The official Bullet Heaven Megathread [Lock Plz]

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
StudioMudprints

The official Bullet Heaven Megathread [Lock Plz]

Post by StudioMudprints »

X
Last edited by StudioMudprints on Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:05 pm, edited 11 times in total.
StudioMudprints

Re: Bullet Heaven Quick Links

X
Last edited by StudioMudprints on Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
clippa

Re: The official Bullet Heaven Megathread

Post by clippa »

Great to have you back, man! :D
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

Love the series! Glad to see you guys here. Do you think you'll cover the new ESP Ra De Psi release in Season 12?
StudioMudprints

X
Last edited by StudioMudprints on Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
miwa

Post by miwa »

Big fan of the show, thank you for putting in so much work!
FRO

Post by FRO »

Glad to see SMP/BH back in action! Looking forward to more reviews, as always.
Acid

Post by Acid »

Studio Mudprints - Awesome. Your reviews are top notch. You are very knowledgeable and professional. I frequently watch random reviews strictly for entertainment purposes, and I know if a game gets a good score from you that it's worth playing (assuming it's a style of shooter I like). I'm even looking forward to your Ginga Force review even though I've already played the hell out of it. Keep up the great work.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

I watch 1 or 2 of these every day.

Everything about these are great, its exactly the way a shmup review show should be.

You also don't talk all over the whole thing and let it breathe a bit, really its A+ narration.

Love the production values and music too.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

I've watched a ton of these vids, you've covered so much stuff by now that almost any time I want to look something up, you've done a video on it.

Random feedback:

I personally tend to find your videos at around 10 mins easier to stick with to the end than the longer ones, unless there's a reason a topic really requires a deep dive. Generally, I've gotten the info I'm looking for before things hit the 20 minute mark.

I'm not sure that length is a must as a reviewable category in this genre, though I do appreciate that you understand what that actually means here. But I kind of feel less is more in shmup length, and more often than not the amount of time you're likely to spend with one is more of an end product of difficulty + scoring depth than much to do with the amount of digital real estate or structured tasks in the game, as with other genres.

Also, what are you doing your music on? Are you mixing & mastering it yourself? You're getting a really clean mix out of it.
Augemitbutter

Post by Augemitbutter »

you really deserve more views.
StudioMudprints

X
Last edited by StudioMudprints on Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Hardcore Mecha is a shmup, right?
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

Will there ever be another scramble? (obviously not during Covid.)
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
StudioMudprints

X
A Skeleton

Post by A Skeleton »

I've caught a few of your videos. Good, informative stuff.
My second video on Steam Shmups
https://youtu.be/SHYu_ETEmJE
Bawa

Post by Bawa »

Oh! Really nice to see you around here!
Really love this series. Great content with great presentation!
I suck at these games but I do enjoy them.
Platforms: PC / NSwitch
StudioMudprints

X
porchka66

Post by porchka66 »

I love your Videos! I also really dig the alternative Soundtrack you did for Ghostblade HD!
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

StudioMudprints wrote:
xxx1993 wrote:Hardcore Mecha is a shmup, right?
No, it's a run-n-gun/brawler with some awesome shmups sequences in it. Still a worthy title to cover though.
Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:Will there ever be another scramble? (obviously not during Covid.)
The era of Scramble is long over, unfortunately. The venue we used is also long-gone :(
Don't get why people don't approve of run and guns as shmups...
StudioMudprints

X
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

And I saw you cover a bit of Sin and Punishment: Star Successor. That’s a rail shooter too, like Star Fox and Night Striker. Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair also feels like the black sheep of the Wonder Boy franchise. Because while the series is platforming, that is shooting. Looks like a run and gun game in the style of Contra, but cuter.
StudioMudprints

xxx1993 wrote:Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair also feels like the black sheep of the Wonder Boy franchise. Because while the series is platforming, that is shooting. Looks like a run and gun game in the style of Contra, but cuter.
And with a shmup phase in the last half of every stage to boot.
porchka66 wrote:I love your Videos! I also really dig the alternative Soundtrack you did for Ghostblade HD!
Thanks. I don't think much about Ghost Blade HD anymore. I'm not really proud of that work. A new indie shooter may or may not be coming up with my work in it. Some of my best.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

If you're looking for something that's purposefully styled to resemble a shmup, but is technically a run 'n gun, might I recommend the very high quality REDPULSE?

It's a highly competent "pay what you like" indie release that got shilled here by the dev and I fell in love with it immediately. The enemy attacks are slow, danmaku-styled attacks, but it's a run 'n gun with a super floaty jump, a small size hitbox in the center of your sprite, a quick-drop mechanic, special attacks that also function as defense, and a Mega Man X/Vanquish-style dash that encourages you to speed through stages. There's a scoring multiplier from chaining enemy kills together as rapidly as possible so it's a game that encourages speedrunning for score, without punishing newer players who want to play it while advancing more conservatively at a slower pace.
StudioMudprints

X
Last edited by StudioMudprints on Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StudioMudprints

X
Last edited by StudioMudprints on Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StudioMudprints

It was brought to my attention that my latest post was borked. I think I have it fixed now.
A Skeleton

Post by A Skeleton »

That thing gives me flash backs of the screen addon for PS1.

My second video on Steam Shmups
https://youtu.be/SHYu_ETEmJE
StudioMudprints

X
Acid

Post by Acid »

I'm glad you enjoyed Ginga Force. Not enough people are playing it on the PS4. I know Rising Force Games have been trying to get people to review it. I've watched some other's reviews and they just play a few levels without knowing what they're doing then give the game a negative review. The game is really fun so I hope your review brings in more players. Bonus: I spotted my PSN in your video.