Weird UltraHDMI problem. Sad day!

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
TooBeaucoup

Weird UltraHDMI problem. Sad day!

Post by TooBeaucoup »

So a few weeks ago I had a storm near my house. My power went out for a few seconds and then came back on. It actually blew out my OSSC which I mentioned in a diff thread. But, aside from that, I just randomly decided to play my N64 today that has the UltraHDMI mod. The HDMI video works as normal, but for some reason, I have no audio anymore and can't bring up the in game picture options menu. It's weird because I don't get why I'd have video still but the other stuff isn't working. I could maybe understand the audio being messed up, but the in-game options not coming up? LOL! Is it possible to have corrupted the software within the mod board but still be getting video? And also, audio gone? I had the mod done by someone else and it's been great for two years. I don't suspect it was a problem with the modder because it's been fine since I got it and it's quite odd that it's acting up right after this power surge. It's just weird that none of my other modded consoles were damaged but the N64 wants to be goofy now. I could open it up and look but I don't even really know what I'd be looking for... something blown inside? Anyone have any experience with the menu just randomly deciding not to activate? I tried holding the reset button on boot up which I read was supposed to reset to defaults, but that hasn't helped. :( :( :( :( LOL!
nmalinoski

Re: Weird UltraHDMI problem. Sad day!

Post by nmalinoski »

I would open the case, remove the heatsink, and inspect for any burn damage. If there isn't any, I'd try to reflash the firmware using a flash cart and an updater ROM (I think 1.08 is the latest and still floating around).

Separately, if you're not using surge protectors (not power strips), you really should be.
TooBeaucoup

Post by TooBeaucoup »

Yeah, I have a giant power center/surge protector with everything plugged in so it's weird that anything got messed up. Especially the fact that all of my other consoles are fine. I tried flashing new firmware but it just freezes the N64 and won't even start the process. I took the N64 apart and checked the board as well as the UltraHDMI board and everything looks perfect, nothing looks burned or charred, everything looks soldered perfectly and cleanly. It's so freakin' weird why it's behaving like this. Makes me think the firmware is messed up to the point where it just can't flash a new version. I'm honestly at a loss as to what steps to take. I guess, I may just have to contact Marshall and see if he'll have mercy upon me and actually give me a few minutes of his time. :( :( LOL!
strayan

Post by strayan »

Try reseating the expansion pack. I have two ultrahdmi modded consoles because i thought one was broken. Turned out all I needed to was reseat the damn thing.
TooBeaucoup

Post by TooBeaucoup »

strayan wrote:Try reseating the expansion pack. I have two ultrahdmi modded consoles because i thought one was broken. Turned out all I needed to was reseat the damn thing.
Yeah, I gave that a whirl yesterday but it didn't help. Weirdest thing is the Ultra menu refusing to come up with the appropriate button combination. The firmware must be messed up or malfunctioning somehow. I'm not even sure what action to take next or who to ask for help. I'm not sure how you'd even fix this since I can't seem to flash new firmware now or even the same firmware. I'm not sure how an official installer could fix it, unless there's some other external way to flash firmware to the boards. I have no clue if official installers even have access to those tools.

I certainly don't have appropriate gear to test anything inside of the N64. Ugghhh!
TooBeaucoup

Post by TooBeaucoup »

OK, so I actually solved this, so I figured I'd follow up for anyone in a similar boat. It seems my brief power outage fried the mini HDMI adapter dongle I was using. I originally didn't realize I had a spare mini dongle laying around so I didn't really give it much thought. However, I upon trying my spare dongle, everything works as it should. So damn weird. I don't know if the power outage fried it and the dongle was sending current or a goofy signal back into the HDMI port of the UltraHDMI board or what. But, there you have it. Nice to know I don't have to shell out a ton of money for another. LOL!
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Isn’t that just a passive adapter to regular HDMI? There wouldn’t be anything to fry in there. It sounds more like a bad connection to me. I hate mini HDMI and I think these mods should stay away from using it whenever possible. I had a similar weird issue with the mini HDMI on my GameCube and a bad cable causing ARC to fail between my AV Receiver and TV. I spent hours trying to figure that one out >_<

But glad to hear that you got it working again :)
TooBeaucoup

Post by TooBeaucoup »

Dude, yeah passive... But, idk what the deal is... All I know is, this other adapter is working great and this first one didn't start making the UltraHDMI act up until this storm knocked my power out for a minute... :?: :?: :?: LOL!
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Probably just a weird coincidence, but great that it’s working again :D