Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:41 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Re: HARD ROCK SOLDIER x HEAVY METAL KILLER: Rawk Thread
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:25 pm 

Obiwanshinobi wrote:
Listening to the 2016 remaster of Nemesis Divina by Satyricon, I get it now - they're like Swedish Pop* of Black Metal, contagiously catchy. One of those "all killer" albums, like Domain's Pandemonium, or Satura by Lacrimosa. These make me NOT ashamed of my teens, I mean, how could I resist?

*) I had pretty similar thoughts of Trio Mediæval recently, who even are, or at least were, partially Swedish, ethnics-wise, like, "Swedish Pop of early Euro music!"

Yeah, Satyricon are really great at the catchy heavy bm thing. They're one of those rare god-tier songwriters in catchy bm, no matter how you cut it. They just have it. songs are just so well put together, great dynamics in them (not talking dynamics in the mix, but rather in the song : tension and release, when to go sparse, how to mix it up etc) really elite in that aspect. fun arrangements always, surpising bits/curveballs.
I find them legit as well, I don't quite understand people who lump them in with Cradle and Dimmu. aside from maybe a tendency to orchestrate on later albums?

One of the only bands who match them in the crushing, catchy mid-tempo riff department IMO, are the mighty Craft. But they're not the exact same kinda band of course, they're more of a Raw bm.

And speaking of orchestration : I've quite been enjoying discovering early Arcturus, to my surprise. Not too much into the Castlevania-ish lush goth bm (I listen to SotN soundtrack when I want those vibes. I prefer my bm nasty and raw), but this is really epic and savage. Absolutely monstruous moments where keyboards or monastic chants just add so much to the crushing atmosphere of dread.
(And of course another exception in that style for me is Emperor's In the Nightside Eclipse. Just masterful and I love how chaotic it is and the slicing sound of guitars is succulent. the spot the keyboard sits in in the mix/composition is also super tasteful. But everybody that's in the genre loves that album pretty much so I don't feel like I need to explain why it's great).

I'll check Christ Agony, I don't know them

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:46 pm 

The soft spot I have for Christ Agony is, admittedly, due to them being quite like nothing else I'd heard before (I didn't know about any such music genre back then). In a very different time and age than they way things are around here these days. No mobile phones, no internet, but I got to hear some Black Metal on Polish Radio III, early afternoon hours.
So I was really moved the other day to find that their first two demos, released together on the "Faithless" compilation album, hold up handsomely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tOxueHcP4k

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:16 am 

Absolutely golden 1976 performance of "Don't Believe A Word" - Phil Lynott & Gary Moore on vocals, opposite Scott Gorham and Cozy frickin Powell, with keyboardist to the gods Don Airey. With my knowing only the stompier Live And Dangerous version, this was a particularly nice surprise! Beautiful interpretations both.

[THE MIRAGE OF MIND] Metal Black ST [THE MASSACRE] Gun.Smoke ST [TRAGEDY FLAME]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:42 pm 

I've been listening to the self-titled album from Loudness.
I've mostly listened to their American-era stuff, and holy shit this is great. Much more aggressive sound with the lineup changes and the fact that they left the US market.
Hell Bites and Firestorm are my favorites, but it's pretty great as a whole.

SURGICAL STRIKES
LIGHT UP THE NIGHT
I'M GONNA DANCE ON THE GRAVE OF THE WORLD
fuckin' metal
Surprisingly, this is also the only song on the album with Japanese lyrics in it despite them returning to focus on the Japanese market.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:43 pm 

Last night I heard your voice
You were crying, crying, you were so alone
You said your love had never died
You were waiting for me at home
Put on my jacket, I ran through the woods
I ran till I thought my chest would explode
There in the clearing, beyond the highway
In the moonlight, our wedding house shone
I rushed through the yard, I burst through the front door
My head pounding hard, up the stairs I climbed
The room was dark, our bed was empty
Then I heard that long whistle whine
And I dropped to my knees, hung my head and cried

Now I swing a sledge hammer on a railroad gang
Knocking down them cross ties, working in the rain
Now don't it feel like you're a rider on a downbound train

Muh feels Image

Contra Hard Corps named its final boss BGM after this man for a reason Image

null1024 wrote:
I've been listening to the self-titled album from Loudness.
I've mostly listened to their American-era stuff, and holy shit this is great. Much more aggressive sound with the lineup changes and the fact that they left the US market.
Hell Bites and Firestorm are my favorites, but it's pretty great as a whole.

SURGICAL STRIKES
LIGHT UP THE NIGHT
I'M GONNA DANCE ON THE GRAVE OF THE WORLD
fuckin' metal
Surprisingly, this is also the only song on the album with Japanese lyrics in it despite them returning to focus on the Japanese market.

I gotta get off my ass and listen to these guys - rather like Maiden and Priest, you could spend forever and a day on one without encountering the other, despite both's titanic stature in their home nations. Sounds like a good starting point!

[THE MIRAGE OF MIND] Metal Black ST [THE MASSACRE] Gun.Smoke ST [TRAGEDY FLAME]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:58 pm 

My, I just found that a live action flick Detroit Metal City adaptation was made. DMC manga, then anime, did rock.

"Satsugai, satsugai..."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:00 am 

Been listing a lot to Born Again by Farmer Boys lately, their first album in 14 years. Not only doesn't it disappoint, it actually manages to exceed all expectations and surpass all its predecessors. Not that these were bad, quite the contrary. Almost every single one of the previous albums is a masterpiece, the sole exception maybe being the debut, which is probably too firmly rooted in the numetal sound of its day to achieve the timeless quality of the others. At least you can still listen to it today without feeling embarassed, something which you cannot say about many of its contemporaries.

Farmer Boys are a really unique band. There's no one else who sounds quite like them. Great creative guitar work meets soundscapes reminiscent of movie scores and vocal lines that wouldn't feel out of place on an 80s pop single.

You and Me

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:35 pm 

Herr Schatten wrote:
Farmer Boys

The name surely rings a bell. Shall hear it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:33 am 

Something more proggy? Found myself doing a lot of walking listening to Porcupine Tree lately.

Specifically Voyage 34

" This young man never had a bummer in some 33 LSD trips. Every one of them was a delight, everything under control. He needed only to snap his fingers and down he came, anytime. But on voyage 34 he finally met himself coming down an up-staircase, and the encounter was crushing."

Offline Profile