Ninja Warriors Once Again - PS4/Switch/Steam

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
BulletMagnet

Re: Ninja Warriors Once Again - PS4/Switch

Post by BulletMagnet »

BIL wrote: I got a PS4 specifically for this game
Seems you (and/or me) might have to pick up a Switch for Pockier and Rockier, unless they announce a PS4 release as well.
BIL

Post by BIL »

History repeats itself :mrgreen: tbh I've been mulling over one for all the M2 Sega AGES stuff that's stubbornly avoided PS4 release.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I'm still hoping for a remix of Ninja Gaiden Shadow, NG license or no NG license. Too bad, AFAIK, TNWOA doesn't have a PC port like Wild Guns Reloaded. Switch version is legit, though. Beat it a couple times using a joystick controller.
Marc

Post by Marc »

BIL wrote:History repeats itself :mrgreen: tbh I've been mulling over one for all the M2 Sega AGES stuff that's stubbornly avoided PS4 release.
Absolutely worth it. Brilliant ports. It seems OutRun it now the 4th most played game on mine with some 25+ hours, only Mario Odyssey (entire family), Lumines (me) and Fortnite (10 year old son) have racked up more. And that's excluding the time spent on it between the various Yakuza titles.

I need to sink some time into Shinobi actually. It's even got a mode with melee mapped to a button now.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

IIRC TNWOA was also only announced for the Switch at first but PS4 added shortly after?: https://www.taito.co.jp/news/3398
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

Are they ever going to make PC ports for these?
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

Vanguard wrote:Are they ever going to make PC ports for these?
Here's hoping, considering Wild Guns Reloaded is on there.
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

It would appear that the official title for Pockier and Rockier is Pocky and Rocky Reshrined; it's due out sometime in the fall, and will apparently be coming to both Switch and PS4.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Vanguard wrote:Are they ever going to make PC ports for these?
The game runs in Unity so it shouldn't be as hard as usual. Here's hoping for my pc chads.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

You all have this already... but for the random who doesn't, it's on sale for $9.99 on the US PlayStation store right now.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Koa Zo wrote:You all have this already... but for the random who doesn't, it's on sale for $9.99 on the US PlayStation store right now.
I actually didn't - didn't want to drop $20 on it but I'm fine with $10 so just bought! Hope I like it (only similar 'retro-modern' game I've tried was Streets of Rage 4 which I didn't like...).
BIL

Post by BIL »

BulletMagnet wrote:It would appear that the official title for Pockier and Rockier is Pocky and Rocky Reshrined; it's due out sometime in the fall, and will apparently be coming to both Switch and PS4.
Oho, excellent. Was worried they might be Switch-only, with TNWOA sadly dropping Steam.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Dochartaigh wrote:
Koa Zo wrote:You all have this already... but for the random who doesn't, it's on sale for $9.99 on the US PlayStation store right now.
I actually didn't - didn't want to drop $20 on it but I'm fine with $10 so just bought! Hope I like it (only similar 'retro-modern' game I've tried was Streets of Rage 4 which I didn't like...).
I would call it Ninja Warriors Again Championship Edition. New characters, 16:9, and a few visual tweaks (that animation) is what you'll find. Game looks as good as it did 25 years ago.

I may have forgotten some things, but I couldn't imagine someone who liked the SNES version not liking this one.

Also Yaksha's arm storage is fucking genius.
My lord, I have come for you.
BloodHawk

Post by BloodHawk »

I picked up TNWOA late last year on the Switch. I am kinda of mad at myself for growing up as a NES/SNES kid and never even renting the SNES remake to give it a try.

Anyways, there is one important thing about this game that I have discovered:

I suck at it.... I mean.... REALLY suck. :lol:

I think I have grown too accustomed to belt scrollers where I rely on my vertical positioning more than I should, and this game is definitely showing me that.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Invincible frames are your key to dominating TNW/OA. Remember: throws and combo enders are invincible!

Throws, and also,
Spoiler

Striking combo enders
Spoiler

are ZETTAI MUTEKI DA (`ω´メ)

Ninja's probably the best beginner pick. His Nunchaku comes out fast (PP+P), and will nuke your surroundings with an invincible, rangy, bi-directional knockdown that does nasty damage. He's also got brutally crowd-clearing/boss-destroying grapples, via Giant Swing (UP+ATK) and Atomic Drop (DWN+ATK). While GS doesn't do much damage to the target, launching it pointblank to something, or deep within a crowd, will rack up vicious juggle damage. One of gaming's great MAD MURDER MACHIENS Image

He frickin can't jump, which can be discombobulating, but he doesn't really need to, with his fast, long-ranging punch, and his shoulder ram (FWD+JMP)'s easy combo starter. Ram 'em, sock 'em in the face a couple times, then grab 'em and land the Atomic Drop. FEW CAN SURVIVE - those that do are at your mercy for a followup thrashing. Boss wakeup attacks are invincible - back up until they're on their feet, otherwise go ham.

If it's any help, I wrote a quickstart guide here, still shamefully missing Kamaitachi (because I hate that shitbird for letting down the team on SFC with his crouch P spam :evil:), and Raiden (I don't know WTF Raiden even is :shock: and I for one enjoy leaving mysteries for rainy days :cool:).
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Stevens wrote:
Dochartaigh wrote:
I would call it Ninja Warriors Again Championship Edition. New characters, 16:9, and a few visual tweaks (that animation) is what you'll find. Game looks as good as it did 25 years ago.
Cool! That's what I wanted to hear and I did like the original on SNES. SoR4 got WAY too complicated for me to enjoy - I need quasi-simplicity like the earlier beat-em-ups had!
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

I think you'll be pleased then. The characters have just enough moves that you will find yourself using them all. Enjoy!
My lord, I have come for you.
BIL

Post by BIL »

This game eats Sunday afternoons like a bastard. :o Going for the Mad Murder Machine trophy on Hard (<2500sec clear). Normally I couldn't care less, but I love that nod to the AC's classic ending speech too much. Also, this game's trophy icons are so cute! Consulting my records, I damn near got it by accident with Ninja (2523 sec), must've been at least a year ago. Ninja: press the button, people die. Going for it with Kunoichi instead, for a little more pressure. Still my favourite character overall, both games. Sublime balance of high mobility, brutal grappling and puny reach. Knock 'em down then eat 'em alive. Image

Get in teh mix and WHOOP SOME FUCKIN ASS but u best know how 2 grapple, y'hear (■`W´■) flailers bushwhacked unmercifully
Spoiler

^^^ Tenderise crowd then WIPE EM OUT with a well-placed BOMBA, just watch your ass while it's recharging! Addictive groove. :cool:

GRAB IS STRONG FFS (■`W´■) Don't get caught flat-footed, grab 'em straight outta would-be backstabs/knockdowns.
Spoiler

Within reasonable limits, obviously. Don't try counter-grappling a knockdown when you're gonna be a character width away on impact - you'll get the shit kicked out of you. They gotta eat too! Duck/block/jump those. Image OTOH, if you're close enough, tanking straight through enemy combos to grab them before the knockdown finish is extremely doable. Just beware of enemies who can grab you right back, like Fox/secret service guy, Shinobu/giant ninja, and that bitch Jubei. More of a gamble on them. Goddamn, after several months away, I'd forgotten just how good this game's system is. Blood-simple yet riven with complications, impelled by viciously meddlesome enemies. A classic time attack brawler, I'm gonna say as of now.

I've made peace with the slightly touchy controls, which I initially considered glitchy. With the way the game "reads ahead," you have to be extra-precise on the attack button, lest you accidentally slam enemies you wanted to flurry/hair. It dints the SFC's perfect controls, slightly. Sometimes I'll go for a jab, get socked, then defuse further attack with a grab - a BNB technique - at which point, the stuffed jab's input causes an instant slam. It's easy to work around with trigger discipline, though, and actually helps in some ways. Jab strings fire off unfailingly tight, where on SFC the optimal timing's relatively strict.

It's also vastly more noticeable with Kunochi's high-speed inputs, versus the more deliberate Ninja/Yaksha, and Kamaitachi, who of course doesn't grapple conventionally at all.

Favourite thing to do atm, vs that shitbird Jubei - probably the game's single biggest time drain, outside of randomly shy Gigantos:

Spoiler

When you see him flamecasting, get behind him. Don't rush, or hit him - the GIF's kick is for the Kage, you've plenty of time. Nail him with the flurry, after which he'll blow himself up. :lol: Fun, and does decent damage to an infernally slippery target. I love how soundly Natsume cleared up he and Silverman (st4)'s mortal weakness to crouch P spam. Doesn't work at all well here, nor should it.

Must apologise for my shitty form, re the startup guide's GIFs. I didn't know WTF I was doin' back then. 2MB or less is what we aim for now baby! Image
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Teaser trailer for Pockier and Rockier...which probably needs its own thread by now, honestly, or we could just officially rename this one to "The All-Consuming Neo-Natsume Love-Fest."
-Fish-

Post by -Fish- »

Resurrecting this thread as today is Steam release day. T-Minus 6hrs :D
BIL

Post by BIL »

On this day, history is about to repeat itself (`w´メ)
Steven

Post by Steven »

The Ninja Warriors Once Again Once Again
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

I rarely double dip fro games, but made exception for this masterpiece.
Spoiler
Now I promise I really will go try to try some of the other characters :lol:
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
-Fish-

Post by -Fish- »

BurlyHeart wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:31 pm I rarely double dip fro games, but made exception for this masterpiece.
Spoiler
Now I promise I really will go try to try some of the other characters :lol:
Nice time! I've got alot of practicing to do. I'm new to the game but it does indeed feel like masterpiece territory. :)
Ebbo

Post by Ebbo »

BurlyHeart wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:31 pm I rarely double dip fro games, but made exception for this masterpiece.
Same, I stumbled upon a physical copy few years ago and even though I was well aware its reputation, I was not prepared to sink +100 hours into it. I've never really jived with beat'em ups that much, but something about Once Again just clicked. Maybe it's the pure 2D plane action that removes some of the "fuzziness" of belt scrollers my brain can't handle. I don't have much to add what hasn't already been said, although I really appreciate the complete removal of score counter from the original SNES release. It's a small detail and while I could easily imagine an in-depth combo scoring system worked around each characters' moveset, the sheer commitment to Mad Murder Machine speedkill experience has to be applauded.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Joined the MAD MURDER MACHINE club! (Only on Normal, but I've been playing all the Hard stages in time attack mode, so the big one should follow shortly.) :D

I got put on my arse a lot - it was a much sloppier run than usual, but I guess I just got in everyone's grill when I stood up. The current top time on Steam for this mode is 893.83, which seems almost impossible even accountng for all the optimisations you could make. I really wish we could watch each other's replays in this.

I agree with Ebbo - eschewing combolord nonsense was the right choice here, as time-chasing encourages a more desperate 1000-decisions-per-second playstyle which I think is ultimately more rewarding than merely styling on dudes for an hour.

Edit: here's an even worse run in which I still somehow don't die, but improve my time by some 200 seconds!
cfx

Post by cfx »

This is currently on sale on the US, UK, and Japanese PlayStation Stores.
-Fish-

Post by -Fish- »

Does anyone know what the record time for a playthrough is? The Steam leaderboard show several sub 1000s times with Ninja on Normal diff but my spidey senses tell me cheaters are afoot... :|

I'm wondering if the Switch/PS4 leaderboards show times that low as well?
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

1389secs is the WR I believe
https://youtu.be/_04fdiHFmBE

1698secs is the WR for Hard by the same person
https://youtu.be/S1ifD9kwb4I

No idea if this site is legit but zaarock is the moderator is I assume so https://www.speedrun.com/tnwoa
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

-Fish- wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:42 pm Does anyone know what the record time for a playthrough is? The Steam leaderboard show several sub 1000s times with Ninja on Normal diff but my spidey senses tell me cheaters are afoot... :|

I'm wondering if the Switch/PS4 leaderboards show times that low as well?
Yeah, if anything, those sub 1000 seconds or less are probably cheaters using cheat engine or any memory editor program finding the value of the "timer" and editing it to their own will. There was even day 1 cheaters on both the Normal and Hard leaderboards too (until the devs took them out quickly, lol.) as low as 0 seconds, lol.

Either way, the PS4 and Switch leaderboards are more likely legit, since you would have to hack the console(s) to take advantage, though at the cost of not trying to get an account/console ban obviously.
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!