Capcom Arcade Stadium 2 Announced (GunSmoke, ECO Fighters)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
EmperorIng

Capcom Arcade Stadium 2 Announced (GunSmoke, ECO Fighters)

Post by EmperorIng »

Looks like Capcom is getting in the retro arcade collection thing (outside their beatemup collection). I can only pray that the emulation is at least Hamster level. Who worked on the other recent Capcom collections? Digital Eclipse?

I HOPE to GOD that they don't do a Capcom Home Arcade that only has the USA versions... They're really digging through their rom folders eh?!?

Includes mention of:
Section Z
Senjou no Okami (Mercs)
1942 (bleh)
1941: Counterattack
19XX: The War Against Destiny
1944: The Loop Master (!!)
Carrier Air Wing
Varth
Forgotten Worlds
Legendary Wings
Giga Wing
Progear

Among many other games (Strider, Mega Twins, Street Fighter 2, etc.)

Capcom Arcade Studio announced for Switch eshop
trailer
https://www.capcom-arcade-stadium.com/us/
Last edited by EmperorIng on Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
BIL

Re: Capcom Arcade Stadium (NSW eshop): Progear, Giga Wing, 1

Post by BIL »

That is a gorgeous selection and my wiener is battering the underside of my desk as I type, but then it's gone and deflated just as quickly, because we're at everybody's favourite game: Will the emulation be a shitshow? Spin the chamber and cross them fingfings!

The structuring sounds reminiscent of the previous generation's Capcom Arcade Cabinet, which was developed by M2 and Gotch, and was pretty nice overall... here's hoping it goes to either them, or failing that, Capcom themselves. Was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the PS4 Belt Action Collection. (I have no idea WTF Noodalls is talking about WRT 8 frames of input lag, here's ShmupMAME vs PS4)

Did Inti Creates handle the Rockman Zero collection? That one's excellent too in my experience, pardoning the games' inherent issues WRT GBA resolution.

If it's Digital Eclipse my enthusiasm is gonna take a dive, unfortunately. Going by SNK40th Anniversary they're nostalgia merchants at best. You may think randomly-freezing controls are something playtesters would catch, or at least something that'd be patched. You would be wrong! Crackling audio and stuttering framerate? Wow, it's emulation just like mom used to make, ca 1999. WTB Arcade Archives: Search And Rescue
StudioMudprints

Post by StudioMudprints »

Carrier Airwing, Progear, 1944 and 19XX have me completely sold regardless. I think the "all-in" bundle will be worth it for the shooters it'll offer and the others that are included as well. A little disappointed Midway Kaisen isn't in the roster though.
chempop

Post by chempop »

Nice trailer and hype for Progear since I've only dabbled with it. Lot of other fantastic titles too, 19XX, VARTH, etc. Looking forward to it if they don't botch the emulation.
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Oh man. This has the potential to be amazing. Fingers crossed for M2 or Gotch. If digital eclipse is doing this then I'm going to have a major case of blue balls.

The similarity in format to the very nice Capcom Arcade Cabinet of days gone by gives me hope.

Capcom's in house ports have also been pretty good lately. Megaman Zero Collection were actually ports based on source code and had next to zero lag as a result. The beat em up collection likewise was very responsive. Good stuff. Only things I noticed there was at least on Switch you could occasionally get really choppy framerate that would require a reboot to fix. Especially possible if you were switching games a lot. That and there was no way to reduce the egregious scrolling shimmer caused by using nearest neighbor scaling to squash the wide CPS aspect ratio down to 4:3. They patched in a scanline filter that looked pretty decent though.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Just came to post the same link.

Progear hype.
My lord, I have come for you.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Progear and Loop Master, but so far no Dimahoo. That's just wrong. Like you, BIL, I'm a bit worried this collection will end up being a cock tease. Don't get me drunk, take all my one dollar bills then send me home alone. With nothing but the cold comfort of Digital Eclipse curated art galleries to get me through the night.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

https://www.capcom-arcade-stadium.com/us/

New link of the project gone live. Some interesting things advertised:

-rewind/slowdown features (faster game speed = less slowdown?)
-rotate displays
-32 save states
-online leaderboards
-visual filters (including gimmicky "the screen's an arcade cab" ones)
-difficulty selection (just dip switch shit?)
-region select? If this little snippet is any indication:

These are all (mostly) good things! But like the rest of you, just give us that one final crucial detail of who's behind the wheels!
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

Wow...
Any retro gamer worth his/her salt knows the eschatological poignancy of a Progear release.
Repent, for the end is near.
BIL

Post by BIL »

EmperorIng wrote:-rewind/slowdown features (faster game speed = less slowdown?)
A year ago I was ambivalent on rewind. It's in SNK40th, and can't be disabled. I set it to L3, the button I'm least likely to bump, and forget it's there.

Then I saw Frank Cifaldi's tweet dinging ArcSys's (middling to be sure) Kunio collection for a lack of it, the reasoning being "Ain't nobody got time for that shit no mo" (read: learning to play).

(to digress - I don't think people ever had time for that shit any mo, judging by the twenty-foot concrete wall of misinformation surrounding NES Double Dragon. on one hand, this cost me a hundred quid, having slept on a perfectly good copy assuming these assclowns knew what they were talking about.

on the other, I gained much more in the bargain, becoming 4EVER DISABUSED Image)

I get the impulse to nostalgically gawk at the shiny loud coinops and credit feed like when you were eight years old. I can do that entirely satisfactorily via MAME and other free emulators.

I sincerely hope they're not involved with this. They are the definition of quantity over quality, and their track record for fixing even the most glaring bugs is fucking abysmal. Sadly this is tripping all the usual alarm bells. Expectations currently set to SNK40th, which is not a "shit sandwich" so much as a ham sandwich with weevils. In some ways that's even worse, as starving men will more readily part with their cash for the latter than the former. I know I would. :[
Last edited by BIL on Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

But come on BIL there's a whole new way to play! You will never have to start all over from the beginning ever again.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Rastan78 wrote:But come on BIL there's a whole new way to play! You will never have to start all over from the beginning ever again.
But I already don't :O ;3
Spoiler
Ed Oscuro wrote:Image
Well anyway, TEH WHEEL OF FATE IS TURNING. Highly polished metal, the oil makes it gleam! Let's see what the morrow brings.

TAKE BIG CHANCE (`ω´メ)
Spoiler
"It's M2!"

REGENDARY GAIN (◎ω◎;)
Last edited by BIL on Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

I had the Game Awards streaming in the background as I did some work... didn't expect a whole lot. Then I perked up with Ghosts and Goblins music, then I thought this Arcade Stadium thing would just be re-selling the same stuff that was already in previous compliations... Who knew it would blow my mind with a PROGEAR port announcement!!! (and 19XX, 1944, and 1941!)

I actually wouldn't mind too much if M2 isn't involved, if only so they can do more ShotTriggers releases. Better chance of getting Batrider and Ibara Kuro (which will now be the only arcade-only Cave shooter to not get a console port) ASAP. As others noted, Capcom's in-house work on the Mega Man Zero and Belt Scroller collection was pretty good. But yeah, please no Digital Eclipse.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

M2 did add rewind to Sega Ages Shinobi. It's on a toggle on the main menu without going into options, and of course turning it on means you can't submit a score to the arcade mode leaderboards. As long as it's handled this way it's all good. But being permanently mapped to a button in all modes ugh. Isn't that how SNK 40th was?
BIL

Post by BIL »

Rastan78 wrote:M2 did add rewind to Sega Ages Shinobi. It's on a toggle on the main menu without going into options, and of course turning it on means you can't submit a score to the arcade mode leaderboards. As long as it's handled this way it's all good.
That's good to hear! :O Can't recall seeing it in their Castlevania/Contra collections, and ShotTriggers menus make my JP-illiterate head spin, so I've not delved much beyond control config.
But being permanently mapped to a button in all modes ugh. Isn't that how SNK 40th was?
Yep, always there. Whole thing's a falsificare wonderland, though the thought of attempting to play Dogosoken with randomly-freezing aim controls almost makes me sympathetic to cheaters.

...I wonder if that was the idea. -_-

Frankie Two Times: "Sup Timmy! Frozen controls fucked you up the ass again? 3:"
LIL TIMMY ROGERS: "Yeah! :["
Frankie Two Times: "Good thing you can always rewind! ;3"
Both: "Waaahahahaha!"
And Then Lil Timmy Rogers Got The Genshitou WR!
Last edited by BIL on Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Did you guys catch the link to the new ghosts and goblins game on the arcade collection home page? Hard to tell if its an all new game or sort of a remix. Has a halfway decent but somewhat mediocre 2d HD art style going on. I don't know a lot about animation, but it's the method where everything is animated sort of like a marionette with rotating parts rather than having individually redrawn frames.
el_rika

Post by el_rika »

Why do you people call it a "port"? There's no source code of the game "ported", just a rom in an emulator, and probably violating (again) licence.
BIL

Post by BIL »

el_rika wrote:and probably violating (again) licence.
If you mean the FBA situation with that arcade stick thing, well fucking hell. Hadn't even considered that possibility. :shock: Hardly the norm though, surely.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

You're totally right, but then what should they be called? Other than that Megaman Zero Collection which I'm pretty sure are ported games. Raiden Fighters Aces is another example IIRC.

M2 definitely does all their own emulation. Others not so sure. The higher quality ones have quite a bit of extra work going on on top when it comes to optimization, extra modes, rank gauges, leaderboards etc. Technically not a port, but more than just a rom dropped into a preexisting emulator.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

It's Giga Gear... or is that Pro Wing:
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

The trailer mentions there will be a freebee game (1943), similar to Capcom Arcade Cabinet on PS3/360. I'll have to see how that feels before I invest in any others.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
dmk1198

Post by dmk1198 »

BIL wrote:
If you mean the FBA situation with that arcade stick thing, well fucking hell. Hadn't even considered that possibility. :shock: Hardly the norm though, surely.
Theyve licensed FBA for their arcade stickso it's a possibility unfortunately

Sent from my Redmi Note 8T using Tapatalk
BIL

Post by BIL »

I had the impression the Capcom Home Arcade was manufactured by some rando knobjockeys who licensed Capcom's stuff and nicked the emulator off Lycos Websearch's #1 emulation portal, muhromz.com. I could easily be wrong though.

SO VERY WRONG 3;

Kiken wrote:It's Giga Gear... or is that Pro Wing:
Fuck me, that ain't good guv 3:<

el_rika

Post by el_rika »

dmk1198 wrote:
BIL wrote:
Theyve licensed FBA for their arcade stickso it's a possibility unfortunately

Sent from my Redmi Note 8T using Tapatalk
FBA can not be sold in any shape or form. It does not have an "owner" that has the rights to it. It has an enormous amount of code written by many different devs along the years. Capcom Home Arcade stick is simply not legal.
Different emulation solution (no idea what M2 releases have under the hood) is a different story.
CRP

Post by CRP »

Has Digital Eclipse worked with Capcom at all before ? If not then why even second-guessing they should be involved in this somehow.

Surely the must be a some japanese shmups/cave community pressure to get progear right on capcom.
Anyone who can read jap. what are the reaktions on twitter etc ?
The must be questions asked on twitter by jap. players if the is any m2 involvment ?

also please stop spamming the thread with "Capcom Home Arcade" crap, the most be another thread for that ?
Last edited by CRP on Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
BIL

Post by BIL »

el_rika wrote:Different emulation solution (no idea what M2 releases have under the hood) is a different story.
I hear it's the same emulator they wrote for X68k Gauntlet in their bedroom ca 1992, ruthlessly hotrodded and roided-up until it became a code-crushing behemoth Image It choked for a second on Virtua Racing, then bit the fucking thing clean in half :shock:
CRP wrote:Has Digital Eclipse worked with Capcom at all before ? If not then why even second-guessing they should be involved in this somehow.
Sadly they have, various SF and Mega Man collections this gen. I've not played them, but I do own SNK40th, and it's full of unpardonable shite.

Which is ok, because patches are easy now, except at ~2yrs it's now "super old" and will never be patched. Oh well!
also please stop spamming the thread with "Capcom Home Arcade" crap, the most be another thread for that ?
Use the report button, DISPATCH THEM 2 THA GRAVE Image
Last edited by BIL on Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marc

Post by Marc »

The SF 40th Anniversary is lacking in options, and has no DIP settings, though the emulation itself seems OK.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
BIL

Post by BIL »

Well, keeping a happy thought for now, selection-wise this looks like the Capcom Arcade Cabinet followup I've always hoped for. Omitting Daimakaimura from that was an absolute howler. 1941, Top Secret and Carrier Airwing will be the first decent home arcade versions of those games (first ever for CAW), looking forward to retiring my interlaced PS2 discs. 19XX and/or Progear would sell most of us on this alone, I'm sure.

I like 1944's vertizontal style, and its aesthetic Raizingisms are irresistible (Mission 2: IRON BEAST WAR CRY) but I've never really gotten into it. Great to see it here, hopefully ZZ Top don't sue 'em for blagging those shaweet fuzzbox riffs. :wink:

I would be freaking the fuck out over Battle Circuit and Powered Gear if not for the Belt Action Collection covering both superbly. Still glad to see 'em, mark of an adventurous collection.

Bit early for wish-listing, but I'd love to see Mars Matrix, Ultimate Ecology (EDIT: and Dimahoo!), and for non-STGs Magic Sword, at some point. The three big licensed, unported beltscrollers (Punisher/Cadillacs/AVP) too, of course, but right now it'll be enough of a miracle if this thing's in capable hands. Lack of scanned "Museum" content suggests DE is not involved, encouraging. ( :lol: )
Marc

Post by Marc »

I like 19XX, though it gets balls hard by around level 9. Could never get into the hori one on the PSP/Xbox collections though.
Quite the comp, though I do feel somewhat cheated that 75% of the belt-scroller collection will need to be re-purchased again, I hope they're offering a decent price as a one-off buy for the lot.

I just hope that this isn't it, as was the case for the CCC on 360/PS3, was gutted when they never released any packs after the initial four.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
BIL

Post by BIL »

Well, developer is listed as Capcom on the Eshop page, while Digital Eclipse is specified as dev on SF30th Anniversary's. Can't see any mention of external devs online currently, but for now I'm gonna tentatively assume those faithless shitbirds at DE haven't gotten their bumbling meathooks on this one too.