Mechanical Star Astra

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BulletMagnet

Mechanical Star Astra

Post by BulletMagnet »

So, uh, have I missed something?

It would appear that someone (specifically this guy) is developing a rather promising new shmup, released a demo a week or three back, which can be downloaded here, and even thanks a handful of the forum's members in the demo's credits.

Er, did someone already create a topic for this someplace and I somehow missed it? I figured I'd have seen a bit more talk about this one...eh, whatever, if by some slim chance I'm not the last person on the planet to catch wind of this thing, download the demo, try it, leave the devs some feedback, hopefully the project can keep on truckin'.
Udderdude

Re: Mechanical Star Astra

Post by Udderdude »

I tried it. I even quote tweeted it on Twitter. omg.

Has a lot of promise. I ran into some major stuttering issues, though. My PC is more than up to the task of running this game, so hopefully technical issues like that will be ironed out.
leodash

Post by leodash »

It was showcased in Shmup Slam 3 Day 1 here: https://youtu.be/8fisQKlq298?t=4384
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Okay, at least it seems folks are talking about it a bit via means that people actually use, as opposed to me scratching away at the walls of a cave here. :P Hopefully the devs stop in at some point to keep Luddites like myself up to date.
barmskii

Post by barmskii »

Udderdude wrote:I tried it. I even quote tweeted it on Twitter. omg.

Has a lot of promise. I ran into some major stuttering issues, though. My PC is more than up to the task of running this game, so hopefully technical issues like that will be ironed out.
Same here. Real shame as it looks great. I really want to play it but i maxed out at about 4fps :shock:
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

For the users who have issues with the speed/framerate, try to edit the "options.ini" file in the folder where the game is located and set "AlternateSyncMethod" to 1.
There's a Game Maker-related bug that made it (and other shmups using a similar version of the engine) slow down on machines that could usually handle it without problems and this setting tweak solved the problem.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
barmskii

Post by barmskii »

I re-downloaded the demo last night and it worked this time without any tweaking.

Great game, looking forward to the full release.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Best wishes to Boghog and his team~

Definitely looks promising and cool, been lightly observing development from the gamedev discord channel.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
mgtn

Post by mgtn »

Dowloaded

No fps problem here. I reallly enjoyed, i will waiting the full release.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

I tried the demo for this and played that one stage for like 3 hours.
Qwesta's boss theme is that hotblooded raver EDM that takes me way back. I fucking love that song and that vibe in this genre as a whole.

The medaling and cube collecting is extremely addicting. I like these sorts of scoring systems that are simple but risky and dont require too much to understand. You just need to route well and be aggressive. Reminds me of Blue Revolver. I can't wait for this one.
Leander

Post by Leander »

I think the game is on hold while the creators do paid work to keep the lights on.
Check out Gunvein to see what boghog is currently working on (and will certainly release before Astra.)
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Don't forget to check out REDPULSE, another game by boghog. It's a fantastic run 'n gun that's focused heavily on using a slide dash to speed through levels, where scoring kills in rapid succession is what builds your scoring multiplier. Ton of fun.

https://boghog.itch.io/redpulse