at some point, too.
BIL

Post by BIL »

tbh I fully expected Chrome to have a similar option, I'm just lazy as all hell and couldn't be arsed to find/use it. :lol:
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

TransatlanticFoe wrote: * Not even the matrix runout clearly identies side A/B, we hope you're familiar with the first track
That's very annoying. I seem to remember that happening before, but I can't think of any actual full-length LPs that don't have an A and B engraved in the runout (that don't have in on the label)

12" singles on the other hand it is rampant. There's a ton of them with blank white labels on both sides.

I guess you could always put a small post-it-note on the label with an A or B on it?
BIL

Post by BIL »

"Could of" typed once
Spoiler
"Could of" twice in as many sentences
Spoiler
I can't forgive it. FORGIVENESS METER is too low. Prepare for Grammar SS Blitzkrieg. Image
Last edited by BIL on Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Birro I'm definitely speechless when I see native-english speakers who write ''defiantly'' when they mean ''definitely''. It's really common too on the ol' Youtube.

''of coarse'' is another one I see regularly too :lol:
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

I remember playing Diablo 1 and being irritated by the people who didn't know how to spell "Rogue" properly. :lol:
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Oh jeez. My mom was an English teacher, so I am pre-programmed to have seizure twitches when I see spelling errors.

I think I deliberately use bad grammar online as a kind of catharsis against it. Don't think I can do a "could of" thoough. Seeing that in print makes me physically nauseous.
Last edited by vol.2 on Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Oof, Rogue/Rouge does clang. I find most misspellings cute tbh, especially when they involve loanwords. An ancient writing on the matter:
Spoiler
"Could of" is like a bicycle going into a woodchipper though. REEE!

I was calling Dragon Warrior's blue arachnids "Roggu Scorpions" for a bit BITD. :mrgreen: I was saying "Wiverin" rather than "WYE-VERN" until like two years ago. :shock: Marble-mouthed Dave Mustaine of all people put me straight. :o
Last edited by BIL on Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Oh don't start me on that one Roo, as a native french speaker, seeing ton of people type Rouge instead of Rogue was quite the thing :lol:

Rouge Squadron
Rouge One

Lol!

EDIT: Birro wtf? hahahah
''omg that dreamy boiii, I can't wait to smell his colon''
you go girl 8) I ain't telling you what to do with your kinks 8)

also : share your rection to ''defiantely'' and ''of coarse'' plz ty
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BIL

Post by BIL »

I find stuff like that kinda endearing tbh. :3 Can't think of any misspellings/malapropisms that make me REE. Probably due to Engrish being such a beloved artefact of my hobbies. It'd be like getting mad at BATWIDER or DONGON FEVERON's emcees, or not cracking up when an enraged Tony Soprano screams that he's "FUCKIN PROSTATE WITH GRIEF HEAH" :lol:

Abuse of "literally" can suck a dick, but that's along the same lines as "could of," less an endearing bumble than graceless mangling.

There was this fairly infamous alleged scammer active here several years back, who went by the username "poolchamp." I've no detailed knowledge or opinion of his supposed antics, but I and everyone else could not get enough of his hapless calling card, "mt8." That was his way of abbreviating "mate." Gave him away every time he'd try to sneak back in, like fucking Tourette's or something. Look up his post history sometime, it's a LITERAL MINEFIELD OF SORROW, and one of the starkest condemnings of this forum not allowing three-letter search terms. :mrgreen: jonny and emphatic probably remember him.

Witness a man lose custody of his kids due to men_kissing.jpg :shock: :sad:
doctorx0079 wrote:what is this

what is it doing in shmups.com forum
^^^ :lol:
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

the Ghosts of former shmups Glories are kinda scary, I'm not sure I want to dig deeper than what I just saw here :lol:
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

FinalBaton wrote:the Ghosts of former shmups Glories are kinda scary, I'm not sure I want to dig deeper than what I just saw here :lol:
Did you read the p roblem with p erikles?
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

vol.2 wrote:
Did you read the p roblem with p erikles?
yes sir I did! quite the saga
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

FinalBaton wrote:[
yes sir I did! quite the saga
It was riveting.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Meaningless prefixes like "cyber".
We apologise for the inconvenience
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

cyberorange808.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Udderdude wrote:cyberorange808.
*shudder*

:mrgreen:
We apologise for the inconvenience
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

On the food subreddit (and I assume elsewhere) it is a thing to show off a "homemade" fast food item. For example: "Homemade Whopper," or "Homemade Filet O Fish."

I don't understand this is and it irritates the ever-loving f*** out of me. If you made it at home, it's not a f***** Whopper, it's just a hamburger; it's just a fish sandwich. It's not cute. You can't make a Whopper at home, there are important differences that are impossible to replicate.

While I'm at it, I also hate all the people who put a picture of a steak on the food subreddit and call it homemade (of which there are many). Talk about lazy. The cow did all the work.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Faucets that go from drip to 50psi on a quarter turn. The amount of times I got my shirt wet :lol:
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Customer service agents who cold-transfer you to the next tier after being unable to assist with your issue, and of course don't tell anyting to the next agent, so you need to repeat the same story from the start all over again. Extra irritating if they sent you to the wrong department, and you have to do the whole spiel a third time. Imbeciles.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Modern computer cases. Haven't had a desktop in over a decade, so I didn't know how bad things have become.

See, a buddy of mine gave me the guts of his old machine, and now I need a case to stick it in so it's not just a pile of parts resting in a cardboard box anymore. :lol:
The board he gave me is hilarious, it's this tiiiiny flexATX thing with a big full-size GPU covering up all of the other expansion ports and extending way past the board, so I still need a full ATX case to fit it.

Unfortunately, all of the cases I'm seeing are beyond fucking ugly and have a big glass side panel and glowing rainbow LEDs.
The big sheet of glass is the most offensive part, I can reasonably just not plug in the LEDs. I don't need to see the guts of the machine at all times.
Eventually did bite the bullet and got this all black case, waiting for it to get shipped [edit: it arrived! it's not bad looking either, even if I'd rather something in white or beige].

on the plus side, I now have a machine that can attempt to do anything resembling modern gaming now
Last edited by null1024 on Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

Headlights that are too bright. I don't know how much of this is due to changes in what manufacturers install and how much is people wanting to show off their Big Light Dick energy (or just leaving their high beams on all the time). Seems like I always have to tilt up the rearview mirror when driving nowadays nowanights.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
Guile

Post by Guile »

Mortificator wrote:Headlights that are too bright.
I agree, so rude, annoying and dangerous. It should actually be regulated more, sometimes I'm blinded by cars on the opposite side of the road even.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Mortificator wrote:Headlights that are too bright. I don't know how much of this is due to changes in what manufacturers install and how much is people wanting to show off their Big Light Dick energy (or just leaving their high beams on all the time). Seems like I always have to tilt up the rearview mirror when driving nowadays nowanights.
I was screaming about this tonight in the car on the highway. I think it's people replacing their OEM lights with illegally bright aftermarket bulbs. This is more widespread than it used to be.

Another issue is people who replace their own headlights and they don't know what the fuck they are doing and they fail to aim the lights properly resulting in the beams (or sometimes just one of them) pointing up into your car cabin. It's awful.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

There are rules about the angle of your headlights that you are personally responsible for adjusting, but I'm willing to best everyone forgot that part from when they took their license.