X Station PS1 ODE

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
matt

Re: X Station PS1 ODE

Post by matt »

Has anybody else had problems getting the 240p test suite to run on the X Station? I installed mine yesterday and so far everything I've tried runs great, except for the test suite which doesn't boot.
cyborc

Post by cyborc »

matt wrote:Has anybody else had problems getting the 240p test suite to run on the X Station? I installed mine yesterday and so far everything I've tried runs great, except for the test suite which doesn't boot.
Had the same problem. Try this version, it should work. https://github.com/ggrtk/240pTestSuite- ... s/tag/v0.1
matt

Post by matt »

Thanks, that one works perfectly. The PS1 version was my go-to Test Suite revision and I'm glad I can still use it.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Anyone else still waiting to hear on their shipment? I asked for an update a week ago and got nothing. I understand being busy, but even a quick response confirming "you're still in queue, apologies it's taking longer than expected, rest assured your order will.ship as soon as possible" I don't think is too unreasonable to expect.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
hellbelly

Post by hellbelly »

I see that updates get posted on the Twitter feed, and the replies sometimes get a bit more info.

https://twitter.com/castlemaniaryan?s=21
sofakng

Post by sofakng »

Does anybody know if I can remove my PSIO switch board before installing the Xstation?

I've read that they can work together, but I'd rather remove the PSIO switchboard.

My only concern is that I had to cut some traces (per the instructions) for the PSIO switch board.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

sofakng wrote:Does anybody know if I can remove my PSIO switch board before installing the Xstation?

I've read that they can work together, but I'd rather remove the PSIO switchboard.

My only concern is that I had to cut some traces (per the instructions) for the PSIO switch board.
Of course you can remove it. You'll just need to bridge the cut traces with solder. Pretty straightforward to check for continuity.
sofakng

Post by sofakng »

Sorry, I should have asked more explicitly about the cut traces. I know I can remove the other wires.

Let me rephrase my question...

Do the cut traces need to be repaired or can the Xstation work with them being cut?
lordairivis

Post by lordairivis »

sofakng wrote:Sorry, I should have asked more explicitly about the cut traces. I know I can remove the other wires.

Let me rephrase my question...

Do the cut traces need to be repaired or can the Xstation work with them being cut?
I don't believe so, I haven't tried to confirm but I've read that you can leave your PSIO installed and functional and have the XStation installed at the same time with no issues. Not sure why you'd want to, since the advantage of the PSIO is that it leaves the optical drive in place to play retail games from, but afaik it's possible to have both at once.

However, I was in the same boat as you and opted to just get another 1001 from ebay for like $9 and installed the XStation in that.
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

X Station has arrived. For those in Europe, it took 16 days to the UK after notification of shipment.
RoboArmy

Post by RoboArmy »

*snip*
Last edited by RoboArmy on Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bahamutfan64

Post by bahamutfan64 »

The cut traces only affect the serial port, so you should be good when using the Xstation. But since you’re already desoldering, might as well take 60 seconds to jump those cut traces to restore original functionality.
thenrz

Post by thenrz »

I got confirmation of shipment after finally breaking down and emailed them after being told mine would ship the 1st of the month in an email on the 27th or 28th of October. I've worked in PCBA producing our own products in the hobby and robotics sector, and I know how big of a cluster[forceful thrusting motion of hips toward partner in a usually exposed position] product launches can be, and there was hardly the fanfare for a highly filtered and shielded 5A switch-mode BEC for larger r/c planes, helis, etc. compared to a product like this...

But I found my shipment confirmation and tracking information came after a non-confrontational, but concerned and assertive, email wondering why I hadn't been informed of the delay and the delay itself doesn't bother me in the slightest... I get it, you know? Just why have I not received an email, at its simplest, "misjudged what we could get out over a period of time, sorry we're so plate but it's still going to happen!" Bam, I'm happy, not worried, and know my money/product is still tangible.

I felt justified in sending the email, and maybe I'm giving myself too much credit, or perhaps I had slipped through the cracks somewhere and as the squeaky wheel who squeaked at the opportune time, and returned myself into the top of the queue . Who knows, but now I just need ps1digital to come around again because I was so close last time... It'll be a heady combo no doubt.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

I finally got my shipment notification a couple days ago. Never did get a response to my email inquiry. Looks like its showing up on Monday. A good little project for the thanksgiving holiday.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
darcagn

Post by darcagn »

Got my epic PSX project completely finished today: SCPH-5501 console with PS1Digital + XStation + 1TB card with full Redump set + 2 Brooks adapters for PS3/PS4/XboxOne/SwitchPro wireless controllers

I have to go out of town this weekend but can't wait to get back and play. This setup is beastly, it's amazing being able to sit warm and cozy on the couch with my wife and pick any PSX title, including the ability to change titles anytime, all from the controller, without having to get up.

For those worried about compatibility, I haven't encountered a single issue so far, although I haven't gotten seriously deep into any games. Time to put the PSIOs in the junk bin. I'm glad I never did get one...

The firmware and interface are already quite well polished, the only thing else I could ask for at this particular moment is the ability to view folders on the interface. As it currently is, it reads all images from all folders and displays everything in one flat list, which can get quite messy with all the extra revisions, demo discs, edutainment software, etc. A nice bonus feature would be the ability to copy saves from memcards to SD, too.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

I've been enjoying the XStation that darcagn kindly installed for me also. It really feels like using real CDs, especially when using full boot and auto loading the last game on boot.

The feature I'm looking forward to the most is WiFi functionality, especially for adding and removing games from the micro SD card without having to dig it out every time. I thought about getting one of those nice 3D printed mounts or even just a card extension, but I want to avoid those in case it may cause issues.

As for the PSIO, while I've been critical of it for a while, I think it still has a place. I'm keeping mine for my other console with a drive. While I think it will always lag behind XStation in accuracy, it does seem to be getting significantly stable, and it has a better chance of allowing features like writing to the SD card sooner, and memory card to SD card save management with it, and perhaps other functions given its ability to control more operations of the console. But clearly XStation will be my daily driver for the foreseeable future.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

darcagn wrote:Time to put the PSIOs in the junk bin. I'm glad I never did get one...
Telling people to throw it away while never having had one. Good advice. :roll:
darcagn

Post by darcagn »

nmalinoski wrote:
darcagn wrote:Time to put the PSIOs in the junk bin. I'm glad I never did get one...
Telling people to throw it away while never having had one. Good advice. :roll:
Yeah, I definitely intended for people to discard their electronics based on my offhand comment on a message board. You got me.
cyborc

Post by cyborc »

as someone who did own a PSIO, I can confidently say it belongs in the garbage.
matt

Post by matt »

I have a PSIO. It always worked for me and I didn't have many compatibility issues. I picked it up fairly late in the game when there was no wait list and the bugs had mostly been worked out. I've played the heck out of it and overall it was one of the better gaming purchases I've made.

I do like the Xstation better, it loads faster and is (ironically) easier to install. I'm not attached to the idea of physical disks and I'd rather not have something sticking out of the back port. I am happy to have switched but the PSIO doesn't deserved as much hate as it gets. If you still want to play real disks without having a separate console, the PSIO is a very good investment.
RottenToTheGore

Post by RottenToTheGore »

Got my package a week ago, and the box was empty. Tried reaching out through the ticket/email system and Twitter, no response just yet.

Busy time of year so I'm sure they're swamped, but wish I could just get a confirmation of them being aware of it.
cyborc

Post by cyborc »

Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

Someone noticed that Castlemaniagames has updated their site with regards to compatibility, it now mentions that whilst PU-7 and (early) PU-8 are compatible the QSB is not ready for them.

Previous info:

Double-check your motherboard before buying.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Gunstar wrote: Double-check your motherboard before buying.
Seriously....I got lucky that my 1001 is a late PU8. I didn't see anything about lack of support for different motherboard revisions previously... :oops:

That said, my unit is compatible, and I got installed today in about 2 hours. I was going slow and being extra meticulous. Been a while since I've been inside a PS. Someone more readily familiar with the inner workings of the unit could probably bang it out in 30 minutes or less. The QSB is very neat and clean. Lifting pins was not too tedious. My method:

1) Use desloder braid to remove solder.
2) Reflow surrounding pins that may have also had solder wicked away
3) Use static tweezers to lift the appropriate pins carefully (anyone who even dabbles in console modding/restoration/repair should absolutely have a set of these in their tool belt: https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Anti-S ... B071KCBXPR)

I'm loving having my SCPH-1001 working again, and pulling audio out of the RCA ports. Great product all around!
cyborc

Post by cyborc »

NoAffinity wrote:
Gunstar wrote: Double-check your motherboard before buying.
Seriously....I got lucky that my 1001 is a late PU8. I didn't see anything about lack of support for different motherboard revisions previously... :oops:

That said, my unit is compatible, and I got installed today in about 2 hours. I was going slow and being extra meticulous. Been a while since I've been inside a PS. Someone more readily familiar with the inner workings of the unit could probably bang it out in 30 minutes or less. The QSB is very neat and clean. Lifting pins was not too tedious. My method:

1) Use desloder braid to remove solder.
2) Reflow surrounding pins that may have also had solder wicked away
3) Use static tweezers to lift the appropriate pins carefully (anyone who even dabbles in console modding/restoration/repair should absolutely have a set of these in their tool belt: https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Anti-S ... B071KCBXPR)

I'm loving having my SCPH-1001 working again, and pulling audio out of the RCA ports. Great product all around!
would you mind telling me the mfg date of your 1001? I'm on the lookout for a late PU-8 system.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

cyborc wrote:would you mind telling me the mfg date of your 1001? I'm on the lookout for a late PU-8 system.
The sticker on the bottom says October 1996
cyborc

Post by cyborc »

Thanks!
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Does someone want to tell Greg Collins the Xstation 3D print SD holder offset is reversed?

I can see the sd card reader steel right hand side in everyone's photos.

I cannot contact him.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... 100030.jpg
Spoiler
Spoiler
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

Syntax wrote:Does someone want to tell Greg Collins the Xstation 3D print SD holder offset is reversed?

I can see the sd card reader steel right hand side in everyone's photos.

I cannot contact him.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... 100030.jpg
Spoiler
Spoiler
I mentioned this on the Classic Gaming discord XStation thread, not sure if Greg posts there though but maybe someone can pass it on.
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

@Syntax - Greg has made a v2