shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum
 
* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:15 am View unanswered posts
View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7605 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 250, 251, 252, 253, 254  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:57 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 15 Dec 2012
Posts: 817
Location: Finland
Jitter is mainly caused by the video ADC when it operates at low sampling rate - its PLL is actually more stable in "high intensity" operation. As for the temperature, OSSC can indeed get relatively hot but not to the point where it should become an issue unless PCB copper thickness is less than usual or the board is driven by a PSU with higher than 5V output.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:48 pm 



Joined: 31 Mar 2016
Posts: 161
marqs wrote:
Jitter is mainly caused by the video ADC when it operates at low sampling rate - its PLL is actually more stable in "high intensity" operation. As for the temperature, OSSC can indeed get relatively hot but not to the point where it should become an issue unless PCB copper thickness is less than usual or the board is driven by a PSU with higher than 5V output.


@marqs - just wondering if you have any further planned firmware updates for the OSSC or are you working exclusively on the OSSC Pro model. I have no issues with my OSSC but I'm just curious. Thanks!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:34 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 16 May 2008
Posts: 1948
Location: Denmark
naz wrote:
5x + custom scanlines is way better than 3x. Here are a few pics I took with my cell (in person it looks better).

Spoiler: show
Image

Image

Image


I wish I could add very faint vertical scanlines, but currently the custom setting for this ONLY works on the lines you leave at 0 strength, not all of them.


What settings are you using there? Based on your images which look really nice I started messing around with my scanlines settings too. I haven't used all black scanlines since ever as I've always felt they made the image far too dark and this would cause eyestrain in a short matter of time.

I ended up with

Output:
960p - for evenly sized scanlines and pixels.

Scanlines:
Hybrid 50&
Multiplication
Custom Scanlines:
Sub-line 1: 100%
Sub-line 2: 0%
Sub-line 3: 0%
Sub-line 4: 100%

Video in proc:
Pre-ADC Gain: 10 - to boost the image brightness to an acceptable level. Is there any other way of doing this? Haven't checked for clipping yet.

And I get the following results which I think look pretty nice:

Saturn (Generic 4:3):
https://i.imgur.com/NPvGow2.jpg

Mega Drive (Optimized 320):
https://i.imgur.com/P0J8kiQ.jpg


Last edited by Konsolkongen on Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:34 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 09 Apr 2014
Posts: 412
Location: UK
marqs wrote:
Jitter is mainly caused by the video ADC when it operates at low sampling rate - its PLL is actually more stable in "high intensity" operation. As for the temperature, OSSC can indeed get relatively hot but not to the point where it should become an issue unless PCB copper thickness is less than usual or the board is driven by a PSU with higher than 5V output.


Thanks for the insight.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:05 am 



Joined: 18 Sep 2014
Posts: 142
CobraKing wrote:
@marqs - just wondering if you have any further planned firmware updates for the OSSC or are you working exclusively on the OSSC Pro model. I have no issues with my OSSC but I'm just curious. Thanks!

The ossc wiki has a roadmap here: http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php?title=OSSC#Firmware_changelog_and_roadmap


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:36 pm 



Joined: 31 Mar 2016
Posts: 161
RocketBelt wrote:
CobraKing wrote:
@marqs - just wondering if you have any further planned firmware updates for the OSSC or are you working exclusively on the OSSC Pro model. I have no issues with my OSSC but I'm just curious. Thanks!

The ossc wiki has a roadmap here: http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php?title=OSSC#Firmware_changelog_and_roadmap


Thanks bud, I'm aware of the Junker Wiki - it's impressive that @marqs nailed most if not all the items on the road map.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:12 am 



Joined: 04 Jul 2010
Posts: 306
Have there been any computer crt's that were purposed for HD and broadcast use during the early 2000's when EDTV and HDTV were becoming a thing?

This would have been a great alternative to lcd/plasma at the time, especially when Hollywood was brute forcing "digital" through the legal books for viewable content.
_________________
I am not an alcoholic, I'm Drunk! Alcoholics go to AA meetings.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:07 pm 



Joined: 07 Oct 2015
Posts: 136
The closest you'll find are high end CRTs designed for graphics arts work (color matching). EDTV = 480p, which any VGA monitor can do. None of them can handle 240p though.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:38 pm 



Joined: 04 Jul 2010
Posts: 306
I goofed by putting this question in the wrong thread, but thank you for answering.

There had been such a narrow market for EDTV sets prior to the broadcast switchover and I saw one type of monitor that was meant to handle far higher resolutions then 1080p, but it was also a 16:9 set hooked up to something that allowed any signal to be adapted to vga. Beyond that the only HDTV sets I ever knew of were those 1080i with mandated HDMI input. Also input lag was introduced thru these besides having it common with lcd's at the time.

I would have loved a 16:9 set that didn't have lag via vga and full 1080p support. Considering that there's many 480p titles out there or games that can be perfect when scaled down to this with widescreen support, the ossc would make a perfect companion to the PS3/360/Wii era.
_________________
I am not an alcoholic, I'm Drunk! Alcoholics go to AA meetings.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:33 am 



Joined: 19 Mar 2017
Posts: 376
headlesshobbs wrote:
Beyond that the only HDTV sets I ever knew of were those 1080i with mandated HDMI input. Also input lag was introduced thru these besides having it common with lcd's at the time.


I don’t think anyone has established these 1080i sets had input lag when fed a 1080i signal

Some have DVI and analogue RGBHV inputs too https://www.usa.philips.com/c-p/34PW9819_99/-


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:35 am 



Joined: 04 Jul 2010
Posts: 306
I wouldn't know what content would be good for 1080i honestly. While doing the native resolutions a tv is programmed to handle will cut down lag on vga sources, the problem is HD-crts still have the scaler to deal with and will induce lag regardless. NeoZeeder had this problem with a tele he picked up and even for 240p-480i content, he was still getting 2-frames on avg. This is exactly why the PC market was superior in this regard, because they were initially free of the whole HD processing BS regulated by Hollywood FCC and could deal with any range of resolutions rather then be stuck at 480/720/1080p. It makes me worry so much because I want to work with a screen that has 16:9 like that one bvm designed to deal with the format, but unfortunately there doesn't appear to be anything else on the consumer side an ossc with odd resolutions would be supported by.

I really do feel quite sad about this because much of my retro back end is in the 480-720 range and a vast majority of those titles are wide screen.
_________________
I am not an alcoholic, I'm Drunk! Alcoholics go to AA meetings.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:55 pm 



Joined: 20 Apr 2018
Posts: 241
Location: St Louis, IL, USA
Guys I just got a G. Darius PCB that I want to test to see if it works. I only have the following accessible right now:

PCB to HAS Super Gun
HAS to OSSC
OSSC to LG C9

So this setup works for all my current PCBs (except for Dogyuun!!!) and if there is sync I get a green light on the OSSC and a picture on the TV. No sync, no green light/no picture.

On this new G. Darius PCB, I get a green light, but the OSSC says no sync and of course I never get past the grey start screen.

Is the PCB bad or do I need to try some settings?

Output to settings don't seem to matter as the OSSC never says it has sync, despite the green light.

OK, so I found this:

http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php?title=OSSC

"Known issues / limitations

interlaced content via AV3 in RGBHV/RGBS mode requires a hack to work (TVP7002 issue).
240p systems/games using even field indicator such as Chrono Cross (PSX) or G Darius (arcade) require a hack to work via AV1/2 (TVP7002 issue). OSSC input must be pre-selected and not changed with such games."

But it doesn't say what the "hack" is to use AV1. I have an adapter for AV3 that I use with my Taito F3 systems, however I don't have it with me at the moment.

If I understand this correctly, my stock OSSC via AV1 will not be able to syn to a Taito FX-1B arcade system?

Here it makes it seem like it will work, so if not, I recommend updating the Wiki for future reference:

http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php?title=FX-1B

OSSC Specific settings

Games running on this PCB use 240p (both odd & even field signal modes) and 480i. To ensure the game works correctly, select the correct input on the OSSC before starting up the game and do not change it during game play.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:38 am 


User avatar

Joined: 19 Jan 2016
Posts: 332
Location: Sweden
XtraSmiley wrote:
But it doesn't say what the "hack" is to use AV1.


My understanding is that the instruction referred to is the actual hack. I.e ”OSSC input must be pre-selected and not changed with such games."

So in plain text, turn on OSSC, select AV1 input, only then turn on the PCB.

If that doesn’t give you sync, I guess a scope of the sync signal would help to troubleshoot further.
_________________
OSSC TV Compatibility report thread


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:05 pm 



Joined: 20 Apr 2018
Posts: 241
Location: St Louis, IL, USA
Harrumph wrote:
XtraSmiley wrote:
But it doesn't say what the "hack" is to use AV1.


My understanding is that the instruction referred to is the actual hack. I.e ”OSSC input must be pre-selected and not changed with such games."

So in plain text, turn on OSSC, select AV1 input, only then turn on the PCB.

If that doesn’t give you sync, I guess a scope of the sync signal would help to troubleshoot further.


Thanks you, I tried that first, but no go.

I wonder if it just needs to be on AV3 like the F3 system. Sadly, I don't have my adapter to test that theory right now.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:07 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 15 Dec 2012
Posts: 817
Location: Finland
XtraSmiley wrote:
Harrumph wrote:
XtraSmiley wrote:
But it doesn't say what the "hack" is to use AV1.


My understanding is that the instruction referred to is the actual hack. I.e ”OSSC input must be pre-selected and not changed with such games."

So in plain text, turn on OSSC, select AV1 input, only then turn on the PCB.

If that doesn’t give you sync, I guess a scope of the sync signal would help to troubleshoot further.


Thanks you, I tried that first, but no go.

I wonder if it just needs to be on AV3 like the F3 system. Sadly, I don't have my adapter to test that theory right now.
If my memory serves right, G.Darius switches a few times between interlace and non-interlace (constant even field indicator), perhaps even during intro / attract mode. When using AV1, OSSC should sync latest when the board changes to interlace, and be able to resync even if it changes back to non-interlace. You should try increasing sync tolerances and H-PLL coast values to see if that helps.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:30 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 15 Dec 2012
Posts: 817
Location: Finland
Firmware 0.87 is out. Nothing major this time aside from revamped OSD:

* New OSD
* Mode preset selection improvements
** Selection made independent of physical input
** 480p preset defined by hsync length in auto mode
** Added 720p_50, 1080i_50 and 1080p_50 presets
* Minor clamp/alc related improvements


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:43 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 09 Apr 2014
Posts: 412
Location: UK
Thank you for the continued support of the OSSC, Marqs.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:17 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 16 May 2008
Posts: 1948
Location: Denmark
Neat!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:39 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 05 Mar 2018
Posts: 1370
Yay!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:44 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Oct 2012
Posts: 578
Location: Germany
Weeee! Thanks as always :-)


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:22 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 12 Aug 2017
Posts: 618
Location: Europistan
Thanks!

I'm still on v0.85 as I'm not quite sure what this ALC/STC business was all about. Somebody motivate me to update to v0.87 by snapping a picture of that new OSD :D


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:14 am 



Joined: 20 Apr 2018
Posts: 241
Location: St Louis, IL, USA
marqs wrote:
If my memory serves right, G.Darius switches a few times between interlace and non-interlace (constant even field indicator), perhaps even during intro / attract mode. When using AV1, OSSC should sync latest when the board changes to interlace, and be able to resync even if it changes back to non-interlace. You should try increasing sync tolerances and H-PLL coast values to see if that helps.


Thanks for the info and the new FW marqs!

Your continued improvements are amazing, all the continued support years later, wow!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:17 am 



Joined: 19 Mar 2017
Posts: 59
The new OSD is really nice, makes navigating the menus far more pleasant. Great work, marqs!

Spoiler: show
Image


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:04 am 


User avatar

Joined: 09 Jun 2017
Posts: 104
Wow, that new menu interface looks much nicer. Now I have to dig out an micro sd card. Dammit! LOL!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:57 am 


User avatar

Joined: 12 Aug 2017
Posts: 618
Location: Europistan
Neat, thanks!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:27 am 



Joined: 01 Mar 2018
Posts: 8
Location: France
Thank you so much for your work marqs ! I will update my ossc tomorrow =D


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:54 pm 



Joined: 31 Mar 2016
Posts: 161
Wow Marqs, that new OSD is amazing! Thank you!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:43 am 


User avatar

Joined: 16 May 2008
Posts: 1948
Location: Denmark
Is it possible to edit the contents of an ossc_profiles_0.86.bin file to make it compatible with the new firmware? Unfortunately the website hasn't been updated for this yet.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:59 am 


User avatar

Joined: 05 Mar 2018
Posts: 1370
Konsolkongen wrote:
Is it possible to edit the contents of an ossc_profiles_0.86.bin file to make it compatible with the new firmware? Unfortunately the website hasn't been updated for this yet.

no, the firmware is bugged or something


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:26 am 



Joined: 18 Sep 2014
Posts: 142
maxtherabbit wrote:
no, the firmware is bugged or something

The firmware is bugged?? Any more details to share about this statement?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7605 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 250, 251, 252, 253, 254  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Agent BSoD, fernan1234, Triple Lei and 14 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Space Pilot 3K template by Jakob Persson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group