What are you currently listening to?

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
BIL

Re: What are you currently listening to?

Post by BIL »

Sumez wrote:Backpedalling to the talk on NIN and "industrial rock", I just got to Cubanate in my car CD rotation, and damn, I haven't listened to these guys for a while, but I enjoy being here again.

In my opinion, this is how you mix guitars into industrial music.
Cubanate - Industry
Cubanate - Joy

As I was listening to it, I realised that their vocals and attitude is kinda similar to what you hear in Motorhead. Maybe that's why Motorhead sounds a lot more approachable to me than pretty much any other metal?

They are a bit one-track of course, and honestly get old quite fast. But they remedied that on their final album when they changed lanes and pulled an entire, badass 90s drum'n'bass album.
Couple years out, but just heard BODY BURN accompanying some strippers on The Sopranos and had to look it up. Now that's a BANGIN CHOON (though unfortunately the scene it's used in is very tame - deserves FOCKIN BOOBS MON 3:<)

Had some good tunes over its run, that show. The Kinks' "Living On a Thin Line" (NWS, gross fake tits & poor Tracee 3; - her boobs were too pure for this world Image Image) and some weird cunt whose name I can never recall offhand's Evidently Chickentown ("Stuck in fookin' Chickentown") come to mind. MENACIN CHOON / Ultimate SHIT HITTING FAN mafia choon
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Alright, Missa Salisburgensis by (supposedly?) Heinrich Ignaz Franz Biber (don't ask ME, I wouldn't know) is quite... COLOSSAL. I mean, there's Baroque music, Baroque Music, and there's THIS. AMEN.
P.S. For what it's worth, I'm listening to the digital (all "DDD") recording by Musica Antiqua Köln - Reinhard Goebel, Gabrieli Consort & players - Paul McCreesh, A.D. 1998 or so.
P.P.S. It's pretty fucking fantastic, rad, have no fear, it won't bite.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

"Nova + 4" by Yutaka Hirose 1986

I managed to snag one of the cassette versions of this re-release which is a copy of the early masters that didn't yet have all the nature sounds over-dubbed on top of the ambient tracks. I believe that it was first released this way (small label cassette), as were most ambient recordings in 1980's japan.

It's very relaxing stuff. Not going to make you dance or chug beer (probably), but I like having stuff like this tinkling away in the background on a tiny portable cassette recorder hung from the wall. One small perk to being stuck at home and not around coworkers.

scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

^_
It's cool how a lot of these 80's new-age/ambient artists from Japan are getting reissues, like Hiroshi Yoshimura. Many have been some of my favorite ambient albums discoveries in recent years. It really seems like ambient music is having a bit of a moment right now, even Berghain's label is releasing records with nary a kick drum to be heard.

I'll have to give Nova + 4 a solid listen.

eagerly awaiting the proper remaster of Global Communication's 76:14 atm, a true classic from 1994.
https://bleep.com/release/191605-global ... nsmissions
Marc

Post by Marc »

On a Deftones kick due to the release of their new track. Diamond Eyes is still their best, a stunning collection of songs. Still love the rawness of Adrenaline as well, it's a bit one-track but when it's good, it's brilliant.

Whacked an order in for the re-release of Kerbdog's two albums on vinyl, can't wait for those to arrive.

And some dirty punk rock in the form of Git Some.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Very... uplifting Baroque music album consisting of Heinrich Ignaz Franz Biber's Missa Alleluja, Nisi Dominus, Pastorella in A major and Hic est panis, recorded by Ars Antiqua Austria playing, St. Florianer Sängerknaben singing, Gunar Letzbor conducting and playing solo violin. A strong candidate for anyone's first larger dose of Baroque sacred music, very much all pleasure on pretty much every level.
The way out is cut off

Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

That Which Binds Us Through Time: The Chemical, Physical, and Biological Nature Of Love

I'm not sure if this is going to be the song that unites the world, but I'm pretty sure it might.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Strelo do dia* album by La Capella Reial de Catalunya & Hespèrion XXI, conducted by Jordi Savall, who is quite relentless at unearthing such paleo-repertoire. I don't slavishly endorse all of his endeavours, but this one is just something I oftentimes miss hearing when I'm hungover.

*) Better known as Cantigas de Santa Maria, eagerly performed and recorded by just about anyone, but this one's particular. Maybe I'm just missing the natural response from the kind of place where it was recorded? So, yeah, even the "natural" sound of such recordings may become past-selling date at some point, for the majority of listeners, who gives?
The way out is cut off

OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

Obsessed with Lush at the moment. At least their pre-1996 records. Loving that clean guitar sound + vocal harmonies. They do some of the most amazing polychords I've ever heard. It's made me want to pick up the guitar again (I haven't really played since the late 90s) and learn that particular style. I also might have a crush on Emma Anderson. That's weird.

Any of the olds here from the UK that were a part of that late 80's-early 90's scene? I don't want to use the "s" word because apparently it was a slur back then. I have a few of the most oft-recommended albums in my library (Nowhere, Souvlaki, Loveless), but they require more listens and there's more stuff I need to check out eventually. Just wondering if anyone has stories about what that era was like and going to shows and stuff.

e: apparently there was a 2014 documentary made about this. "Beautiful Noise". Some brief initial searching didn't come up with a method to watch it (it's not on Netflix, I checked last night).
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

While not growing up in the UK, I was nevertheless exposed to Lovelife album when it was new (officially released over here on cassette as well, which, at the time, did matter). In recent years, I've been listening to Colour Trip album by Ringo Deathstarr (recommended by someone on these boards), liking most of it a lot. From Austin, Texas but pretty "retro-British", in a charming way. Also, Psychocandy by The Jesus and Mary Chain sounds amazingly fresh to this very day.
The way out is cut off

FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:Also, Psychocandy by The Jesus and Mary Chain sounds amazingly fresh to this very day.
Absolutely. When you go XTREEM like that, it's hard to go out of style.

In that line of thinking, 3 bands that I think will keep sounding fresh for that reason, are : JAMC, MBV and Sonic Youth.

Speaking of shoegazers, anybody into Swervedriver? I love these guys so much. so fucking good. might not use tons of reverb and delay like other bands, but still swirling sound/clouds of noise of sort, plus they are more driven and muscular. which I particularily appreciate being, heavy into post-hardcore.

I feel like they don't get the attention they deserve. Their second LP ''Mezcal Head'' is absolutely a god-tier record TBH!
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:While not growing up in the UK, I was nevertheless exposed to Lovelife album when it was new (officially released over here on cassette as well, which, at the time, did matter).
I had Lovelife when it was current, as well. Well, briefly. I got my first CD player Xmas of '95 and the first few years after that I was buying a lot of music, just trying all sorts of stuff, borrowing albums from friends, etc. I was a Columbia House and BMG Club member and I think I got Lovelife from one of those but I'm not sure why. I hated it, tbh. Was way too poppy for me so it was among the pile of "duds" I traded in to a local record store. These days, I can much better appreciate what they were trying to do, as I grew up listening to pop in the 80s so it's in my blood and I have embraced that since the 90s. Some of the tunes are really catchy, and all 3 videos are fun to watch. But I'm still not a fan of that record.
FinalBaton wrote:Speaking of shoegazers, anybody into Swervedriver? I love these guys so much. so fucking good. might not use tons of reverb and delay like other bands, but still swirling sound/clouds of noise of sort, plus they are more driven and muscular. which I particularily appreciate being, heavy into post-hardcore.
Yeah those guys are on my list of acts I need to check out. The samples I've heard reminded me a little bit of Failure and Nothing, both of which I'm a big fan of. Pretty sure Pandora used to play Swervedriver for me back when I was a paid subscriber to that.

Watched some Pale Saints videos today on YT, me likey.
versionfiv

Post by versionfiv »

Allegiance - Hymn Til Hangagud
swedish black metal from 96 with viking theme but not heavy on the folk twanging. the 90s drummer of Marduk is on drums and the original bassist of Marduk is on guitar. that's how i found the band originally.
i really don't like folky metal at all so to find a viking theme black metal album that isn't folk ridden is a rarity. Twin Obscenity is another one but they're not as good.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Carpenter Brut: Turbo Killer
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Marc

Post by Marc »

OmegaFlareX wrote:Obsessed with Lush at the moment. At least their pre-1996 records. Loving that clean guitar sound + vocal harmonies. They do some of the most amazing polychords I've ever heard. It's made me want to pick up the guitar again (I haven't really played since the late 90s) and learn that particular style. I also might have a crush on Emma Anderson. That's weird.

Any of the olds here from the UK that were a part of that late 80's-early 90's scene? I don't want to use the "s" word because apparently it was a slur back then. I have a few of the most oft-recommended albums in my library (Nowhere, Souvlaki, Loveless), but they require more listens and there's more stuff I need to check out eventually. Just wondering if anyone has stories about what that era was like and going to shows and stuff.

e: apparently there was a 2014 documentary made about this. "Beautiful Noise". Some brief initial searching didn't come up with a method to watch it (it's not on Netflix, I checked last night).
I'd recommend some Swervedriver if you haven't heard them already. Some of that style can be a little bit passive for me, but Swervedriver have enough rock in there to appeal to my tastes.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Took me a few years to get around to it but Formulae is fast becoming my favourite Master's Hammer album. It has this occult-industrial inflection that's a far cry from their first album, but anyone who could stomach the more avant-garde work like Šlágry will probably be able to get into it. Franta's vocals sound better than ever, too!
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

swervedriver are great, although i've only heard their first two albums. both are great but i think i slightly prefer the first one, raise.

recently i've been listening to american football's first album. for some reason i had it in my head that i didn't like this album/band. probably when i first heard it i was expecting something more like cap'n jazz and just didn't give it a fair go, but damn, this album is amazing.

i had no idea they had reformed and released a couple of new albums until i saw a random youtube recommendation. i'm not quite as into either of the new albums, but there is some good stuff on there too.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Immryr wrote:swervedriver are great, although i've only heard their first two albums. both are great but i think i slightly prefer the first one, raise.

recently i've been listening to american football's first album. for some reason i had it in my head that i didn't like this album/band. probably when i first heard it i was expecting something more like cap'n jazz and just didn't give it a fair go, but damn, this album is amazing.

i had no idea they had reformed and released a couple of new albums until i saw a random youtube recommendation. i'm not quite as into either of the new albums, but there is some good stuff on there too.
I remember giving both Cap'n Jazz and AF a whirl back in the day and not really connecting with either, though what I've read about AF in the years since makes me think I should try again.
versionfiv

Post by versionfiv »

one of the greatest "underground" idm albums ever, Quench - Punctuated on n5md label, 2003.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=O ... 7Z-jadM4AY
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Always my go-to when I'm reorganizing my apartment.

FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

some sky-high peaks on that album for sure! even Valhalla reaching ones. run to the hills is mwah! *italian hand kissing gesture* and Hallowed Be Thy Name is in my top 2 Maiden songs ever.

Not the most balanced I find, but essential nonetheless. I just traded my brand new copy for a friend's first pressing of Piece of Mind, and I'm quite stoked about that. If I miss Number of the Beast then I can just buy it again brand new. That new pressing did sound super good and the sleeve was good quality and it was not expensive, so I may pick it up again. Ahh screw it, I'm ordering it.

Always happy to see peeps rocking out to some Maiden 8) I'm full-on melodic heavy metal/classic metal these days (for the past year akshually) it's all I listen to while working.

AFAIC, Seventh Son down is all really good.

@Immryr : tbh Swervedriver's biggest strenght (of which they have many) might be consistency. not a bad album in the bunch, it's all very good. I highly suggest to everyone interested in them, to check out their whole catalog. They are not one of those many bands who had a great start then faded.

@OmegaFlareX : awesome picks! I love both Failure and Nothing.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

FinalBaton wrote: Always happy to see peeps rocking out to some Maiden 8) I'm full-on melodic heavy metal/classic metal these days (for the past year akshually) it's all I listen to while working.
Hell yeah man. I always been a metal head at heart. I enjoy lots of other stuff, but always come back to the classics. Image
AFAIC, Seventh Son down is all really good.
Problem with maiden is the nadir they achieved with Fear of the Dark.
I've tried to listen to that album so many times and rage quite every one of them.Image It's frustrating when such a good band goes so wrong. The fairly big gap in good quality material really breaks continuity with their classic albums.

Fear not though! They came back and their more recent material is worthy, if not even classic.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

I adore Brave New World. such a strong one.

I thought Book of Souls was pretty competent, other than that there's a song here and there on these later albums but overall they are ''meh'' to me. the one with the tank has an opening song that'd be so strong if it didn't have a chorus that sounded like the theme to a teeny bopper drama... can't shake that off lol

------------------------------

yeah lifelong metalhead here too. I grew up in a household where older brothers would spin Slayer, Celtic Frost and other early thrash and death records constantly. Oh and let's not forget King Diamond. One of my bros is a huge KD/MF fan.

but these days I'm really dedicating a LOT of time listening to classic metal. And speaking of that, I'm in a big KD phase. but yeah I dig all NWOBHM and it's offshoots, speedmetal, etc including a lot of ''hair metal'' which there were many killer bands
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Keep finding shelter in the music by Heinrich Ignaz Franz Biber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCOYaok1vME

Massively hope-bringing, as far as I'm concerned. When discussing Baroque music with my mom some time ago, especially - its phenomenal inclusivity, aptly did she remark that it "doesn't scare anyone". This, I'm sure, was a reaction to fucking nasty things happening all the time when it was new.

Resuscitation by ADULT. Minors at Night... So I believe ADULT. are pretty serious about the stuff they make.
The way out is cut off

vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

King Sunny Ade And His African Beats, "Synchro System."

Nigerian Afrobeat that isn't Fela Kuti. I would describe it as a lot groovier than Kuti, and the electronics in it are more integrated and less of an accent instrument. It's actually a different branch of Afrobeat derived from a particular Nigerian musical tradition called "Juju Music."

This is Afrobeat that's smooth enough to have on in the background and strong enough to stand up to close listening.

He is obviously less known than Kuti, but did receive some amount of attention in the US in the late 1980's having been featured in the Robert Altman film "O.C. & Stiggs." The film was particularly unsuccessful, but it was enough to create some extended publishing for his Island Records output.

I recommend it to anyone who likes Afrobeat or groovy relaxing dance music. He has other more adventurous albums (Juju Music), but Synchro System represents some of the best of what it is.
Spoiler
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

I must have heard something by King Sunny Ade on Polish Radio 2, where Afrobeat is quite represented in certain timeframes (late evenings mostly, but also New Year's Eve and the likes). Some other "ethnic" radio productions on there in this vein included wide representation of music from Borneo's Kalimantan region, contemporary Turkey, Cambodia etc. as well as the proto-hip-hop "black spoken music", Fania Records... The kind of time and space radio travels I got raised on, ages before internet as it's today.

Listening to No Regrets - the Best of Scott Walker and The Walker Brothers.
Spoiler
They don't produce pop music like it anymore...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7MVK7pchvY

...do they? Kudos to then-Wally Stott conducting (and, I suppose, having arranged?) and to Johnny Franz doing production job.
The way out is cut off

vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Obiwanshinobi wrote: They don't produce pop music like it anymore...

...do they? Kudos to then-Wally Stott conducting (and, I suppose, having arranged?) and to Johnny Franz doing production job.
Scott Walker is fantastic. And no, I think he's one of those one-in-a-million type artists that isn't really possible to emulate. I think that there are still plenty ofincredible idiosyncratic musiciansl, but there isn't anything in the whole world that is comparable to someone like Scott Walker.

He's as much a product of his time as he is an anomaly of it.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

I somewhat feel obliged to remember him and Mark Hollis, by a strange coincidence deceased shortly before the former's demise. Who had both excelled at popular music first, only to most-consistently venture into extremely radio-unfriendly territories. For when I was rapidly developing my sensibilities as a listener, both had delivered super-accomplished come-back records, recognised with an utmost reverence by the media I was exposed to at the time. So biding them farewell is like parting with a piece of my youth, to me. Such is the moment of my life when those who had been present ever since I care to remember, are suddenly no more. Must happen to every generation at some point, and now it's my turn.
Take Ennio Morricone for example - only recently was I told he'd been suffering from something of a mis-recognition complex. When his generation of fellow composers were filling great concert halls, he was most fondly rememberd from scoring exploitation films. One of the movies I suggest watching to anyone with particular interest in film scores would be Canone inverso - Making Love. I don't think the way of working on film music employed here is endorsed by film industry anymore.

Currently I'm listening to four Symphonies by Johannes Brahms recorded by NOSPR A.D. 2008/2009, Jerzy Semkow conducting, released as a box last year, which I eventually purchased. It has to be said, I struggle with them a bit. "Invented peace" term someone's come up with when describing Arvo Pärt's music keeps coming to mind. Other words would be "sedate", or "disciplined". I suppose that director represented generation traumatised by awfully corny manner of interpreting Romantic repertoire typical of times when they were young. Here, it's as if his main goal was to keep orchestra from getting overtly emotional. Or as if he couldn't bear listening to anyone else's production of those Symphonies. All the while, I realise that what I'm actually struggling with may be just some habits formed when listening to "my formative" recordings of 3rd and 1st before these. Could be the case of "love worse than diarrhoea".
The way out is cut off

Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »