Any good ps4/switch arcade sticks in the sub $100 range?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
benstylus

Any good ps4/switch arcade sticks in the sub $100 range?

Post by benstylus »

Doesn't need to be 100% arcade quality parts, looking for one that feels similar to or better than the Hori sticks that retailed for $50 for PS3 and Wii back in the day.

I bought the Hori mini-joystick for the switch, but it's a bit small for me (works great for my wife though, so money not wasted).

I've seen a number of sticks available online, but from manufacturers I've never used, so I don't know the quality.

Does 8bitdo make good products? They have a stick for switch coming out next month for $90.

The Hori Real Arcade Pro looks nice, but it's $160, which is a little more than I'm wanting to pay right now. That being said, if you've used it, do you think it's worth the extra $?
You're arguing for a universe with fewer waffles in it. I'm prepared to call that cowardice.
Glick

Re: Any good ps4/switch arcade sticks in the sub $100 range?

Post by Glick »

Do you have an existing stick you use for other systems? I recently re-wired my arcade controls to use one of these: https://focusattack.com/brook-universal ... h-headers/

Within an hour of effort my controls worked on my Switch, PS4, Xbox 360, and PC. If your budget is able to stretch to $100, you could just upgrade one of your sticks using this.
Glick

Post by Glick »

The Switch has a surprisingly good selection of STGs lately. Seems like the JP developers originally pushing for PS4 shmups are moving over to the Switch, presumably due to the high install base and the natural ability to rotate the screen.
benstylus

Post by benstylus »

Glick wrote:Do you have an existing stick you use for other systems? I recently re-wired my arcade controls to use one of these: https://focusattack.com/brook-universal ... h-headers/

Within an hour of effort my controls worked on my Switch, PS4, Xbox 360, and PC. If your budget is able to stretch to $100, you could just upgrade one of your sticks using this.
I've got a Hori PS3 stick which works well enough for me. Unfortunately, I'm not the electronics technical type, so I'm not sure I'd be up for rewiring anything.
You're arguing for a universe with fewer waffles in it. I'm prepared to call that cowardice.
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

If you're looking for something that will work on both PS4/Switch there is the Mayflash F series that are under 100 bucks. I have the F300 and replaced the stick and button with Sanwa parts and spent less than 100 bucks on it all. I've been really happy with it and use it on my PS3, PS4, 360, and Switch no problem.

They also have Elite versions that have Sanwa parts in them already, but I'm only seeing the F500 Elite on Amazon right now and its like 130.
Ryoandr

Post by Ryoandr »

benstylus wrote:I've got a Hori PS3 stick which works well enough for me. Unfortunately, I'm not the electronics technical type, so I'm not sure I'd be up for rewiring anything.
Modding a PS3/360 stick with a Brook UFB is great value. And it's a fun project to do too.
Just get the board with screw terminals, makes everything a breeze.
benstylus

Post by benstylus »

Johnpv wrote:If you're looking for something that will work on both PS4/Switch there is the Mayflash F series that are under 100 bucks. I have the F300 and replaced the stick and button with Sanwa parts and spent less than 100 bucks on it all. I've been really happy with it and use it on my PS3, PS4, 360, and Switch no problem.

They also have Elite versions that have Sanwa parts in them already, but I'm only seeing the F500 Elite on Amazon right now and its like 130.
What's the difference between the 300 and the 500?

For a joystick that works on both consoles I could swing $130 no problem.
Lazy-Assed Prophet

Post by Lazy-Assed Prophet »

benstylus wrote:
Johnpv wrote:If you're looking for something that will work on both PS4/Switch there is the Mayflash F series that are under 100 bucks. I have the F300 and replaced the stick and button with Sanwa parts and spent less than 100 bucks on it all. I've been really happy with it and use it on my PS3, PS4, 360, and Switch no problem.

What's the difference between the 300 and the 500?

For a joystick that works on both consoles I could swing $130 no problem.
The 500 is the bigger brother of the 300, it also has more weight to it which I love.
johnyboi

Post by johnyboi »

Mayflash F300 is a good beginners arcade stick. If you never tryed one and your not a 100% sure whether you will like it, maybe the F300 is for you! However if you are a big arcade stick enthusiast, you should reconsider!

The stick is compatible with most platforms known in 2020, which supports Dinput and Xinput when plugged in to your PC! Some of the disadvantages are that it requires a controller plugged into it, when you are playing on the PS4 and Xbox One and Xbox 360, unlike on PC.

But the biggest advantage of the stick is that it is fully customizable and upgradable with Seimitsu Denshi parts!

OR

Mayflash F500
This is another fighting game stick controller, which works on all gaming platforms including the Nintendo Switch and Neo Geo, unlike like the F300! The premise of this controller is an upgraded version of the F300.

The case of the stick is sturdy and is equipped with 8 buttons with rubber protection on the bottom side alongside of enough weight for durability! This stick promises great quality for its price and full customization for the players liking.

It may not be the choice ifyou are a hardcore player and you are in the field from a long time, but for a new player, this could be the exact match!
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

Yeah I believe its just bigger and heavier, but the elite ones also have sanwa parts already.

I also picked up this little dongle thing so I don't have to plug a controller into it to make it work with 360/PS4. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N6 ... UTF8&psc=1

Otherwise you just plug a cable into your PS4 controller and then into the arcade stick (at least on the F300 you do, not sure if the 500 needs this as well) .
benstylus

Post by benstylus »

I was just thinking, since PS5 is on the horizon, is there any word about the F500 being compatible?

I know Sony said PS4 accessories will be compatible with PS4 games, but would be good if it worked on PS5 shooting/fighting/arcade games.
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

I doubt Mayflash has gotten a PS5 to test it with yet. My guess is it will be like the other systems and with a firmware update beable to plug a PS5 controller into it. Hopefully anyway.
Glick

Post by Glick »

Johnpv wrote:I doubt Mayflash has gotten a PS5 to test it with yet. My guess is it will be like the other systems and with a firmware update beable to plug a PS5 controller into it. Hopefully anyway.
Very likely. Most of these boards just have control firmware built to convert. If Sony built encryption into the PS5 controller standard, I guess it could be a problem, but that would be a pretty unpopular decision, since it would effectively lock out third party controllers for a while.