GBS 8200/8220 CFW Project

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
slayrval

Re: GBS 8200/8220 CFW Project

Post by slayrval »

NoAffinity wrote:^Glad to help!
slayrval wrote:
slayrval wrote:Got around to installing clock gen board on GBS-8200 but for some reason when I do 1080p resolution picture is really messed up purple tint and freaking out. 960p seems to work fine which is strange. Is this normal with a clock gen board not able to do 1080p resolution? Source is a playstation 2 via component cables 480i resolution. Wasn't having this issue before installing the clock gen board. Tried resetting to defaults in GBS control.
So I got ride of crazy purple at 1080p. I think it was the tiny enameled magnet wire for pin 40. It had continuity but when I resoldered with a larger wire 1080p worked fine. Now having issue with playing ps1 games on the ps2. In games that resolution switch from 240p to 480i the clock gen changes the clock slightly and causes TV to resync :( it shows 59hz on tv in 240p and when it goes to 480i in menu it shows 60hz. Any way to stop this from happening like hard locking the clock to 60hz somehow on the clock gen board?
I just gave it a quick test with my gbs-8200. Running the latest firmware. No problems. I offer some narration in-video, but basically this Sun PC CRT (Trinitron) I have noticed is somewhat finicky. It will click as if resolution switching for unknown reasons. It's usually at transition screens on attract modes, but on games that there is no known resolution switching.

Well, I tested Sega Saturn Daytona USA which switches from 240p to 480i in attract mode. The monitor never stumbled. GBS was registerting the resolution switching, but it is effectively seamless to the monitor.

https://youtu.be/reXA6imUZ5U
Thanks for the vid! My system output in gbs-control looks the same as yours. Wondering if it doesn't affect your setup since your running to CRT monitor? What's strange is 240p will show 1280x960 59hz on my projector and when it resync after changing to 480i it shows 1280x960 60hz. Is there some tweaks I can do to the configuration files for GBS to have the 240p resolutions also register as 60hz maybe that would help fix it? Also just curious did you see a big difference with the clock gen board and have alot of screen tearing before? I don't really notice screen tearing tbh with no clock gen board so may just leave it out for time being.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

I have done resolution switching testing previously, have a few vids on YouTube. My capture card blips at resolution changes with the ossc, but not with gbs. The switching via gbs is transparent to my capture card as well.

In that video I posted, a couple posts up, you can see a slight frame hiccup, on screen, when the resolution switches, but again it is only visual. What is coming out of the gbs seems seamless.

Without clock gen board, there was consistent screen tearing, on par with mame when settings are not configured to mitigate screen tearing (just to give a comparison you might be able to relate to). With click gen board, screen tearing is gone (ymmv). Rama has actually explained it as the screen tearing gets moved off screen with the clock gen board.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
slayrval

Post by slayrval »

NoAffinity wrote:I have done resolution switching testing previously, have a few vids on YouTube. My capture card blips at resolution changes with the ossc, but not with gbs. The switching via gbs is transparent to my capture card as well.

In that video I posted, a couple posts up, you can see a slight frame hiccup, on screen, when the resolution switches, but again it is only visual. What is coming out of the gbs seems seamless.

Without clock gen board, there was consistent screen tearing, on par with mame when settings are not configured to mitigate screen tearing (just to give a comparison you might be able to relate to). With click gen board, screen tearing is gone (ymmv). Rama has actually explained it as the screen tearing gets moved off screen with the clock gen board.

Ah gotcha regarding screen tearing. The resolution switching with the GBS is seemless for me also but only when the clock gen board is not installed. I have only tested ps1 games running on the ps2 though like chrono cross. The seemless resolutions switching is really the only reason I use it over the OSSC since the OSSC is sharper image with better colors.
Kaixe Rho

Post by Kaixe Rho »

Had to create an account just for this, but it's necessary.

First of all, I had to teach myself to solder just for this, but it was worth it. This has answered all of my problems with my setup, my most temperamental of devices - it's incredible. Rama, if you ever read this, I could kiss you.

That's not to say I haven't had some issues setting it up. If anyone could help...man, I would appreciate it.
Primarily, ESP8266 completely disconnects from *any* connection in the following circumstances:
  • Outputting to 1080p, any input resolution
    Downscaling 480i (not 480p) to 240p
Additionally, 7/8 times I try to downscale 480i, the red and blue color channels are swapped. I know this, not just because everything is blue, but also because I fixed it by swapping the red and blue cables. I took a picture as an example.

Who knows about the color issue, but I assumed all of the connection issues were caused by the ESP8266 being mounted on the board, so I desoldered it and have it moved as far away as humanly possible.
The exact same problems persist. So I don't really know what to do. I can't even change my router channel because google, in their infinite wisdom, made the Nest router unable to have it's channel changed - but even then, I can't even find the GBS-Control wifi channel to connect directly, it's simply not outputting a signal.

Can anyone lend me a hand?
loopf

Post by loopf »

I'd be curious to hear other people's experiences regarding the clock gen + seamless 240p/480i.

I'm using the GBS mostly for PS1 (resolution switch) and PS2 (deinterlacing), so it's a feature that has a lot of value to me.

Besides that, glad to report I finally got rid of any trace of jailbars and noise by outputting YPbPr into the OSSC, most likely thanks to the LPF.
arrghus8

Post by arrghus8 »

Hi,

I recently put together a GBS-8200 with GBS-Control and have a few questions.

I'm using a Monoprice VGA to HDMI adapter (thanks for the suggestion!) which seems to work great. The only issue I'm having is with screen tearing while playing NES or SNES. I haven't noticed any screen tearing with other systems, so I'm wondering if this would be fixed with dejitter mods for each system.

I'm also curious if there's any issues with leaving two consoles plugged into both the component and VGA/RGB inputs at the same time.

Lastly, I'm hoping someone can suggest a simple solution to join two stereo audio inputs to feed into the HDMI adapter. For now I just have both wired straight to the adapter and only plug one device in at a time.

Here are some pictures if anyone is interested: https://imgur.com/a/6Sh3jAS

Thanks!
rememberizer

Post by rememberizer »

Anyone know how I should power the GBS? How do I pick the best power supply?
I've tried a few power supplies, as well as USB ports and all of them give me SOME wavy noise that moves slowly up the screen. Some are cleaner than others, but all of them produce some kind of noise.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

slayrval wrote:The resolution switching with the GBS is seemless for me also but only when the clock gen board is not installed.
Has anyone else had this problem? I'd like to use a GBS with the clockgen mod to avoid screen tearing problems, but avoiding signal drops during resolution changes is also the main reason I'd like to use it instead of other devices. It would be too bad if only one or the other advantage can be enjoyed.

Is it possible to toggle the clockgen functionality on and off on a GBS that has it installed?
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

rememberizer wrote:Anyone know how I should power the GBS? How do I pick the best power supply?
I've tried a few power supplies, as well as USB ports and all of them give me SOME wavy noise that moves slowly up the screen. Some are cleaner than others, but all of them produce some kind of noise.
It wont be the psu.
I power my gbs via the wemos via my TV USB port just fine.

Sort your capacitors out.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

@arrghus8 for mixing multiple audio sources to a single output, something inexpensive like this will do the trick: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0868QVR8Z/re ... UFbS9YRDTD

You dont have to mix your sources of course, you can turn off all but the one you want outputting to your speakers. You will need an amp in addition to this mixer.

I personally use a DJ mixer that I got cheap on local craigslist. It's way overkill but achieves the same result and has 4 separate output so I can go to surround sound amp, capture devices, makes a nice little analog audio matrix.

kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

fernan1234 wrote:
slayrval wrote:The resolution switching with the GBS is seemless for me also but only when the clock gen board is not installed.
Has anyone else had this problem? I'd like to use a GBS with the clockgen mod to avoid screen tearing problems, but avoiding signal drops during resolution changes is also the main reason I'd like to use it instead of other devices. It would be too bad if only one or the other advantage can be enjoyed.

Is it possible to toggle the clockgen functionality on and off on a GBS that has it installed?
You could put a Extron RGB interface on the output before converting to HDMI - probably needs to be one with a dipswitch that says “SERR”.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

kitty666cats wrote:You could put a Extron RGB interface on the output before converting to HDMI - probably needs to be one with a dipswitch that says “SERR”.
Thanks for the suggestion. I do have one of these RGB interfaces. The only use I know for the SERR dipswitch is to address upper picture flagging issues on some pro CRT monitors, but I guess one of these or an Extron 301 HD in the chain could help stabilize the signal during resolution switches.

Still very interested if anyone else has encountered this issue specifically with the clockgen, and if there's a way to deactivate it without outright removing it.
rememberizer

Post by rememberizer »

Syntax wrote:
rememberizer wrote:Anyone know how I should power the GBS? How do I pick the best power supply?
It wont be the psu.

I did. Added the 22uf SMDs as well as changed the c11 cap. Anything else I can do?
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

rememberizer wrote:
Syntax wrote:
It wont be the psu.

I did. Added the 22uf SMDs as well as changed the c11 cap. Anything else I can do?
Copper tape on the ram lines, on the solder side.

slayrval

Post by slayrval »

Kaixe Rho wrote:Had to create an account just for this, but it's necessary.

First of all, I had to teach myself to solder just for this, but it was worth it. This has answered all of my problems with my setup, my most temperamental of devices - it's incredible. Rama, if you ever read this, I could kiss you.

That's not to say I haven't had some issues setting it up. If anyone could help...man, I would appreciate it.
Primarily, ESP8266 completely disconnects from *any* connection in the following circumstances:
  • Outputting to 1080p, any input resolution
    Downscaling 480i (not 480p) to 240p
Additionally, 7/8 times I try to downscale 480i, the red and blue color channels are swapped. I know this, not just because everything is blue, but also because I fixed it by swapping the red and blue cables. I took a picture as an example.

Who knows about the color issue, but I assumed all of the connection issues were caused by the ESP8266 being mounted on the board, so I desoldered it and have it moved as far away as humanly possible.
The exact same problems persist. So I don't really know what to do. I can't even change my router channel because google, in their infinite wisdom, made the Nest router unable to have it's channel changed - but even then, I can't even find the GBS-Control wifi channel to connect directly, it's simply not outputting a signal.

Can anyone lend me a hand?
Welcome! I am having same issues with Wifi dropping completely when outputing 1080p. Think its a pretty common issue and only thing found to fix it was removing the green component cable from the input OR changing to channel 6 on my router. Wish there was a better solution to change settings, maybe bluetooth could be an option?
slayrval

Post by slayrval »

loopf wrote:I'd be curious to hear other people's experiences regarding the clock gen + seamless 240p/480i.

I'm using the GBS mostly for PS1 (resolution switch) and PS2 (deinterlacing), so it's a feature that has a lot of value to me.

Besides that, glad to report I finally got rid of any trace of jailbars and noise by outputting YPbPr into the OSSC, most likely thanks to the LPF.
I have found no fix so far with using a clock gen board and still keeping seemless transition 480i to 240p. It seems it may be display dependant as well if sync drops or not. I removed clock gen board for now since I don't really have bad tearing.
slayrval

Post by slayrval »

arrghus8 wrote:Hi,

I recently put together a GBS-8200 with GBS-Control and have a few questions.

I'm using a Monoprice VGA to HDMI adapter (thanks for the suggestion!) which seems to work great. The only issue I'm having is with screen tearing while playing NES or SNES. I haven't noticed any screen tearing with other systems, so I'm wondering if this would be fixed with dejitter mods for each system.

I'm also curious if there's any issues with leaving two consoles plugged into both the component and VGA/RGB inputs at the same time.

Lastly, I'm hoping someone can suggest a simple solution to join two stereo audio inputs to feed into the HDMI adapter. For now I just have both wired straight to the adapter and only plug one device in at a time.

Here are some pictures if anyone is interested: https://imgur.com/a/6Sh3jAS

Thanks!
Nice enclosure did you make that yourself ?
slayrval

Post by slayrval »

Hi, I too have tried multiple power supplies and same issue. I think its moreso with the GBS and VGA to HDMI converter you use than the power supply. Place copper or aluminum tape doulble layer on the back side of the PCB board memory traces and found it greatly removed noise. If you are using a cheap VGA to HDMI converter and taping off the GBS for its 5V power that will introduce alot of noise. Suggest you get the monoprice vga to HDMI converter with its own dedicated power supply. Or try powering the cheap VGA to HDMI converter with its own dedicated power supply. using the monoprice vga to hdmi was only thing that worked for me and noise is now completely gone! on par with the OSSC maybe even better (havent played with tweaking OSSC settings too much) OSSC is still sharper with better colors though
slayrval

Post by slayrval »

fernan1234 wrote:

no way to easily toggle on and off that I know
Kaixe Rho

Post by Kaixe Rho »

slayrval wrote: Welcome! I am having same issues with Wifi dropping completely when outputing 1080p. Think its a pretty common issue and only thing found to fix it was removing the green component cable from the input OR changing to channel 6 on my router. Wish there was a better solution to change settings, maybe bluetooth could be an option?
Well that's a shame that there seems to be no known solution. I'm interested to see what the official solution will be - I'm assuming the GBSC-AIO will have to fix this completely before release, and I'm assuming it's the major stumbling block.

The only thing that really baffles me is that the red and blue channels are switching in such a specific and singular circumstance. I'm quite baffled that no one else seems to have experienced this, or at least not as google was able to make clear to me upon searching.

It's strange, it's so good at what it does that I don't really mind these issues, but they do hold it back from standing toe to toe with the giants, Imo. Still love it, though. My plasma EDTV started freaking out when getting 480i over component (hello, PS2) and this was like an extra strength migraine formula solution fix for that problem, let alone everything else this thing can do.
slayrval

Post by slayrval »

Kaixe Rho wrote:
slayrval wrote: Welcome! I am having same issues with Wifi dropping completely when outputing 1080p. Think its a pretty common issue and only thing found to fix it was removing the green component cable from the input OR changing to channel 6 on my router. Wish there was a better solution to change settings, maybe bluetooth could be an option?
Well that's a shame that there seems to be no known solution. I'm interested to see what the official solution will be - I'm assuming the GBSC-AIO will have to fix this completely before release, and I'm assuming it's the major stumbling block.

The only thing that really baffles me is that the red and blue channels are switching in such a specific and singular circumstance. I'm quite baffled that no one else seems to have experienced this, or at least not as google was able to make clear to me upon searching.

It's strange, it's so good at what it does that I don't really mind these issues, but they do hold it back from standing toe to toe with the giants, Imo. Still love it, though. My plasma EDTV started freaking out when getting 480i over component (hello, PS2) and this was like an extra strength migraine formula solution fix for that problem, let alone everything else this thing can do.
Ya there will be issues with such a cheap and DIY solution. I think its really dependant on placement of wifi router and what channel it is on. I think bluetooth would be a great option over wifi allowing settings to be easily changed over phone and wouldnt have to mess around with web server and dropping wifi connection.

Doing some quick googling it seems the ESP32 is the successor to the ESP8266 and has upgraded wifi and bluetooth on board. Wonder if this could be used over the ESP8266 or extensive programming changes would have to be done in GBS-control software? The ESP32 only slightly more expensive at $10.
RoboArmy

Post by RoboArmy »

So I figured out all my issues with the GBS-Control weren't issues with the device itself at all:

First off, the tearing I was having with the GBS. For some dumb reason I tested the GBS after installing the clockmod with games from the PS1/PS2 gen that already have tearing issues on regular A/V (how did I never notice it before?). To add to the confusion, all VGA->HDMI converters I bought seemed to add even MORE tearing on top of the image. Turns out my GBS was doing its' job correctly, and my last HDMI adapter I bought too (all previous ones I had were legitimately crap though), the culprit was my stupid HDMI USB 3.0 capture dongle which not only did that ugly tearing but also added tons of noise and muted colors from any converter for some reason (maxing out contrast on it solved the color issue partially but not the noise).

I only found out about it because my dumb ass only thought about plugging in the HDMI cable on the TV for testing today after my third adapter arrived. As a matter of fact the image is beautiful on it and I feel no noticeable lag coming from the device, I only had to do small brightness/contrast adjustments on the TV since the image was a bit dark at first but now the picture quality is great, better than even plugging my VGA cable directly onto the TV, even. Speaking of which it turns out my old ass Samsung LCD is giving out too when it comes to analog signals, I notice it first after I removed a PAL-M mod from a SCPH-7501 and tried to test the console on A/V and got no audio and a poor quality picture (but good image/sound on a newer TV I have). My VGA input works fine but with crushed blacks and some noise on said blacks, and is a far cry from what the HDMI converter outputs. This was such an unexpected boost in image quality that it honestly weirded me out at first.

tl;dr: I'm an idort and everything was failing EXCEPT the GBS itself. I'm such a noob when it comes to image scaling, live and learn though :lol:, thanks EmK, Ryoandr, Jon Nielsen.

edit: now I'm looking for a decent non-chinesium capture device that accepts HDMI or even VGA directly, recommendations are welcome!
arrghus8

Post by arrghus8 »

I had good luck soldering a stripped and tinned inch and a half wire to the antenna on the ESP8266. Haven't had any issues with wifi since then.
slayrval wrote: Nice enclosure did you make that yourself ?
Thanks! I made some changes to S4nni's case on Thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3913273

I removed the output VGA port and closed up all the holes on the front besides the power switch.

I also removed the input VGA port at the back, replaced it with the 8-pin mini-DIN for RGB, added RCA jacks for audio in with a component cable, and added a power jack and panel mount HDMI port.

I'm happy to share the files for the case if anyone wants them.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

RoboArmy wrote: edit: now I'm looking for a decent non-chinesium capture device that accepts HDMI or even VGA directly, recommendations are welcome!
Theres a lot of non-specifics there, as far as what you're looking for. Pcie, usb, price range?

I've been happy with my magewell pro hdmi. Looks like prices are dropping on them finally. I got a great deal on mine at the time, at $230 open box.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/used/120 ... JAQAvD_BwE

RoboArmy

Post by RoboArmy »

NoAffinity wrote:
RoboArmy wrote: edit: now I'm looking for a decent non-chinesium capture device that accepts HDMI or even VGA directly, recommendations are welcome!
Theres a lot of non-specifics there, as far as what you're looking for. Pcie, usb, price range?

I've been happy with my magewell pro hdmi. Looks like prices are dropping on them finally. I got a great deal on mine at the time, at $230 open box.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/used/120 ... JAQAvD_BwE

I do have a free PCIe slot on my PC so I can take in one of those boards. USB I'd use only if there are tons of people attesting to it's quality and if it's processing data autonomously on a local store (aka USB for transfer only). I'm gonna have at look at that magewell but I really need to find something that I can buy locally this time, I've been having some issues with international shipping these days.
Jon Nielsen

Post by Jon Nielsen »

Hello,

I was redoing the 8220 ferrit + cap mod after seeing the post here about the 8220 being able to achieve the sharpest picture.

Having chosen the wrong value cap before and in the meantime switching to a well-performing 8200 board which nothing in the way of mods I thought it would be worth trying.

Long story short, I agree, it did turn out very sharp with the mod using correct value caps (+ the other optional mods while I was at it), but after a short time testing I got flickering and then a black screen.

So I figure I shorted something or damaged a component with heat due to all the soldering. Receiving devices still recognize the refresh frequency - and resolution including when changing it from the web interface. It's just all black.

Any tips for where to start troubleshooting from members here with more GBS experiences?

I'd also like to request pictures of ferrite+cap installations anyone might have for inspiration as I wasn't able to arrange them in the same way as the wiki shows.

Having a functional board, for, you know, actually playing, is great when tinkering like this. But hopefully I'll soon learn how this guinea pig board ticks to be able to fix it ;-)
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Check all your soldered connections. Sounds like you have a cold solder joint or something shorting. Some of those solder points are very tight to nearby pins etc.

Will post pics of the my charge pump mods, hopefully tonight.

Jon Nielsen

Post by Jon Nielsen »

NoAffinity wrote:Check all your soldered connections. Sounds like you have a cold solder joint or something shorting. Some of those solder points are very tight to nearby pins etc.

Will post pics of the my charge pump mods, hopefully tonight.

Thanks NoAffinity. That's what I was afraid of. I've just gotten my lamp + magnifying glass setup again and reflowed some connections that didn't look too good. Next step is to try another ferrite bead and cap.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Here you go. Pic of R58 replaced with a 120 ohm ferrite bead and 100n cap between R59->R58.
Spoiler
Jon Nielsen

Post by Jon Nielsen »

NoAffinity wrote:Here you go. Pic of R58 replaced with a 120 ohm ferrite bead and 100n cap between R59->R58.
Spoiler
Thanks! Ferrite looks similar to the one I have now, so I'll leave that in and instead replace the cap. The 100n cap I used is too large (0805), and it's hard to tell if anything is being shorted or has bad soldering if it's towering/leaning over the other components. 3 fit in a line just looks nice :-)