Little things that annoy the hell out of you

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
WelshMegalodon

Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Every anime girl with flesh fangs is secretly a Wobbuffet.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I hate that I now know about this concept -_-
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

I was about to make the BIG funny in the hot take thread...
BUT THAT SHIT GOT LOCKED!
I'm so irate, why I could just hoot and holler! :x
Dawn111

Post by Dawn111 »

null1024 wrote:The flesh fang in modern anime-styled art. It's just deeply unsettling.
I already didn't like the actual tooth fang that shows up in a few pictures, and this retroactively makes that seem much better because it's not like something terrible happened to their mouth, it's just kinda dumb looking to me.
I do like the actual tooth fang from some of the anime characters, but I agree that I am not a fan of disgusting flesh fangs.
I'm a fan of characters like Astolfo and Aoi Inuyama, but their "fangs" look like they're part of their skins, not actual teeth.
"You don't have to believe in yourself, because I believe in you." - Drax the Destroyer
https://youtube.com/DawnHibiki
orange808

Post by orange808 »

So,.Google finds zero days in Chrome a couple weeks back and almost simultaneously starts lecturing Microsoft about fast patches on desktop--involving another issue that was identified in Win10 and used in conjunction.

Then, Google mysteriously pops up today with the Android version of the problem and a solution. How neat and tidy is that? :) Of course, when it's Google, we don't release the information until it's patched. That's "different".

Seems like telling the press immediately would motivate and embarrass Google engineers into patching faster. Let's do that! That's how they handle the rest of us.

Yeah. Double standard. They need to hold themselves to the same standards that apply to everyone else. This Android zero day has been around for weeks and they knew it.
We apologise for the inconvenience
null1024

Post by null1024 »

My family decided to get a fridge that for whatever reason, tends towards keeping the door open instead of closed.
I have absolutely zero idea why anyone would design a fridge like this. It's just baffling.

If no one is holding the door open, it makes sense for the door to swing shut to keep the cold air in, but for whatever reason, they decided that such a thing made too much sense, and explicitly made the doors bounce back open a bit unless explicitly shut.
Flatly baffling design.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

null1024 wrote:My family decided to get a fridge that for whatever reason, tends towards keeping the door open instead of closed.
That sounds pretty annoying. I really prefer the non-biased fridge doors. You close or open when I want you to if your my fridge.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Emulation development on Raspbian being effectively dead outside of RetroPie. Damn libretro and their shitty frontend that falls apart if you look at it the wrong way.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

WelshMegalodon wrote:Emulation development on Raspbian being effectively dead outside of RetroPie. Damn libretro and their shitty frontend that falls apart if you look at it the wrong way.
I am personally irked by this as well. I *very* much dislike retropie. I believed in Lakka for a little while, but it's not kept up-to-date and they omit many cores in the default builds.

My recommendation to you is to compile vanialla retroacrch for armf architechture on Raspberry Pi OS. It's actually not bad to use and it's solid on my Pi4.

If you haven't done this and are curious, read this and the comments section. It was written for the Pi3 and things have changed since then which is addressed in the comments.
https://gist.github.com/AlexMax/32e5d03 ... ea75736805
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

WelshMegalodon wrote:It's weird to me that TIE Fighter required a joystick when the likes of Microsoft Flight Simulator and Falcon 3.0 were fully playable with the keyboard.

Even Flight Simulator 2020 can be played with the keyboard. It's not an optimal input method by any means, but it's there.
It's only the Win 95 version that does this. The X-Wing remake does this too. The original versions of the games, as well as the DOS CD versions, are fully playable with the keyboard.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

As far as I can tell, X-wing does allow you to control pitch and yaw with the arrow keys and fire with Enter, but it's so slow as to be effectively unusable, which is consistent with what others have stated on the subject:

https://www.gog.com/forum/star_wars_xwi ... _lag_xwing
https://www.gog.com/forum/star_wars_tie ... e_keyboard

TIE Fighter, surprisingly enough, actually lets you control roll with the Left and Right arrow keys, though it doesn't appear to let you fire your weapon or steer in any other manner.

Maybe I should just get a stick... or play Wing Commander...
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

WelshMegalodon wrote:As far as I can tell, X-wing does allow you to control pitch and yaw with the arrow keys and fire with Enter, but it's so slow as to be effectively unusable, which is consistent with what others have stated on the subject:

https://www.gog.com/forum/star_wars_xwi ... _lag_xwing
https://www.gog.com/forum/star_wars_tie ... e_keyboard

TIE Fighter, surprisingly enough, actually lets you control roll with the Left and Right arrow keys, though it doesn't appear to let you fire your weapon or steer in any other manner.

Maybe I should just get a stick... or play Wing Commander...
I can't imagine playing with an analog pad would be any worse than playing a flight sim with the keyboard.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

What's funny is that since the last time this subject came up, all of my options have gone out of stock except for the CH Products stick. I guess quality is what lasts.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

WelshMegalodon wrote:
So, I don't know if this is or isn't obvious, but I believe that the point was to play with the mouse in combination with the keyboard. Like you would WASD or use the arrow controls at the same time as the mouse with fire controls and look. It's been a very long time. I literally haven't played it since it was released.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Throttle and most of the other controls needed to play the game are on the keyboard, so it is obvious, haha. My point is that many other flight sims from this time period (Falcon, Wing Commander, Fleet Defender, Longbow 2, and Microsoft Flight Simulator, to name a few) offer keyboard-only control in addition to mouse and joystick support, while X-Wing and TIE Fighter do not.

Rolling in TIE Fighter is so much more responsive with the mouse that I can't imagine why anyone would even want to do it with the keyboard. The fact that you can isn't even listed in the manual.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

I guess this isnt quite a "little" thing but it's not a big thing either. I'm just so bored right now. For months. For obvious reasons if you live state side.

I go to my labor intensive dead end job. Come home, pass out. Seemingly wake up at work. Do that for 5 days.
Weekend hits. I try to draw...something. Make the same stale crap. Go to bed. And then its Monday.

Can't visit people for safety reasons. Same news cycle. Trump. Covid. Trump. Covid. Trump. Covid.
Internet is so sterile, corporate, and homogenized today.

Man I'm fucking bored. One of you dance for me or sonething. :[
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

buy my only fans and we'll see.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

C'mon Blinge, we all know you're too much of a prude to have an onlyfans page.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

For me it's pretty much the innability to enter studio and record music. due to lock down obv

Recording music is pretty much the only thing that anchors me to this planet and motivates me in any capacity. Thankfully I still am very inspired to compose. but at some point you gotta record and release your backlog before moving on.

I guess finding an outlaw studio could be an option. but would cost a ton (our usual studio setup is super cheap)

Maybe it's time to record the synthwave/coldwave project I've been wanting to do with a buddy of mine. That could be done remotely.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
kitten

Post by kitten »

when a forum splits things into subcategories
~Imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Image | Image
~*~*~*~*~*~* If there's a place that I could be ~ Then I'd be another memory *~*~*~*~*~*~
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Yeah, because it's such a joy to have to dig through political and non-gaming threads to find the good gaming-related ones. :roll:

It's less tempting to be sucked into the non-gaming controvertials threads when they're not sorted with the gaming related ones. My sanity if nothing else appreciates this. x_X
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

The Falcom thread, the emulation thread, and Little Annoyed Hell are still in Off-Topic, even though they clearly belong in Other Gaming...
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

It's only been an hour and a half since the forum's been updated. They may still be in the process of going through which ones are flagged to move.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

kitten wrote:when a forum splits things into subcategories
100% agree
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

FinalBaton wrote:
kitten wrote:when a forum splits things into subcategories
100% agree
Next up, the sub-genre wars
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:Yeah, because it's such a joy to have to dig through political and non-gaming threads to find the good gaming-related ones. :roll:

It's less tempting to be sucked into the non-gaming controvertials threads when they're not sorted with the gaming related ones. My sanity if nothing else appreciates this. x_X
Yeah. This is not a bad thing at all.
My lord, I have come for you.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

I didn't even notice. I only look at View new posts and View your posts. lol
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Messaging applications that force an idiotic advertising signature to be appended to all your messages like Tapatalk apparently does. That sort of thing is lame.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

XoPachi wrote: I go to my labor intensive dead end job. Come home, pass out. Seemingly wake up at work. Do that for 5 days.
Weekend hits. I try to draw...something. Make the same stale crap. Go to bed. And then its Monday.

Can't visit people for safety reasons. Same news cycle. Trump. Covid. Trump. Covid. Trump. Covid.
Internet is so sterile, corporate, and homogenized today.

Man I'm fucking bored. One of you dance for me or sonething. :[
I feel you so much.

"Bored" isn't the right word though, at least not for me. Because I don't really have the time to be bored. That's one thing that annoys me so much is when people talk about "all the extra time you have" during the pandemic. Though I do have sympathy for people who lost their job due to the circumstances, I can only envy people who actually feel that they have a surpluss of time they don't know what to do with.

Life where I am goes on, mostly ignoring the pandemic entirely, but infections are still very rampant here, and pretty much everything social I've been doing regularly, on top of everything I had planned for most of this year, has gone down the drain.
My life right now is stuck between going to work every day, and maintaining a lot of issues we have had with our house this year. With nothing happening outside of that, it's like an entire year has been just ripped out of my life. If I'd had to stay at home, I could have delved into hobbies and a lot of the personal projects that I long to devote time to - but as long as I'm kept busy at work, I have no energy to do anything when I get home, and I feel like I am just wasting my life away right now.

I'm sure there's something I could do personally to help this, but it feels so much easier to just wait for a vaccine to combat the pandemic, even if that means another two years or whatever.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Oh man. Are we complaining about being stuck at home? I can do that.

Baltimore is a special city. It's got lots of weird-ass art and music and there are still big warehouses filled with poor artists and plants. And it's cheap; rent here is half that of D.C..

Unfortunately, it's also not a safe place to live. It's not really ok to go out after dark alone in all but the most populated areas which are few and far between.

All of this makes it a prison for the pandemic. I live in a small apartment with no backyard and no greenspace. In order to get to any green space, I have to ride my bike about 3 miles. I don't have a car, so I can't leave the city without renting one. On top of all that, there isn't any fun stuff happening anymore, so the whole point of being in Baltimore is kind of gone. All I'm left with in the "pro" column is cheaper rent, and that's not exclusive to here.

Staying sane here has been about working on projects inside and taking as many long bike rides as I can.