Cyberpunk 2077

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Mischief Maker

Re: Cyberpunk 2077

Post by Mischief Maker »

Despite the lack of bugs in my experience, I'm putting it on hold for a couple months.

The way that cars drive (I'm causing more collateral damage trying to drive the speed limit than I did racing around in the Batmobile tank in Arkham Knight) and the way traffic handles (I return from a long mission to find my car still double-parked where I left it and with the same pileup of cars behind it) just breaks my immersion right now.

I still hope it's enough of a success not to threaten the survival of GOG.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Mischief Maker wrote:
I still hope it's enough of a success not to threaten the survival of GOG.
Same.

A friend of mine got it and is having the opposite experience of you with the bugs. Just absolute bug city gone wild so he is shelving it until patches arrive.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Predictably, the console metacritic scores are erm .. yeah ..

https://www.metacritic.com/game/playsta ... rpunk-2077
https://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/cyberpunk-2077

Better get on those patches, boyos.
drauch

Post by drauch »

20 hours in now. Definitely seems to be affecting others more than my experience. Most of what I experienced is the aforementioned "euro jank", like shooting a guy in the head, then he dies and his body teleports to the car he was next to and he's in the driving seat with the hands on the wheel. I go over to him and press F and the car and him just disappears into the ground.

Had one weird one where I died and when I came back the graphics were all wacky and sparkly without detail. That's the only time I've had to restart I think. Still just floating food mainly on my end and civilians that just duck for cover for hours and hours.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

They're offering refunds to last-gen purchasers now:

https://twitter.com/CyberpunkGame/statu ... 3373801472

PLEASE make enough money to keep GOG afloat!
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
drauch

Post by drauch »

Surely it's doing all right, no? Most pre-ordered game of all time at 8 million copies. I assume most console-only people will wait it out, more bark than bite, etc. I was pretty much console-only on bigger titles until a few years ago, even playing some of the titles in that Digital Foundry video that they deemed "you had to play on PC". Not denying that some of that frame rate is rough and needs some fixing, but curious how much of a game-breaker it is for the console-only crowd. Anyone here actually playing it on console? Curious of an opinion that isn't YouTube pitchforkery.
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

I’m playing on PS4 Pro. It’s a buggy mess and it crashes constantly but I’m still somehow enjoying it.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Mischief Maker wrote:PLEASE make enough money to keep GOG afloat!
GOG will be fine. Money isn't really the issue. They already sold millions of copies. They just have to patch it so it's not a buggy mess with performance issues.
ravenclaws76

Post by ravenclaws76 »

I have a regular PS4 version and been playing it about 5-6 hours. 2 blue screen crashes so far. Screen is blurry sometimes until area loads properly, frame rates dropping here and there, also couldn't pick up one object, but nothing else really. I've been enjoying the game. I'm gonna get PS5 early next year, so hopefully it will fix most hiccups.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Udderdude wrote: GOG will be fine.
I really hope so. I think I've got an offline backup of all my GOG games, but it would be a shame if they ran out of a reason to exist. It's not just the revenue from this particular game that's going to be important. The way that CDPR deals with the technical issues is going to effect their goodwill on whatever nonsense they cook up next. It's especially important when a game is as over-hyped and long-in-coming as 2077.
However, the last time this came up, I think there was some question as to exactly how financially reliant the two companies are on one another.

Can anyone who's played a reasonable amount of the game give an opinion on how "open world" it is?

It looks interesting to me, but I don't want to play it if it's going to be something like Far Cry 2. I hated that game with a passion. It looked beautiful (for when it came out), but it was so utterly boring that I stopped playing in the middle.

Is there an actual game in 2077, or is it a sandbox with cyberpunk frosting and the occasional fetch?
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

You've got it backwards. The story is complete and really good (so far), it's the open world sandbox part that falls apart under scrutiny. If you come in expecting a cyberpunk Witcher 2 (not 3!) you'll be happy. If you're looking for GTA: Blade Runner edition, keep looking.

vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Mischief Maker wrote:You've got it backwards. The story is complete and really good (so far), it's the open world sandbox part that falls apart under scrutiny.
Thanks. That's an endorsement to me. Probably wait until I have a slightly better card though.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Mischief Maker wrote:You've got it backwards. The story is complete and really good (so far), it's the open world sandbox part that falls apart under scrutiny. If you come in expecting a cyberpunk Witcher 2 (not 3!) you'll be happy. If you're looking for GTA: Blade Runner edition, keep looking.
What? That sounds like incredible praise to me!
GTA: Blade Runner edition is exactly the thing I was worried the game would probably be, and if it's even more like W2 than W3, then I'm itching to play this.
Marc

Post by Marc »

So, finally got the chance to fire it up yesterday on a day off.
Hit a big where a guy got stuck in a wall so I couldn’t kill him to progress the combat tutorial, and it’s frozen the controller up a couple of times – game carried on running, but controller won’t respond at all even to quit to home page or guide – had to turn off the machine and restart. The UI is also shocking, badly laid out, unintuitive, and with the bare minimum of effort paid to map it to a controller. That said, I think it looks great and the frame rate is nowhere near as bad as I was expecting (on a 1X), hovers around 30 with dips and pop-in while driving.

Not sure play wise as of yet. Feels like a Deus Ex game when in a mission, but the first one proper(robot heist) seemed to have far less opportunity for stealth and hacking, despite the many demonstrations and pointers leading up to it. Gunplay feels better than expected, they’ve done a far better job than Fallout 3/4 in covering up the fact that you’re chipping away at numbers, and the guns feel quite nice. Driving is a little clunky but serviceable enough, no worse than some of the earlier GTA game. I'm not usually interested in story, in fact I enjoyed the two console DE's in spite of their clunky moralising, but this is definitely the strongest part of the game so far. Your buddy is even kind of likeable.Overall, from the first 4 hours or so, I’m certainly intrigued enough to persevere, if not fully convinced.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
drauch

Post by drauch »

I'm about 33 hours in now. Main quest stuff and side missions for characters you meet is definitely the highlight. I really enjoy interacting with them and the dialogue is good. I'm not getting a really big RPG vibe from it though, as I feel like I'm just the protagonist they designed no matter what choices I make. When I'm dealing with an individual and just talking to them it shines and I feel like I'm compassionate and making choices, but then other times you're just a mercenary no matter what who wants to be king shit and remembered. The main male voice actor is good, but his voice is not neutral like a Commander Shepard figure; he's definitely got some 'tude no matter what your playstyle. Your choices as how you started don't seem to really matter outside of unique dialogue options that are usually optional and don't seem to affect anything. At first this really bummed me out but I like the game enough that I've accepted that's just the game it is and I'm this character. Very action heavy regardless of your playstyle too, either with brute force or sneaking and hacking, which I combine the latter too for my playstyle. Don't expect to talk your way out of much like Planescape or Bloodlines.

And honestly, it does feel kind of like GTA: Bladerunner-lite in some regards IMO. Your phone never shuts up once you get into the main game, 8-10 hours in. People trying to sell you cars, do random missions, pick up packages, shoot gang members, help the cops... it's all very familiar. This stuff is very optional, but it is a big part of the game and hard to ignore.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Yeah you summed up a lot of what I was thinking. Just done the mission where
Spoiler
you steal the shard from the penthouse
, and although it let me sneak a floor or two by hacking cameras, it still sent a bunch of dudes with guns after me. And yeas, although the game will let you act a certain way during dialogue trees etc, it doesn't really seem to have any over-reaching effect. Having said that, I've read in a few reviews that although the main story obviously follows its course, there are quests that can be locked and relatively major characters that can be lost along the way.

Having spent a bit more time in the city itself, it's obviously far more ambitious than any GTA to date, the scale of it is absolutely astonishing at times.

Second bug last night, a mobile phone just suspended in mid air in the hotel lobby.

I like it, the main thing really is how long for. I ditched Kiwami 2 after several hours, and judgement about three quarters in, although this is a pretty different sort of open world.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Mischief Maker wrote:You've got it backwards. The story is complete and really good (so far), it's the open world sandbox part that falls apart under scrutiny. If you come in expecting a cyberpunk Witcher 2 (not 3!) you'll be happy. If you're looking for GTA: Blade Runner edition, keep looking.
Oh shit, I might have to bump this up... I'm one of those weirdos that probably liked Witcher 3 the least because of the shift to huge open world.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

That's not weird IMO. While I do think Witcher 2 felt like it's lacking more of a world to go out and find stuff in, the trade-off is pretty obvious.
The locales and characters are just so well crafted, it's one of the few modern RPGs where I genuinely felt interesting in hearing what every NPC had to say, because I actually felt involved, rather than browsing procedurally generated landscapes. I absolutely prefer it to the third game.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Sumez wrote: the trade-off is pretty obvious.
Completely agree. I crave narrative structure in games, especially ones that "create a world."

We (as humans) don't need the world to be fleshed out as an experience to be immersed in it. When a story is told in a clever way and the right details are given, our imagination is able to supply the rest, and that is much more powerful than a simulated world because we are more involved.

I can see an argument towards making the actual matrix (if you think it's evil) or holodeck (if you think it's not necessarily so). I don't think we're anywhere near that though.
Marc

Post by Marc »

I've said this since the GTA games got big and unwieldy, I'd like to see a someone have the balls to use today's horsepower to produce a game that returns to the relatively small area of GTA III's map, but absolutely fill it with characters with a backstory, reasons to exist, and interactions beyond 'go here and kill/steal this'. GTA crossed with Majora's Mask. Cyberpunk has at least tried to attempt it (and I stopped being impressed by 'persistent' worlds years ago, so a lot of the criticism has gone right over my head), but again, the sheer scale of it has gotten in the way.

Sumez has also gotten me interested it trying out Witcher 2 now....
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

If that's what you're longing for, Witcher 2 will definitely scratch that itch.

Worth noting though is that the game isn't just a "small area", there's absolutely no free exploration. The game has a linear chapter system with no way of going back (which also allows decisions and actions to have pretty massive consequences in the story, though), and each chapter only lets you roam the immediate area of where it takes place.
There's a bunch of sidequests though, and they are all absolutely worth doing. Each requiring a unique approach that fits the whole "Witcher" theme much better, in terms of using tools and preparation to fell enemies, rather than just leveling up.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Heh, i did feell ike Witcher 1 kinda got there.

and small space jam packed with stuff is the Yakuza series all over.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Marc

Post by Marc »

Blinge wrote:Heh, i did feell ike Witcher 1 kinda got there.

and small space jam packed with stuff is the Yakuza series all over.
Hmm sort of, but it's still very much fetch quests for the most part. Nothing you do with one person directly affects anyone else in the game world. I want a world that interacts with itself as well as the player.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Oh dear. Sony pulled it off the PSN store "Until further notice". https://www.playstation.com/en-us/cyber ... 7-refunds/
Marc

Post by Marc »

Weird, it's definitely bugged, but certainly no worse than the myriad of Skyrim / Oblivion / Fallout videos I've seen. And anyone that saw previews of this and expected it to run well on a base machine....
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

BIL

Post by BIL »

https://twitter.com/s_k_hanselmann/stat ... 4314929155

Rad. Image The "FUUUUUUCK!" gives such pathos. (was in hospital last summer doing similar! I never shat myself though, couldn't keep down so much as a cup of water! Image)
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

BIL wrote: Rad. Image The "FUUUUUUCK!" gives such pathos. (was in hospital last summer doing similar! I never shat myself though, couldn't keep down so much as a cup of water! Image)
Simon's fantastic. Check out Megahex if you've never... seems Fantagraphics is sold out, but I'm sure it's around at local shops n places. https://www.fantagraphics.com/products/ ... s=e&_v=1.0
spmbx

Post by spmbx »

drauch wrote:I'm about 33 hours in now. Main quest stuff and side missions for characters you meet is definitely the highlight. I really enjoy interacting with them and the dialogue is good. I'm not getting a really big RPG vibe from it though,
That's because it's not an RPG. Somewhere in 2019 they changed all references to the game from "rpg" to "action adventure story" or something like that.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Uh, I dunno about that.

From GOG:

Game features:

Dive into an open-world RPG and explore a futuristic city where anything goes.

Genre: Action, Role-Playing