X Station PS1 ODE

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
fernan1234

Re: X Station PS1 ODE

Post by fernan1234 »

evil_ash_xero wrote:Is this thing easily installed in a system that has been modded for PSIO? And would it make the PSIO unable to work? I would kind of like to have both going, since there's so many freaking games on the PSX, and something always has a problem with a batch of games. I'm very skeptical this won't have a lot of firmware updates after it comes out. But it might be more stable, due to being an actual ODE. I dunno... stuff with the PSIO has kind of been a drag.
It doesn't interfere. But the main plus of PSIO is that it lets you keep the original CD-ROM in place and functioning, so I don't think using both on the same console is a good idea--unless you were already using a console with a dead drive. Probably better in general to just get a cheap spare console.
darcagn

Post by darcagn »

evil_ash_xero wrote:Is this thing easily installed in a system that has been modded for PSIO? And would it make the PSIO unable to work? I would kind of like to have both going, since there's so many freaking games on the PSX, and something always has a problem with a batch of games. I'm very skeptical this won't have a lot of firmware updates after it comes out. But it might be more stable, due to being an actual ODE. I dunno... stuff with the PSIO has kind of been a drag.
PlayStation units with a broken drive are cheap as heck, why not get another and get rid of the PSIO unit?

And outside of the PSIO which is not a true ODE, every ODE I'm familiar with has near-perfect compatibility. I've heard fantastic things about the XStation so far so I don't see any reason for it to be a repeat of the PSIO crap.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I think I'm going to wait this out. :lol:
playstays_shun

Post by playstays_shun »

pretty sweet preorders go out middle of next week !
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

This sounds impressive. I'm guessing this doesn't mean games are 100% bug-free, just that they boot?
NormalFish

Post by NormalFish »

Is anyone selling premodded systems yet?
darcagn

Post by darcagn »

NormalFish wrote:Is anyone selling premodded systems yet?
The XStation hasn't been officially released yet, all footage online is from early revisions sent to testers. Units are expected to ship on October 14.

I have eight PlayStation units here though that have been cleaned and tested, and I have eight XStations on order.
As soon as they come in, I'll be installing them, taking pictures, and selling them.
NormalFish

Post by NormalFish »

darcagn wrote:
NormalFish wrote:Is anyone selling premodded systems yet?
The XStation hasn't been officially released yet, all footage online is from early revisions sent to testers. Units are expected to ship on October 14.

I have eight PlayStation units here though that have been cleaned and tested, and I have eight XStations on order.
As soon as they come in, I'll be installing them, taking pictures, and selling them.
Oh damn okay. I kind of stopped following the project once I saw the install process, my bad.
James-F

Post by James-F »

Gunstar wrote:Image
This sounds impressive. I'm guessing this doesn't mean games are 100% bug-free, just that they boot?
Beta testers have been testing the xStation extensively for a month now, yes, that actually means games work exactly like with the CD and bug free.
btw, there are plenty of actual game bugs and glitches, we burned the CDs to verify these bugs if we encountered them.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

As I've mentioned before, I'd like to know how these tests are being directed. Is that claim in regards to the US catalog only or does it include the NTSC-J catalog as well, even the language-heavy games?

darcagn wrote:I have eight PlayStation units here though that have been cleaned and tested, and I have eight XStations on order.
In the US? Would you send to Europe too?
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

James-F wrote:
Gunstar wrote:Image
Beta testers have been testing the xStation extensively for a month now, yes, that actually means games work exactly like with the CD and bug free.
btw, there are plenty of actual game bugs and glitches, we burned the CDs to verify these bugs if we encountered them.
Cool, not expecting original bugs and glitches to be fixed, just interested in the ones introduced by the XStation. I like that people are verifying bugs against a burned CD, it sounds like Rama and co have done an amazing job if it's 100% compatible thus far. I can't wait for mine to arrive!
darcagn

Post by darcagn »

If anyone is thinking of getting a 1TB SD card to fill with a Redump set, Amazon has a 1TB SanDisk Extreme microSD for $183 for Prime Day (today and tomorrow).
RoboArmy

Post by RoboArmy »

I'm gonna be honest to say this was just Voultar hype (seems like everything he says on twitter is immediately the accepted consensus nowadays...) but this really seems to be delivering what was promised! Glad to have bought one Day #1.

edit: to clarify, Rama is a great dev, I was just skeptical of the 100% compatibility claims, especially because of the drama surrounding it.

Now to be patient and wait for shipping + our slow ass customs.
cyborc

Post by cyborc »

NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

My body is so ready for this. My SCPH-1001 w/ bad laser has been sitting patiently awaiting resurrection for far too long. I greatly want to run that unit again, with rca cables pumping out good good audiophile-approved analog audio from it. :)
Maka8295

Post by Maka8295 »

Sorry if this isn't appropriate to post here, but I have a favor I would like to ask of anyone that owns a 55xx console and X-Station. Would you be able to try the Japanese version of Alundra and see if there is a strange visual glitch that happens on the top 1/8 ish of the screen when moving horizontally? I'm trying to find out what's causing it, it may be a compatibility issue with the game and certain revisions of the PS1. Its reproducible on all my revisions of the PS2 but I don't have anything other than a PU20 PS1 to test with.

Thanks!!! Any help at all would be very much appreciated! :)
unGDLK

Post by unGDLK »

Anyone got theirs yet? I got a mail two weeks ago saying mine was estimated to ship last week and that I would get another mail when it had been shipped. Still haven’t heard anything. Anyone else have the same experience? I’m sure they’re working hard and I don’t mind waiting, just scared they forgot me. :D
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

I got a shipping notice Wednesday. Not sure how long it'll take to get to the UK but I'm in no rush, turns out my NTSCJ machine is a PU-20 motherboard and nobody has stock of DFOs!
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

unGDLK wrote:Anyone got theirs yet? I got a mail two weeks ago saying mine was estimated to ship last week and that I would get another mail when it had been shipped. Still haven’t heard anything. Anyone else have the same experience? I’m sure they’re working hard and I don’t mind waiting, just scared they forgot me. :D
I got an email that mine would ship on 10/30 or 11/1 at the latest. Still no notification of shipment.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
gojira54

Post by gojira54 »

Gunstar wrote:I got a shipping notice Wednesday. Not sure how long it'll take to get to the UK but I'm in no rush, turns out my NTSCJ machine is a PU-20 motherboard and nobody has stock of DFOs!
https://8bitmods.com/ had DFO recently, I bought one - worth contacting them
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

gojira54 wrote:
Gunstar wrote:I got a shipping notice Wednesday. Not sure how long it'll take to get to the UK but I'm in no rush, turns out my NTSCJ machine is a PU-20 motherboard and nobody has stock of DFOs!
Nice, didn't see anything on their site so sent them an email. Thanks for the heads up, gojira54, hope you're well!
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

PS1 Digital has a DFO inbuilt FYI
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Syntax wrote:PS1 Digital has a DFO inbuilt FYI
Does the PS1 Digital's DFO also work for the analogue output?
6t8k

Post by 6t8k »

^ Yes; it takes control of the GPU clock. See e.g. here (below "NTSC/PAL reference oscillator mod integration").
darcagn

Post by darcagn »

unGDLK wrote:Anyone got theirs yet? I got a mail two weeks ago saying mine was estimated to ship last week and that I would get another mail when it had been shipped. Still haven’t heard anything. Anyone else have the same experience? I’m sure they’re working hard and I don’t mind waiting, just scared they forgot me. :D
NoAffinity wrote:I got an email that mine would ship on 10/30 or 11/1 at the latest. Still no notification of shipment.
Several people have posted receiving theirs on Twitter, so some people have definitely gotten theirs already.

Similar happened to me, though, I was told my order would ship Oct 27 or 28th at the latest, and several days went by with no shipping confirmation. That Friday Castlemania tweeted they'd be updating everyone by the end of the day, and then another couple days went by without an update; since I several of the units in my order are already claimed by customers and I had been relaying to them inaccurate information as to when their units would be received, I tweeted out them that I'm checking to see what's up and within a few hours I had a UPS shipping notification. My order is on a UPS truck to be delivered today.

This was my first time ordering from Castlemania, they seem to be good people so far, but it seems they've over-promised a bit on the shipping times with the XStation. I'm guessing the programming process is taking them longer than they anticipated, they seem to be programming and shipping them at the same time instead of programming all of the units at once and then shipping. I wouldn't worry about your order being forgotten; they're probably just overwhelmed right now. :)
lordairivis

Post by lordairivis »

Received mine a couple days ago, install for my SCPH-1001/late model PU-8 took about an hour with me taking my sweet time. 4 pins on an IC need to be lifted and a few SMD resistors and an SMD filter need to be removed from the board, and the QSB needs to be tacked down in about a dozen locations. Pretty smooth install process and from what I could tell everything works exactly as advertised.
cyborc

Post by cyborc »

I received mine last week and got it installed last night. I actually had an easier time lifting pins than installing the QSB. I used a hook shaped soldering iron tip like the one voultar used in his video and I think that made it easier. When I first powered the psx on, the x-station didn't seem to be receiving power. I went over the QSB again and realized a few points weren't actually connected. flux, flux and flux some more...
TooBeaucoup

Post by TooBeaucoup »

My X-Station shipped Oct 27th and arrived on Oct 30th. It went faster than I had expected.
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

Syntax wrote:PS1 Digital has a DFO inbuilt FYI
The PS1 Digital is excellent but sticking with analogue for now.

gojira54 wrote:
I contacted 8bitmods but they said they don't sell kits and any they do make are going in their ultimate PSXs (I think they might have sold one had it not been a busy period) How much did they sell you the DFO for? I lucked out anyway and got one from Consolesunleashed.
gojira54

Post by gojira54 »

The DFO I didn't pay for, I had a favour owed so dunno how much they were sorry...
Xstation is great though =]