Ketsui now available on US PSN

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Wilsoncqb1911

Ketsui now available on US PSN

Post by Wilsoncqb1911 »

Public service announcement. Yeah, I already had the disc from play asia but I bought it again. Just like I'll do if ESP Rade comes out.
XtraSmiley

Re: Ketsui now available on US PSN

Post by XtraSmiley »

Wilsoncqb1911 wrote:Public service announcement. Yeah, I already had the disc from play asia but I bought it again. Just like I'll do if ESP Rade comes out.
Before you did that, did you check to see if the PA version got an English update?
Wilsoncqb1911

Post by Wilsoncqb1911 »

XtraSmiley wrote:
Wilsoncqb1911 wrote:Public service announcement. Yeah, I already had the disc from play asia but I bought it again. Just like I'll do if ESP Rade comes out.
Before you did that, did you check to see if the PA version got an English update?
I didn't. I was going to support their releases regardless.

Did you check? It sounds like you have the import version. Or were you trying to make some kind of point?
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

Wilsoncqb1911 wrote:
XtraSmiley wrote:
I didn't. I was going to support their releases regardless.

Did you check? It sounds like you have the import version. Or were you trying to make some kind of point?
No no, not being a dick, legit asking!

I'll check now.

Nope, no update that I can tell. I have a Japanse disc version.
Wilsoncqb1911

Post by Wilsoncqb1911 »

[/quote]

I'll check now.

Nope, no update that I can tell. I have a Japanse disc version.[/quote]

Sorry, reflex. It's the internet so I assume everyone is being a dick lol. My apologies.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Agreed, does not look like the Japanese version has an English update. My system is set for US and using my US PSN account, language is still Japanese and I saw no options to change it. Current version is 1.03, which was released last month - AFAIK patched for consistency with the US release. Might also share trophies between US and JPN versions, like Garegga did - I can confirm that a bit later tonight once I download the US version.

That’s not to say they couldn’t update in the future to patch in English support for the JPN version, but nothing as of now.

Also a bit of disappointing news - the IKD arrange version and Virt alternate soundtrack are separate DLC for $7.99 each, on top of the $34.99 price for the base game.
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

Wilsoncqb1911 wrote:

I'll check now.

Nope, no update that I can tell. I have a Japanse disc version.[/quote]

Sorry, reflex. It's the internet so I assume everyone is being a dick lol. My apologies.[/quote]

It's OK, after you said it, I read my post and it came off sort of dickish!
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

hamfighterx wrote:Agreed, does not look like the Japanese version has an English update. My system is set for US and using my US PSN account, language is still Japanese and I saw no options to change it. Current version is 1.03, which was released last month - AFAIK patched for consistency with the US release. Might also share trophies between US and JPN versions, like Garegga did - I can confirm that a bit later tonight once I download the US version.

That’s not to say they couldn’t update in the future to patch in English support for the JPN version, but nothing as of now.

Also a bit of disappointing news - the IKD arrange version and Virt alternate soundtrack are separate DLC for $7.99 each, on top of the $34.99 price for the base game.
To be fair, it was separate in the Japanese one too, only the $60 disk had them included. It still sucks.

I mean, they are a small company, so I want to support, but man, the price is steep!
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

So, I grabbed the US PSN version tonight (and I have spent lots of time with the JPN version) and can confirm a few more things:
* Like Battle Garegga and Dangun Feveron, trophies previously earned in the JPN version are applied to the US version.
* US PSN release is v.1.03 (same as the current JPN version number)
* Seems to be working just fine on PS5, though with my limited play time so far, I can't say with 100% confidence that there are no PS5 issues.

Good reminder from XtraSmiley about the DLC. I bought the Japanese physical disc version of Ketsui, so I didn't remember that the Japanese PSN version also had the Virt soundtrack and IKD arrange as separate ¥800 DLC. Still a bit unfortunate though, especially since all 4 other existing entries in the ShotTriggers series have included everything in the base price.

TBH, I also don't really think either of these paid DLC are as strong as the extras/arranges in some of the other ShotTriggers releases, so it's even more glaring in comparison:
* Despite usually liking Virt's stuff, his Ketsui AST was one of the more disappointing remixed soundtracks in the series to me, especially when comparing to the amazing Garegga mixes and the god-tier Chibi-tech Feveron remix (worth the price of admission by itself!). I prefer both of the other Ketsui ASTs that come for the standard price (Matsumoto and Basiscape), as well as the classic arcade OST.
* Similarly, Ketsui IKD Arrange mode is just not one of my favorite Cave or ShotTriggers arrange modes. Still probably worth the price for big fans just for the novelty of getting access to a Cave matsuri version, and maybe especially if you're really good at the game. Just isn't that fun to play for me though.
Kobayashi

Post by Kobayashi »

34.99 bidens for a digital version?
No, thank you. I'm satisfied with my physical version for PS3.
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

Kobayashi wrote:34.99 bidens for a digital version?
Yeah, it's a tad high, but still, they gotta eat.

What I find a bummer is that the M2 games NEVER go on sale. I've been waiting to pick up Sorcer Striker for over a year and it's not dropped one cent yet.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

So, is this really better than the PS3 port?
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Yes, IMO the ShotTriggers release is significantly better than the PS3/360 ports. If you just want a solid port of the arcade game, the PS3/360 ports are pretty good but not perfect (they run slightly fast), you can tell the slight difference when playing back to back with the ShotTriggers release which is likely virtually perfect (see: https://twitter.com/shmups/status/1070074132748886016). With the ShotTriggers release existing, really the only thing the PS3/360 versions have going for them any more is the unique arrange mode (X mode) - otherwise they've been totally superseded.

There are just SO many nice bells and whistles in the ShotTriggers release:

1. WONDERFUL training mode, breaking each level down by sections, mid-boss, boss, full stage, all with great statistics tracking (by ship, no-miss, bombs used, etc.).

2. Another good training tool, the "Bonds of Growth" mode that takes your Arcade mode performance and challenges you to replay ~10 second segments from places you lost a ship in the Arcade mode. Really good to help you practice at those tricky areas that give you trouble.

3. Much better visual filters and screen display on the PS4 game. Maybe less of an issue if you're playing the PS3/360 game on a quality low-res monitor, but if you're using an HD monitor it's noticeable.

4. Lots of alternate modes: PS4 gets (1) Arcade mode, (2) a fun "Deathtiny" arrange mode, (3) "IKD 2007 Special" Cave Matsuri arrange mode DLC (included in JPN disc version), (4) a very good "Very Easy" mode for practice. PS3/360 gets (1) Arcade mode and (2) X Mode arrange.

5. Lots of alternate soundtracks: In addition to the arcade OST, PS4 gets a Stereo Mix (Manabu Namiki) plus three different ASTs from Basiscape, Matsumoto, and Virt.

6. Useful M2 Gadgets to display on-screen information outside of the main game window (either in horizontal or TATE orientation). Some of these are just nice to see stage maps, tracking for 2nd loop conditions, boss scoring pictures... And some stuff that actually helped me learn parts of the game I never even understood in years of playing Ketsui, like the timers on stage 2 & 5 mid-bosses where depending on how long into the short looping timer you kill the mid-boss, you can get more trash enemies immediately after the mid-boss (and increase your score).

Plus there's the possible convenience factor of being playable on PS4 or PS5, versus needing to have a PS3 or 360 hooked up. As far as PS5 accuracy goes, I've now put over 10 hours into Ketsui this week on PS5 (and a couple hours this week on an actual PS4 + dozens of hours in the past couple years on PS4) - as far as I can tell, PS5 seems perfect with no apparent backwards compatibility issues.
Kobayashi

Post by Kobayashi »

hamfighterx wrote:Yes, IMO the ShotTriggers release is significantly better than the PS3/360 ports. If you just want a solid port of the arcade game, the PS3/360 ports are pretty good but not perfect (they run slightly fast), you can tell the slight difference when playing back to back with the ShotTriggers release which is likely virtually perfect (see: https://twitter.com/shmups/status/1070074132748886016). With the ShotTriggers release existing, really the only thing the PS3/360 versions have going for them any more is the unique arrange mode (X mode) - otherwise they've been totally superseded.

1. WONDERFUL training mode, breaking each level down by sections, mid-boss, boss, full stage, all with great statistics tracking (by ship, no-miss, bombs used, etc.).

2. Another good training tool, the "Bonds of Growth" mode that takes your Arcade mode performance and challenges you to replay ~10 second segments from places you lost a ship in the Arcade mode. Really good to help you practice at those tricky areas that give you trouble.

3. Much better visual filters and screen display on the PS4 game. Maybe less of an issue if you're playing the PS3/360 game on a quality low-res monitor, but if you're using an HD monitor it's noticeable.

4. Lots of alternate modes: PS4 gets (1) Arcade mode, (2) a fun "Deathtiny" arrange mode, (3) "IKD 2007 Special" Cave Matsuri arrange mode DLC (included in JPN disc version), (4) a very good "Very Easy" mode for practice. PS3/360 gets (1) Arcade mode and (2) X Mode arrange.

5. Lots of alternate soundtracks: In addition to the arcade OST, PS4 gets a Stereo Mix (Manabu Namiki) plus three different ASTs from Basiscape, Matsumoto, and Virt.

6. Useful M2 Gadgets to display on-screen information outside of the main game window (either in horizontal or TATE orientation). Some of these are just nice to see stage maps, tracking for 2nd loop conditions, boss scoring pictures... And some stuff that actually helped me learn parts of the game I never even understood in years of playing Ketsui, like the timers on stage 2 & 5 mid-bosses where depending on how long into the short looping timer you kill the mid-boss, you can get more trash enemies immediately after the mid-boss (and increase your score).

Plus there's the possible convenience factor of being playable on PS4 or PS5, versus needing to have a PS3 or 360 hooked up. As far as PS5 accuracy goes, I've now put over 10 hours into Ketsui this week on PS5 (and a couple hours this week on an actual PS4 + dozens of hours in the past couple years on PS4) - as far as I can tell, PS5 seems perfect with no apparent backwards compatibility issues.
Interesting, but, in my understanding, investing in a physical version is a better deal, even if a digital version contains some improvements.

About graphic filters, I usually hate them. I like to play Ketsui on PS3 by connecting via component cable directly to my CRT TV and the picture looks fantastic. In my understanding, the image in this way is much better than on HDTVs connected via HDMI + filters, whatever they may be.

There is also an advantage of Dualshock 3 over Dualshock 4 which is the issue of the battery taking longer to exhaust.
Kobayashi

Post by Kobayashi »

XtraSmiley wrote:
Kobayashi wrote:34.99 bidens for a digital version?
Yeah, it's a tad high, but still, they gotta eat.

What I find a bummer is that the M2 games NEVER go on sale. I've been waiting to pick up Sorcer Striker for over a year and it's not dropped one cent yet.
That's why I like Steam for shmups. In mid- or late-year sales, virtually the entire catalog is swept away with generous discounts!
hamfighterx wrote:Yes, IMO the ShotTriggers release is significantly better than the PS3/360 ports. If you just want a solid port of the arcade game, the PS3/360 ports are pretty good but not perfect (they run slightly fast), you can tell the slight difference when playing back to back with the ShotTriggers release which is likely virtually perfect (see: https://twitter.com/shmups/status/1070074132748886016). With the ShotTriggers release existing, really the only thing the PS3/360 versions have going for them any more is the unique arrange mode (X mode) - otherwise they've been totally superseded.

Interesting, but, in my understanding, investing in a physical version is a better deal, even if a digital version contains some improvements.

About graphic filters, I usually hate them. I like to play Ketsui on PS3 by connecting via component cable directly to my CRT TV and the picture looks fantastic. In my understanding, the image in this way is much better than on HDTVs connected via HDMI + filters, whatever they may be.

There is also an advantage of Dualshock 3 over Dualshock 4 which is the question of the battery taking longer to exhaust.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Only downside is that I feel like Evaccaneer and Evaccaneer DOOM go down much more pathetically in Deathtiny mode than in the arcade version.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

this is fantastic news given the question marks regarding continued Western releases for these games. Thanks for the post - I will definitely be picking up.

@Xtra: I did see ShotTriggers Battle Garegga go on sale once, so there is hope. It's just exceedingly rare.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Kobayashi wrote:Interesting, but, in my understanding, investing in a physical version is a better deal, even if a digital version contains some improvements.
The M2-ported PS4 ShotTriggers release does have a physical version - released in 2018 in Japan. While this topic is about the just-released US (PSN-only) release of that port, it doesn't change the fact that there is an existing physical release of this port that is superior to the older PS3/360 releases.
The PS3 and 360 versions of Ketsui do not even have an option to play without forced smoothing filters. You must choose one of four filters: Lanczos, Nearest Neighbor, Bilinear, or Bicubic. Personally, I find the Lanczos filter the most accurate of the available options.

I play my 360 with RGB cables on a Sony PVM (CRT), generally using low-res/original options for Cave ports where it's available (most of the Cave self-published games). The display quality on the PS4 Ketsui on an HD display looks better and more accurate than what I get on the 360/PS3 ports on CRT.
There is also an advantage of Dualshock 3 over Dualshock 4 which is the question of the battery taking longer to exhaust.
A wired stick has no battery life ;) Also, Dualshock 5... er Dual Sense has pretty good battery life!
Last edited by hamfighterx on Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ddshot

Post by Ddshot »

So no eu psn release,again!still waiting for mahou diakusen,dangun feveron!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

bigbadboaz wrote: @Xtra: I did see ShotTriggers Battle Garegga go on sale once, so there is hope. It's just exceedingly rare.
Thanks, I'll keep an eye out, but I assume I'll eventually just cave and buy the damn $35 one.
Ddshot wrote:So no eu psn release,again!still waiting for mahou diakusen,dangun feveron!
Just buy the US region one, it's in English after all!
VanishingVision

Post by VanishingVision »

I picked this up today and am noticing a very minor stuttering during gameplay, as in the scrolling isn't 100% smooth. I'm seeing this always, not just during moments when the screen is full of bullets/chips. I've never played Ketsui on the PCB before, just MAME. Is this just something internal to the game, or is there something I need to change in the settings or fix on my end? I have M2's Garegga and Feveron ports, and this does not happen in them.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Unless there is some other problem happening, this is probably a result of trying to match the framerate of the original PCB. Modern consoles and digital displays are pretty much locked to 60 hz output. Whereas old school consoles and PCBs could run at random framerates anywhere close to 60 and a CRT monitor could still accept the signal.

Some PCBs such as Seibu SPI actually ran noticeably slower than 60 hz. In a port to consoles you are left with the choice of locking to 60 which gives you buttery smooth scrolling at the expense of slightly speeding up gameplay (I think this is what the 360 port of Ketsui did?). Or you can mess with the frame pacing to match the speed and gameplay feel of the original at the expense of some motion judder. If you have a game that originally ran well below 60 combined with a fast scrolling background the stutter can be pretty noticeable. Check the fast scrolling city background in Image Fight's intro on ACA port for an example of this.

Personally I prefer matching gameplay speed and accept the slight stutter as an inevitable limitation of porting across platforms. A few really nicely done ports like Raiden Fighters Aces give you the choice and even offer different options for attempting to smooth out this stutter.
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

Kobayashi wrote:
It’s also almost impossible to find genuine DualShock 3s anymore.
Or, even decent knock-offs.
It’s a real bummer.
gct

Post by gct »

kid aphex wrote:It’s also almost impossible to find genuine DualShock 3s anymore.
It’s a real bummer.
I don't know how relevant this advice is at this point, but a while back I bought a(nother) second-hand PS3 from Craigslist for something like $100. It came with four Dualshock 3 controllers. I kept two controllers for myself, put CFW on the system along with a hard drive full of games and gave it away to my nephew with the other two controllers. The batteries needed to be zapped directly on a hobby charger before they would respond to charging via USB, but they have been working well since.

So, you might want to try looking for people who are just unloading their old stuff as a bundle.
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

gct wrote:
kid aphex wrote:It’s also almost impossible to find genuine DualShock 3s anymore.
It’s a real bummer.
I don't know how relevant this advice is at this point, but a while back I bought a(nother) second-hand PS3 from Craigslist for something like $100. It came with four Dualshock 3 controllers. I kept two controllers for myself, put CFW on the system along with a hard drive full of games and gave it away to my nephew with the other two controllers. The batteries needed to be zapped directly on a hobby charger before they would respond to charging via USB, but they have been working well since.

So, you might want to try looking for people who are just unloading their old stuff as a bundle.
I’m kind of interested in this hobby charger you’re talking about?
What do you mean, ‘zapped’?

Most PS3 controllers I’ve found have batteries that are totally dead. I assumed they would never be able to be revived. Is what you’re talking about a way to sort of give them a little more life?

Sorry, I’m pretty unfamiliar with the DualShock’s battery situation.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

They could have reached such a low charge state that they no longer respond normally.
Acer

Post by Acer »

Anyone know if the m2 shooters take advantage of the PS4 pro, with a higher resolution?
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

Acer wrote:Anyone know if the m2 shooters take advantage of the PS4 pro, with a higher resolution?
Interesting question. I only had a Pro with my M2s and I've been (slowly) testing the PS5, but I've never considered resolution changes. Nothing between the Pro and 5 on this front.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=67624
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

If it did work that way the real advantage would be that 4k resolution happens to divide by 240p so you can get integer scaling that fills the whole screen vertically. Or in the case of Ketsui horizontally in tate mode.

This was also true of 720p. At 1080p there is no integer scale that will fill the screen top to bottom. Last gen most M2 ports on 360 let you use 720p or 1080p via the console output settings. I think in a lot of ways 720p would still be the best option for 240p ports. This gen everything seems to be locked to 1080p except for Switch games in handheld mode.

Of course if M2 updated their crusty old scaling and filtering options this wouldn't be an issue bc you could do noninteger scaling that didn't look like ass. Devs like Gotch, NERD and Analogue have already figured this stuff out.
heli

Post by heli »

Is it in english language ?

The practice mode is really good in the PS4 version.
I managed to complete up to stage 3 without getting hit one time.
In the real game its impossible for me.