Ninja Gaiden (what AVGN can't beat): No Death Walkthrough!

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
BIL

Re: Ninja Gaiden (what AVGN can't beat): No Death Walkthroug

Post by BIL »

Fionordequester wrote:Lol, fair point :P . Speaking of beating things, it's time to wrap up #2!

Final Battle & Ending
Holy fuck, that's a badass pic :O Looks like a composite, I'm guessing (a form dear to my heart, see sig). Suddenly I'm wishing Naga Soutova's terror mug had been given a more prominent role. Them lamprey teefs, them dead black eyes! Doll's eyes, like a fookin shark!

As far as boss resurrections go, I always liked NGII's Jaquio. That some body horror shit when he returns all non-verbal before turning into Comin Outta The God Damn Wallsman. Did IL DEMONI hijack his biomass? Or did Jashin have a fist firmly up Jackie's ass the whole time, wielding him like a malignant sockpuppet? Either way, his face gets all fucked up like he's going deep cover as Demoni's stunt double!
Spoiler
OH GOD NO :O LOOK HOW THEY MASSACRED MY BOY ON AMIGA (OR SOME OTHER SHITTY EUROCUCK PC, I DUNNO TBH)
Spoiler
He looks like an old fapsock stapled to an orange! Thats amazin!
Fionordequester

Post by Fionordequester »

BIL wrote:Holy fuck, that's a badass pic :O Looks like a composite, I'm guessing (a form dear to my heart, see sig). Suddenly I'm wishing Naga Soutova's terror mug had been given a more prominent role. Them lamprey teefs, them dead black eyes! Doll's eyes, like a fookin shark!
Yep! I found some official looking art for Jaquio, then some awesome art for Naga. When I couldn't find a fan-artist attached to the Naga pic (meaning I don't know if it's official or not), I made a composite shot using the both of them. The rest is history :D !
BIL wrote:As far as boss resurrections go, I always liked NGII's Jaquio. That some body horror shit when he returns all non-verbal before turning into Comin Outta The God Damn Wallsman. Did IL DEMONI hijack his biomass? Or did Jashin have a fist firmly up Jackie's ass the whole time, wielding him like a malignant sockpuppet? Either way, his face gets all fucked up like he's going deep cover as Demoni's stunt double!
Indeed. Weak at the explanation was, I'm still glad we got some awesome designs from it.
BIL wrote:OH GOD NO :O LOOK HOW THEY MASSACRED MY BOY ON AMIGA ((OR SOME OTHER SHITTY EUROCUCK PC, I DUNNO TBH)... He looks like an old fapsock stapled to an orange! Thats amazin!
Dang. You weren't kidding :( ...
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

Whats up with the AVGN title? Its no secret he is quite terrible at games. Watch him seriously play Mario 3 here. This is truly painful to watch.
https://youtu.be/iO49J1Z1htE
Fionordequester

SuperDeadite wrote:Whats up with the AVGN title? Its no secret he is quite terrible at games. Watch him seriously play Mario 3 here. This is truly painful to watch.
https://youtu.be/iO49J1Z1htE
He's recognizable, I wanted a catchy title, and he generally does at least beat the games he reviews. That includes Ghosts N' Goblins for the NES, so I'm sure he could get good.. Perhaps he's just lazy...
Fionordequester

Ninja Gaiden 3... My favorite in the trilogy!

Ninja Gaiden 3 NES: No Death Walkthrough for Beginners (Act 1-3)

CHANGES FROM THE JAPANESE VERSION:

1) Limited continues. Each continue gives you the standard three lives, meaning you have effectively 15 lives to finish the entire game.

2) Most enemies do increased damage, oftentimes going from doing just 1 Damage in the Japanese version, to doing 3 Damage in our version. In fact, it's more common for an enemy to do 3 Damage than it is for them to do 2. Follow this link to see all the changes so far...

Enemy Buffs

3) Our version is far less generous with the power-ups. The Japanese had the Invincible Firewheel near the start of each and every Act (apart from Act 2), but our version took a good chunk of those out. It also did the same to a lot of other items, like Extra Lives, Potions, Dragon Spirit Swords, and Orange Ninpo. Follow this link to see all the changes so far...

Power-Up Changes

CHANGES FROM NINJA GAIDEN 1 & 2:

1) Enemies don't respawn! Yay!

2) No Ninja Friends! Boo!

3) You can jump *forward* off walls by climbing high enough, then holding the relevant direction while pressing jump.

4) Ryu can cling to the undersides of pipes just by jumping into them, and he can also jump *down* them by holding Down before jumping. If you're don't want to grab onto the underside, hold Down as you near it. Ryu will float back down.

5) A new Sub-Weapon was introduced; The "Vacuum Wave Art". Two scythes go up from, and down from, Ryu, and alternate sides for a bit. Not generally too useful, but helpful for a few spots in 5-1, and borderline mandatory for the Act 6 boss.

TRICKS THAT STILL WORK:

Pause Buffering: This is where you hit Pause to… well, pause the game. The enemies may not hit hard, but they’re fast, and there’s a lot of them. Worst of all, the game will spam them near bottomless chasms, so beginners will need this trick (experts will have already memorized things).

Sword Canceling: This works differently than it did in Ninja Gaiden 1. First of all, you can also apply this trick with Sub-Weapons. Secondly, the method is different; Just jump into the air, hold up, and alternate between A & B as you do so. Note that the sword/sub-weapon has to be out for ~6 frames before you cancel them with B. Otherwise, they won't do damage.
Last edited by Fionordequester on Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

That pesky jump at 5-2 is what No-Death run is implausible to me, so does DEMON's scary RNG hell 5 hits and byebye.
Fionordequester

copy-paster wrote:That pesky jump at 5-2 is what No-Death run is implausible to me, so does DEMON's scary RNG hell 5 hits and byebye.
Is that the one in the rain, with tons of fighter jets on the sides?
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

No it's this one

Fionordequester

Ah... Fortunately, there's an easy trick to that. Have you watched that particular video already? There's a trick that turns that into a non-issue.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I think I beat Ninja Gaiden like 30 times before anyone told me about that trick. Now I might actually dare going for a 1LC some time.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

THANK YOU.

Growing up I figured out the short gap & electric coral in Ninja Turtles no problem, cleared The Immortal, beat Castlevania I & Mega Man I each in a weekend rental (beat the Yellow Devil honestly too, didn't even know there was a trick), and blew up Hitler's face on my first try in Bionic Commando.

But that room? Could only get through it by sheer luck if I didn't stay alive long enough to keep the spin slash. Genuinely couldn't figure out how they expected you to do it (and watching your solution, still can't). Ninja Gaiden was the only game to ever make me actually throw my controller at the TV...to this day I'm grateful I didn't chip the screen, my dad would've killed me. Got to Jacquio a couple of times, but never finished it. Or the second game (didn't get to play much of the third).

With all these knowledgeable Ninja Gaiden people in one thread, maybe somebody can finally solve this mystery for me:

Why is there that square piece missing from the lower left corner of the statue? That has always weirded me out, it looks so deliberate, yet also glitchy.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I don't think it's a missing piece, but rather, the barbed end of its coiled tail. Viewed so, it's running from its lower left side, behind it to its right side. It makes more sense if you compare with the appearance of Jashin itself, which is sitting on its tail:

I'd never noticed how Xenomorph-esque the statue looks, haha. Always thought of Jashin as a jumbo shrimp. Or maybe the orb's the real "demon" (certainly seemed to possess the shit outta Joe), and the creature's just some kinda thrall, like Jaquio's corpse apparently became in NGII. No head, no problem! Whee, headcanon Image
Sengoku Strider

BIL wrote:I don't think it's a missing piece, but rather, the barbed end of its coiled tail. Viewed so, it's running from its lower left side, behind it to its right side. It makes more sense if you compare with the appearance of Jashin itself, which is sitting on its tail:

I'd never noticed how Xenomorph-esque the statue looks, haha. Always thought of Jashin as a jumbo shrimp. Or maybe the orb's the real "demon" (certainly seemed to possess the shit outta Joe), and the creature's just some kinda thrall, like Jaquio's corpse apparently became in NGII. No head, no problem! Whee, headcanon Image
That...seems completely right.

And xenomorph, of course. Every Japanese game between 1987-89 was riffing on Aliens. I said it then and I'll say it now, the face hugger scene in Lee Trevino's Fighting Golf was gratuitous.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I like how, with Contra being pretty much Aliens X Predator, the FC and AC Ninja Gaidens seem to reference one apiece. :mrgreen:

I wonder if that's meant to be an abbreviated "PLEDATOR," haha.

Jashin's actual form also has a "demonic foetus" / "fossil foetus" aspect to it. Reminds me of Gynoug's final boss. I wonder if there's some well-known common inspiration, from Giger or otherwise.
Fionordequester

Heyo, not an update per-say, but I found some really interesting tidbits, including a really hilarious glitch in Act 2. I'm going to be reuploading the first episode to showcase said glitch, add some additional info, and also add in the missing Act 2 speedrun.

Also, it looks like the localizers changed the items in each stage as well. Invincibility Firewheels, Dragon Spirit Swords, Orange Ninpō, ... All of these were significantly more common in the Japanese version than they are in the version we got. Seriously, take a look!

ACT 1-1C (Japanese): 1st Orange Ninpō & Dragon Spirit Sword to be removed

ACT 1-1C (US):

ACT 2-1A (Japanese): 2nd Orange Ninpō to be removed

Image Image Image Image

ACT 2-1A (US):

Image Image Image Image

ACT 2-2C (Japanese): 1st Potion to be removed; 3rd Orange Ninpō to be removed

Image Image Image Image

ACT 2-2C (US):

Image Image Image Image

ACT 2-2D (Japanese): 2nd Dragon Spirit Sword to be removed; 4th Orange Ninpō to be removed

ACT 2-2D (US):

ACT 3-1A (Japanese): 1st Invincible Firewheel to be removed; 3rd Dragon Spirit Sword to be removed; 5th Orange Ninpō to be removed

Image Image Image Image

ACT 3-1A (US):

Image Image Image Image

ACT 3-2C (Japanese): 6th Orange Ninpō to be removed

ACT 3-2C (US):

ACT 3-2D (Japanese): 1st Extra Life to be removed; 7th Orange Ninpō to be removed

Image Image

ACT 3-2D (US):

Image Image

So the "super" items removed so far are, in total...

ACTS 1-3:
1 Extra Life
1 Potion
1 Invincible Firewheel
3 Dragon Spirit Swords
7 Orange Ninpōs

I think they were pretty generous with the Ninpō, even in the American version. The rest of the changes are pretty far-reaching, however! I like it better this way, personally, but, I'm fairly attracted to hard games.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Yeah, the NTSCU powerup/enemy distributions are a lot more interesting. In particular, the Act II-2 vertical autoscroller is downright boring on FC, but just about tolerable on NES.

The NES's punishing damage scale aside, I don't think its stages are inordinately harder than the first two games'. It's more that FC III is noticeably easier. I seem to recall an official statement confirming they deliberately balanced US harder and JP easier, for their respective demographics... can't remember where offhand, though.

While I'm happy with the NES cart, I think the game's objectively best-balanced version is on the SNES/SFC Trilogy/Tomoe compilation - it combines the more demanding NES powerup/enemy layouts with the JP's sensible damage scale. Unfortunately, as always with this comp, it looks like shit and sounds worse - ditching graphical effects, dulling colours, and turning in a Babby's First MIDI Keyboard arrangement of Tecmo's inimitably pummelling/plaintive OSTs. I can only take a couple stages, muted, before I throw the towel in.

I also think the FC's difficulty nerf is ultimately somewhat neutralised, since the single biggest obstacle to a one-life clear - Act VII's time limit - is in that version too. :3 Not easy without the Invincible Firewheel, though certainly not impossible.
Last edited by BIL on Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sengoku Strider

BIL wrote: The NES's punishing damage scale aside, I don't think its stages are inordinately harder than the first two games'. It's more that FC III is noticeably easier. I seem to recall an official statement confirming they deliberately balanced US harder and JP easier, for their respective demographics... can't remember where offhand, though.
You're probably aware of this, but it was common to crank the difficulty on Western versions to prevent people from finishing games in a weekend rental. The Recording Industry Association of Japan won their legal battle way back in 1984, and the rental rights were held by the copyright holder as a form of distribution. In other words, Japanese stores could only rent out games if the publisher said they could, and the only times that happened AFAIK was with the Neo Geo, and years later the Dreamcast.

Of course that never happened overseas, and so difficulty or no I still finished most of the 8 & 16-bit games I cared about in a weekend. It was a big part of the appeal of rpgs & strategy games for me, the structure of the genres just tended to make that impossible to do in a short time frame, thus making them a solid birthday/Christmas ask. Asking for a game too hard to finish in a weekend might just mean I was getting something that was beyond my abilities entirely.
Fionordequester

One last bonus update before Acts 4-5 (which'll come tomorrow)! An exact record of all the enemies who do more damage in our version, and HOW much more damage they do! Turns out, it wasn't as simple as I implied in the 1st episode!

Enemy Buffs
Fionordequester

EPILEPSY WARNING: 13:28 to 13:41, as well as everything after 16:47, contain violently flashing lights. Be careful about watching this episode, if you struggle with seizures. Anyway, here it is!

Ninja Gaiden 3 NES: No Death Walkthrough for Beginners (Acts 4-5)
Fionordequester

Y'all ready for a super-dimensional time? I know I am :) !
EPILEPSY WARNING: 5:48 to 6:10, as well as 10:01 to 11:04, contain violently flashing lights. Be careful about watching this episode, if you struggle with seizures.

Ninja Gaiden 3 NES: No Death Walkthrough for Beginners (Acts 6-7)

NOTE: The bit at the very end was supposed to be me collecting the two extra Ninja Scrolls you can get from losing to Clancy's 2nd & 3rd forms... But I accidentally showed myself getting the 1st Ninja Scroll twice, instead. Still, you get the idea!

Enemy Buffs so Far:

https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=157767
https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=157768
https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=157769

Power-Up Changes so Far:

https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=157748
https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=157754
https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=157766
Fionordequester

And there we go! The entire NES trilogy has been completed!

Ninja Gaiden 3 NES: No Death Walkthrough for Beginners (Final Boss: Clancy & Ending)
Spoiler
Don't worry, the "voice acting" won't usually be a thing from now on. I'm basically just throwing shade at the dialogue :wink: