What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Vanguard

Re: What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Post by Vanguard »

Kiwi wrote:Spelunky 2 is unironically Godlike. A perfect sequel, in my opinion. Dwelling could definitely use another patch, though.
I have to call it a step down from 1 given the sheer amount of unfair bullshit in 2, and the how many benign behaviors it needlessly punishes. It doesn't help that dwelling, the biome you'll see the most, is the worst area in either game. It's too bad because it does improve on the original in some important ways.
Marc

Post by Marc »

I veer wildly between both the above opinions.
After a session last night where I couldn't move with any sort of pace, because every Dwelling level seemed to be rammed with fucking arrow traps, I'm leaning toward the latter. And even tweaked, those bear traps are flat out unfair bullshit.
It only takes one good run to bring me around though, and I dread to think how much time I've already sunk into it.
It's flawed, wildly inconsistent, and sometimes brilliant.
The first is definitely a more coherent whole, the entire thing operates like clockwork and there's not a single element that shouldn't be there, or needs tweaking. The second is more a grab bag of ideas shaken up like a fizzy drink then allowed to explode all over the place.

I really, really want this Noita thing to come to console. It looks brilliant.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Marc wrote:
I really, really want this Noita thing to come to console. It looks brilliant.
It is. I think I've said elsewhere - it has that mystery of playing an unknown C64 game as a kid had.

It is also the only game on my rig I have to up the GPU to keep it smooth.

Hope you get a chance to play it. Would love to get some farm members opinions of it.
My lord, I have come for you.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

I was in the mood for a checkpoint racer so I played a little bit of Super Chase H.Q. last night. Pretty cool little game. It's basically Outrun with a first person perspective a few hooks to make it different enough.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

I've played literal Kusoge I enjoyed more than Indivisible. Image

I am a huge VP fan fwiw, played through that game at least 3 times.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

lmao that's the final straw for me, not gonna bother with it.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

I have been playing astronomically unhealthy amounts of Zelda lately.
Spoiler
Last year, I went through all my favorites that I've beaten a bunch before. The Hero of Time games, Wind Waker, TP. The usuals. And of course Link to the Past but I beat that like every month as it is. Not my favorites but I went through Zelda 1 and 2 as well just because.

Recently, I've gone back to ones I haven't spent as much time with. I had Oracle of Seasons as a kid and Ages on an emulator in high school. I did finish both, but not fully which is what I'm going for now. I've had both Oracles on my new uh...New 2DS for a while but didn't play them much. Holy fuck is there a LOT to these games. Especially when you link them. Oracle of Ages is shockingly massive. I feel like I've been playing for 20 hours trying to get everything possible. But I'm having so much fun. Peak action adventure that aged very well minus the obvious GameBoy Color limitations. But these are still super clean, highly layered games.

I also finally started to go through Link's Awakening S. I had it a for a minute but something about it annoyed me before so I just put it down. Not Link's Awakening itself, this game is amazing. I loved it as a kid. I just have a lot of gripes with this remake. Mostly control and technical oddities. But I picked it back up and am trucking through. It's not a horrible job. I just can't believe they didn't pull more from the superior handling Link Between Worlds. Oh well.

The dialogue is sort of stunted, but man this game's story is just great. Certain parts of this game have really nice impact and subtlety. Like when Slime Eel hints at what's actually up with the island. He's the first boss to have death monologue and everything just briefly freezes while he drops this big, ominous clue.
I used to think the plot was dumb and pointless when I beat it as a kid, but as an adult it's really just kind of sad. Especially taking into account how Marin leaves subtle hints that she herself knows what's up, asking you not to forget her long before it's revealed she's not real.
You start to realize that there is no real evil at play. The antagonist is doing what's actually, legitimately necessary for their survival. And it makes things sort of chilling when the last boss in it's death throes is scolding you for ending it all. It all just leaves a lot of questions in the best way.

I fucking love Zelda. :l
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Link's Awakening is incredible. It gets my vote for best 2D Zelda and best gameboy game.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

My first attempt at a Hollow Knight speedrun for the achievement..

Beat the game in 2hrs 26min.
Come get me, ladies..
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

have you beaten the 5th pantheon?
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Why yes I have, on my OG file.

https://youtu.be/BEQLA5_uDdU
Marc

Post by Marc »

Project Warlock. Started it on hard, and it absolutely wrecked me, ammo is scarce, enemies hit hard, and it loves a monster closet. Very quickly decided I didn't have the patience for that, and finding it much more palatable on medium. Nothing whatsoever original about it, but it apes 90's PC FPS's very well and I've enjoyed the first half dozen levels. I'd say I'll go back and try hard once I've finished it, but my backlog is huge and the other half has already bought me Ion Fury (and Ninja Warriors Again! :) ) for Xmas so.... yeah, probably not.

STILL playing Judgement. Last one, I'm never starting another game of this length, I don't have the time anymore at my age. He says, having just ordered that Start Wars Jedi game, and with Cyberpunk to arrive....
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

Blinge wrote:Why yes I have, on my OG file.

https://youtu.be/BEQLA5_uDdU
nice work. i haven't tried it yet, that dlc wasn't out last time i played through the game. I've started playing it again recently, so I will probably be having a go in the near future.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

wipEout

Is it just me, or does wipEout have particularly twitchy controls. I guess I suck at the game, but I definitely find it extremely difficult to avoid bouncing into the sides.

Even at the lowest levels, the competition is basically perfect and you stand zero chance of placing unless you make it through at your top speed without crashing. It's like there are only two choices, come in last or master the game and win every race.

The last choice of vehicle is a little easier to control as it seems to be heavier, and it's also night and day better to play in third person because you can visualize your oversteer, but those advantages still have not got me out of last place on but a handful of runs.

bruTally difficult.

Marc

Post by Marc »

I finished it on whatever the hardest level is back when I got my first PS1.... I tried again when I picked it up for the PS3 some years back and found it an ass to play.

if I remember correctly, the biggest niggle is the way contact with a wall, at any angle, stops you almost dead. Something they improved with every further iteration. Love Wipeout 64, never managed to play XL / Special Edition though. May have to see if that's available as a download...

Thinking of it, I never really played any of the 2048 content on the PS4 version either.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Marc wrote:contact with a wall, at any angle, stops you almost dead
That's spot on. If you so much as touch a wall, your run is over. Obviously, there is a specific pattern/feel to it that must click after awhile, but I'm not sure if I have the patience for it anymore.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

It's been a while since I played it, and I've only played the Saturn version (I know, right?), but I can never get on with the kind of external camera Wipeout uses (not just behind the vehicle, but elevated) and always overcompensate when steering. Once you get a feel for where the rear of your "car" is (and thus avoid stopping randomly whenever you brush the sides) I find the onboard camera easier to race with.

Qirex might be a good one to spend some time with if the twitchy handling is a problem, because that thing doesn't turn easily. Either that or Auricom (the heaviest one but a bit more responsive to steer). It's punishing to begin with because of how bad the acceleration is, so one mistake will tank your lap, but I definitely appreciated the slower and more stable handling of those two heavier ones.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

vol.2 wrote:wipEout

Is it just me, or does wipEout have particularly twitchy controls. I guess I suck at the game, but I definitely find it extremely difficult to avoid bouncing into the sides.

Even at the lowest levels, the competition is basically perfect and you stand zero chance of placing unless you make it through at your top speed without crashing. It's like there are only two choices, come in last or master the game and win every race.

The last choice of vehicle is a little easier to control as it seems to be heavier, and it's also night and day better to play in third person because you can visualize your oversteer, but those advantages still have not got me out of last place on but a handful of runs.

bruTally difficult.

https://i.imgur.com/f5cO9bR.jpg
OG Wipeout on PS1 is rough with collision. The Saturn version actually made the collisions much, much more forgiving, and I wholly recommend it over the PS1 release except it runs at lol 20fps.
But really, Wipeout XL is a much better game anyway, play that on PS1.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Dawn111

Post by Dawn111 »

I'm still grinding really hard on The iDOLM@STER: Million Live! Theater Days, so I can get top rankings in the current event I'm playing.
I've also been playing Castlevania Rondo of Blood, which is easily one of the best Castlevania games I've ever played besides Bloodlines.
"You don't have to believe in yourself, because I believe in you." - Drax the Destroyer
https://youtube.com/DawnHibiki
Marc

Post by Marc »

Formula Retro Racing on XboxOX. It's a potentially nice Virtua Racing rip, that suffers from a lack of speed, and makes you do EIGHT laps of the two courses I tried for some odd reason. Handling isn't as twitchy as VR though.One patch away from being pretty good fun.

Think I'm gonna sttempt a NES Castlevania over the weekend.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

bruTally difficult.

Try reverse airbraking in the classic games. You need to practice the circuits and learn the hit your turns early. The older games were very drifty and airbraking really needs to be mastered. And don't feel bad about slowing down when cornering. You'll have to do that no matter what once you hit higher speed classes.
I can't speak for the original. I know it has some dodgy track design like SilverSteam, but the earliest I've finished was 2097.
But yeah, XL/2097 is generally considered the better game from what I hear on the forums. 3 is also extremely good if you want to stick with the classics. That one is very different and super clean.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

XoPachi wrote:

bruTally difficult.

Try reverse airbraking in the classic games. You need to practice the circuits and learn the hit your turns early. The older games were very drifty and airbraking really needs to be mastered. And don't feel bad about slowing down when cornering. You'll have to do that no matter what once you hit higher speed classes.
I can't speak for the original. I know it has some dodgy track design like SilverSteam, but the earliest I've finished was 2097.
But yeah, XL/2097 is generally considered the better game from what I hear on the forums. 3 is also extremely good if you want to stick with the classics. That one is very different and super clean.
I have 1, 3 and the one on PS 4. Always liked 3 a lot.

It's got that sweet proto track too!
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

The wireframe proto tracks on 3 are rad.

Wipeout is always a tough game to control, you really have to be using air braking aggressively to power steer through corners and it's much harder to control than drifting based car racers.
guigui

Post by guigui »

Feisar is your best ally in Wipeout 1 if you have difficulty not boucing everywhere. You'll gain so much time by going properly through corners that the loss of speed in straight lines wont matter. Slight moves to adjust in straight lines, big moves to go round corners. Positionning, braking, airbraking if hard turn, are the keys.
Also Wipeout 1 is the only Wipeout game where I found that rambling in/through your opponents is always the best solution to overcome them.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

I'm going back through Sonic Adventure 2. I'm partial to Adventure 1 because of how broken it is and I love pushing it to death because of it. But I have very specific fond memories of Adventure 2. God this game's amazing...

EXCEPT Security Hall. Fuck this level. How are you gonna time me in a mission like this?! :C
Stevens wrote:
I have 1, 3 and the one on PS 4. Always liked 3 a lot.

3 and the 74th version of the PSP games on the PS4 are my personal favorites.
Modern WipEout is a lot more subdued than the classics, but there's something so refined and tight about them that very few other games in the subgenre match. Pacer is not one of them.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

guigui wrote:Feisar is your best ally in Wipeout;)
All of them.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Wipeout XL uses the NeGcon. Highly recommended!
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Stevens wrote:

Absolutely. The music in the wipEout series is fantastic. Art direction is amazing as well.

I haven't played the others (besides 1), but I have listened to the soundtracks.

Okay. Okay. I bought a copy of XL. I guess not so bad, it's only a ~$10 game. Haven't given up on the first one yet, going to try working on my air brakes tonight.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

I think three has my favorite tracks. Sampa Run..oh yeah

The graphics is the newer ones though..
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Stevens wrote:I think three has my favorite tracks. Sampa Run..oh yeah

The graphics is the newer ones though..
I'll make it there eventually. I'm one of those that has to play things in order... most of the time.

Hope things are chill in brooklyn. Lived there for some years, miss it now and again.