Arcade Archives: Flak Attack / MX5000: Region Change Code

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BIL

Arcade Archives: Flak Attack / MX5000: Region Change Code

Post by BIL »

For some reason, the Japanese PSN version of ACA Flak Attack becomes the game's Overseas version "MX5000" on my PS4. I'm well-accustomed to Japanese ACA releases displaying their Overseas titles on my menu - I'm guessing due to some system language setting. Starting "VICTORY ROAD" will nonetheless get you 怒号層圏.

Flak Attack actually contains the Overseas game, without the version menu that's standard for all other multi-region ACA releases, EG Salamander/Life Force.

It turns out that to enable Flak Attack's region switch, you need to enter the Konami Code at the ACA title screen. That's [up up, down down, left right, left right, X O] - here's a GIF:

Spoiler

This was driving me nuts yesterday. While I'm unsure of region differences between Flak Attack and MX5000, Konami tended to screw up their Overseas versions (cf Thunder Cross, XEXEX, Haunted Castle et al... see also lesser inferiorities, like Super Contra's missing second loop). I actually deleted the game and re-downloaded it, only to have フラック・アタック become MX5000 upon completion.

I wonder if there are any similar cases. I kinda hope not, because it's rather too important an option to hide away. Anyhow, all's well that ends well. I figured this out only by the grace of finding our own GSK's article at Retronauts - thought I'd post it here for posterity. Image
Jonpachi

Re: Arcade Archives: Flak Attack / MX5000: Region Change Cod

Post by Jonpachi »

That's some next-level region coding there. Thanks for the post!
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Thanks for the heads up. I'll see if there's a similar code for the Switch version (I was able to play the JP version by changing the system language). I wonder if Burgertime has a code to play the original "Hamburger" version.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Nice info. I was wondering why game names on the PS4 menus all switch to English, even when I'm logged on on my Japan account. If it's based on language settings that makes sense.

A couple gens ago, there were codes to hide tate mode. Now there are codes that hide regions. lolz
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Jeneki wrote:Nice info. I was wondering why game names on the PS4 menus all switch to English, even when I'm logged on on my Japan account. If it's based on language settings that makes sense.
Just tried switching my system language to Japanese - not only did all the ACA games display their Japanese titles, but Flak Attack defaulted to its Japanese version - the Konami code unlocked MX5000, instead. :smile:

Also affected a bunch of other games with Overseas titles - eg Blaster Master Zero II displayed MetaFight II.

ACA Flak Attack is the only PS4 game I've encountered that actually changes version depending on your language setting. Could be handy to know, cheers again GSK.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Switch version of Flak Attack also has the code. With B A instead of X O.

The title screen does change for the Blaster Master Zero games, but the text actually says ブラスターマスター (Blaster Master), not メタファイト (Meta Fight).
BIL

Post by BIL »

Haha, I noticed. :sad: Always hated that name. Still, game's the best of the series by a million miles. :mrgreen: (three million, if you count the other two characters!)

---

Turns out Flak Attack's just one of several ACA Konami releases with a title screen Konami Code. Seems limited to musical Easter Eggs - unsurprisingly, as most of these allow region select by default, UNLIKE A CERTAIN FLAK ATTACK :evil: Image

Contra, Gradius II and Thunder Cross will play their OSTs from start to finish, with the proper tracknames (MACHINE GRAVEYARD Image) and order, even. Twinbee plays its st1 BGM, though without the "music box" presentation. Gradius and Salamander play an unused BGM each (AFAIK - I don't recognise either tune offhand).

Spoiler

Salamander BGM in question: Can U NAME THAT TUNE??? :o I wonder if it's one of those unused tracks Jonny2x4 mentioned. Sadly the video he linked is down. :sad: This might be worth investigating! Image Here's Gradius's tune.

Neat little footnote in a series that eschews frills as a rule. Seems limited to the older releases worked on by Gotch - 2020's Circus Charlie, Sunset Riders and Trigon don't respond, nor do 2019's Detana!! Twinbee, Frogger, Pooyan, Road Fighter, VS Castlevania or VS Gradius - though it's not applicable to all of the oldies, either. A-JAX, Akumajou Dracula, Mr. Goemon, Scramble and Time Pilot don't seem to acknowledge the code, though again, the first has its Overseas variant Typhoon selectable by default.

Would've liked Dracula to include its utterly ridiculous "Version M," if only for completism's sake. Not that I'd play it! Game's a stealth 2HKO by default, if you're going for anything beyond a 1-ALL. Those bumps will catch up to you!

Also tried it out with their ACA Ark Area for a laugh, no dice. :lol:
BIL

Post by BIL »

A footnote - the recent Arcade Archives Gradius III may not have Gotch's branding, but it maintains their proud tradition of Konami Code-activated title screen BGM. Splendid work by all involved. :cool:
Firehawke

Post by Firehawke »

This is reminding me that a database of regional changes could be really useful. Anyone know if anyone has that kind of site already up, or at the very least a compilation of information?