Analogue DAC + RGB SCART issue :/

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
hemipode

Analogue DAC + RGB SCART issue :/

Post by hemipode »

Hello,

Ordered the DAC a couple of months ago, but didn't have a cable with SCART until now that Retro Gaming Cables in the UK had them shipped.

Been trying all day to get the DAC to work with the Super Nt and the Mega SG. It just doesn't work properly no matter what I do.

The picture keeps rolling and flickering violently across the screen on my B&O MX4000 and Sony KX-14CP1no matter the configuration, it simply won't get a stable clear image.

Oddly enough, Super Nt displays (sort of) a stable image when set to default option "Synch on Composite", albeit with a good amount of flickering across the screen,
which makes it unplayable anyways. Included a video here.. https://vimeo.com/443501068

Maybe I overlooked something crucial? Anyone else here who encountered anything similar?

Both my sets work fine with other consoles via RGB SCART.
hemipode

Re: Analogue DAC + RGB SCART issue :/

Post by hemipode »

Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

NOW I know what that cable was that RGC just sent me.....

This is likely a bad cable. Might be bad ground connection or something.

Doesn't the A.DAC support composite video output as well? If so, it would send composite video to the same pin used for RGB sync, so your B&O should be able to display it through the Scart connection. Give it a try.
hemipode

Post by hemipode »

Fudoh wrote:your B&O should be able to display it through the Scart connection. Give it a try.
Thank you for your reply, Fudoh.
You're absolutely right, there's an overall stabilized image on the B&O, but unfortunately with really distracting flickering.

Looks like this:
https://vimeo.com/443501068

I really do hope it's just the cable, that would be much easier to rectify (resolder? send back?)
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Do you have a continuity tester?

I still think it's bad ground line somewhere. With a continuity tester you could check which pins on the HD15 side are connected to which pins on the scart end. Pinouts are available here: https://support.analogue.co/hc/en-us/ar ... alogue-DAC

Pin 18 on the Scart connector would the main one to check.

If you don't have a continuity tester, just open the scart end and take some photos.

With a simple VGA to YUV breakout adapter (or dongle) you could easily check the DAC itself, since you can grab composite video or YUV from the according RCA connectors.
hemipode

Post by hemipode »

Unfortunately not in possession of any of those things. Will have to look around for those.

Does look like every pin is soldered on there correctly to my eyes.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

You may want to just contact the seller/manufacturer, as this sounds like a warranty issue.
hemipode

Post by hemipode »

Thanks guys, Robert at Retro Gaming Cables said he'll send a new one for free tomorrow.

Fingers crossed it's the cable and not the dac.
supafurrymonkey

Post by supafurrymonkey »

@hemipode

I am having exactly the same issue! I received the exact same cable from retro gaming cables today. Mega SG on my B&O MX4000 has a weird flickering at the top of the screen and Super NT screen just rolls. Did you get this sorted in the end?
Perivalon

Post by Perivalon »

@hemipode:

i have the exact same issue with my MX4000 too! Did you solved this issue with the new cable from Robert?
supafurrymonkey

Post by supafurrymonkey »

@Perivalon, I had improved results by turning the resolution down on the console when attached to a flat panel say 480p, saving settings, then plugging back into the DAC.

I am now having an issue where I have a lot more green in the image than I should have
Perivalon

Post by Perivalon »

Thank you for your reply supafurrymonkey,
sounds like a DAC software issue for me and not a cable issue. I try to contact the analogue support again. Hope they can fix this with a firmware update :(
terranir

Post by terranir »

I have the exact same issue with my B&O MX4002 . SuperNT with dac and cable from Retrogamingcables. The CRT chows a rolling picture as described by others in the thread. There is nothing wrong with the CRT. I have other systems connected to it.

I have contacted Retrogamingcables and Analogue. RGC replied swiftly. No reply from Analogue yet. @perivalon, have you received an answer to from Analogue? @hemipode, did you receive a new cable? If so did it solve the issue?

My MX4002 has chassi sw2.0. I have a newer model with sw4.7 in the basement. I will try connecting to the newer model whenever I have time.
 // Live long and prosper
Perivalon

Post by Perivalon »

@terranir
I have received the following answer from Analogue:

"I have passed a message detailing this issue to our development team. Be sure to follow our firmware updates for a resolution to the problem."

I hope the firmware update will be available soon :)
parodius

Post by parodius »

Hmm. How does one update the firmware on the DAC ?

Got some sync issues myself with the Mega SG (image scrolls continuously up or down on my PVM, depending if I set it to 50 or 60hz), works flawlessly with the Super NT.
My sales thread : 2020/07/20..MASTER.VER.
Perivalon

Post by Perivalon »

It is described in the DAC user manual how to upgrade the firmware:
https://support.analogue.co/hc/en-us/ar ... ser-Guides
parodius

Post by parodius »

Oh yeah I remember reading this part.
It’s more that I couldn’t see any firmware update available on the support page.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I didn't know this thing had come out. I see it uses a HD-15 output. Can one use a HD-15 to component cord, without any quality issues?
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Guspaz wrote:As long as the pinout is correct.

https://support.analogue.co/hc/en-us/ar ... alogue-DAC
Thanks for that. I might be interested in getting this. I was looking at a Star Tech cord, but they don't have those mentioned.

How does this look on a CRT? As good as possible, I'm hoping? Any aspect ratio issues?
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

evil_ash_xero wrote:

Thanks for that. I might be interested in getting this. I was looking at a Star Tech cord, but they don't have those mentioned.
Get the Retro-Access one then, they only have SCART version but you can probably request a BNC version if you need that.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Lawfer wrote:
evil_ash_xero wrote:

Get the Retro-Access one then, they only have SCART version but you can probably request a BNC version if you need that.
I sent them a message. Thanks.

I was curious, is the signal coming out of the DAC 480p? Is that the lowest it can go, as it's the lowest it can go on the consoles?
terranir

Post by terranir »

Perivalon wrote:@terranir
I have received the following answer from Analogue:

"I have passed a message detailing this issue to our development team. Be sure to follow our firmware updates for a resolution to the problem."

I hope the firmware update will be available soon :)

I have received the same answer from Analogue. Patiently waiting for the update :-)
 // Live long and prosper
parodius

Post by parodius »

So there's currently no firmware update available right ?
All DACs are running the firmware they shipped with ?
shroom2k

Post by shroom2k »

evil_ash_xero wrote: I was curious, is the signal coming out of the DAC 480p? Is that the lowest it can go, as it's the lowest it can go on the consoles?
The DAC outputs 240p, exactly the same as on the original consoles, with all the accompanying issues like composite rainbowing on Mega Drive.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

shroom2k wrote:
evil_ash_xero wrote: I was curious, is the signal coming out of the DAC 480p? Is that the lowest it can go, as it's the lowest it can go on the consoles?
The DAC outputs 240p, exactly the same as on the original consoles, with all the accompanying issues like composite rainbowing on Mega Drive.
That's interesting. I ordered one, and I'll check it out. I still haven't gotten a reply from retro access. I might just have to get one of their SCART cables, and use a converter.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

evil_ash_xero wrote:
shroom2k wrote:
That's interesting. I ordered one, and I'll check it out. I still haven't gotten a reply from retro access. I might just have to get one of their SCART cables, and use a converter.

Would something like this do the trick? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0021 ... UTF8&psc=1
strayan

Post by strayan »

For Component and SoG, yes. TV’s with SCART inputs don’t usually accept Component YUV. It might accept SoG though.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

strayan wrote:For Component and SoG, yes. TV’s with SCART inputs don’t usually accept Component YUV. It might accept SoG though.
Ok, thanks. My TV has component input (no SCART). I have to use converters for the SCART stuff.

What is "SoG"?
strayan

Post by strayan »

SoG = RGsB = sync on green (according to Analogue their DAC outputs 3 types of RGB: RGBs, RGBHV and RGsB).