PS1Digital - HDMI Mod for OG PlayStation

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
RIP-Felix

PS1Digital - HDMI Mod for OG PlayStation

Post by RIP-Felix »

Didn't see a thread to discuss this mod specifically, though it's been mentioned in other threads. If this is an error, I apologize and ask a mod to remedy the situation.

First batch of units went on sale today and I was ready for it. I was logged in and on the product page. I clicked refresh at exactly 10am ET and rushed through the checkout process (noticed it said 451 units available when I added to cart). Norton did warn me the site is little used. I had to tell it off and reload the checkout page, but that only cost me about 10 seconds. By the time Paypal express checkout tried to complete the transaction 1 minute and 21 seconds later, It was out of stock already. Sadly I am NOT a proud owner of a PS1Digital! The bots beat me out! I suspect this is a common story today. I guess I'm waiting for October then.

2 months of hype followed by a mad dash at the door only to have the board sold to another customer right out of my cart at checkout while I was paying! If this were brick and moater at least I could fight back. How is a mortal born in the 80s to compete with 21st century technology that can beam my merchandise right out of the cart? That's just not right, man!

I want to hear your opinions about this. My desire for the PS1Digital is to combine it with an X-Station and create a definitive PlayStation 1 console. One console just for Playstation 1. Yes I have a PS2 and 3. No I don't need a PS1 to play PS1 games. However, the PS1 is nostalgic for me. The look of the console, the feel of opening the disc lid, the memory cards, and wired controllers are all are part of the experience. PS1 is my favorite console OAT. When I play on a PS1 it's more authentic. Sure it's one more console I have to add to my setup, but it a freaking PlayStation! The OG! Definitive! My favorite!

This gives me an excuse to give my childhood PlayStation the place it deserves under my HDTV (not in my closet collecting dust). To put it crudely, I'm Andy all grown up and this mod will let me play with Woody again!
darcagn

Re: PS1Digital - HDMI Mod for OG PlayStation

Post by darcagn »

I too am doing an Xstation + PS1Digital setup. I luckily managed to get my order in no problem using PayPal, but sounds like a lot of other people weren't as fortunate.

Regarding the stocking situation, I don't think there's an easy remedy to this. citrus3000psi doesn't want to take people's money up-front for a preorder, in case things go wrong with the production, and I can understand not wanting to be responsible for that. Since he's spending his own money up front, I'm sure he wants small batches so he doesn't take a big loss on something going wrong. And Black Dog Tech is just 1 person, citrus3000psi, who has a 40hr+ week job, and his mom and wife (who also has a 40hr+ week job) help with packing and shipping.

That being said, I would much prefer a waiting list type of scenario. I managed to get DCHDMI, GCLoader, and PS1Digital on their first sale date, but each time the sales are getting worse and stock is running out faster, and if they are repeatedly sold in batches like this, I expect that those with slower connections will not be able to fairly get a shot at being a Black Dog Tech customer.

If I had my way, I'd love to see a loyalty type system -- those who buy his mods religiously would get ability to preorder, maybe. This would likely cut down on their hate mail volume.
TooBeaucoup

Post by TooBeaucoup »

Yeah, they sold out in less than 90 seconds. LOL! Dan said he'd be doing plenty more of these until everyone gets one, so I wouldn't be too worried. The next couple of orders will probably be easier to get. These first batches always go lightening quick. The same thing happened with the GC Loader. That thing was sold out in a couple of minutes, too.
RIP-Felix

Post by RIP-Felix »

Instead of doing it them selves with tiny intermittent batches and months between (time enough for scalpers to spawn), what if more makers partnered with vendors like Castlemania games (for example)? Could breaks between batches be shorter and the batches themselves be larger? Perhaps profit margins would be smaller, but the economics of scale would help mitigate the necessary product price increases. Would you pay more if it meant you didn't have to wait so many months between batches or only have 90 seconds to complete a transaction? Oh, and you earn castle points, don't need so many logins, and can do business with a larger company with a larger target on their back if they screw up. This means they might be able to offer money back guarantees if a manufacturer goes out of business during a batch and looses everyone's money (something that's more likely to ruin a smaller operation). They could even partner with moders and coordinate the installation for customers, increasing the customer base by decreasing the barrier to entry.

Imagine what the UltraHDMI landscape would look like if Marshall was free to work on HWrev.2, while Castlemania orders/sells HWrev.1 batches. The year long drought and $600/console scalper market wouldn't happen.

Is saving a little money worth the added headache? Or risk?

IDK, maybe the volume in which these devices are desired is too small for any of this to matter, but as the retro gaming industry grows and old consoles become more popular, I could see mid size growth potential for online retro gaming distributors. Especially as they vacuum the pieces left when Gamestop and brick & mortar game stores go out of business - a distinct possibility with the gaming industry moving towards all digital.
Maka8295

Post by Maka8295 »

I was lucky enough to snag a PS1 digital. The shipping to NZ was a bit steep at 44 USD, but I suppose thats just how it goes :/
In Japan they often do lotteries for stuff like this. Everyone that wants one puts their name down and then 500 people or whatever are picked at random. This would eliminate stuff like PayPal lagging or site crashes and would make it more fair for people who need to be at work or sleep or what have you. Just an idea!
darcagn

Post by darcagn »

Bump, since these things are now arriving.

Mine arrived this afternoon and I installed it. Installing the GPU flex initially looked daunting, but wasn't actually that bad.

I got a SCPH-5501 with a broken disc drive and swapped out the drive from my working SCPH-7501 unit with a Mayumi chip.
I installed PS1Digital in the SCPH-5501 and used the PSNee functionality, but the console loads pretty unreliably, even though it's the same drive I'm used to.
Lots of "Please Insert PlayStation CD-ROM" and dropping to the CD player. Games that do work stay at the "Sony Computer Entertainment" screen longer before they get to the PlayStation screen.

Not gonna complain too much since I've preordered the XStation, but I'm assuming this is a difference between Mayumi and PSNee? Mayumi seems to have a reputation for loading more reliably than other chips, I think. Either that or the wires are too long, but the PS1Digital is on the opposite side of the board, so it's kinda hard to make the wires short...
EDIT: I re-soldered the PSNee wires and put them through the center of the motherboard where the metal shielding legs went through before removal, so that they could run shorter. Unfortunately, it didn't improve the loading.
chriz2600

Post by chriz2600 »

darcagn wrote: I installed PS1Digital in the SCPH-5501 and used the PSNee functionality, but the console loads pretty unreliably, even though it's the same drive I'm used to.
Lots of "Please Insert PlayStation CD-ROM" and dropping to the CD player. Games that do work stay at the "Sony Computer Entertainment" screen longer before they get to the PlayStation screen.
Sorry for that, I recently found some issues with the PSNee parameter tuning on PS1Digital. The upcoming firmware update will fix this.
darcagn

Post by darcagn »

chriz2600 wrote:
darcagn wrote: I installed PS1Digital in the SCPH-5501 and used the PSNee functionality, but the console loads pretty unreliably, even though it's the same drive I'm used to.
Sorry for that, I recently found some issues with the PSNee parameter tuning on PS1Digital. The upcoming firmware update will fix this.
Awesome, glad to hear the problem is not with my console.
It might also be nice to have an option to inject only the console's specific country code and not all 3 regions simultaneously; as I understand it, this helps Mayumi chips for example (which requires a region-specific chip) boot up discs faster than PSNee chips (which are region-free).

Thanks for the response Christof, looking forward to the next update and of course the next product you roll out :D
dmxxlr

Post by dmxxlr »

Installed mine today. Install was tough but manageable, nearly butchered the audio flex but persevered!

The only disk I have on hand is FF7. Outputting 1080p I'm losing sync when the game changes resolution, mainly in menus. Is this expected behavior in this, or any other titles with varying resolutions?
Maka8295

Post by Maka8295 »

My kit arrived today! Took me all day to install it, I kept thinking I had shorts on the Gpu and audio flex but it turns out I was just measuring continuity between multiples of the 3v and ground pins... I wish I had realized earlier so I didn't have to put so much heat into the flex D:

Thankfully its all working now with the exception that I get a signal drop whenever a game switches resolutions, NOT 240p to 480i but for example when entering a menu in FF7 a higher resolution mode is used. I lose audio and video for about a second or two. It happens on two different TVs.

Does anyone know what is causing it? Could I have a problem with the install? Everything else seems to work perfectly. Could it be caused by a dying disk drive?

Edit: I can rule out the disc drive as I didn't get any problems over analogue audio + video. So it must be a problem with my gaming monitor and TV or with my install?

Edit 2: Using force 240p or 480i seems to solve the problem?

Edit 3 (SORRY!) : Dan has informed me its normal behavior! Please ignore me! :)
darcagn

Post by darcagn »

Maka8295 wrote:I kept thinking I had shorts on the Gpu and audio flex but it turns out I was just measuring continuity between multiples of the 3v and ground pins... I wish I had realized earlier so I didn't have to put so much heat into the flex D:
When testing continuity and for shorts I ran into the same thing, but I looked at the pinout before messing with it any further because the installation looked great and the shorts were showing a few pins away.
But since the pinout is only listed under troubleshooting, I was taken off guard by this, as Dan tests for continuity in his install video and doesn't mention this.
It would cut down on confusion if this was mentioned in the section on installing the GPU flex.
Maka8295 wrote:Thankfully its all working now with the exception that I get a signal drop whenever a game switches resolutions, NOT 240p to 480i but for example when entering a menu in FF7 a higher resolution mode is used. I lose audio and video for about a second or two. It happens on two different TVs.

Does anyone know what is causing it? Could I have a problem with the install? Everything else seems to work perfectly. Could it be caused by a dying disk drive?
Edit: I can rule out the disc drive as I didn't get any problems over analogue audio + video. So it must be a problem with my gaming monitor and TV or with my install?
Edit 2: Using force 240p or 480i seems to solve the problem?
Edit 3 (SORRY!) : Dan has informed me its normal behavior! Please ignore me! :)
Yeah, that was happening to me too. I used FFVII on a demo disc as my test game, and I was getting HDMI re-syncs when the experience/level up screen shows after a battle.
They happen so fast I could hardly even tell visually, but the audio would drop out which was pretty jarring. Messing with the settings and forcing a video mode fixed the issue.

Also, looks like Christof has fixed the PSNee functionality today in the v1.1 firmware changelog (not yet released).
Kyusha

Post by Kyusha »

actually i think its psx the one that make games look better through the scart cable, or thats what a i remember from retrorgb, ps2 doesnt look as good either with scart or component it will be cool if that changes when ps2 hdmi goes out
djc5166

Post by djc5166 »

Anyone know if this works alongside a spdif mod? Dan wasn't sure.
Maka8295

Post by Maka8295 »

djc5166 wrote:Anyone know if this works alongside a spdif mod? Dan wasn't sure.
This is a thread I made on the official PS1D forums to do with that mod

https://forums.black-dog.tech/index.php ... igital.46/

I'm still waiting on my new flex's to arrive and then I should know for sure :)
djc5166

Post by djc5166 »

Maka8295 wrote:
djc5166 wrote:Anyone know if this works alongside a spdif mod? Dan wasn't sure.
This is a thread I made on the official PS1D forums to do with that mod

https://forums.black-dog.tech/index.php ... igital.46/

I'm still waiting on my new flex's to arrive and then I should know for sure :)
Let us know your findings, curious on if I will have to get this removed or not.
Maka8295

Post by Maka8295 »

Hello again! I finally got around to replacing the audio flex cable for my TOSLINK + PSDigital Modded PS1. Good news! With the stock 1000 ohm termination resistors both the TOSLINK and PS1 digital audio will work simultaneously! :)

Thats all! Sorry for taking so long to update.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Given that the roadmap for the N64 Digital states:
Built in Video DAC
For RGB/YPbPr output through the N64 multi output.
Is there a chance that such a DAC could be fitted to the PS1 Digital (either as a mod or with a hardware revision) to allow switchable RGB/YPbPr output on the PS1, thereby enabling the use of commonly-available PS2 and PS3 component cables? It might have a bit more applicability in North America, where CRTs with YPbPr, but not RGB, inputs were commonly available.
Balleratt

Post by Balleratt »

Is this the "official" PS1Digital thread around here?

Looks like I will be recieving my PS1Digital + xStation unit today. It's a scph-5502 unit from overseas, but I have already prepared the PSU swap from an existing PAL 5502 I have. I do have an xStation unit in my CRT setup, so the 512GB card is already decently stacked with games and ready to be popped in! I also got a brand new LG CX 65" OLED last week, got an amazing deal on this set! With the low latency specs on this set, I think it will be a real joy to hook up the PlayStation! The Ultra HDMI N64 plays and looks extremely well on the LG!
Balleratt

Post by Balleratt »

Oh man, getting that clean video and audio output over HDMI from these old circuits really blew me away! And the LG CX is a PERFECT match for hooking up older consoles , as well as new ones! Love the gaming features and low-latency specs, such a great experience! The pixel response time of OLED sets is much appreciated for someone who loves playing retro games on CRT's as well! I will need to experiment with the black frame insertion settings on a game per game basis in the long run!

Here I am in total awe, playing the original PlayStation on a 2020 model OLED :D Just love it!
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Balleratt wrote:I will need to experiment with the black frame insertion settings on a game per game basis in the long run!
BFI is really important to move toward CRT levels of motion clarity, although you lose brightness as a tradeoff. Be warned though, lag goes up on the LGs when you use BFI as it uses a frame buffer for it, and it may be variable too.
Balleratt

Post by Balleratt »

fernan1234 wrote:
Balleratt wrote:I will need to experiment with the black frame insertion settings on a game per game basis in the long run!
BFI is really important to move toward CRT levels of motion clarity, although you lose brightness as a tradeoff. Be warned though, lag goes up on the LGs when you use BFI as it uses a frame buffer for it, and it may be variable too.
Using the BFI on High is out of the question for most games, but low to medium seems OK in a dark room. It would be nice to see some number on the input lag though.

I think the image is stunning without any BFI enabled to be honest, but it's always fun to experiment! :)

Edit:

13.02 ms of display lag with bfi off

21.19 ms of display lag with bfi on

26 ms on High

21.19 is still better then my Sony Af9 65 OLED in game mode hehe.
H6rdc0re

Post by H6rdc0re »

Balleratt wrote:
fernan1234 wrote:
Using the BFI on High is out of the question for most games, but low to medium seems OK in a dark room. It would be nice to see some number on the input lag though.

I think the image is stunning without any BFI enabled to be honest, but it's always fun to experiment! :)

Edit:

13.02 ms of display lag with bfi off

21.19 ms of display lag with bfi on

26 ms on High

21.19 is still better then my Sony Af9 65 OLED in game mode hehe.
Only BFI (OLED Motion Pro) set to high fixes motion as medium and low still have a double image. Set to high you get CRT like motion clarity. Set picture mode to Game mode with OLED Light to 50 and Contrast to 95 for brightest picture without ruïning picture quality. Going over OLED Light 50 with BFI set to high does nothing to increase brightness in this mode.
Balleratt

Post by Balleratt »

Thanks for the tip :idea:
PearlJammzz

Post by PearlJammzz »

Balleratt wrote:Thanks for the tip :idea:
Turn Dynamic Tone Mapping on. It's called something slightly different in SDR mode but it basically just tone maps the brightness up across the board. It helps a TON when BFI is set to high.

For a good way to see the fruits of your labor load up the 240p test suite's scrolling test and crank up the speed (you press up or right on the d-pad, can't remember which). Notice the mountain line on the test and you'll see it blur/double. Do this on a few different panels if you can and you'll see the huge gains in motion resolution just by going from LCD -> OLED. Then set BFI to high and do it again and you'll see it improve even further. BFI on high is pretty much on-par with a CRT albeit a little dark and with a slight flicker and some additional input lag. Not perfect but it's awesome. I hope LG (and others) continue to improve this feature.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

PearlJammzz wrote:For a good way to see the fruits of your labor load up the 240p test suite's scrolling test and crank up the speed (you press up or right on the d-pad, can't remember which). Notice the mountain line on the test and you'll see it blur/double. Do this on a few different panels if you can and you'll see the huge gains in motion resolution just by going from LCD -> OLED. Then set BFI to high and do it again and you'll see it improve even further. BFI on high is pretty much on-par with a CRT albeit a little dark and with a slight flicker and some additional input lag. Not perfect but it's awesome. I hope LG (and others) continue to improve this feature.
"High" is just BFI @ 60hz, which works well for our old games meant to run on 60Hz CRTs (and most aiming for 60fps), and is hardly an innovation as it has been around since the mid 2000s on professional monitors. If you do this test with a CRT next to it you'll see that it's actually not that close, but it's definitely the best for motion resolution available on the consumer space. The next best thing is a rolling/scanning bar on OLEDs (or backlight scanning on LCDs), which has been done only on a few Sony OLED professional panels since ~2011, gets even closer to CRT and does not affect brightness as much even without compensation, but LG can't be bothered to implement something like that. We may just need some external video processor to do this for us instead.

Besides increasing the lag though, It also seems like turning on BFI on LG TVs activates interpolation even if that setting is turned off, but this may not be the case on the newest models.
H6rdc0re

Post by H6rdc0re »

fernan1234 wrote:
PearlJammzz wrote:For a good way to see the fruits of your labor load up the 240p test suite's scrolling test and crank up the speed (you press up or right on the d-pad, can't remember which). Notice the mountain line on the test and you'll see it blur/double. Do this on a few different panels if you can and you'll see the huge gains in motion resolution just by going from LCD -> OLED. Then set BFI to high and do it again and you'll see it improve even further. BFI on high is pretty much on-par with a CRT albeit a little dark and with a slight flicker and some additional input lag. Not perfect but it's awesome. I hope LG (and others) continue to improve this feature.
"High" is just BFI @ 60hz, which works well for our old games meant to run on 60Hz CRTs (and most aiming for 60fps), and is hardly an innovation as it has been around since the mid 2000s on professional monitors. If you do this test with a CRT next to it you'll see that it's actually not that close, but it's definitely the best for motion resolution available on the consumer space. The next best thing is a rolling/scanning bar on OLEDs (or backlight scanning on LCDs), which has been done only on a few Sony OLED professional panels since ~2011, gets even closer to CRT and does not affect brightness as much even without compensation, but LG can't be bothered to implement something like that. We may just need some external video processor to do this for us instead.

Besides increasing the lag though, It also seems like turning on BFI on LG TVs activates interpolation even if that setting is turned off, but this may not be the case on the newest models.
Not true. I have two Sony PVM 20L4s and a Sony GDM-W900 in the same room. Motion on my 65CX6 is comparable to all three CRTs. Turning OLED Motion Pro to high in either 60Hz or 120Hz yields CRT like motion when running 60fps or 120fps content. Running 30fps content in 60Hz BFI gives a double image as does 60fps content in 120Hz BFI.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

H6rdc0re wrote:Running 30fps content in 60Hz BFI gives a double image as does 60fps content in 120Hz BFI.
Right, as expected when the FPS is half of the refresh rate. And we may just be slightly differing on how we understand the word "comparable".
PearlJammzz

Post by PearlJammzz »

H6rdc0re wrote:
fernan1234 wrote:

Not true. I have two Sony PVM 20L4s and a Sony GDM-W900 in the same room. Motion on my 65CX6 is comparable to all three CRTs. Turning OLED Motion Pro to high in either 60Hz or 120Hz yields CRT like motion when running 60fps or 120fps content. Running 30fps content in 60Hz BFI gives a double image as does 60fps content in 120Hz BFI.
I don't see any double images/frames but perhaps I am not sensitive to that? I can't see it. The panel is 120hz and the BFI runs at 60hz. So you have 1 frame shown, 1 frame black in that 120hz. Thus, the 120hz panel becomes a 60hz panel but it's inserting a black frame which helps create that crisp motion resolution. Just adds lag as far as I can tell. But again, perhaps I am not sensitive to it and just don't notice it. I'm definitely not claiming to be an expert.
H6rdc0re

Post by H6rdc0re »

PearlJammzz wrote:I don't see any double images/frames but perhaps I am not sensitive to that? I can't see it. The panel is 120hz and the BFI runs at 60hz. So you have 1 frame shown, 1 frame black in that 120hz. Thus, the 120hz panel becomes a 60hz panel but it's inserting a black frame which helps create that crisp motion resolution. Just adds lag as far as I can tell. But again, perhaps I am not sensitive to it and just don't notice it. I'm definitely not claiming to be an expert.
The panel can display 120Hz but I think it refreshes at 60Hz with 60Hz BFI and at 120Hz with 120Hz BFI. Otherwise why else would 120Hz BFI get much brighter than 60Hz BFI? Running my Xbox Series X forced to 120Hz I get double images running 60fps games like Sonic Mania, Doom, etc. When I force my Xbox Series X to 60Hz I get CRT like motion running the same 60fps games. Running 120fps games forced to 120Hz I get CRT like motion. OLED Motion Pro set to high only works great when running matched content.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

H6rdc0re wrote:The panel can display 120Hz but I think it refreshes at 60Hz with 60Hz BFI and at 120Hz with 120Hz BFI. Otherwise why else would 120Hz BFI get much brighter than 60Hz BFI? Running my Xbox Series X forced to 120Hz I get double images running 60fps games like Sonic Mania, Doom, etc. When I force my Xbox Series X to 60Hz I get CRT like motion running the same 60fps games. Running 120fps games forced to 120Hz I get CRT like motion. OLED Motion Pro set to high only works great when running matched content.
Lower than "High" BFI settings darken the picture less because the duty cycle is faster, which means there is less black per second, which also means it's less effective for 60fps content. I've heard people say that at the lowest setting the BFI on this and last year's panels turns into a rolling black bar type, but I think that it is rather a quarter black frame flickered across different parts of the frame. 120Hz for 120fps looks smooth because duty cycle and frame rate are matching, which is the ideal to avoid double images.

On CRTs which are 60Hz displays (except PC CRTs which can do higher refresh rates), we always got double images with ~30fps game and video content, but at least they were very clear, and we were used to them so it didn't bother us much if at all. On these OLED TVs the doubled images are not quite as clear as on a CRT, which probably makes them more bothersome. On top of that, on these OLEDs the stutter caused by FPS variations or rates lower than half will be even more noticeable. That may be the reason why many of them automatically activate interpolation along with BFI (or that just may be lazy programming).