EXAーARCADIA [New Arcade Platform/Publisher]

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
trap15

Re: EXAーARCADIA [New Arcade Platform/Publisher]

Post by trap15 »

Games run at whatever resolution the display is set to. The hardware is pretty sufficient to run the current software at 4K for the most part (some games excepting). You're maybe overestimating the amount of power needed for 4K@60.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

Looks like hardcore arcade gamers, at least in Japan, are in luck that Exa Arcadia will operate a video-arcade only game center by the end of this year or so.

The main highlights will feature 4K60fps lowest lag monitors, as Exa Arcadia proudly points out.
https://twitter.com/exaarcadia/status/1 ... 2977751041

That along with being small scale and low cost should mark a bright future in the post-covid amusement landscape.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

MrJBRPG wrote:a bright future in the post-covid amusement landscape.
lol
Zeether

Post by Zeether »

So how many Exa setups exist outside Japan now? All I know of is the one at Arcade Galactic lol
<Aquas> EDMOND DROPPED OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL TO SMOKE COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF OPIUM
<Zeether> shoe failed college again <croikle> credit feed
yosai

Post by yosai »

trap15 wrote:The hardware is pretty sufficient .
Were the hardware specs ever disclosed?
spmbx

Post by spmbx »

An i3 with a low spec geforce.
djsheep

Post by djsheep »

yosai wrote:
trap15 wrote:The hardware is pretty sufficient .
Were the hardware specs ever disclosed?
Seeing as they claimed it was more powerful than the PS5, I assume something a bit beefier than all of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaAY-jAjm0w
Zeether

Post by Zeether »

Don't forget it's more powerful than the unreleased Neo Geo 2 :wink:
<Aquas> EDMOND DROPPED OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL TO SMOKE COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF OPIUM
<Zeether> shoe failed college again <croikle> credit feed
djsheep

Post by djsheep »

Blast Processing, 2020 Style...
mtbd500

Post by mtbd500 »

My mate wants to know.. how does exa work?. Do you just plug it straight into a screen?. Or does it have to go through something in between?. And Do you plug the controller into the exa unit? Ie can you just use it like a console / pc!? .
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

mtbd500 wrote:My mate wants to know.. how does exa work?. Do you just plug it straight into a screen?. Or does it have to go through something in between?. And Do you plug the controller into the exa unit? Ie can you just use it like a console / pc!? .
Source: https://exa.ac/product/exa-arcadia-hardware/

*Requires a JVS compatible arcade cabinet with a DVI-D input or a JAMMA cabinet (31kHz only) using a JVS IO board and a DAC.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

It seems that the recent hire gives a hint of stronger presence for North American distribution and more.

https://www.replaymag.com/paul-jacobs-m ... me-system/

I wish that veteran the best of luck in attracting many operators, developers, and arcade gamers throughout the world.
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

Jeneki wrote:
mtbd500 wrote:My mate wants to know.. how does exa work?. Do you just plug it straight into a screen?. Or does it have to go through something in between?. And Do you plug the controller into the exa unit? Ie can you just use it like a console / pc!? .
Source: https://exa.ac/product/exa-arcadia-hardware/

*Requires a JVS compatible arcade cabinet with a DVI-D input or a JAMMA cabinet (31kHz only) using a JVS IO board and a DAC.
Afaik can be used much like a console apart from needing a JVS I/O board and compatible controller. The DVI/HDMI ports, audio and power are all plug and play but player input needs the arcade hardware inbetween (+ controller modification or adapter to connect to that)
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Pre-orders are up for the limited run of DoDonpachi True Death Exa Label Limited Edition (which includes both Exa-Arcadia hardware & the DDP TD EL LE software) for a mere $4,300 USD with 3 modes of gameplay indeed -- https://exa.ac/product/limited-edition- ... 177369a3b7

Sure is a better deal than with the original SH-3 powered DDP-SDOJ pcb kit that went for $2,400 back in 2012 (not to mention true stereo output with the Exa Label version of DDP TD whereas with DDP-SDOJ pcb was mono sound output at best). Nowdays, trying to get ahold of a minty DDP-SDOJ pcb kit will be in the four figure range quite easily these days (assuming if it can be found for sale).

Exa-Arcadia has mentioned that this DDP-TD Exa Label LE set will be published just once and will not get another print run making it quite an exclusive Exa-Arcadia software deal for the ages. It's a given that the hardcore Cave shmuppers have already ordered an DDP-TD set to seal the deal.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
trap15

Post by trap15 »

4 modes, not 3
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
spmbx

Post by spmbx »

Lol. I'd have an sh3 over an i3 for $4k any day. I'd rather wait for dumped/unprotected exa dumps tbh, and even then i'm not sure i could be bothered to run most of them.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

The wonderfully powerful SH3-driven CV1000, which hasn't been able to run any game released on it at full speed and has 32kbps quality MP3 audio. Truly worth all those dollarydoos.
spmbx

Post by spmbx »

The wonderful world of exa arcadia, where cave's sh3 games are suddenly frowned upon, where an i3 is worth 2k, and is considered more powerful than playstation 5.
What a f*cking joke
trap15

Post by trap15 »

A system is not just hardware. If CV1000 games were frowned on I doubt they'd be on the platform. Use your brain, man.
pixelcorps

Post by pixelcorps »

You do understand that the retail price of an SH3 was not actually equivalent to the component cost, but was actually priced to the operator due to its revenue generation for the operator, administration, distribution and marketing costs, plus the labor of the development staff contained within the software it ran?
SuperPang

Post by SuperPang »

If some people are too thick to understand how the business model works by now then they never will. I wouldn't waste your time trying to explain it.
Battlesmurf

Post by Battlesmurf »

Agreed.

All this to say- it's a fun one and will definitely be a nice thing to play. Looking forward to it.
My trade/wanted list
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 1#p1135521

Twitch.tv/RedHotHero
spmbx

Post by spmbx »

I'd say exa's business model is clear. Sell steam ports to an elitist crowd with more money than sense. But hey whatever works i guess.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

SDOJ is on steam now?
spmbx

Post by spmbx »

If you want to get pedantic thats fine, the general point stands. I know said elitist crowd has to pay your paycheck so...
SuperPang

Post by SuperPang »

This is arcade hardware. For arcades. There have always been people with more money than sense that pick up new arcade hardware for home use.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

spmbx wrote:I'd say exa's business model is clear. Sell steam ports to an elitist crowd with more money than sense. But hey whatever works i guess.
I am curious what kind of game you would accept as a legitimate arcade release?
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
chempop

Post by chempop »

CStarFlare wrote: I am curious what kind of game you would accept as a legitimate arcade release?
I'll field this one. Mushihimesama 3.

:mrgreen:
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

Great! I can play an updated release of SDOJ in 4K with new modes! I just have to head down to my local arcade and...

oh wait

Well that's ok, I can just order a kit for myself! Just gotta secure $4,300 and...

I mean maybe Round 1 will get them? I mean my local Round 1 does have Daioujou. But I get the feeling that US Round 1's japanese game selection mainly consists of hand me downs from the Japanese branch. I'm not too sure Round 1 would be interested in these in general, the main selling points seem to appeal more to small business owners, and there is no small business market for traditional arcade games in the US. So maybe these things will be seen throughout Asia, but the only places I would expect to have arcadia in the US would probably be the far in between specialty arcades. As such, this might as well not exist for the vast majority of people outside of Asia.

The good that may come out of this is the possibility for either cave to later do an easy port of the arcadia version to Steam, or more realistically, for somebody to crack it so the data can run on conventional PCs.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

That was the case two decades ago though. The main difference is that the internet allows us to see things that other people have that we want.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS