So what is the deal with M2 Shot Triggers? Any new games?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Marc

Re: So what is the deal with M2 Shot Triggers? Any new games

Post by Marc »

Bassa-Bassa wrote:They are.
Jonpachi wrote:I've had so much fun with the TG16 mini and Megadrive mini this year that, honestly, I think it's a totally fair trade. We're lucky to even be getting things like HD versions of Sapphire, MUSHA, Spriggan, Slap Fight MD, etc. I can't even hate. Take your time M2.
A "totally fair trade"? Not getting ever home versions of some of the best arcade games in history due to having them dedicated to porting once and again the same home games which could be already played in many other better ways, "HD" or not? Kidding, right?

The time they're taking is all of it, they've stated more than once that arcade ports and original M2 titles had to be placed in the fridge due to the minis (and the laughable Sega Ages of the recent years). That's your trade.
You're going to have to help me out here, and explain just what is so 'laughable' about the Sega Ages series.

Brilliant ports with some thoughtful additions - 60fps OutRun ad Virtua Racing, G-Loc arrange mode....
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
geremy

Post by geremy »

Sega Ages Fantasy Zone is pretty much the best port ever IMO.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

Nooo, a company can't just get subcontracted constantly due to being in high demand! They have to do exactly what I want because I understand nothing about the business world.

It's almost like subcontracted work has deadlines and pay involved rather than in-house projects that they can take their time with.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
Ice Beam

Post by Ice Beam »

M2 Shottriggers live stream tomorrow:

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/09/m2-shot ... ptember-16

Check out the schedule:

20:00 to 20:10 – Opening Greeting
20:10 to 20:20 – Ketsui Deathtiny: Kizuna Jigoku-Tachi (PS4) Latest Information
20:20 to 20:30 – Taito Talk Corner (with guest Yuuichi Toyama)
20:30 to 20:40 – M2 ShotTriggers New Update #1
20:40 to 21:00 – Game Gear Micro Latest Information (wth guest Yousuke Okunari)
21:00 to 21:15 – M2 ShotTriggers New Update #2

Assumption: the Ketsui latest information is a worldwide release.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Elixir wrote:Nooo, a company can't just get subcontracted constantly due to being in high demand! They have to do exactly what I want because I understand nothing about the business world.
As a consumer I don't think it's unfair to take the viewpoint of a consumer.

What could we discuss regarding potential upcoming releases on an internet forum outside of what we wish from them? At least, that's a lot more interesting to me than discussing economically optimal business practices.

But maybe that's just me.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I don't know if we're going to have any news on Aleste Branch...
BIL

Post by BIL »

Yeah, that'd really be going out on a limb :o
Spoiler
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I’m still fucking waiting!
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Do they make any announcements about Western releases on these streams?

Because after months of waiting, I got tired of it and ordered the physical Switch import version of ESP Ra.De.

Like 25 minutes ago.
DietSoap

Post by DietSoap »

Sengoku Strider wrote:Do they make any announcements about Western releases on these streams?

Because after months of waiting, I got tired of it and ordered the physical Switch import version of ESP Ra.De.

Like 25 minutes ago.
I dunno, but if they announce a localization of anything, it'll probably be Deathtiny.

Source: my ass.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Marc wrote:
Bassa-Bassa wrote:They are.
Jonpachi wrote:I've had so much fun with the TG16 mini and Megadrive mini this year that, honestly, I think it's a totally fair trade. We're lucky to even be getting things like HD versions of Sapphire, MUSHA, Spriggan, Slap Fight MD, etc. I can't even hate. Take your time M2.
A "totally fair trade"? Not getting ever home versions of some of the best arcade games in history due to having them dedicated to porting once and again the same home games which could be already played in many other better ways, "HD" or not? Kidding, right?

The time they're taking is all of it, they've stated more than once that arcade ports and original M2 titles had to be placed in the fridge due to the minis (and the laughable Sega Ages of the recent years). That's your trade.
You're going to have to help me out here, and explain just what is so 'laughable' about the Sega Ages series.
Very few games which didn't already have a near perfect home version and really questionable picks overall. The fact they chose the worst system in the market for port accuracy already says it all anyway.

Elixir wrote:Nooo, a company can't just get subcontracted constantly due to being in high demand! They have to do exactly what I want because I understand nothing about the business world.

It's almost like subcontracted work has deadlines and pay involved rather than in-house projects that they can take their time with.
So, not only you missed my point, but you didn't even bother reading the whole conversation. Nice post.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Bassa-Bassa wrote:Very few games which didn't already have a near perfect home version and really questionable picks overall. The fact they chose the worst system in the market for port accuracy already says it all anyway.
Great if you still have a Saturn / DC / PS2 whatever linked up. I currently don't, so those previous 'near perfect' ports are absolutely jack all use to me. I now have 'perfect' ports on a modern system, with some well-considered additions, at a decent price point. Unsure what exactly there is to get worked up about here, other than your irrational hate-boner for Nintendo. And trying render the existence of these ports as some sort of miss-step, while using phrases like 'worst system for port accuracy', and 'near-perfect' in the same sentence..... Are these 'near-perfect' ports acceptable? If so, then the one's on Switch are even better. Admit it... you've not played a single one have you?

As you said, good post indeed.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
djsheep

Post by djsheep »

Aleste Collection coming to Switch & PS4 and also a Game Gear Micro loaded with the games.
Mero

Post by Mero »

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/09/data-ea ... -announced

5 Data East games announced:

Zaviga
B-Wings
Metal Clash
Last Mission
Psycho-Nics Oscar
Last edited by Mero on Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Everyone was really waiting for that Metal Clash ShotTriggers announcement :D

(low-key excited for psycho-nics oscar tbh)
BIL

Post by BIL »

I always mix up Act-Fancer and Psychonics Oscar, weird-ass muhfuckin names :oops: With ACA covering TRIO TEH PUNCH: NEVAR 4GET ME, the march towards Wolf Fang and Thunder Zone (and KARNOV :shock:) continues apace! Image
Sumez wrote:(low-key excited for psycho-nics oscar tbh)
Yeah me too! :O

Wait. Where the fuck is Nitro Balls. M2 get on it. (■`ω´■)

Looking forward to that Aleste collection, assuming it covers the MSX stuff! Already got all the console stuff, though as always, I buy M2's work on principle. Convenient and shiet, you know how it be. Image
Last edited by BIL on Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

Looks like a North American release for Ketsui is coming.

https://twitter.com/dengekionline/statu ... 0034570244
Zeether

Post by Zeether »

Aleste collection is just the 2 Master System games and the Game Gear ones.
<Aquas> EDMOND DROPPED OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL TO SMOKE COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF OPIUM
<Zeether> shoe failed college again <croikle> credit feed
BIL

Post by BIL »

Balls! Ah well. Actually, I'd assumed the GG ones might be exclusive to the Mini unit, so that's even better in a way!
Sengoku Strider

BIL wrote: Looking forward to that Aleste collection, assuming it covers the MSX stuff!
It doesn't look like it, seems to be entirely Sega-centric. The trailer said it was the Mark III version of Aleste, GG Aleste I & II from the Game Gear, and Power Strike II from the Master System, which was developed by Compile but only came out in PAL territories in 1993 after the console was history in Japan & NA. No 16-bit stuff either.
BIL

Post by BIL »

TBH that's slightly better for me, since Power Strike II's the only console Aleste I don't have. :lol: I wonder if they'll include a 50hz/60hz switch for it.

Would've been nice to get the MSX original plus Aleste II and Gaiden. The first's Mark III version isn't accurate to the MSX, to hear our resident MSX diehard Shatterhand tell it (I do like it for what it is, see also the FDS+NES versions of Zanac). As for Aleste II and Gaiden, dunno if they ever left MSX.

Still, not too surprising. Although the games included are impeccably emulated, the Dracula collection was noticeably gappy with the lack of the MSX2 game (and the first two's FDS versions, to be picky).

Seems there's an unfulfilled niche for Japanese PC emulation on home consoles. Would kill for just a Konami set including The Maze of Galious (as with Dracula, that one's FC version is completely and utterly different).
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Marc wrote:
Bassa-Bassa wrote:Very few games which didn't already have a near perfect home version and really questionable picks overall. The fact they chose the worst system in the market for port accuracy already says it all anyway.
Great if you still have a Saturn / DC / PS2 whatever linked up. I currently don't, so those previous 'near perfect' ports are absolutely jack all use to me. I now have 'perfect' ports on a modern system, with some well-considered additions, at a decent price point. Unsure what exactly there is to get worked up about here, other than your irrational hate-boner for Nintendo. And trying render the existence of these ports as some sort of miss-step, while using phrases like 'worst system for port accuracy', and 'near-perfect' in the same sentence..... Are these 'near-perfect' ports acceptable? If so, then the one's on Switch are even better. Admit it... you've not played a single one have you?

Seems yours is better though? You're basically serving to beautifully illustrate my point.

Me: "It's a shame that quality developers like M2 waste their time and efforts porting once and again games already ported which anyone with the minimal interest can already get in a better form instead of dedicating those to some of the best arcade-only games, some of which have even been already announced/teased."

You: "I'm not such a big fan since it's too much trouble to link up an old system hence I'll use my Nintendo Switch no matter what".

No matter if even M2 themselves have stated that Nintendo's console is underpowered for optimal input latancy figures, it seems.

Hope it's rational enough for you now, but I can chew it up a bit more if you still need it. ;)
Sengoku Strider

Bassa-Bassa wrote:
Marc wrote:

Seems yours is better though? You're basically serving to beautifully illustrate my point.

Me: "It's a shame that quality developers like M2 waste their time and efforts porting once and again games already ported which anyone with the minimal interest can already get in a better form instead of dedicating those to some of the best arcade-only games, some of which have even been already announced/teased."

You: "I'm not such a big fan since it's too much trouble to link up an old system hence I'll use my Nintendo Switch no matter what".

No matter if even M2 themselves have stated that Nintendo's console is underpowered for optimal input latancy figures, it seems.

Hope it's rational enough for you now, but I can chew it up a bit more if you still need it. ;)

1. M2 have hit optimal latency on Switch, they get 3 frames.
2. They have ported plenty of games not available elsewhere. Nobody's getting an arcade port of G-Loc anywhere else. You can't get Wonder Boy in Monster Land anywhere now that the Wii Virtual Console is defunct. Thunder Force AC has only seen two ports - a widely derided SNES version, and a Japan-only Saturn release 24 years ago on Thunder Force Gold Pack 2. Thunder Force IV has only ever been ported one other time - to that same ancient Japan-only collection. Ichidant-R has never had a North American release of any kind. Same with Columns II, which only had one home port, on the Japanese Saturn, 23 years ago. Herzog Zwei has never been ported to anything ever.
3. Even aside from that, the notion that keeping these games current or bringing them to a wider audience than they've ever had is a disservice to anyone isn't a great argument. A game like Ichidant-R having a solid Japan-only port on the 20 year old PS2 is not available to 'anyone with minimal interest.' The only real wastes in the Sega AGES collection are the two Sonic games, but it's totally understandable why they're there.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

I wish we could filter out post by user join dates.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

1. After much effort and resources, as they've mentioned/implied more than once. Effort and resources which could have been dedicated to -say- other titles? Three frames are still too many, anyway.

2. Monster Land is on PS2 as well, TF4 and Herzog were already games for home systems, Ichidant had a quite perfect Saturn version too, and I hardly can consider Columns II a good pick when looking at the whole Sega arcade catalog from those years. The only titles worth mentioning are Gain Ground and Shinobi, actually. Maybe cab-less Virtua Racing and G. Loc too, for some people. That's far from "plenty":

http://archives.sega.jp/segaages/

And I'm not North American, so why should I care what was/is released there. This is a Japanese series first and foremost and that's what I was discussing.

3. Are you really comparing Ichidant with Garegga, Ketsui, Batrider or Ibara? What is this now, the HG101 forum?

Anyway, the Sega Ages from these years is the last of M2's problems. I can sympathize to a degree with newcomers wanting good games by good devs there (though finding them in this forum is somewhat surprising, I'll say). My rant was specially aimed towards the minis.
CRP

Post by CRP »

BIL wrote: Wait. Where the fuck is Nitro Balls. M2 get on it. (■`ω´■)
It already out, but not by m2
Johnny Turbo's Arcade: Nitro Ball
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ASoXGwDzrw
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Ugh, the Johnny Turbo shit. They make Hamster look like M2. They make Digital Eclipse look like Hamster.

These DECO games M2 picked out / was able to scrounge the rights up for look pretty cool. B-Wings and Oscar especially. I hope they can put out a nice little dad-collection with them, for us DECO DADs (as I feel myself growing more dad over time...).
BIL

Post by BIL »

Given the five-alarm ass fucking I took from Digital Eclipse's SNK 40th Anniversary Collection ("Controls randomly freeze up? LMAO THATS WHY WE INCLUDED REWIND"), I'd be willing to give Johnny a shot despite his similarly godawful rep (and being reminded of his dumb neckbeard face making me want to violently kill myself!).

But alas, I've no Switch. :o You can bet your sweet dick I'd nom up all the M2 AGES stuff if I did!

However, all is not lost! Now that M2 and Hamster, history's two strongest (yeah, no gadget doohickies with Hamster - NO RYGAR WITH M2 :evil: ) are both covering DECO, the odds are that much better that one will get around to Nitro Balls! Image Just like Hamster have covered half of the good stuff on SNK40th, and counting!
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Hamster gots Burgertime, which I bought. It seems to be emulated well, but it's missing the "Hamburger" version (unless it's hidden like the bubble version of Gradius).
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

CRP wrote:
BIL wrote: Wait. Where the fuck is Nitro Balls. M2 get on it. (■`ω´■)
It already out, but not by m2
Johnny Turbo's Arcade: Nitro Ball
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ASoXGwDzrw
Holy Shit. Wonders never cease. DECO was the next level
That is modern art.