Koryuu (Composite & S-Video to YPbPr Transcoder) Coming 2020

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
ldeveraux

Re: Koryuu (Composite & S-Video to YPbPr Transcoder) Coming

Post by ldeveraux »

megari wrote:Please forgive me for the thread necromancy. It has taken me far too long to address the issues people have brought up.

A public test firmware version has been released. If you're interested, please see the release notes and download the firmware images here.

Some highlights are fixes related to interlaced/progressive mode transitions, (hopefully) NTSC field reversal and saving current settings on the EEPROM, automagically loaded and applied on start-up.

Have fun! :)
Thanks for the update Megari!

I have an Olimex on order but wanted to build the files so I was ready to flash when it arrived. I'm on Ubuntu and get as far as building the firmware using

Code: Select all

make build_hex
, but I get this warning below. I shouldn't need to edit the Makefile prior to building because I'm using the same Olimex as you, right? Is this warning OK?

Also, does this previous change still apply to today's update?
- When there is no sync on the current input, the Koryuu outputs no signal.

from main.cpp:4:
vendor/yaal/include/yaal/io/types/adc.hh:25:4: warning: #warning "For various reasons you have ADC subsystem disabled. So pin.analog won't work." [-Wcpp]
 #  warning "For various reasons you have ADC subsystem disabled. So pin.analog won't work."
megari

Post by megari »

ldeveraux wrote:
megari wrote:Please forgive me for the thread necromancy. It has taken me far too long to address the issues people have brought up.

A public test firmware version has been released. If you're interested, please see the release notes and download the firmware images here.

Some highlights are fixes related to interlaced/progressive mode transitions, (hopefully) NTSC field reversal and saving current settings on the EEPROM, automagically loaded and applied on start-up.

Thanks for the update Megari!

I have an Olimex on order but wanted to build the files so I was ready to flash when it arrived. I'm on Ubuntu and get as far as building the firmware using

make build_hex
, but I get this warning below. I shouldn't need to edit the Makefile prior to building because I'm using the same Olimex as you, right? Is this warning OK?

Also, does this previous change still apply to today's update?
- When there is no sync on the current input, the Koryuu outputs no signal.

from main.cpp:4:
vendor/yaal/include/yaal/io/types/adc.hh:25:4: warning: #warning "For various reasons you have ADC subsystem disabled. So pin.analog won't work." [-Wcpp]
 #  warning "For various reasons you have ADC subsystem disabled. So pin.analog won't work."
The warning is OK and entirely expected. It is an issue with a work-in-progress feature (convenient access to analog pins or PWM pins) in the underlying YAAL framework, and does not affect the Koryuu firmware in any way.

Disabling video output on no video input is a feature the firmware supports, but can currently only be enabled either by manipulating the EEPROM (possibly by using a custom firmware) or using the koryuu-fw_ntp.hex image, which enables this feature unconditionally. Making this user-configurable while the unit is running is a matter of coming up with a way to express this using the two buttons on the Koryuu. Any ideas are welcome.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

megari wrote:Disabling video output on no video input is a feature the firmware supports, but can currently only be enabled either by manipulating the EEPROM (possibly by using a custom firmware) or using the koryuu-fw_ntp.hex image, which enables this feature unconditionally. Making this user-configurable while the unit is running is a matter of coming up with a way to express this using the two buttons on the Koryuu. Any ideas are welcome.
I guess my question is does your newest update today disable video output on no video input? Or do I need to do something else before flashing once the device arrives?
megari

Post by megari »

ldeveraux wrote:
megari wrote:Disabling video output on no video input is a feature the firmware supports, but can currently only be enabled either by manipulating the EEPROM (possibly by using a custom firmware) or using the koryuu-fw_ntp.hex image, which enables this feature unconditionally. Making this user-configurable while the unit is running is a matter of coming up with a way to express this using the two buttons on the Koryuu. Any ideas are welcome.
I guess my question is does your newest update today disable video output on no video input? Or do I need to do something else before flashing once the device arrives?
I see this may be a bit confusing. The answer is just a little bit complicated, as it depends on a choice you'll make. I'll try to express it as simply as I can.

The ZIP file, downloadable from the Github release page linked in the initial post for this test firmware release, contains two alternative firmware images:
  • koryuu-fw_default.hex: The default version of the firmware. Does not disable video output when there is no input. Rather than that, it shows the colored test pattern. [See caveat]
  • koryuu-fw_ntp.hex: The No Test Pattern version of the firmware. Unconditionally disables video output when there is no input.
Pick one depending on which behavior you desire.

([Caveat]: If the settings stored on the on-chip EEPROM have the "disable output if no input" setting on, then the setting will be applied on start-up. This is not really something that you can do accidentally, as the settings are checksummed and your old firmware version never stored any settings in the first place.)
Last edited by megari on Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
megari

Post by megari »

Oh, one additional note: if you wish for any settings stored on the EEPROM to be preserved over future firmware updates, it is best to set the EESAVE hfuse bit, so reprogramming the flash won't wipe the EEPROM:

avrdude -p atmega328p -P usb  -c avrispmkII -U lfuse:w:0x62:m -U hfuse:w:0xd1:m -U efuse:w:0xff:m
Please make sure to select the appropriate parameters for -P and -c if you have a different programmer.
Also, make sure to apply exactly the fuse settings above. With bad luck, It is possible to brick the MCU by applying the wrong fuse bits. It may be best to try flashing the new firmware first to make sure that your programming setup is reliable.

If you're unsure, please do consult your local hacker familiar with the process.

ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

megari wrote:Oh, one additional note: if you wish for any settings stored on the EEPROM to be preserved over future firmware updates, it is best to set the EESAVE hfuse bit, so reprogramming the flash won't wipe the EEPROM:

avrdude -p atmega328p -P usb  -c avrispmkII -U lfuse:w:0x62:m -U hfuse:w:0xd1:m -U efuse:w:0xff:m
Please make sure to select the appropriate parameters for -P and -c if you have a different programmer.
Also, make sure to apply exactly the fuse settings above. With bad luck, It is possible to brick the MCU by applying the wrong fuse bits. It may be best to try flashing the new firmware first to make sure that your programming setup is reliable.

If you're unsure, please do consult your local hacker familiar with the process.

You are my local hacker familiar with the process! The Olimex arrived today, the 6-pin cable isn't keyed, which way does it attach to the Koryuu? Will it break if I put on the wrong way? If I want to flash the firmware that disables video out when no video in exists, can I just download the package, rename koryuu-fw_ntp.hex to koryuu-fw.hex and proceed to build/make? I just follow the instructions in your wiki after that?

Sorry for all the questions, never done this before obviously. Should I just power on the Koryuu when I plug in the Olimex to my Linux box?
megari

Post by megari »

ldeveraux wrote:
megari wrote:Oh, one additional note: if you wish for any settings stored on the EEPROM to be preserved over future firmware updates, it is best to set the EESAVE hfuse bit, so reprogramming the flash won't wipe the EEPROM:

You are my local hacker familiar with the process! The Olimex arrived today, the 6-pin cable isn't keyed, which way does it attach to the Koryuu? Will it break if I put on the wrong way? If I want to flash the firmware that disables video out when no video in exists, can I just download the package, rename koryuu-fw_ntp.hex to koryuu-fw.hex and proceed to build/make? I just follow the instructions in your wiki after that?

Sorry for all the questions, never done this before obviously. Should I just power on the Koryuu when I plug in the Olimex to my Linux box?
No problem, I'll try to help you the best I can.

The physical setup for the programmer is detailed here: Koryuu programmer tips
There are also some helpful pointers in junkerhq's Koryuu wiki article.
If the pictures and diagrams behind the two links above still leave you uncertain regarding the orientation of the ICSP connector, please note that it can be considered to have the keying point towards the input side (and buttons) of the Koryuu. Also, pin 1 is usually marked somehow on the cable and the connector itself. This, along with the ICSP pin diagram, may help you along.

If you wish to build the firmware image yourself, you the instructions on Github are a good starting point.
Spoiler
... but there is also the option of using one of the images in the release ZIP file.

If you opt to use the prebuilt image, you can invoke avrdude like so, even outside the git repository:

avrdude -p atmega328p -P usb  -c avrispmkII -U flash:w:koryuu-fw_ntp.hex
The incantation simply means: for part atmega328p, using an avrispmkII-type programmer over USB, write koryuu-fw_ntp.hex to the flash memory.
If you wish to build the "NTP" image yourself and use the build system for updating the firmware, it should be as simple as:

git checkout fw_1.1-test0
make build_hex_ntp program
This builds the "NTP" variant of the firmware and flashes the firmware on the MCU onboard the Koryuu.

Please let me know if you run into any trouble. Have fun! :)
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

megari wrote: No problem, I'll try to help you the best I can.

The physical setup for the programmer is detailed here: Koryuu programmer tips
There are also some helpful pointers in junkerhq's Koryuu wiki article.
If the pictures and diagrams behind the two links above still leave you uncertain regarding the orientation of the ICSP connector, please note that it can be considered to have the keying point towards the input side (and buttons) of the Koryuu. Also, pin 1 is usually marked somehow on the cable and the connector itself. This, along with the ICSP pin diagram, may help you along.

If you wish to build the firmware image yourself, you the instructions on Github are a good starting point.
Spoiler
... but there is also the option of using one of the images in the release ZIP file.

If you opt to use the prebuilt image, you can invoke avrdude like so, even outside the git repository:

avrdude -p atmega328p -P usb  -c avrispmkII -U flash:w:koryuu-fw_ntp.hex
The incantation simply means: for part atmega328p, using an avrispmkII-type programmer over USB, write koryuu-fw_ntp.hex to the flash memory.
If you wish to build the "NTP" image yourself and use the build system for updating the firmware, it should be as simple as:

This builds the "NTP" variant of the firmware and flashes the firmware on the MCU onboard the Koryuu.

I didn't know I needed a 10 pin to 6 pin adapter, so I have one on order. I thought the Olimex 6 pin cable was what I'd use.

To update my Koryuu with the "NTP" image, I'd first build the image with:

Then flash with avrdude? The JunkerHQ wiki uses Khazama, so I figured I'd ask.

Complicating things more, your github page just says:
"Flashing the built firmware can be accomplished by the command:"

make program
megari

Post by megari »

ldeveraux wrote:
megari wrote: If you wish to build the "NTP" image yourself and use the build system for updating the firmware, it should be as simple as:

I didn't know I needed a 10 pin to 6 pin adapter, so I have one on order. I thought the Olimex 6 pin cable was what I'd use.
Ah, indeed. Now that I think of it, mine did not ship with such a cable either, but I must've already had one at hand.
ldeveraux wrote: To update my Koryuu with the "NTP" image, I'd first build the image with:

Then flash with avrdude?
The command line above does the flashing for you, so no need to run avrdude manually. It basically runs two targets in Makefile back-to-back, as if you had run them sequentially one-by-one like so:

make build_hex_ntp  # Builds the firmware image
make program # Invokes avrdude with the appropriate parameters and flashes the freshly-built firmware
If you are not very familiar with build systems on Linux (and most other POSIX-like OSes), I recommend reading a bit about make, Makefiles etc, as they are a rather common occurrence in various tasks involving development and automation in Linux and other POSIX-likes.
ldeveraux wrote:The JunkerHQ wiki uses Khazama, so I figured I'd ask.
The instructions on the JunkerHQ wiki are Windows-specific, and Khazama does not seem to have been updated in a long while. It also appears to be hard-wired to a specific programmer, despite having a full avrdude binary embedded within itself.

Just for the record, for Windows users, my suggestion would be to try AVRDUDESS, possibly after installing drivers for your programmer using Zadig.
ldeveraux wrote: Complicating things more, your github page just says:
"Flashing the built firmware can be accomplished by the command:"

make program
That simply flashes the firmware after it has been built [1]. Please note that the "program" target is the latter one of the two targets run in my last message.

[1] To be more precise, the "program" target depends on having a built firmware .hex image, so if none has been built yet, it will actually automatically build one (with the default settings) and then do the flashing. Make is built exactly for these sorts of things where there are dependencies between different components or processes within a project.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

@megari

The git checkout seemed to work, it selected the correct fw.

When I try to make build_hex_ntp program, I get this series of errors:

https://imgur.com/a/HRrhLen

Is there any reason I can't use the 6-pin cable from the Olimex instead of the 10-pin to 6-pin cable and converter?
megari

Post by megari »

ldeveraux wrote:@megari

It seems that the yaal submodule is not in sync with the fw_1.1-test0 branch. That sometimes happens. Submodules may need updating after changing branches, which is done like so:

git submodule update --recursive
Or, to do a branch checkout and a submodule update in one go (requires a sufficiently new git version):

git checkout desired_branch --recurse-submodules
ldeveraux wrote: Is there any reason I can't use the 6-pin cable from the Olimex instead of the 10-pin to 6-pin cable and converter?
The electrical connections and protocols on the ICSP10, PDI and TDI ports are different. The pins in the different connectors do not seem to be electrically connected to each other in a way that plugging the supplied 6-pin cable to the PDI or TDI ports would work for ICSP purposes. Please see the Olimex AVR-ISP-MK2 schematic to confirm.

It is possible to manually rig a 10-pin to 6-pin converter, though. It just requires six female-to-male or female-to-female jumper wires which are connected between the programmer and the 6-pin cable or between the programmer and the Koryuu, respectively.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

megari wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:@megari

It seems that the yaal submodule is not in sync with the fw_1.1-test0 branch. That sometimes happens. Submodules may need updating after changing branches, which is done like so:

git submodule update --recursive
Or, to do a branch checkout and a submodule update in one go (requires a sufficiently new git version):

git checkout desired_branch --recurse-submodules
ldeveraux wrote: Is there any reason I can't use the 6-pin cable from the Olimex instead of the 10-pin to 6-pin cable and converter?
The electrical connections and protocols on the ICSP10, PDI and TDI ports are different. The pins in the different connectors do not seem to be electrically connected to each other in a way that plugging the supplied 6-pin cable to the PDI or TDI ports would work for ICSP purposes. Please see the Olimex AVR-ISP-MK2 schematic to confirm.

It is possible to manually rig a 10-pin to 6-pin converter, though. It just requires six female-to-male or female-to-female jumper wires which are connected between the programmer and the 6-pin cable or between the programmer and the Koryuu, respectively.
Ah yes, this worked perfectly! No video output when the system behind it is off! So to update in the future, all I need to do is checkout with the branch I want with the --recurse-submodules flag, then make build_I_want program to flash the chip?

Not sure if this was addressed, but the settings aren't saved when the power is toggled. Is there a way to set it to power on with the last selections from the "option" and "input change" buttons? Or at this point should I just leave the device on all the time now that there's no output without input?
megari

Post by megari »

ldeveraux wrote: Ah yes, this worked perfectly! No video output when the system behind it is off! So to update in the future, all I need to do is checkout with the branch I want with the --recurse-submodules flag, then make build_I_want program to flash the chip?
Correct.
ldeveraux wrote: Not sure if this was addressed, but the settings aren't saved when the power is toggled. Is there a way to set it to power on with the last selections from the "option" and "input change" buttons? Or at this point should I just leave the device on all the time now that there's no output without input?
To save the current settings (input, pedestal, smoothing), press both buttons simultaneously. The saved settings are loaded on startup. This is explained in a bit more detail in the release notes:
  • To save current settings, press the INPUT_CHANGE and OPT buttons simultaneously.
    • This is a bit timing-sensitive, which has been mitigated by requiring the buttons to be pressed a bit longer than before, but this requires careful balancing, as making the buttons any "laggier" may make the buttons feel unresponsive in other contexts. Any feedback regarding the "feel" of the buttons is welcome.
    • After hitting the button combo successfully, LEDs flash a few times.
    • On failure to hit the button combo, the input/pedestal setting and/or the smoothing setting changes, as if one or both of the buttons had been hit separately.
It should be fine to just leave the Koryuu on, although, as a matter of principle, I can't go as far as to recommend that. As with any electronic device, there is a non-zero probability of something going catastrophically wrong while a device is left unobserved in a powered-on state (although a low-voltage video transcoder such as Koryuu is pretty far down the list of electric appliances likely to burn your house down). It is your prerogative to choose the level of risk you are willing to accept.
RuffNEC

Post by RuffNEC »

how handles this united interlaced signals from example a Composite Laserdisc player? Would it output 480i? How good and video noise free would be the signal?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

RuffNEC wrote:how handles this united interlaced signals from example a Composite Laserdisc player? Would it output 480i? How good and video noise free would be the signal?
The output video mode should match the input video mode. Since your LD player outputs composite video, which will be 480i, the Koryuu will also output 480i.

Regarding LD playback, this was posted earlier in this thread:
orange808 wrote:About laserdisks:
The composite comb filter in the Koryuu is already an absolute deal breaker for home theatre use. It's not good for that, so the sampling options wouldn't do much for LD fans. If we ignore latency (something I would never do), the Koryuu comb filter isn't good.
parodius

Post by parodius »

megari wrote:
Lawfer wrote:Can it output RGsB?
Technically, yes. This requires a small modification to the firmware, though. For instance, the Option button could be repurposed to switch between YPbPr and RGsB.

The firmware is modifiable and can be updated quite easily with an AVR ISP programmer. The required information will be provided soon, but requires some time (which I have very little of nowadays) to prepare. Please be patient and stay tuned. :)
Any chance of someone being able to help adding support for RGsB ?
Otherwise there is still the option to chain it with a comp2rgb...

Edit : oh it's C++ so I had a quick look at the source code & DAC datasheet...
Is it just a matter of adding a

// Register 0x02 : select RGB output (bit #5 => 0), enable Sync on RGB (bit #4 => 1)
    I2C_WRITE(encoder.address, 0x02, 0x10);
somewhere during initialization, or is there more to it, like disabling some of the YPbPr options ?

The description of register 0x02 bit #4 enabled is a bit surprising :

Sync on all RGB outputs.
Does it mean we could actually end up getting RsGsBs ?
My sales thread : 2020/07/20..MASTER.VER.
vrunk11

Post by vrunk11 »

I tried to find where are the encoder output option in the source code for change to RGB but i didn't found anything's that match the DAC data sheet i also quite not understand how the ADV 7280A works with the ADV 7391 cause the 7391 already have CVBS and S-VIDEO input
vrunk11

Post by vrunk11 »

I have made a Custom firmware focused on Laserdisc and analog video with adaptive filtering option to switch between (CVBS,Y,C) [pal-60] and (YPbPr) Output by pressing the 2 button at the same time and i changed the button option for switching between NTSC-M and NTSC-JP i also added ire -7.5 for the composite out and Replace the pedestal by the ACE (Automatic contrast enhancement) (I also enabled double buffering)

got some problem for now with progressive input that show gray, I hope to fix that later

Are you interested in that fork ?
https://github.com/vrunk11/koryuu-fw/re ... Video_V1.0
megari

Post by megari »

parodius wrote:
megari wrote:
Lawfer wrote:Can it output RGsB?
Technically, yes. This requires a small modification to the firmware, though. For instance, the Option button could be repurposed to switch between YPbPr and RGsB.

The firmware is modifiable and can be updated quite easily with an AVR ISP programmer. The required information will be provided soon, but requires some time (which I have very little of nowadays) to prepare. Please be patient and stay tuned. :)
Any chance of someone being able to help adding support for RGsB ?
Otherwise there is still the option to chain it with a comp2rgb...
Sorry for not getting back to this topic. COVID-19-related issues combined with being busy with my day job have left me with little free time and energy.
Edit : oh it's C++ so I had a quick look at the source code & DAC datasheet...
Is it just a matter of adding a

// Register 0x02 : select RGB output (bit #5 => 0), enable Sync on RGB (bit #4 => 1)
    I2C_WRITE(encoder.address, 0x02, 0x10);
somewhere during initialization, or is there more to it, like disabling some of the YPbPr options ?
It should be quite straight-forward, using the bits mentioned, but I will have to reread the datasheet to confirm the details.

The description of register 0x02 bit #4 enabled is a bit surprising :

Sync on all RGB outputs.
Does it mean we could actually end up getting RsGsBs ?
That (RsGsBs) is my interpretation, too. I haven't had access to an oscilloscope for quite a while, so have not been able to confirm, though. I am not sure, but it may be the case that the output is RGsB with both bit 4 and bit 5 unset.
megari

Post by megari »

vrunk11 wrote:I tried to find where are the encoder output option in the source code for change to RGB but i didn't found anything's that match the DAC data sheet i also quite not understand how the ADV 7280A works with the ADV 7391 cause the 7391 already have CVBS and S-VIDEO input
I think there is some confusion here. The ADV7391 is a video DAC, and does not have any analog inputs. The ADV7280A is a video ADC, and is used to feed digitized video data to the ADV7391, which will then output YPbPr.
megari

Post by megari »

vrunk11 wrote:I have made a Custom firmware focused on Laserdisc and analog video with adaptive filtering option to switch between (CVBS,Y,C) [pal-60] and (YPbPr) Output by pressing the 2 button at the same time and i changed the button option for switching between NTSC-M and NTSC-JP i also added ire -7.5 for the composite out and Replace the pedestal by the ACE (Automatic contrast enhancement) (I also enabled double buffering)

got some problem for now with progressive input that show gray, I hope to fix that later

Are you interested in that fork ?
https://github.com/vrunk11/koryuu-fw/re ... Video_V1.0
Thanks for working on improvements to the firmware. I'm reading through your changes.

Progressive input, apart from 240p/288p, is not supposed to be supported through CVBS or S-Video by the ADV7280A. Creative use of both input connectors, some changes to the firmware and a custom adapter might allow one to feed in progressive component video, though.
vrunk11

Post by vrunk11 »

megari wrote: Thanks for working on improvements to the firmware. I'm reading through your changes.

Progressive input, apart from 240p/288p, is not supposed to be supported through CVBS or S-Video by the ADV7280A. Creative use of both input connectors, some changes to the firmware and a custom adapter might allow one to feed in progressive component video, though.
I'm already looking into it for component input i'm waiting (S-Video breakout cable) for testing

as for the progressive input (my laserdisc player output 240P for logo and pause screen) and the issue is that my crt didn't show any colors (in cvbs) but the ossc does (in component) so maybe its related to the CSFL (color subcarrier frequency lock)

i got somme other issue to fix and new things to add

i also had mistake and useless things on my github release i hope to fix that and maybe getting a cleaner code to read

I saw you write somme info on a terminal and use a debug mode how do you use it ? is it related to the evaluation board ?