Little things that annoy the hell out of you

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
TransatlanticFoe

Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

People are allowed to use the control method they're comfortable with. Genuinely no idea why it seems to bother people so much that someone might want to use a gamepad instead of mouse/keyboard. They don't owe anyone an explanation either.
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

I hear that professional call of duty players are moving towards playing on pc, but they banned kb+m.
TransatlanticFoe wrote:People are allowed to use the control method they're comfortable with. Genuinely no idea why it seems to bother people so much that someone might want to use a gamepad instead of mouse/keyboard. They don't owe anyone an explanation either.
You can use whatever you want but they ain't equal. Trying to play FPS competitively on a controller is like showing up to the Tour de France on a tricycle.
TransatlanticFoe

Yeah and if you're an average person rocking up to a professional touring car race in a Formula One car, you'll still get your arse handed to you.

Virtual no-one is playing at a professional level. Average Joe streaming shouldn't be shamed for "handicapping" himself.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

The last time I tried playing KOF98 in Fightcade, I was completely floored by a Yuri player.

Yuri is F-tier in KOF98.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

TransatlanticFoe wrote:They don't owe anyone an explanation either.
I don't think anyone wants one, I certainly didn't ask for one.
TransatlanticFoe wrote: People are allowed to use the control method they're comfortable with.
I couldn't agree more. The general explanation for controllers in COD is akin to putting glass in your shoes to prove you're serious ("Wise Blood" reference). To me, that's not about comfort at all. However, if you want to "compete" in COD, you're using a controller.
Vanguard wrote: I hear that professional call of duty players are moving towards playing on pc, but they banned kb+m.
And that's where the elitism is. That's why "average joe" feels like he has to play with a controller.

Community pressure ≠ comfort.
TransatlanticFoe

But you said it was idiotic and dumb, then posed (albeit as a rhetorical question) why they do it.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

The COD elitist crowd openly profess their reasons for using controllers. If they didn't, the PC m+kb crowd wouldn't be defensive about it.

I'm not heavily enough into the existing debate to feel victimized by the attitude though. For me, it's less of a online-wide situation, and more of a personal one. One of my close friends was a COD enthusiast, and it was a very deep argument between us right up until he got shot in the gut and bled out. (bizarre accidental shooting) I suppose there's something in that conversation that was never finished.

Here he is, in all his 80's skater glory:
Spoiler
IAC, you are totally correct in that I am shitty and wrong for saying it's "dumb." That was reactionary. I shoulda said something like, "it's dumb that people feel like they have to use a controller to play 'correctly' when they would feel more comfortable with m+kb."

Apologies
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

I like having a GPU that refuses to work as it should despite two RMA's and two tech professionals I know taking deep dives to find the problem.
Crashing after 10 minutes of games it should kill is quite nice.
kitten

Post by kitten »

i played tf2 with an xbox 360 controller and was pretty consistently a top medic that got a lot of compliments. i could kill people with the syringe gun better than a lot of people with kbm (by no means an easy feat). it's 100% a disadvantage, but it's just what makes me comfortable - i don't like playing with keyboard and mouse and think that PC in general kind of gears people to what is Most Optimal versus what is enjoyable/accessible/etc. on more than just controllers. this also starts going for FOV, framerate, etc. before long the game is this totally uncanny bizarre perspective as butter-smooth as life so that you have the most premium advantage. looks weird. feels weird. at some point you've got to start questioning why the game even has graphics that aren't perfectly representational hitboxing and start doing stuff like wondering why you need a visible weapon blocking valuable screen visibility, too. call me crazy, but i often prefer 30fps for 3D games (if it's built for 60+, i'll play 60, but i'd rather it not be) because it looks more cinematic, as well.
~Imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Image | Image
~*~*~*~*~*~* If there's a place that I could be ~ Then I'd be another memory *~*~*~*~*~*~
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

I just learned that if you buy an original Xbox game on Microsoft's new storefront on microsoft.com instead of the old one on xbox.com, you don't get a license to play it on the Xbox 360, only the Xbox One. But if you buy it on the old storefront, you get both. What a load of crap. Now I'm sitting here waiting for a refund that I'm not even sure will go through. Argh.
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

kitten wrote:at some point you've got to start questioning why the game even has graphics that aren't perfectly representational hitboxing and start doing stuff like wondering why you need a visible weapon blocking valuable screen visibility, too.
You don't like shooting abstract Piccolos with projectiles being shot from your mouth in an arena on r_picmip 4 that looks like someone's first 3D indie game?
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Windows 10 and Remote desktop.

It seems there is a bug in Windows 10 where your RDP session just disappears and when you try to login again you get a blue screen with a spinning circle which eventually times out with message "Too many remote connections, try again later".

This is seriously screwing us up at work because a lot of us are working from home. The only fix is pulling the plug to my knowledge.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

WelshMegalodon wrote:The last time I tried playing KOF98 in Fightcade, I was completely floored by a Yuri player.
Yuri is F-tier in KOF98.
hahah. F..

Tiers are less applicable the further you get from top level surely. He was probs just a really good player.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Blinge wrote:
WelshMegalodon wrote:The last time I tried playing KOF98 in Fightcade, I was completely floored by a Yuri player.
Yuri is F-tier in KOF98.
hahah. F..

Tiers are less applicable the further you get from top level surely. He was probs just a really good player.
To be fair, the KOF98 tier list is mostly "can you do anything against a good Iori/Daimon/Chizuru/Chris player?" from what I've seen.

As an aside, I'm reminded of my most painful Fightcade memory, getting turbo murdered by a Mai player. Can't remember the other characters on the team, because I never fought them.
Genuinely was the worst loss I've ever experienced in any video game ever. Three flawless triple-perfect rounds. Relentless pressure.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
BIL

Post by BIL »

As an aside, I'm reminded of my most painful Fightcade memory, getting turbo murdered by a Mai player. Can't remember the other characters on the team, because I never fought them.
Genuinely was the worst loss I've ever experienced in any video game ever. Three flawless triple-perfect rounds. Relentless pressure.
But were you caught on camera? Image

emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Everytime you need to just do something quickly on your laptop, it takes forever to boot up. Or Windows 10 has decided a reboot is convenient. :evil:
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Games that s l o w l y scroll messages, particularly information on items in menus, etc.
Spoiler
P

u

l

l

S

t

a

r

t

V

i

b

r

a

t

o

r

-

A

n

A

n

c

i

e

n

t

w

e

a

p

o

n

o

f

t

h

e

B

u

l

l

D

y

k

e

C

l

a

n

k

n

o

w

n

t

o

i

n

j

u

r

e

f

o

o

l

h

a

r

d

y

w

i

e

l

d

e

r

s

^^^ THATS HOW IT MAKE ME FEEL >W< I can read a fuck sight quicker than these godless animal cunts allow :shock:

I'll express my barely-containable first world rage via the universal medium of Corrado Soprano as portrayed by Dom Chianese. Image
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

I know that in the case of Dracula II, the scrolling speed was set with Japanese in mind. So lazy localizers are the ones to blame.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

How the Marvel website is a terrible place to look for information about marvel comic characters and release history.

It's always been terrible, but when Disney took over, instead of fixing the site, they just slapped the movie actors faces all over everything on the same turd of a website.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

BIL wrote:Games that s l o w l y scroll messages, particularly information on items in menus, etc.
Spoiler
P

u

l

l

S

t

a

r

t

V

i

b

r

a

t

o

r

-

A

n

A

n

c

i

e

n

t

w

e

a

p

o

n

o

f

t

h

e

B

u

l

l

D

y

k

e

C

l

a

n

k

n

o

w

n

t

o

i

n

j

u

r

e

f

o

o

l

h

a

r

d

y

w

i

e

l

d

e

r

s

^^^ THATS HOW IT MAKE ME FEEL >W< I can read a fuck sight quicker than these godless animal cunts allow :shock:

I'll express my barely-containable first world rage via the universal medium of Corrado Soprano as portrayed by Dom Chianese. Image
If it's done for style reasons and the information being scrolled isn't actually that important, I'm fine with it.
but otherwise, yeah, it's balls
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

l i t t l e m o n e y is my favorite instance of this horrible issue.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
o.pwuaioc

Post by o.pwuaioc »

null1024 wrote:If it's done for style reasons and the information being scrolled isn't actually that important, I'm fine with it.
but otherwise, yeah, it's balls
By the same token, unskippable beginning scenes are always annoying. I know the story! I'm just playing the game again!!
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

trap15 wrote:l i t t l e m o n e y is my favorite instance of this horrible issue.
lol what the hell
BIL

Post by BIL »

trap15 wrote:l i t t l e m o n e y is my favorite instance of this horrible issue.
Jesus :shock: :lol:

The Theme of Little Money :cool:
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

On the topic of scrolling text and opening sequences (and little annoying things), you know about Twin Goddesses right?

If not then, enjoy the cringe :)
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Hype.

Julia is marvelous, but the "just as fast as C++" thing is still rather misleading. First, people tout all the quality of life features it inherits from scripting. Next, they throw out these performance claims with no qualifiers.

Yes. As the author abandons the features of Julia and accepts more and more C++ inconvenience, the code gets faster. Probably should mention that you're using a corked bat. If I have to resist the temptation to use the features, it's a pretty big caveat.
https://flow.byu.edu/posts/julia-c++

Still a better tool than C++ for crunching numbers. I just hate the "Easy as Python and fast as C++" bullshit that everyone is spewing. That isn't really true and how could it be? You can't have both.
We apologise for the inconvenience
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

People who let the water run with no need when doing the dishes or washing their hands. As in, turn on the tap and wet their hands quickly, then apply soap AWAY FROM THE WATER WHILE IT'S GOING STRAIGHT INTO THE DRAIN AND THEY TAKE FOREVER LATHERING THEIR HANDS AND WASTING PERFECTLY CLEAN WATER, then they rinse and turn off the tap.

An in-law of mine has the habit of letting the water run while she's wiping the stove and counters, because she needs to rinse the rag or her hands from time to time. HOW ABOUT TURNING OFF THE TAP WHEN YOU DON'T NEED TO WET OR RINSE SOMETHING, YOU... YOU... NIMRODS????!!!! :evil:
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

People who insist on playing a game drunk, then bitching about how much the game sucks when they're failing because they've simply forgotten basic mechanics they were taught earlier.

Bayonetta, Chapter 3: flaming enemies show up that hurt you if you use basic melee hits on them outside of Witch Time after a dodge. Player insists on running up and repeatedly getting himself hurt by attempting to punch them and failing, claims terrible game mechanics, game isn't worth the $5 he paid, the game's too slow to respond to his dodges, etc. Also keeps stepping in the lava instead of going somewhere there's not lava. All this instead of:

a) Mash the fucking X button and gun them from afar.

b) Hold punch or kick buttons to shoot at them with combos from afar.

d) Rotate the analog stick 360 degrees and press punch or kick to again, shoot at them from afar.

There's more ways such as not sucking at dodging to deal with them, but there's at least 3 basic ways to fight them without needing perfect dodging the game explicitly tutorials you on at the start that he's not even attempting. FFS.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

kane wrote:The 238 cinematic trailers I need to scroll past before getting to some actual fucking screenshots at your game store of choice.
I hate that. For me, it's just as bad going to Netflix and having the full volume video playing while I'm trying to think of something to watch.

I seriously wish they would let us do an alphabetic list of all shows. Also on Steam like the OG interface used to have.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Trying to drink PG Tips when you're used to Yorkshire.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart