Other Gaming section

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
system11

Other Gaming section

Post by system11 »

So based on feedback we're trialling splitting off topic into general gaming and true off topic, and that's what this forum section is for. Please let us now how this works out for you, it's not necessarily final and would be trivial to revert at a later date.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
BareKnuckleRoo

Re: Other Gaming section

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

<3
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

Looks pretty sweet. :)
kitten

Post by kitten »

any chance on maybe appending a poll to this topic for like/don't like it? i'm firmly in "don't like it" camp, but i could be in a trivial minority. i definitely get why some people don't want a politics thread bumping to top more often than the scrolling action thread or even having those within proximity of each other, but i grew to appreciate the weird marriage over time. i feel there's not enough activity to warrant extra sections and that having to split attention is going to make me more ambivalent toward coming back from posting hiatuses. the extra clicks and diverted attention are a non-trivial negative and i think are going to ultimately unbalance some of the pretty functional atmosphere over the time, and not necessarily for the better.

would prefer not to get into arguments about this, btw. just voicing my opinion - i doubt people are going to change their minds over their feelings on the matter and this is one of those things that tends to get really hated on places. would be nice to know if it's majority/minority and if it should stay this way.
~Imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Image | Image
~*~*~*~*~*~* If there's a place that I could be ~ Then I'd be another memory *~*~*~*~*~*~
system11

Post by system11 »

I agree with you personally, my plan is to let it run some weeks like this and then see what people think. Of course you could also click on the 'general' heading which would include the contents of both sub forums, but also now the hardware section since it was increasingly hardware focused in general rather than shmup hardware focused. It probably didn't make much sense to lump it in to begin with, but a very long time ago there was more content to do with shmup PCBs in there. Moving hardware & development into a technical overall section might be an idea. Always open to feedback, ultimately I just want it to work for people.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Prefer the older non-splt version personally
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

We've gotten rather long in the tooth that it feels too late to do this. There's a ton of old threads that get a few posts every few years that would take days to scrape into here. Notably I see table top seems to be absent completely here?

Merging development and hardware isn't a good idea. It's already hard enough to get anyone to try your game, they don't need less visibility.
system11

Post by system11 »

BryanM wrote:We've gotten rather long in the tooth that it feels too late to do this. There's a ton of old threads that get a few posts every few years that would take days to scrape into here. Notably I see table top seems to be absent completely here?

Merging development and hardware isn't a good idea. It's already hard enough to get anyone to try your game, they don't need less visibility.
For that last point I'd meant two subsections under a technical main heading rather than merging all the posts in. Should tabletop reside in other gaming or stay off topic? I'd expected it would be videogame focused but it's a valid point. I just moved over a grab bag from the first few pages, there's no way to actually sort everything from existing OT into here so it was manual.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Also not a fan of the new setup.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

Personally I like this setup. I honestly don't venture into Off Topic a whole lot these days precisely because many of the discussions there are...not for me I'll just say and leave it at that. I much prefer having a dedicated non-shmup gaming section where I can easily find such threads without coming across a thread full of everyone's hot social take of the week. I imagine there would be some growing pains with some older threads as mentioned but ultimately I see this as a net positive personally.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Would also like to say I appreciate the change, though I would have preferred hardware not in the center, but obviously a very minor gripe.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

I agree with most of what kitten says. I much preferred the older setup.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

All forums go into the "active topics" list, so it doesn't make a difference to me.

But I think this forum has some of the best video game discussions anywhere, so I can see why you'd want to group that stuff together, and I can see why you'd want to leave some of the really crummy off-topic threads far away from that.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Not a massive fan of the split, but I guess I'll adjust if it stays.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

i like it
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

I pretty much lived only in off-topic so this is a minor inconvenience for me.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
system11

Post by system11 »

Minor update to the try-out. Moved Hardware back out to a technical section, you can now just click on General in the index if you want the old view of non-shmup gaming and off topic threads in one place.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

That seems like a good idea, best of both worlds. Unfortunately it looks like there's a bug; you may be seeing a layout with the moderator account we're not seeing:

• Clicking the Shmups heading only seems to pull in recent topics from Shmups Chat.

• Clicking the Technical and Trading Station headings does not show any recent topics from all of their subheadings.

• Clicking the General heading displays a message instead of showing recent topics: "You do not have the required permissions to read topics within this forum." and you can still click the subheadings to read all of the posts in Other Gaming and Off-Topic.
system11

Post by system11 »

Uhh.. that's unexpected. Ok will get that fixed.

Edit: I have unfucked it up.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Woot. The only thing I notice is that it only shows the first 30 recent topics (including stickied topics), with no page selection number at the bottom. Is that something that can easily be added? Or perhaps making it show a larger number of topics if not? (I'm not familiar with phpBB and what's doable or isn't.)
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

system11 wrote:Minor update to the try-out. Moved Hardware back out to a technical section, you can now just click on General in the index if you want the old view of non-shmup gaming and off topic threads in one place.
I vastly prefer this approach.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
BIL

Post by BIL »

I've been offline most of the week, so this was quite the surprise to come back to!

I can't yet say which arrangement I prefer. I've always empathised with those who want OT's gaming discussion without the other threads (particularly as I love my VG talk, but ALSO love 2 shitpost :oops: Image). OTOH, I found OT's ragamuffin jumble aspect kinda charming. I like seeing Twin Peaks threads pop up next to Virtual On ones, creates a certain mood, naw mean.

Peeps whose company I've enjoyed a great deal for many years have posted both for and against the split, ITT. I'll have to wait and see. I'm glad it's a trial period, for now. I got a lot of posting to do regardless. Image

In the meantime, is thread migration something regular users can help out on? Like Homer Simpson turning a bowl of cornflakes into a deadly kitchen fire, I'm not good at computer, but if there's a checklist or something I'll click the bastard good.
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

I was wondering where the SMT thread went, lol.
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

cj iwakura wrote:I was wondering where the SMT thread went, lol.
This was me with a lot of threads XD

I'll adjust if this ends up being permanent. I basically only posted in off topic, and I will still post there and in this section so that is a small annoyance.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

I'm warming up to the idea. As long as the search function will allow to find content, I'm not frightened by the split.
X - P - B
kitten

Post by kitten »

i think being able to click "general" to combine the two more or less fixes my complaints. my biggest problem at this point is that doing that doesn't show "announcements," which means having to adjust where my eyes usually focus to find new threads. excruciatingly minor lol
~Imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Image | Image
~*~*~*~*~*~* If there's a place that I could be ~ Then I'd be another memory *~*~*~*~*~*~
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

Don't have an opinion yet, but it's good to experiment.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
BIL

Post by BIL »

kitten wrote:i think being able to click "general" to combine the two more or less fixes my complaints. my biggest problem at this point is that doing that doesn't show "announcements," which means having to adjust where my eyes usually focus to find new threads. excruciatingly minor lol
Yeah, this is pretty comfy. As mentioned, I enjoy OT's non-gaming content, but this is a great way to hide it with a click if desired.

Fix the announcements thing and it'd be OCD-perfect Image (I knew something was different :mrgreen:)
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

The other disadvantage is clicking the "General" button currently only shows one page of results, with no option to show additional pages, so it'll only show recent threads from both OT Gaming and general OT, but you can still just look manually or do a search quickly enough to find a specific thread if you're looking for an older one that's fallen off the front page.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Well, one month in I have opinion.

I'm quite fond of this setup. I like being able to warble about favourite TV shows, movies and albums in OT, then go for BIG CHAIN BOUNS bumping up my favourite gaming threads with killer Hard Gayming posts. Image Clicking "General" gets the classic shabby ol' couch feel back whenever I want it.

Granted, this only shows the front page's worth of threads, but that's a lot of threads, and I always treated Page 1 as the "WHATS GOIN ON/WHAT NEEDS BUMP" page anyway. I am bad at computer, so no idea how practical a more functional hybrid display would be, but that'd be the best of both worlds OFC.

I will vote to keep FWIW.