R-Type Final2

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
EmperorIng

Re: R-Type Final2

Post by EmperorIng »

I wonder with this Inaugural Flight Edition being announced, if the kickstarter backers who backed at the physical level will get this same release. I would think so but kickstarter users are so easily screwed...
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

BulletMagnet wrote:I don't know where Kobayashi is from, but here in the USA RGB was never widely available, so the best most people would get on a PS1 is either composite or S-Video.
Well switching to PS2 isn't gonna give you any more RGB cables. :)

Even if it might not has been as common over there during the console's heyday (ironically PS1 is where RGB cables really started getting popular here, since most imports, including pirated ones, would play in greyscale without it), I'm assuming it should still be possible to get the same image quality out of an American PS1.
prophetic

Post by prophetic »

EmperorIng wrote:I wonder with this Inaugural Flight Edition being announced, if the kickstarter backers who backed at the physical level will get this same release. I would think so but kickstarter users are so easily screwed...
Well, this is how it describes my physical reward on Kickstarter:
A physical copy of R-Type Final 2 (for PlayStation 4 or Nintendo Switch) in an exclusive, backer-only slipcase.
So yes, backers won't get as good of a release.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Sumez wrote:Well switching to PS2 isn't gonna give you any more RGB cables. :)
True, but it will at least allow for component. As for whether a US PS1 would still be able to output RGB, I couldn't say offhand (it's certainly a possibility, though I can't help but wonder if Sony just took the feature out to save money, similar to what Nintendo did for later-model SNES consoles), but even if it did you'd need to track down both a cable and a RGB-compatible TV (more than likely a PAL-NTSC power adapter too), which I imagine would be a bit difficult to find; in the end I suppose someone more versed in this stuff than I am would need to add some expertise.
StudioMudprints

Post by StudioMudprints »

BulletMagnet wrote:As for whether a US PS1 would still be able to output RGB, I couldn't say offhand (it's certainly a possibility, though I can't help but wonder if Sony just took the feature out to save money, similar to what Nintendo did for later-model SNES consoles)
Can confirm US original PlayStations have RGB-out capabilities right up through late models. Unsure if the smaller "PSone" does, however. I haven't fired mine up in decades because of a bum AC adapter.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

LE is up on NIS' store. Insta-impulse ordered.

https://store.nisamerica.com/r-type-fin ... ndo-switch

prophetic

Post by prophetic »

Sengoku Strider wrote:LE is up on NIS' store. Insta-impulse ordered.

https://store.nisamerica.com/r-type-fin ... ndo-switch

I guess the only extra thing I get from backing the Kickstarter is my name in the credits. I don't get the model, which is no big deal. The other negative is the extra amount I paid to finance the game. Oh well, I've learned for next time.
Sengoku Strider

prophetic wrote: I guess the only extra thing I get from backing the Kickstarter is my name in the credits. I don't get the model, which is no big deal. The other negative is the extra amount I paid to finance the game. Oh well, I've learned for next time.
This decision was almost surely made on the US publisher side, but I'd be surprised if the developers don't throw backers a bone. This sort of thing happens with Kickstarters all the time, and the inevitable backlash usually has the devs offering something to mollify their backers.
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

prophetic wrote:I guess the only extra thing I get from backing the Kickstarter is my name in the credits. I don't get the model, which is no big deal. The other negative is the extra amount I paid to finance the game. Oh well, I've learned for next time.
I feel the same way. Kickstarter has never been good to me and this is par for the course. I should know better by now!

I got my name in the credits, but I paid twice as much for something I could have gotten a year and a half later.

Maybe I'll buy the LE here and sell my Kickstarter stuff... The model is a tiny metal kit you put together yourself and I have a much better pre-made R-9 model from a decade ago. I'll ponder on it for a while.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

That's not a bad price for what it has, too bad it doesn't seem to be possible to actually order it :evil:
MJR

Post by MJR »

prophetic wrote: I guess the only extra thing I get from backing the Kickstarter is my name in the credits. I don't get the model, which is no big deal. The other negative is the extra amount I paid to finance the game. Oh well, I've learned for next time.
People are absolutely right that kickstarter perks should give them rewards that are unique. Just name in the credits is not much to go with, and if publishers start exploiting the situation by selling unique editions that backers can't get, then obviously people are going to feel burned.

The whole original point of the kickstarter is not to keep a web shop, but to enable the development in the first place. So, if backers are going to continue feeling burned, and decide to withdraw from future kickstarters in order to wait for eventual better LE editions from publishers, then it will negate the whole purpose of crowdfunding, and will lead into situations where no more projects are going to be funded as everyone is going to wait for someone else to fund it and pay the development bill - which will no longer happen = no one will get anything.
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

Looks like the game is entering its third round of crowd funding, using their own website and paypal:
https://www.youtube.com/post/UgzHLxVPUCP2mlJkx894AaABCQ

All I can say is good luck garnering more support.
prophetic

Post by prophetic »

MJR wrote:People are absolutely right that kickstarter perks should give them rewards that are unique. Just name in the credits is not much to go with, and if publishers start exploiting the situation by selling unique editions that backers can't get, then obviously people are going to feel burned.

The whole original point of the kickstarter is not to keep a web shop, but to enable the development in the first place. So, if backers are going to continue feeling burned, and decide to withdraw from future kickstarters in order to wait for eventual better LE editions from publishers, then it will negate the whole purpose of crowdfunding, and will lead into situations where no more projects are going to be funded as everyone is going to wait for someone else to fund it and pay the development bill - which will no longer happen = no one will get anything.
I think we're in complete agreement. I've acknowledged that I financed the game (which is not the same as a pre-order).

And you've expounded on the ripple effects of better and cheaper retail releases vs. Kickstarter editions.

I've had decent satisfaction with anime Kickstarters, but I think I'm done with game development.
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

This is the first and final project I have ever backed. Still no invite to the backer's site.
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
prophetic

Post by prophetic »

Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:This is the first and final project I have ever backed. Still no invite to the backer's site.
team-rtype.rtypefinal2.com

But they don't update anything.
Sly Cherry Chunks

^Thanks but i'm still waiting for them to send me a password. They've posted on their facebook page a couple of times this week, asking people to register before the deadline to get your name in the credits.
Sengoku Strider

Sumez wrote:
That's not a bad price for what it has, too bad it doesn't seem to be possible to actually order it :evil:

Why's that? I was able to put in a preorder, and when I click on the site now it still says 76-100% of stock left.
Sly Cherry Chunks

Sumez wrote:
Try European store? https://store.nisaeurope.com/collection ... dition-ps4
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

People are absolutely right that kickstarter perks should give them rewards that are unique.
I'd settle for getting my copy of the game before or at least no later than all the other non-backers will.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
prophetic

Post by prophetic »

Strider77 wrote:
People are absolutely right that kickstarter perks should give them rewards that are unique.
I'd settle for getting my copy of the game before or at least no later than all the other non-backers will.
How about the demo we were promised? Can they at least deliver on that?
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:Try European store? https://store.nisaeurope.com/collection ... dition-ps4
They didn't have it earlier...
Of course it also costs $33 more. Not sure I'll take this bet.
Dawn111

Post by Dawn111 »

I wish that the R-9A model could be colored, but regardless, I might purchase the R-Type Final 2 Limited Edition. I'd love to have that artbook, as well as the soundtrack!
"You don't have to believe in yourself, because I believe in you." - Drax the Destroyer
https://youtube.com/DawnHibiki
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I thought the metallic arrowhead was an homage to the liquid metal arrowheads you fight in stage 1 of R-Type Final :mrgreen:
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

So I notice that the preorder on the NISA website and the preorder on Amazon seem slightly different. Aside from the exclusion of the figure from the Amazon listing ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08LRTZ6MR?psc=1 ) I notice that the soundtrack there is in a paper casing and also says "Official Soundtrack" and not "Complete Soundtrack" like the one on NISA. Is there any word on track differences here at all?
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

drunkninja24 wrote:So I notice that the preorder on the NISA website and the preorder on Amazon seem slightly different. Aside from the exclusion of the figure from the Amazon listing ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08LRTZ6MR?psc=1 ) I notice that the soundtrack there is in a paper casing and also says "Official Soundtrack" and not "Complete Soundtrack" like the one on NISA. Is there any word on track differences here at all?
Apparently the kickstarter backer's soundtrack is going to have more tracks than the NISA release (according to replies by Granzella on the Kickstarter page comments section). I suspect the Amazon and NISA soundtracks are the same, just Amazon has it re-labeled as it arguably is not 'complete'. That's my take on it, and I may be wrong.
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

Here is the relevant post from Granzella:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us.

We are sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

The game will be sold region-free. For the game software, we will offer as the crowdfunding reward, and we will send it to you in a special paper sleeve box. The exclusive Kickstar backer-only slipcase will not be included with the upcoming ""R-Type Final 2 Inaugural Flight Edition"" that will be released by NIS America.

The soundtrack and art book included in the upcoming NIS America's ""R-Type Final 2 Inaugural Flight Edition"" will be different from those available through our crowdfunding campaigns.

The soundtrack and art book that will be provided as part of the crowdfunding rewards will contain exclusive bonus tracks and graphics.

Besides, we are considering adding some extra perks when we ship the game software. We will prepare a little something to satisfy our crowdfunding backers, so we appreciate your understanding.

Thank you for your continued support for Granzella.

Sincerely,

Granzella Inc.
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

Ah, that makes sense and clarifies just a bit. Now to decide if I want PS4 or Switch version, too bad there's no real way to know of any significant performance differences until the game's release...
Sengoku Strider

Sengoku Strider wrote:I'd be surprised if the developers don't throw backers a bone. This sort of thing happens with Kickstarters all the time, and the inevitable backlash usually has the devs offering something to mollify their backers.
we are considering adding some extra perks when we ship the game software. We will prepare a little something to satisfy our crowdfunding backers, so we appreciate your understanding.
Toldja.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

just a quick warning for any buyers in the EU (but outside the UK), who plan on ordering from NISA's European store:

They currently charge UK VAT on all European orders. They also confirmed that they'll continue to ship from the UK in 2021, when the UK will have left the EU. This means that - contrary to all previous EU orders from the European NISA store - the prices you see are NOT final, but we'll be taxed additionally on all orders shipping after January 1st 2021.
Samildanach

Post by Samildanach »

Sengoku Strider wrote:
Sengoku Strider wrote:I'd be surprised if the developers don't throw backers a bone. This sort of thing happens with Kickstarters all the time, and the inevitable backlash usually has the devs offering something to mollify their backers.
we are considering adding some extra perks when we ship the game software. We will prepare a little something to satisfy our crowdfunding backers, so we appreciate your understanding.
Toldja.
I just hope it is not some stickers. One thing I don't really need as a 40 year old is some stickers. Maybe I could give them to my 4 year old...