gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
MJR

Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre

Post by MJR »

superg wrote:
MJR wrote: C128D goes into gscartw with SCART cable, which I assume has to be S-video.
From the gscartw I use the 2nd output with SCART<>RCA connector in output mode, and I use the yellow connector (in tv front). This gives grey image. Black connector/audio works ok as expected.
So that's pretty much explains it. You're sending S-Video signal on input but trying to get composite signal on output. The switch doesn't transcode the signal, I mentioned this before - no conversions between composite<->component<->s-video<->RGBS. In order to get composite signal working on your TV, you have to supply composite signal on input.
Ahh, ok, I'm sorry, I must have been confused by all this. I don't have a connector for C64/c128D that would output composite signal. I don't even know if such things exist. But that's fine, I can play c64/c128 on aerial cable anyway.
superg

Post by superg »

MJR wrote: Ahh, ok, I'm sorry, I must have been confused by all this. I don't have a connector for C64/c128D that would output composite signal. I don't even know if such things exist. But that's fine, I can play c64/c128 on aerial cable anyway.
I guess something like this:
https://www.8bitclassics.com/product/c64-svideo/
and this:
https://www.amazon.com/Female-Adapter-C ... ics&sr=1-1
will work for you.
superg

Post by superg »

mcole24 wrote: One possibility that I have thought about was getting a second gcompsw. I can connect composite systems to the second gcompsw, run that composite output through the Koryuu transcoder, and then connect that to the first gcompsw. However, I am wondering if that might not cause the same issue I'm experiencing with the OSSC. In other words, if the Koryuu is always on, would that cause the first gcompsw to think it's always getting an input and cause issues switching?
You're right, if you go with the second gcompsw and connect Koryuu transcoder to one of it's inputs, it will instantly lock on it's sync so that won't solve the problem.
Unfortunately I don't see a solution to this as is. I googled a bit about Koryuu, seems like a nice open source project, maybe you can contact the author so he can try to change the firmware so it doesn't output sync if nothing is connected. Of course if that is even possible, I'm not familiar with their hardware design.
The potential other solution would be to mod your composite consoles so they output component or RGBS but that would be a big task.
MJR

Post by MJR »

superg wrote:
MJR wrote: Ahh, ok, I'm sorry, I must have been confused by all this. I don't have a connector for C64/c128D that would output composite signal. I don't even know if such things exist. But that's fine, I can play c64/c128 on aerial cable anyway.
and this:
will work for you.
Thank you, ordered :)
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

superg wrote:
mcole24 wrote: One possibility that I have thought about was getting a second gcompsw. I can connect composite systems to the second gcompsw, run that composite output through the Koryuu transcoder, and then connect that to the first gcompsw. However, I am wondering if that might not cause the same issue I'm experiencing with the OSSC. In other words, if the Koryuu is always on, would that cause the first gcompsw to think it's always getting an input and cause issues switching?
You're right, if you go with the second gcompsw and connect Koryuu transcoder to one of it's inputs, it will instantly lock on it's sync so that won't solve the problem.
Unfortunately I don't see a solution to this as is. I googled a bit about Koryuu, seems like a nice open source project, maybe you can contact the author so he can try to change the firmware so it doesn't output sync if nothing is connected. Of course if that is even possible, I'm not familiar with their hardware design.
The potential other solution would be to mod your composite consoles so they output component or RGBS but that would be a big task.
It's pretty much the same with any always outputting device, no? Don't the Retrotink devices suffer from this as well? But we had a discussion in the Koryuu thread about this fix. The designer released a new firmware, but upgrading isn't as easy as with the OSSC! Check it out here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=65602&start=90
superg

Post by superg »

ldeveraux wrote: It's pretty much the same with any always outputting device, no? Don't the Retrotink devices suffer from this as well? But we had a discussion in the Koryuu thread about this fix. The designer released a new firmware, but upgrading isn't as easy as with the OSSC! Check it out here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=65602&start=90
RetroTink is fine, it's just keeps sync line high when it's off and that shows artifacts when nothing is turned on, but this is minor.
Bonus Lizard

Post by Bonus Lizard »

superg wrote: First time I hear this, what exactly is misaligned? All panels are precisely laser cut. Sometimes you have to fiddle with the SCART connectors a bit to get all of them inside the plexi openings. I have some spare panels but they are all the same. If you bent something installing the bumper case maybe you didn't do it right.
The openings are the correct size, but getting one set of openings inside leaves the other set slightly off. Should I try loosening the bolts holding in the SCART connectors, then?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cZWvaeXzvFxxPbCR7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gHHxT23UiUUTvzRx9
superg

Post by superg »

Bonus Lizard wrote:
superg wrote: First time I hear this, what exactly is misaligned? All panels are precisely laser cut. Sometimes you have to fiddle with the SCART connectors a bit to get all of them inside the plexi openings. I have some spare panels but they are all the same. If you bent something installing the bumper case maybe you didn't do it right.
The openings are the correct size, but getting one set of openings inside leaves the other set slightly off. Should I try loosening the bolts holding in the SCART connectors, then?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cZWvaeXzvFxxPbCR7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gHHxT23UiUUTvzRx9
That is generally easy to overcome by lining them one by one starting from the connector which doesn't fit.
You can either use your fingers to force the connector in place or insert any SCART cable into the connector and use it as leverage - that will make it easier.
Loosening the screws is not required but might help a bit, when I assemble cases here I first tighten the screws and put the top panel last.
Try whichever works for you.
Demonboyjr

Post by Demonboyjr »

So I've been thinking about adding my Genesis and Ps1 to my Gcomp via composite despite using them already with RGB through my Gscart, for those few games where I prefer dithering to be blurred. Will I need a separate composite male2male cable on the 2nd output of my Gcomp, or can I output composite through the Component Male2Male cable I already have in output1?
strygo

Post by strygo »

Is there a recommended short SCART cable to connect switches? I'd ask Retro Access to make one, but the earliest that will be is likely ~December.

The KabelDirekt ones from Amazon have worked well for me, but the shortest one they have is 6ft - I'd prefer something closer to 1ft.
superg

Post by superg »

strygo wrote:Is there a recommended short SCART cable to connect switches? I'd ask Retro Access to make one, but the earliest that will be is likely ~December.

The KabelDirekt ones from Amazon have worked well for me, but the shortest one they have is 6ft - I'd prefer something closer to 1ft.
Mine is 1ft from retro access. KabelDirekt is not bad but yeah, 6ft.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

superg wrote:
strygo wrote:Is there a recommended short SCART cable to connect switches? I'd ask Retro Access to make one, but the earliest that will be is likely ~December.

Mine is 1ft from retro access. KabelDirekt is not bad but yeah, 6ft.
Haven't you (maybe it was someone else? ) tested those kabeldirect 6 footers and they were fine? Once you get over 6ft it's lossy, but this was fine I thought
superg

Post by superg »

ldeveraux wrote: Haven't you (maybe it was someone else? ) tested those kabeldirect 6 footers and they were fine? Once you get over 6ft it's lossy, but this was fine I thought
I have one here and I am using it for switch testing, but I didn't really compare the quality. Somebody told me that longer run of KabelDirect is problematic but that was a long time ago.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

superg wrote:
ldeveraux wrote: Haven't you (maybe it was someone else? ) tested those kabeldirect 6 footers and they were fine? Once you get over 6ft it's lossy, but this was fine I thought
I have one here and I am using it for switch testing, but I didn't really compare the quality. Somebody told me that longer run of KabelDirect is problematic but that was a long time ago.
I remember the same, I feel like it was Fudoh or someone else reputable.
superg

Post by superg »

Demonboyjr wrote:So I've been thinking about adding my Genesis and Ps1 to my Gcomp via composite despite using them already with RGB through my Gscart, for those few games where I prefer dithering to be blurred. Will I need a separate composite male2male cable on the 2nd output of my Gcomp, or can I output composite through the Component Male2Male cable I already have in output1?
That will physically go through yellow output RCA, if your component cable have an additional yellow plug, you can use that. But that also depends on how your audio is routed.
In any case, the cleaner setup would be to get another composite + stereo audio RCA male to male cable.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

ldeveraux wrote:
superg wrote:
I remember the same, I feel like it was Fudoh or someone else reputable.
Prior to installing a DCHDMI in my Dreamcast, I used a 10ft Kabeldirekt SCART cable (They were about half the price of the 6ft ones at the time) to connecto my Toro to my OSSC, and I didn't notice any signal loss; though I suppose your mileage may vary.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

So, is it still looking like the composite switch will be back in stock late September or early October? Any delays on the horizon, due to world events?
superg

Post by superg »

evil_ash_xero wrote:So, is it still looking like the composite switch will be back in stock late September or early October? Any delays on the horizon, due to world events?
So far everything is on track, it's being manufactured.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

superg wrote:
evil_ash_xero wrote:So, is it still looking like the composite switch will be back in stock late September or early October? Any delays on the horizon, due to world events?
So far everything is on track, it's being manufactured.
Awesome. Thanks for the update.
MJR

Post by MJR »

superg wrote:
and this:
will work for you.
I finally received both, and tried them. I still was not able to get the signal through gscartw, but the funny thing was that there was no need to. What I did instead was that I took the C64>RCA cable and plugged it straight onto my TV's RCA ports, and voila, much better image. And since it's on different AV channel anyway, there was no need to use gscartw on that purpose. I now have one additional free slot on my gscartw in the case I wish to plug my N64 (or some other machine) in :)
superg

Post by superg »

MJR wrote: I finally received both, and tried them. I still was not able to get the signal through gscartw, but the funny thing was that there was no need to. What I did instead was that I took the C64>RCA cable and plugged it straight onto my TV's RCA ports, and voila, much better image. And since it's on different AV channel anyway, there was no need to use gscartw on that purpose. I now have one additional free slot on my gscartw in the case I wish to plug my N64 (or some other machine) in :)
Hmm, there is no way to test all possible RCA SCART adapters for sure but usually such a configuration works. Glad you got at least something that works.
mario64

Post by mario64 »

Will the next batch of gscartsw go back to the barrel power plug?
superg

Post by superg »

mario64 wrote:Will the next batch of gscartsw go back to the barrel power plug?
gscartsw switches from this batch will have reinforced usb connectors with through hole mount points. In addition to that, there is a much better audio overvoltage protection.
mario64

Post by mario64 »

superg wrote:
mario64 wrote:Will the next batch of gscartsw go back to the barrel power plug?
gscartsw switches from this batch will have reinforced usb connectors with through hole mount points. In addition to that, there is a much better audio overvoltage protection.
Excellent thank you!
superg

Post by superg »

Status update: Manufacturer is having a holiday until October 11th, the big batch will be shipped to me on October 12th so hopefully I will start shipping all orders on October 15-20.
mario64

Post by mario64 »

superg wrote:Status update: Manufacturer is having a holiday until October 11th, the big batch will be shipped to me on October 12th so hopefully I will start shipping all orders on October 15-20.
Would an order placed today make it in this batch?
superg

Post by superg »

mario64 wrote:
superg wrote:Status update: Manufacturer is having a holiday until October 11th, the big batch will be shipped to me on October 12th so hopefully I will start shipping all orders on October 15-20.
Yes.
mario64

Post by mario64 »

superg wrote:
mario64 wrote:
Yes.
Ordered :)
Thoughtseize

gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thread

Post by Thoughtseize »

Hi, can the gscartsw still be order as of today 10/15/2020 for the next batch?

Thank you.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Have the component switches arrived? It still says you're out of stock, on your page.