GBS 8200/8220 CFW Project

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
ElBartoME

Re: GBS 8200/8220 CFW Project

Post by ElBartoME »

I received my GBS 8220 some days ago and tried to install the ESP8266 with gbs-control. It worked perfectly for some time but now it loses the input signal all the time. After a power cycle it sometimes works for 30 seconds and then drops the signal again.

What am I doing wrong? I connected the debug pin and I2C signals. I also bridged the jumper and installed the 100 Ohm between S and GND. But it still drops the signal...

Here is what the output looks like:

Code: Select all

Scanning inputs for sources ...
preferencesv2.txt opened
loading from preset slot 1: /preset_ntsc.1
ADC offset: R:40 G:43 B:42
HTotal Adjust:  7, source Hz: 59.938, output Hz: 59.947

preset applied: 1280x720 (custom) for NTSC 60Hz 

.*****
no signal
h:   0 v:   0 PLL:0 A:000000 S:00.00.10      I:00 D:0000 m:0 ht:1023 vt:   0 hpw:   0 u: 96 s: 0 S:13 W:-60
no signal
h:   8 v: 772 PLL:0 A:080808 S:08.08.08   V- I:08 D:4608 m:0 ht:   8 vt:   8 hpw:   8 u:384 s: 0 S:13 W:-59

<reset>
slayrval

Post by slayrval »

ElBartoME wrote:I received my GBS 8220 some days ago and tried to install the ESP8266 with gbs-control. It worked perfectly for some time but now it loses the input signal all the time. After a power cycle it sometimes works for 30 seconds and then drops the signal again.

What am I doing wrong? I connected the debug pin and I2C signals. I also bridged the jumper and installed the 100 Ohm between S and GND. But it still drops the signal...

Here is what the output looks like:

Code: Select all

preferencesv2.txt opened
loading from preset slot 1: /preset_ntsc.1
ADC offset: R:40 G:43 B:42
HTotal Adjust:  7, source Hz: 59.938, output Hz: 59.947

preset applied: 1280x720 (custom) for NTSC 60Hz 

.*****
no signal
h:   0 v:   0 PLL:0 A:000000 S:00.00.10      I:00 D:0000 m:0 ht:1023 vt:   0 hpw:   0 u: 96 s: 0 S:13 W:-60
no signal
h:   8 v: 772 PLL:0 A:080808 S:08.08.08   V- I:08 D:4608 m:0 ht:   8 vt:   8 hpw:   8 u:384 s: 0 S:13 W:-59

<reset>
What type of signal are you inputing and outputing from the GBS? I had issues dropping sync when I enabled "Frametime Lock" under preferences. You can also try to reset defaults under the system tab.
ElBartoME

Post by ElBartoME »

slayrval wrote: What type of signal are you inputing and outputing from the GBS? I had issues dropping sync when I enabled "Frametime Lock" under preferences. You can also try to reset defaults under the system tab.
I'm inputting RBGS from a SNES. I removed the Clockgen-Board and resoldered every connection and it worked for an hour so maybe there was a problem with the soldering. But I resoldered it at least 5 times with no luck so I don't know why it was different the last time.
ElBartoME

Post by ElBartoME »

Nevermind...after one day of changing absolutely nothing it stopped working again and won't even recognize the GBS board anymore.

It will just say "gbs board not responding"...
slayrval

Post by slayrval »

ElBartoME wrote:Nevermind...after one day of changing absolutely nothing it stopped working again and won't even recognize the GBS board anymore.

It will just say "gbs board not responding"...
Make sure you have no solder bridges anywhere that is shorting two points. Clean the board up with a toothbrush and some isopropyl give it a good dry. You could try using the component input with another console to see if same issues for troubleshooting. Maybe need a sync stripper for RGBS input? Dont have female RGBS connector otherwise I could test it on mine.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Does your snes have the dejitter mod? Have you tried other consoles?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
soniccd123

Post by soniccd123 »

Hey, i supose that someone has already asked that but as dumb as it sounds, I wasn't able to find how to search this specific topic **facepalm**

Its there a way to change the presets using buttons instead of the wifi connection? Don't take me wrong, the wifi GUI is awesome and i think it is the best for configuring the device, but after that, is quite annoying to needing to always connect to it to change presets. I have multiple consoles wired to the GBS and would be nice if i could change the preset using the press of a button.

Has somebody done something like that? Maybe using the ESP8266 GPIO or even the board buttons

Thanks!
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

^nope

ElBartoME

Post by ElBartoME »

NoAffinity wrote:Does your snes have the dejitter mod? Have you tried other consoles?

I have tried other consoles. But as I said the GBS board does not respond at all anymore. I'm gonna re-re-recheck the solder connections and clean the board.
slayrval

Post by slayrval »

ElBartoME wrote:
NoAffinity wrote:Does your snes have the dejitter mod? Have you tried other consoles?

I have tried other consoles. But as I said the GBS board does not respond at all anymore. I'm gonna re-re-recheck the solder connections and clean the board.
Make sure you are soldered to the right pins on the ESP8266 module. You can also use a voltmeter to check continuity between the points make sure its making solid connection. Could possible be a faulty ESP8266 module, have you tried reflashing gbs-control software onto the ESP8266? Make sure your jumper connector on GBS board is shorting the to pins with continuity check on underside of board.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

There is also the matter of "nothing lasts forever". I've had one gbs fail completely after a couple years of operation. I've had another that simply would not work properly when set to the 1080p profile. It would start up, produce video, but would lose connection with the esp at some random point, varying between a few seconds to a few minutes of being powered on. From that point forward it would continue producing video fine but would no longer be controllable. Every other profile worked fine. Troubleshot that one extensively, never did find a solution. Ended up replacing it and reusing the esp and clock gen board.

ElBartoME

Post by ElBartoME »

Yes I'm pretty sure my board is faulty. I rechecked and resoldered everything and it worked for some time again. Then after a while the picture got completely scrambled and green and it stopped working again. I'm gonna get me a GBS 8200 this time and try again...

Thanks for all the input!

Edit: I also reflashed the ESP several times but no change.
Last edited by ElBartoME on Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
SuperSpongo

Post by SuperSpongo »

This is so frustrating.
My first modded board also didn't behave correctly. It will work for a while, then appearantly loses the output sync (the debug information of the ESP shows no error).
After power cycling, it usually works again and then works for hours (haven't tested if it maybe loses sync at some point again, say, in an overnight test). I've done quite a bit of troubleshooting as well, but came to the conclusion that something on the board itself must be faulty.
ILAH

Post by ILAH »

Is it possible to check the firmware revision with the UI?
How does the OTA Update function work?

Best regards ILAH
Jon Nielsen

Post by Jon Nielsen »

soniccd123 wrote:Hey, i supose that someone has already asked that but as dumb as it sounds, I wasn't able to find how to search this specific topic **facepalm**

Its there a way to change the presets using buttons instead of the wifi connection? Don't take me wrong, the wifi GUI is awesome and i think it is the best for configuring the device, but after that, is quite annoying to needing to always connect to it to change presets. I have multiple consoles wired to the GBS and would be nice if i could change the preset using the press of a button.

Has somebody done something like that? Maybe using the ESP8266 GPIO or even the board buttons

Thanks!
This isn't answering your question, but I had the same thing in mind after setting it up. I ended up using the interface via my smart phone. The UI design looks like it was intended for mobile devices. But I don't know if you're talking about a use case for when WiFi module is turned off for some reason.
slayrval

Post by slayrval »

Is anyone able to use a PS2 connected to the GBS and still access the web server controls after switching to 1080p? My wifi immediately drops but only on 1080p resolution. If I disconnect the PS2 green component cable it immediately restores. I can run other consoles at 1080p and wifi wont drop.

Side note the Startech VGA to HDMI adapter looks basically identical to the cheap ebay one. I did notice if I restart with auto gain adjust toggle turned off and then turn it on after booting it makes all the colors and blacks pop better. Going to do some side by side comparisons into my capture card of the OSSC vs GBS to see how different colors and clarity is. I am really impressed with the GBS though TBH
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

I dont have any problems at any resolution profile with any inputs, with my current 2 gbs' (1x 8200 and 1x 8220). But as I mentioned a couple posts up, I had one gbs that I eventually trashed that would fail once set to 1080p, regardless of source. It would continue producing video at 1080p but the blue light on the esp would go off and it would no longer be controllable via web ui. No problems with any other profile on that unit, and I eventually swapped the esp and clock gen to another gbs and it all worked fine.

The gain adjust at startup may be misleading. The gbs always starts at relatively low gain settings, sampling and adjusting over the first few minutes of operation. If you're doing this right after startup, toggling it on/off will cause the gain setting to increase significantly. It will then continue on its routine of sampling and adjusting. It's the same basic result as if you hadn't toggled it on/off and just let it auto adjust over the course of a couple minutes.

RoboArmy

Post by RoboArmy »

Anyone recording video off of the GBS? I'm experimenting with a cheap HDMI USB capture "card" and while the image is fine what ruins it is the vga/hdmi converter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-B4AceCQLg

Image becomes noisier through the HDMI converter, while its very sharp on my screen (save for cable/sync interference since my console and cables are not optimal yet). I'm wondering what kind of setup people are running and how well they're working.
Ryoandr

Post by Ryoandr »

I've been using the HDMI version to an Avermedia game capture HD 2 (since it has analog sound in) and it works great (sends limited range HDMI tho, so needs to be adjusted)

I've also briefly tried regular GBS with VGA-HDMI and it also worked great, I think it was also limited range.

Given how your colors are muted, I think you're recording on full range and your converter outputs limited range.
Be sure to enable autogain in GBS too.
slayrval

Post by slayrval »

NoAffinity wrote:I dont have any problems at any resolution profile with any inputs, with my current 2 gbs' (1x 8200 and 1x 8220). But as I mentioned a couple posts up, I had one gbs that I eventually trashed that would fail once set to 1080p, regardless of source. It would continue producing video at 1080p but the blue light on the esp would go off and it would no longer be controllable via web ui. No problems with any other profile on that unit, and I eventually swapped the esp and clock gen to another gbs and it all worked fine.

The gain adjust at startup may be misleading. The gbs always starts at relatively low gain settings, sampling and adjusting over the first few minutes of operation. If you're doing this right after startup, toggling it on/off will cause the gain setting to increase significantly. It will then continue on its routine of sampling and adjusting. It's the same basic result as if you hadn't toggled it on/off and just let it auto adjust over the course of a couple minutes.

Oh interesting I had no idea that it would auto adjust over time...guess that's why the screen tearing goes away after a few minutes. (I have no clock gen board installed yet)
Jon Nielsen

Post by Jon Nielsen »

RoboArmy wrote:Anyone recording video off of the GBS? I'm experimenting with a cheap HDMI USB capture "card" and while the image is fine what ruins it is the vga/hdmi converter.

Image becomes noisier through the HDMI converter, while its very sharp on my screen (save for cable/sync interference since my console and cables are not optimal yet). I'm wondering what kind of setup people are running and how well they're working.
I believe this sort of noise comes down to filtering. As I ordered a bunch of cheap converter options off AliExpress I've had a chance to experiment with them all before dropping the idea of having "HDMI output" on my GBS. Now I'm just really happy with the filtering applied by OSSC or Edge on the 720p and 480p output options with GBS. So my idea of optimal is to run it through one of my existing solutions for digitising.
Solidzera

Post by Solidzera »

How do I get 640x480 output? On the 720x480 mode I get black borders on left and right sides of the image on my pc CRT monitor using VGA. I am using mainly for PS2 and Wii consoles.
slayrval

Post by slayrval »

Ok here is a comparison picture of the GBS 8200 Vs OSSC. The OSSC clearly has been colors, black levels, clarity, and less image noise. However GBS still is great value and for 480i consoles I would rather have motion adaptive deinterlacing. I cant wait for the OSSC pro to come out with dual HDMI out, toslink audio, and motion adaptive deinterlace (I think it will have this right?).

Anyway here is a picture of Zelda A link to the past running on OG xbox https://imgur.com/gallery/Ca5wN2l
EmKIronFist

Post by EmKIronFist »

soniccd123 wrote:Hey, i supose that someone has already asked that but as dumb as it sounds, I wasn't able to find how to search this specific topic **facepalm**

Thanks!
Implementing it in the software would technically be possible but no one has done it yet. I would personally love to be able to run some wires to GPIO pins from the board buttons and have the first 4 preset slots on 'em. But whatevs.

If you haven't already, I strongly recommend connecting your GBSC to your home wifi, it runs with a bit more connection stability and is a bit less of a hassle to access that way.
rama

Post by rama »

Small problem is that the ESP8266 is pin starved. If we wanted push buttons, those should go on a GPIO extender.
EmKIronFist

Post by EmKIronFist »

RoboArmy wrote:Anyone recording video off of the GBS? I'm experimenting with a cheap HDMI USB capture "card" and while the image is fine what ruins it is the vga/hdmi converter.

I actually went with NoAffinity's recommendation in a previous post and started using a Monoprice VGA-to-HDMI box instead of the cheapo dongle I initially had. Made a *huge* difference in quality, especially when running 480p or doing 480p passthrough. The Qgeem converter I was using before was a little soft and had horrible diagonal wave noise that got worse at lower resolutions while the monoprice converter is razor sharp and doesn't seem to add any noise whatsoever.

Current ebay prices are something like $17-$25 USD with shipping included. I strongly recommend getting one, they're well worth the price in my opinion.
slayrval

Post by slayrval »

EmKIronFist wrote:

I actually went with NoAffinity's recommendation in a previous post and started using a Monoprice VGA-to-HDMI box instead of the cheapo dongle I initially had. Made a *huge* difference in quality, especially when running 480p or doing 480p passthrough. The Qgeem converter I was using before was a little soft and had horrible diagonal wave noise that got worse at lower resolutions while the monoprice converter is razor sharp and doesn't seem to add any noise whatsoever.

Current ebay prices are something like $17-$25 USD with shipping included. I strongly recommend getting one, they're well worth the price in my opinion.
Interesting I am going to give this a try I noticed 720p from the xbox a little soft and that wavy noise you describe no matter the power supply bypass capacitor mods I have done or the metal tape on bottom of board memory traces. I tried the startech vgatohdmi converter hoping it would be couldnt tell much a difference over the cheapo one. Hopefully the monoprice vga to hdmi box will be better. Did you use a shielded VGA cable to connect to box or just a regular old PC VGA monitor cable?
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

I personally always make sure the vga cables have ferrite cores on both ends. I've had a couple cables without the ferrites and they produced ringing. Going back through my amazon purchases, I see I bought a 1.5ft monoprice vga cable, and more recently bought one of these 3 footers: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I1C288A?re ... b_ap_share

kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHMWCP7lTLV ... wodv8dh00w

I spent a good amount of time putting together a nice lil’ enclosure for my unit, and when I finally went to go put the GBS back to use I got nada for a signal. Opened the enclosure back up and noticed that the blue LED on the WiFi board is no longer lighting up (red power LED is, though) - this LED is the indicator for a internet connection, right? I’m not completely sure, as my monitor wasn’t reacting at all to indicate it had been fed a signal. Any ideas? It’s taken a tumble in the past, but continued to work perfectly fine / there doesn’t appear to be anything damaged or disconnected on the GBS
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

The blue led seems to correlate to getting a good source signal. Although (mentioned above) i had a faulty board that would have the blue led go off and simultaneously stop transmitting wifi but would otherwise continue operating normally.