PSP Pro - Consolized PSP - 1080p with PS2/PS3 pad support

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Gunstar

PSP Pro - Consolized PSP - 1080p with PS2/PS3 pad support

Post by Gunstar »

From Retro Revolutions

The mod features the following:
-"Basically solder free"
-2000/3000 models ("it could be modded into a 1000 system if you can solder good"
-1080p
-"Fullscreen and original aspect ratio"
-PS2 and (wireless) PS3 pad support
-UMDs
-Component output for the production model (limited run of HDMI versions)
-Greg Collins (Laser Bear Industries) working on the case
-Price and release TBD

Old prototype in action:
Click to go to video

No pics of the final form but it sounds like it's coming along and should be shown soon. I love that this has UMD support which is a nice plus over using a PSP Go.
NormalFish

Re: PSP Pro - Consolized PSP - 1080p with PS2/PS3 pad suppor

Post by NormalFish »

Interesting project. Curious to hear if it has the same image quality issues as the original PSP, which is very difficult to get looking right with the native component out.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

NormalFish wrote:Curious to hear if it has the same image quality issues as the original PSP, which is very difficult to get looking right with the native component out.
What do you mean?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Gunstar wrote:-Component output for the production model (limited run of HDMI versions)
But why? If you were to play these games on a CRT, you could just get a video cable for your PSP and be done with it. Ostensibly, the point of any digital AV mod would be to output digitally, correct? So, why wouldn't all of them do HDMI out by default, and, if you wanted analogue output, use the normal composite or component cables?
Triple Lei

Post by Triple Lei »

I hope whoever I send my PSP to for this mod can also make it read UMDs better. All of my PSPs started giving me trouble right around the time I brought them out of retirement for the newest Infinity firmware.

Anyway, I think there is a place for this, even in the age Vita CFW and the Sharpscale mod:
  • PSTV is expensive again
  • There's the slightest amount of lag with Adrenaline no matter what you do
  • PSPgo charging dock is stupid expensive
  • PSPgo won't warn you when your SixAxis/DualShock 3 will run out of battery
  • PS2 pad support means PS2 arcade stick support (for the same on PSTV you'd need some adapter, possibly introducing even more lag, unless you find an Axisdapter and build a stick from that)
  • PSP backwards compatibility on PSTV is very, very good, but not perfect; WipEout Pure Euro DLC, which very rarely if ever crashed the game for me on PSP, always did on PSTV
  • Solves the "dead battery" PSP problem by having the PSP "docked" and plugged in all the time, no battery necessary
I think one big thing the PSTV has over the PSP is that PSTV runs the official, heavily compressed PSP EBOOTs like they were uncompressed ISOs overlocked at 333 MHz. The PSP itself wasn't powerful enough to run its own PSN-purchased games at the full framerate even if you were overclocking your PSP; you'd have to decrypt your own legally bought EBOOT and turn it into an ISO. For WipEout Pulse, this was the difference between 30 FPS and 60 FPS.

Another plus for the PSTV is storage; Memory Stick Pro Duos are still expensive, and anything over 16 GB felt laggy to me, and there are plenty of fake memory sticks... but I'm finding that non-fake 16 GB Pro Duos are still the best. There are those PhotoFast adapters for dual micro SD cards, but I know from experience that putting your entire library will really slow the XMB down; expect 10+ seconds of waiting before you can even begin browsing your titles. And the adapters themselves will physically break if you ever try to take them out because they're just so flimsy. On the PSTV side, I haven't had any problems with SD2Vita adapters and the option for hard drives is there too. So I think some sort of hard drive solution for the PSP Pro would be really cool here.

HDMI really needs to be standard, though...
juji82

Post by juji82 »

definitely in for the hdmi version.
jd213

Post by jd213 »

Been wanting a consolized PSP for years (or at least an easier way to play on a TV with an arcade stick and no lag). Hoping HDMI isn't too expensive and can do a good job scaling the PSP's 480x272 resolution. Can't wait to see how this turns out.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

I feel like I ask this every time, but what are they hiding in the pic with the red bars? I understand maybe part numbers on the chips, but why the bars on the posts?
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

nmalinoski wrote:
Gunstar wrote:-Component output for the production model (limited run of HDMI versions)
But why? If you were to play these games on a CRT, you could just get a video cable for your PSP and be done with it. Ostensibly, the point of any digital AV mod would be to output digitally, correct? So, why wouldn't all of them do HDMI out by default, and, if you wanted analogue output, use the normal composite or component cables?
Hmm I don't think it's tapping any digital signal? I've not heard of this dragon board before.
Not sure what's happening with the tink parts here either (line doubled then ADC'd?) but if you've got an existing scaler it sounds like it might not be worth ponying up for the HDMI version.

@Triple Lei - Thanks for all that info!
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

They have a Patreon here if anyone wants to support them.
The HDMI board:
It seems only 50-100 HDMI versions wil be made. FPGA HDMI down the line. PS3 bluetooth support is an add-on board.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

I would like to see a 4x integer scale to 1080p (with the top and bottom lines cut), and possibly a 1088p mode with no cut off as well as some of the LGs might be able to handle that. It could look absolutely amazing :)
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Gunstar wrote:Hmm I don't think it's tapping any digital signal? I've not heard of this dragon board before.
Granted, I don't know too much about the internals of the PSP, but I would think it's a safe assumption that the connection to the LCD is digital, not analogue, and therefore there would be digital signals to tap; which would explain why it was said that it would be possible to install in a 1000-series model, which does not have any analogue video output.
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

nmalinoski wrote:
Gunstar wrote:Hmm I don't think it's tapping any digital signal? I've not heard of this dragon board before.
Granted, I don't know too much about the internals of the PSP, but I would think it's a safe assumption that the connection to the LCD is digital, not analogue, and therefore there would be digital signals to tap; which would explain why it was said that it would be possible to install in a 1000-series model, which does not have any analogue video output.
That's a good point about the 1000s, so it could mean there's a DAC for component output on the base mod board? (or 1000s would have to be HDMI only) I assumed he's using the 2000/3000s internal DAC and scaling post digital conversion but I really don't know how this thing works.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

I watched the video, I know it's from a prototype, but the output is still windowboxed (black bars on all sides) just like in a regular PSP?

For PSP I a PSPgo with a a dock paired with a Dualshock 3 with an OSSC 1.6 + Extron DSC 301 HD +, so I get a 1920x1088 output, will this thing offer any advantage over that? The only things I can think of is that mode let's you use a PSP that reads UMD and 1080p out of the box.
NormalFish

Post by NormalFish »

Lawfer wrote:
NormalFish wrote:Curious to hear if it has the same image quality issues as the original PSP, which is very difficult to get looking right with the native component out.
What do you mean?
Exactly what I said, the PSP's native video out is soft.

Sounds like it might not resolve it, but I don't have a good sense of what causes it so we'll see, I suppose.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

NormalFish wrote:the PSP's native video out is soft.
The PSP resolution is actually 480x272, on PSP with video output you get a 480x272 active picture windowboxed into a 720x480 output and most likely being output on an HDTV that has a native resolution of 1080p or more, already 720x480 isn't going to look very sharp on a modern display with a native resolution of 1080p or more.
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

Lawfer wrote:I watched the video, I know it's from a prototype, but the output is still windowboxed (black bars on all sides) just like in a regular PSP?

For PSP I a PSPgo with a a dock paired with a Dualshock 3 with an OSSC 1.6 + Extron DSC 301 HD +, so I get a 1920x1088 output, will this thing offer any advantage over that? The only things I can think of is that mode let's you use a PSP that reads UMD and 1080p out of the box.
Yeah, that's right, the video didn't show the fullscreen mode in action. He did mention there will be another update on this soon so hopefully it's shown off there.

That's a solid setup. There's a chance video quality might be a bit crisper depending on how it's handled, assuming what MLIG says about PSX output from a PSP also applies to native PSP games output to a TV there's room for some improvement (MLIG has found there's some softness and additional dithering on PSX games output via a PSP). The PS2 controller socket is going to be great for arcade stick use too as Triple Lei mentioned (it would be cool if this could be offered as a separate, cheaper mod). It does seem like a tough decision to get this if you've already got the equipment to make the best of the stock PSP output like you have.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Gunstar wrote:That's a solid setup. There's a chance video quality might be a bit crisper depending on how it's handled, assuming what MLIG says about PSX output from a PSP also applies to native PSP games output to a TV there's room for some improvement (MLIG has found there's some softness and additional dithering on PSX games output via a PSP).
The dithering on some PSP games is well known, the biggest example is Ys Seven, which I noticed when I first played this game back in 2012 or 2013 which is extemely apparent, I also noticed some rather bad color banding on certain games as well (Black Rock Shooter: The Game), however this is all on stock resolution (PSPgo directly hooked on display through component), wth OSSC+301 HD resolution upped from 480x272 to 960x544 to 1920x1088 seem to gets rid of this.
NormalFish

Post by NormalFish »

Lawfer wrote:
The PSP resolution is actually 480x272, on PSP with video output you get a 480x272 active picture windowboxed into a 720x480 output and most likely being output on an HDTV that has a native resolution of 1080p or more, already 720x480 isn't going to look very sharp on a modern display with a native resolution of 1080p or more.
It's soft even with pixel perfect capture with ideal sampling. It's just soft. I don't know what else to tell you.
jandrogo

Post by jandrogo »

What are the exclusive PSP games that would be enjoyable played in a bigger screen?

-Goku Makaimura.. what else? I don't know it's catalogue
Working in the japanese language achievement
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

I really like the PSP library, in my opinion it offers many more and far better games than the Vita. At least if you're into JRPGs of which there are plenty. I also really like the Metal Gear Ac!d series (especially 2).

After reading this thread I started messing around with PSP (Adrenaline) on my Vita TV. With the Sharpscale plugin (google it) and a TV with proper zoom functions it really does look amazing. It can also do scanlines and grids if that's your thing.

While that seems to work perfectly fine I for one don't get as much enjoyment out of playing ISOs off a USB stick as I would playing my original UMDs, so this mod is really interesting to me. Though the limited quantity of HDMI capable mods is a turnoff.

I was thinking that there might be another solution. Maybe it would be possible to connect a real PSP 2000/3000 via USB to the Vita TV, and have the PSP function as an external UMD drive so you could run your original game discs from that using Adrenaline on the Vita TV. Of course this would require tweaks to softmods on both machines, and maybe the USB connection wouldn't be fast enough. But that would be kewl as hell I think :)
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Konsolkongen wrote:I was thinking that there might be another solution. Maybe it would be possible to connect a real PSP 2000/3000 via USB to the Vita TV, and have the PSP function as an external UMD drive so you could run your original game discs from that using Adrenaline on the Vita TV. Of course this would require tweaks to softmods on both machines, and maybe the USB connection wouldn't be fast enough. But that would be kewl as hell I think :)
I think, if this is going to be a thing, it would be best implemented as a simple installation, kind of like how PS4 and Xbox One games get installed to internal storage.

The PSP would obviously need some level of CFW to be able to expose the UMD as an ISO over USB mass storage, and then the Vita or Vita TV/PSTV would need to be able to recognize that 1) USB mass storage is connected (possibly also that it's a PSP) and 2) that that storage device contains a UMD ISO; then it could start copying (optionally compressing to CSO, if that's supported) the UMD ISO to its internal storage where it needs to go.

I'm also not sure if the USB connection would be fast enough to stream, but I think it's also folly to think that these UMD drives have an infinite lifespan; would be better to be able to use them to archive what games you own so they last as long as possible.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

nmalinoski wrote: I think, if this is going to be a thing, it would be best implemented as a simple installation, kind of like how PS4 and Xbox One games get installed to internal storage.

The PSP would obviously need some level of CFW to be able to expose the UMD as an ISO over USB mass storage, and then the Vita or Vita TV/PSTV would need to be able to recognize that 1) USB mass storage is connected (possibly also that it's a PSP) and 2) that that storage device contains a UMD ISO; then it could start copying (optionally compressing to CSO, if that's supported) the UMD ISO to its internal storage where it needs to go.

I'm also not sure if the USB connection would be fast enough to stream, but I think it's also folly to think that these UMD drives have an infinite lifespan; would be better to be able to use them to archive what games you own so they last as long as possible.
I appreciate your thoughts on the matter. Running ISOs from USB on the Vita TV is already possible, you can use a USB flashdrive as a Vita memory card with a little work.

You're right the drives probably won't last forever but I don't expect mine to stop working anytime soon, and even when they do it shouldn't be too hard to find replacement parts from other systems. It's no different than any other disc-based consoles and that has never been a problem for me.

I think you're right that installing the games would most likely be an easier solution, but it would be nicer and hopefully simpler (for the user) to be able to run the games off the discs if at all possible. Although that would be my preferred option, I don't think your suggestion is too bad either :)
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Konsolkongen wrote:I appreciate your thoughts on the matter. Running ISOs from USB on the Vita TV is already possible, you can use a USB flashdrive as a Vita memory card with a little work.
I think you're right that installing the games would most likely be an easier solution, but it would be nicer and hopefully simpler (for the user) to be able to run the games off the discs if at all possible. Although that would be my preferred option, I don't think your suggestion is too bad either :)
If the Vita TV can already read ISOs from the root of a flash drive, then it might already be possible to play from the UMD by connecting a PSP with CFW and setting the USB mode to whichever one exposes the UMD as an ISO over USB. I have the requisite PSP and games, but not a Vita TV/PSTV, so I can't test/verify this myself.
Konsolkongen wrote:You're right the drives probably won't last forever but I don't expect mine to stop working anytime soon, and even when they do it shouldn't be too hard to find replacement parts from other systems. It's no different than any other disc-based consoles and that has never been a problem for me.
The thing I don't like about this is that we can no longer buy these systems new to have a guaranteed baseline of functionality. Buying used is a lottery I personally don't want to deal with--you're never going to know precisely how well or badly a given system was treated; it may "work", according to the seller, but may be on its last legs, and it may not be long before you'll need to buy another, or another. That prospect put me off spending a bunch of money trying to find a replacement GD-ROM module for my Dreamcast and pushed me to an ODE.
jd213

Post by jd213 »

Haven't been following this much, so I took a look at Retro Revolution's Twitter, and apparently he announced the PSP Pro as being "done" back in Feb, but I didn't see any announcement of them going up for sale, just some photos of a few custom ones he's done. I guess they're still being hand made and not ready for mass production.

He also seems to be working on consolizer mods for Wonderswan Color, Neo Geo Pocket, and DS. But I assume those won't be available for purchase anytime soon.

Tried to see if my soldering was good enough to padhack a PSP 3000 as in this Japanese blog:
http://ossan036.blog24.fc2.com/blog-entry-411.html
But I gave up partway through, had to look through a powerful magnifying glass just to see what I was doing, but I still kept melting the plastic of the ribbon cable connectors and making a mess, plus I had to be extra careful not to make any shorts, so it was taking too much time and was too stressful (thankfully all the buttons on the PSP still work). Could probably get it done eventually but I guess there's not that many PSP games I really want to play with an arcade stick.

I guess custom ribbon cables would make it easier, but there are probably too many PSP revisions to make it worthwhile. Even the PSP 3000 I was hacking seems to have at least one ribbon cable connector that's different from the above blog.
NewSchoolBoxer

Post by NewSchoolBoxer »

I thought there were two HDMI options already. Is this a third or an upgrade of an existing one? I support freedom of choice but I think - and I want to be proven wrong - that all PSP HDMI attempts on non-1000 models are for-profit hustles. This + your stock PSP going to cost less than PSTV?

I bought a Japanese PSP 3000 last year from US eBay for $50. Took 10 seconds to change default language to English. Official Component cable for $13.80 because I like official crap.
Lawfer wrote:
Right, unless you mathmagically change the video processor's native resolution, PSP is soft from the get go. I don't understand how YCbCr with chroma subsampling over HDMI is going to look better than uncompressed YPbPr at 720x480p. Unless you digitally enhance the HDMI in a demo video or run the PSP near an electric motor.

I have CRT to use and $50 40" 2010 LCD TV that takes analog inputs + HDMI. Several affordable HDMI upscaler options that aren't locked to a single console.
Triple Lei wrote:
  • Solves the "dead battery" PSP problem by having the PSP "docked" and plugged in all the time, no battery necessary
I think one big thing the PSTV has over the PSP is that PSTV runs the official, heavily compressed PSP EBOOTs like they were uncompressed ISOs overlocked at 333 MHz. The PSP itself wasn't powerful enough to run its own PSN-purchased games at the full framerate even if you were overclocking your PSP; you'd have to decrypt your own legally bought EBOOT and turn it into an ISO. For WipEout Pulse, this was the difference between 30 FPS and 60 FPS.

Another plus for the PSTV is storage; Memory Stick Pro Duos are still expensive, and anything over 16 GB felt laggy to me, and there are plenty of fake memory sticks... but I'm finding that non-fake 16 GB Pro Duos are still the best...
PSP battery explosion if you keep it inserted for years is issue. Happened to my 1000. My 3000 takes common 4.0x1.7mm power jack. I bought $16 Variable AC/DC Adapter that lets me power PSP over Type C, Micro-USB or regular AC outlet. Portable phone charger option is nice but I realize modding battery slot is the ideal.

Thanks, I didn't know about EBOOT - ISO - PSTV situation and how it overclocks. I own most games I want to play but that is a valid limitation for someone who wants to have it all and in one place.

I bought Memory Stick PRO Duo adapter for $2.87 that I use with 16 GB SanDisk. That's interesting you say over 16 GB is laggy. What I would guess happens when > 16 GB isn't natively supported by PSP due to FAT16 limit.
Rulumi

Post by Rulumi »

If one already has a PS (Vita) TV I think it's already a great option, you can use DS3 or DS4, you can play any game that you dumped from an original PSP and can even use the XMB if that's your thing. Compatibility is very very high too as it's sort of a hardware solution for PSP games on the Vita.
With sharpscale the PS (Vita) TV looks great:
Spoiler