GBS 8200/8220 CFW Project

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Iraito

Re: GBS 8200/8220 CFW Project

Post by Iraito »

Well it worked, i drilled two minuscule holes into the scart head, made the 2 audio wires pass through the holes and soldered a 3.5 audio jack to the wires, the noise completely vanished, i guess having no audio at all passing through the GBS helps a lot, especially with cheap scart cables.
strayan

Post by strayan »

Well that was another interesting saga on why you should never buy cheap SCART cables :mrgreen:
Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 »

SCARTicus wrote:I had to connect my SyncStrike's screw terminals to my GBS8200's five-pin RGBs input. It turns out that the big issue that was screwing me was the separate H/V sync signals. Once I got C-Sync into the GBS8200, everything works beautifully and is stable, with a couple of exceptions. You just have to set the preset to 15KHz Downscale (NOT PASSTHROUGH) and set the output to component. Just two options necessary.

I tried this setup with my Genesis2/CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, SNESJr, NeoGeoCD, PSOne, and PCE Duo-R. GBS-Control basically hates the Dreamcast, and I got a momentary jump in the image once at the EWJ:SE title screen, but those were the only issues I ran across. Dreamcast is not usable in this setup, but I like it better at 31KHz anyway.
Okay so 480i (assuming via SCART) Dreamcast to 240p component doesn't work well? What about VGA 31Khz to 240p component?
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

If you're looking for a transcoder there are better options. The gbs shines when using RGB input and output
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

^^vga downsacling simply doesnt work. You will get an image but it ain't pretty.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
whatthefusch

Post by whatthefusch »

maxtherabbit wrote:If you're looking for a transcoder there are better options.
For GBS-equivalent $$?
atohmdiy

Post by atohmdiy »

Hello,

I do not forget you guys with this history oc csync with the j-tech dac. I receive the gbs board today, it took ages.

I start moding the board but i made mistake... i wanted to remove c11 but remove c65 instead, and the caps just broke when i unpopulate it...

Do you have the value i can use as a replacement for c65 ?
SCARTicus

Post by SCARTicus »

Greg2600 wrote:
SCARTicus wrote:I had to connect my SyncStrike's screw terminals to my GBS8200's five-pin RGBs input. It turns out that the big issue that was screwing me was the separate H/V sync signals. Once I got C-Sync into the GBS8200, everything works beautifully and is stable, with a couple of exceptions. You just have to set the preset to 15KHz Downscale (NOT PASSTHROUGH) and set the output to component. Just two options necessary.

I tried this setup with my Genesis2/CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, SNESJr, NeoGeoCD, PSOne, and PCE Duo-R. GBS-Control basically hates the Dreamcast, and I got a momentary jump in the image once at the EWJ:SE title screen, but those were the only issues I ran across. Dreamcast is not usable in this setup, but I like it better at 31KHz anyway.
Okay so 480i (assuming via SCART) Dreamcast to 240p component doesn't work well? What about VGA 31Khz to 240p component?
I tried VGA to 240p YPbPr and I could not get a stable image. The image that I get for all of my other consoles is very good, though. I still want a LinuxBot3000 transcoder, but this will hold me over for a while. Don't get an RGB2COMP. It uses microUSB for power which WILL break and has a crappy plastic enclosure. My damn RT2X stopped working for no reason at all, and the power connector was never reliable. What trash! Linuxbot seems to take pride in his work.
Kez

Post by Kez »

NoAffinity wrote:Also, anyone having trouble with the antenna on the ESP (not getting great connectivity), I just did this and it is working better than any other solution I've come up with. took some 22ga wire, stripped it and tinned it real good. Bent it into an "L" with needle nose pliers. Soldered it to the existing antenna on the ESP, in the "L" position. It is working flawlessly! I've done this with extracted pins from your typical header that comes with dev boards, and those worked okay, but this works way better. Not sure if it's due to copper, lead and other metals, or the stranding, or maybe something just completely unrelated...but it is working great.
Awesome! The effective frequency of an antenna is, I believe, a function of its length, so you've probably just lucked into a good antenna extension length for 2.4ghz wireless.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

I think I've said it before but I will say it again: if you feed a scan converter VGA/480p for 480i RGBS out, THEN send it into the GBS for downscaling, it should take care of any issues people are having.
strayan

Post by strayan »

Emphasis added:
rama wrote: CSync vs separate H+V (input to GBS):
Both are supported on the RGBs(HV) port. The Component Video input uses embedded syncs on luma (as per standard) and works well with it.
For the RGBs(HV) port, using CSync is better. The chip can detect formats from CSync, whereas H+V sync requires guesswork.
If you have the option, use CSync. If only H+V is available, try it. It might work just fine.
In stubborn cases, a sync combiner could be used. People have open source designs that can do it, but it can also be done with a couple cheap parts.
atohmdiy

Post by atohmdiy »

Well it seems no one want to help me with this C65 value thing.

So i start some investigation and even if i am not an electronics, this caps is odd. The left pin of C65 is between a SS34 diode, pin 3 (SW) of the XL1583E1 DC-DC converter and the pin 3 (Vin) of the AMS1117 voltage regulator.
What is odd is that the right pin of C65 is only connected to the pin 1 of XL1583E1, which is a not connected pin. It's not grounded either, and it's completely isolated. Again my knowledge in electronics is very limited, but i just don't understand why this cap is here.

Maybe someone here that understand this thing better than me ?
immaburr

Post by immaburr »

Trying to get this working using a SCART input found here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SCART-to-GBS-8 ... SwtPNbGUQ6

Then outputting to VGA to the OSSC

The arduino board seems to get bogged down easily and will spit out gibberish like: https://pastebin.com/V715qhL4

I've added the 100 ohm resistor for the SCART input but no changes appear to pass a picture to the OSSC.
dentnz

Post by dentnz »

jdubs wrote:Anyone downsampling 480p from an xbox 360? I can't get a stable display on my Wells Gardner k7000 arcade monitor. My MiSTer works perfectly at 240p with this monitor.

The only option I've selected is the 15khz downscale.

Here's a pic of the rolling screen:

https://imgur.com/a/y1sNQd3
The GBS outputs RGBHV or component. I was getting a rolling picture on my PVM until I combined the HV sync. Maybe your monitor takes RGBS and not RGBHV, as @Gunstar suggests?
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

immaburr wrote:Trying to get this working using a SCART input found here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SCART-to-GBS-8 ... SwtPNbGUQ6

Then outputting to VGA to the OSSC

The arduino board seems to get bogged down easily and will spit out gibberish like: https://pastebin.com/V715qhL4

I've added the 100 ohm resistor for the SCART input but no changes appear to pass a picture to the OSSC.
Are you using RGBS or are your SCART cables sync on luma/sync on composite video?
immaburr

Post by immaburr »

Are you using RGBS or are your SCART cables sync on luma/sync on composite video?
The SCART cable should be standard RGB. Shouldn't be anything too fancy.

When I get it to output to the OSSC this is the picture I get:

https://i.imgur.com/5bRrHQs.jpg
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

immaburr wrote:
The SCART cable should be standard RGB. Shouldn't be anything too fancy.

When I get it to output to the OSSC this is the picture I get:

https://i.imgur.com/5bRrHQs.jpg
By arduino (mentioned in earlier post), do you mean the esp?

Also, make sure output is set to vga. That looks like it's set to component output with a vga cable connected.

tiochico27

Post by tiochico27 »

I just received my clockgen board this morning. After installed, the wifi signal on the ESP became odd. As soon as the input is powered on (RGBS), the ESP lose his signal (red dot on top left corner) and back to normal only when the input is powered off.

I did the clockgen installation following the wiki guide. GBS and ESP works great for almost one year without clockgen board.

Any tips?

Edit: Strangely i changed the wifi channel on my router and problem solved BUT with the clockgen installed and working the image has lots of jailbars, what does not happen without the board. Now what?
immaburr

Post by immaburr »

Sorry, yes the ESP. I used a new board and don't have any problems other than getting a picture from the board.
Also, make sure output is set to vga. That looks like it's set to component output with a vga cable connected.
I'm not sure how to verify my output is VGA in the web gui. I've tried several combinations of enhancements and also tried setting the video modes in the presets menu.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

immaburr wrote:Sorry, yes the ESP. I used a new board and don't have any problems other than getting a picture from the board.
I'm not sure how to verify my output is VGA in the web gui. I've tried several combinations of enhancements and also tried setting the video modes in the presets menu.
The option to change the output type is in Preferences. Default output is vga so you can also reflash the esp choosing to clear all data including wifi settings.

Kez

Post by Kez »

tiochico27 wrote:the image has lots of jailbars, what does not happen without the board. Now what?
Maybe the high frequency clock signal is coupling with the video. Check the positioning of your clock board and the wiring for it. Keep the wire as short as you can.
tiochico27

Post by tiochico27 »

Kez wrote:
tiochico27 wrote:the image has lots of jailbars, what does not happen without the board. Now what?
Maybe the high frequency clock signal is coupling with the video. Check the positioning of your clock board and the wiring for it. Keep the wire as short as you can.
I did 3 different installations but all give me jailbars, so i give up. I'll still use gbs without the clockgen board, as always.

Thanks!
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

tiochico27 wrote:
Kez wrote:
I did 3 different installations but all give me jailbars, so i give up. I'll still use gbs without the clockgen board, as always.

Thanks!
Are you flashing the latest build from Rama's github? The 1080p profile gave jailbars at one point in time but that's long since been fixed.

KitsuneMulder

Post by KitsuneMulder »

Update: fixed. There was a factory solder bridge manufacturing error on the ClockGen itself. It was on the 5351 chip itself.

I am having issues after installing the ClockGen. The ESP will not communicate with the board of the ClockGen is attached. I have used the 3.3v and 5v VIN with no success. It’s like it doesn’t want to share the bus with the ClockGen. If I remove either power or SCL/SDA it boots up fine. If it is powered on and attached the blue LED on the ESP stays on for about 30s-1min then goes dark and the debug screen shows that it can’t communicated with the GBS. Bad ClockGen?

To make it even more confusing. I tested continuity between SCL and SDA and when ESP and ClockGen are connected it beeps in a weird pattern. It’s not a short though as it doesn’t happen with the lines disconnected to the ClockGen and doesn’t happen if the ClockGen is left unpowered with them connected. Has to just be a bad board?
tiochico27

Post by tiochico27 »

NoAffinity wrote:Are you flashing the latest build from Rama's github? The 1080p profile gave jailbars at one point in time but that's long since been fixed.

Yes, i'm using the latest build.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

KitsuneMulder wrote: I am having issues after installing the ClockGen. The ESP will not communicate with the board of the ClockGen is attached. I have used the 3.3v and 5v VIN with no success. It’s like it doesn’t want to share the bus with the ClockGen. If I remove either power or SCL/SDA it boots up fine. If it is powered on and attached the blue LED on the ESP stays on for about 30s-1min then goes dark and the debug screen shows that it can’t communicated with the GBS. Bad ClockGen?

To make it even more confusing. I tested continuity between SCL and SDA and when ESP and ClockGen are connected it beeps in a weird pattern. It’s not a short though as it doesn’t happen with the lines disconnected to the ClockGen and doesn’t happen if the ClockGen is left unpowered with them connected. Has to just be a bad board?
I had a similar if not identical issue to this with one gbs, although I never isolated individual components. It would work fo about 5 mins worth no problem, then the blue light would go out and it could no longer be controlled. It would continue to operate, but completely uncontrollable once the light went out. Swapped the esp and clock gen to another gbs, and no problems with that setup. Eventually trashed the problematic gbs.

immaburr

Post by immaburr »

I flashed a clean D1 Mini and attached to the gbs-8200. When I start up I get no picture but if I press "RGBHV/Component Toggle" to turn on and off I'm then able to see this on the screen: https://imgur.com/Jt2HTEi

I'm trying to output VGA to the OSSC. I get the same as above when plugging into the OSSC or outputting the signal directly to a VGA screen. Not sure if related but I also installed the 100ohm resistor - adding and removing it don't appear to make any change.
SCARTicus

Post by SCARTicus »

immaburr wrote:I flashed a clean D1 Mini and attached to the gbs-8200. When I start up I get no picture but if I press "RGBHV/Component Toggle" to turn on and off I'm then able to see this on the screen: https://imgur.com/Jt2HTEi

I'm trying to output VGA to the OSSC. I get the same as above when plugging into the OSSC or outputting the signal directly to a VGA screen. Not sure if related but I also installed the 100ohm resistor - adding and removing it don't appear to make any change.
It might be worth checking your connections. I got a similar screen when my ground or sync pins had a bad connection, or when the board otherwise loses sync. I'm confident that it is not related to the resistor, but that is all I can say on your matter.

I tried KittyCats suggestion on feeding VGA from a Dreamcast into a scan converter and then to the GBS-C. It almost works, sort of. I used an Extron VSC 100. The GBS-C would not sync with the c-sync output of the VSC. I had to run the composite video output of the VSC to the GBS-C for sync instead and that worked. I was able to get a somewhat stable image from the dreamcast, in 240p. It looked much better than 480i, but not as good as native 240p. Still images looked much better than anything moving. Things got blurry when in motion. There were frequent dropouts in the video output, and sometimes the video output would be garbled or glitched up. Frequently the board could not sync even with this setup, although these are the best results that I have gotten yet with the Dreamcast/GBS-C combo. It's still unusable.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

SCARTicus wrote:
immaburr wrote:I flashed a clean D1 Mini and attached to the gbs-8200. When I start up I get no picture but if I press "RGBHV/Component Toggle" to turn on and off I'm then able to see this on the screen: https://imgur.com/Jt2HTEi

It might be worth checking your connections. I got a similar screen when my ground or sync pins had a bad connection, or when the board otherwise loses sync. I'm confident that it is not related to the resistor, but that is all I can say on your matter.

I tried KittyCats suggestion on feeding VGA from a Dreamcast into a scan converter and then to the GBS-C. It almost works, sort of. I used an Extron VSC 100. The GBS-C would not sync with the c-sync output of the VSC. I had to run the composite video output of the VSC to the GBS-C for sync instead and that worked. I was able to get a somewhat stable image from the dreamcast, in 240p. It looked much better than 480i, but not as good as native 240p. Still images looked much better than anything moving. Things got blurry when in motion. There were frequent dropouts in the video output, and sometimes the video output would be garbled or glitched up. Frequently the board could not sync even with this setup, although these are the best results that I have gotten yet with the Dreamcast/GBS-C combo. It's still unusable.
Sounds like the scan converter is to blame for this one, it's odd that it worked with sync from the composite video output port but not the H/H+V output port that people use on most Extron devices...
Lee

Post by Lee »

Anyone else having trouble getting their SFC/SNES to sync properly? I can't seem to get rid of these occasional jitters that happen anywhere from every 30 seconds to every few minutes where the GBS appears to briefly lose sync. Tried csync as well as luma sync, no difference. When I try the console on my RGB Scart equipped CRT it works without any issues.

My GBS is a V4.0, has a 100 Ohm resistor between sync & ground, as well as a clockgen, C11 replaced, extra bypass caps and the RGB pots replaced with direct links. This is also the only console I'm having this problem with, my PS1, PS2, Wii and N64 are all working perfectly.

Hope someone knows what I'm missing.