Why is Dotemu so infamous?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
fireflame

Why is Dotemu so infamous?

Post by fireflame »

I noticed the majority of Dotemu releases are often blamed for lacking optimization, faithful emulation, bad controls,etc.....

Every time I consider buying an old game and I see Dotemu, I feel a bit anxious because feedbacks are often terrible.

People didnt like their release about Double Drgon Trilogy, Blazing Star, and most of their games.I had a look at Raiden Legacy and eople criticized stuttering(which is apparrently fixed now).

Why do they have so much troubole optimizing old games. Is it a matter of lack of effort, qualified people?
WelshMegalodon

Re: Why is Dotemu so infamous?

Post by WelshMegalodon »

The most common explanation I see is that it isn't profitable to put time and effort into polishing the emulation because the product most likely won't pull in a big enough audience.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
MathU

Post by MathU »

For a time they were also likely violating the old MAME license by using its code for commercial sale. DotEmu is as good an argument as any other to ask the question "What's the point?" The community of hobbyist coders has long since produced better emulation and feature sets than just about any small developer could be expected to produce with limited time and resources, especially when IP squatters often refuse to let the developers they outsource to even access the source code for old games (and sometimes have lost it entirely). Seriously, why bother? Just sell the players a ROM license already and let us use whatever emulator we please.
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

I agree, if the emulation is not as good as Mame then what's the point? But if a port has good emulation and nice extra features, then for me its worth it, especially on console. I just never enjoyed straight emulation that much for some reason. Maybe the overwhelming choice of games somehow cheapens the experience.

When it comes to ports like the recent City Connection Psikyo ports? Even though they're not that bad, I'd rather go with Mame for those.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Their Neo Geo track record is enough for me to hate them tbh. Image

https://coolgreat.website/post/15577037 ... on-the-ps4
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Man those Neo Geo ports sound rough. For anyone who likes those be sure to check out any of the Sega Smash Packs on DC. That's some pure gaming bliss right there :roll: