Blazing Chrome [r'n'g](Dotemu publishing as The Arcade Crew)

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
xxx1993

Re: Blazing Chrome [r'n'g](Dotemu publishing as The Arcade C

Post by xxx1993 »

Two clones, actually. There are two crystals Zet summons for you to destroy before you defeat him for good. And by the way, Neo Contra is my favorite of the series. Anyway, I'm considering making a TV Tropes page for this game.

Edit: ...Never mind, somebody beat me to it!
it290

Post by it290 »

Love that end credits song...
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Just one-life cleared the normal mode in under 40, with a score just outside the top 10. Gutted! :P
Leader Bee

Post by Leader Bee »

I keep getting caught out by the roll instead of dropping through platforms :(
The universe is neither hostile nor friendly, simply indifferent.

Even without my umbillical cable attached I still have over 12,000 plates of fortified armour AND I have my AT Field! There's NO WAY I can lose!!
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

https://twitter.com/camelo003/status/11 ... 4932880384

I hope this is just a random joke or a coincidence the creators of the game put in. I honestly don't see how this game would fit into Oniken other than the post-apocalyptic setting and the "man vs. machine" theme. And besides, Oniken is set in 20XX. This game is set in 21XX. Those are just two separate centuries.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

It's probably just a callback, a little easter egg for those who notice it. Blazing Chrome is full of references to their previous work, the most obvious one being the polar bear chase in 5-1, which is straight out of Oniken and a clever piece of iterative design.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Are there any Odallus references as well?
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I really wish the scanline option didn't distort your TV to look like an older TV. I asked them on Twitter to have an option to where you just had the scanlines, without the rounding of the edges.
Probably won't get anything done, though.
Rob

Post by Rob »

evil_ash_xero wrote:Probably won't get anything done, though.
https://youtu.be/CufNb6K_wcg?t=351
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Rob wrote:
evil_ash_xero wrote:Probably won't get anything done, though.
https://youtu.be/CufNb6K_wcg?t=351
Well, I'll be damned. Some good news, for once.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I'm glad a fix is in the works, but I'm wondering if there is some overhead with the game engine on consoles since the PC doesn't have the issues of the switch version and runs on a toaster.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Is no one gonna tell me if this does take place in the same universe as Oniken or not?
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

No
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Then what do you explain the "Oniken Protocol" in the background of Stage 5 and the similar enemies to the ones in Oniken for?
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

We played it on a mate's Switch at we enjoyed ourselves. He's a lot younger than me and he was saying 'can we play on easy mode?' - never! was the reply :D
It seems to be a bit too 'easy' to me, but I haven't played it on hard mode as yet.
Very nice design and art style is decent. It feels like the controls are good and I found myself using the standing firing action quite a bit.
I'll keep an eye out for this team's next releases.
More Bromances = safer people
Austin

Post by Austin »

Hard mode is definitely tougher. With some trial and error I made decent progress initially, but then proceeded to get wrecked by the second half of Stage 5.
Leader Bee

Post by Leader Bee »

I just wish there was some difference in the characters, a-la hard corps. In this picking a different character doesn't give you a different weapon selection
The universe is neither hostile nor friendly, simply indifferent.

Even without my umbillical cable attached I still have over 12,000 plates of fortified armour AND I have my AT Field! There's NO WAY I can lose!!
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Austin wrote:Hard mode is definitely tougher. With some trial and error I made decent progress initially, but then proceeded to get wrecked by the second half of Stage 5.
I'll definitely give a whirl; my younger gamer who played with me was a bit taken aback and out of his league :D Me, no - no worries but I was raised on unfair games and like many of the Sado Masochists it was my gateway :D
More Bromances = safer people
it290

Post by it290 »

Leader Bee wrote:I just wish there was some difference in the characters, a-la hard corps. In this picking a different character doesn't give you a different weapon selection
Ditto, although the unlockable characters play completely differently so you still have at least two styles of play.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Still waiting for a GOG Korea list. And the bastards at dotemu won't reply to my emails, even though the developers 'joymasher' did.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

50% off Blazing Chrome on Steam. Should go without saying that this is an absolute steal. :D
MathU

Post by MathU »

Been trying this game out over Wine recently and am having a huge number of control issues that I'm not sure if are mostly Wine problems or the game itself. For starters, the game attempts to read my controller inputs as both player 1 and 2 at once. The only inputs I can remap are the action buttons... for one controller? And since the input remappings don't alter the confirm and cancel buttons for menus (seriously?), this means that there's no way for me to avoid activating player 2 on the start game screen and I'm forced to play the game with two characters at once if I want to use a controller. And because the game completely disables keyboard inputs whenever it detects that a controller is connected, normal workarounds like AntiMicro or Joy2Key that let you map key and mouse inputs to controllers are not an option either. Well, okay I guess. I usually prefer playing on keyboard for 2D games anyway; my controllers mostly just exist for those stubborn doujin games with garbage key defaults and no keyboard configuration options.

So I try playing the game on keyboard, right? Well thankfully this lets you remap direction inputs to something sensible like WASD. The fact that the game reverts to ZX and arrows for confirm/cancel in menus is very annoying but tolerable. But then when I actually get into the action I have some other problems. If I use certain combinations of inputs I'll get all sorts of weird behavior like input masking where the jump and shoot inputs don't work while holding the Aim key. Or even worse I'll get "stuck" inputs where a certain combination of keys makes my Shot input stay activated without pressing anything. Before you say it's all my keyboard, I use a special keyboard specifically designed to avoid input ghosting and masking (I can normally press more keys than I have fingers before key input masking happens).

Anyone else experience some of these problems? Is the PC port of this game just appallingly incompetent or what? Good grief, I really wanted to give this game a fair chance but this is really skirting the border of playability.
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Are you using an input wrapper? I had a similar problem with a PS4 controller and ds4windows and the “hide DS4 controller” option solved the issue.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Spoiler

Wow, this is good. Not too surprised, with so many posters I trust giving it their approval, but it's still great to see first-hand. That train stage is what Hard Corps and Shin Contra's both wished they were, and more importantly, what I wished they were. I really like the attack/defense/mobility dilemma with the Solbrain-esque helper droids, and how the default MG isn't a peashooter but viably rips through popcorns. Slick implementation of automelee, too, and though Contra Spirits' tank far predates Metal Slug, it's easy to see good influence from that series both in the slashing and the vehicles. Liked what seems to be a Gunforce nod early on, haha.

Spoiler

On the PS4 version here. For anyone else who dreads input lag with every new purchase nowadays, fear not. Control response is razor-sharp, easily competitive with the best of 8/16bit JP action.

Surprised the dodge roll wasn't invincible at first, glad they patched it in. Poking holes in boss patterns ala Hard Corps feels great, particularly as the roll itself is nice and punchy with its quick startup & cooldown.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I have the PC version and it's super snappy. I'm guessing the Halloween skin is a Steam exclusive extra? Switch version still plays well and many of the early issues were fixed, but the controller configuration never came and it still lacks a few of the visual effects of other versions. Switching weapons is set to face buttons in the Switch version, which can't be changed in game.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

BIL wrote:
Spoiler

Wow, this is good. Not too surprised, with so many posters I trust giving it their approval, but it's still great to see first-hand. That train stage is what Hard Corps and Shin Contra's both wished they were, and more importantly, what I wished they were. I really like the attack/defense/mobility dilemma with the Solbrain-esque helper droids, and how the default MG isn't a peashooter but viably rips through popcorns. Slick implementation of automelee, too, and though Contra Spirits' tank far predates Metal Slug, it's easy to see good influence from that series both in the slashing and the vehicles. Liked what seems to be a Gunforce nod early on, haha.

Spoiler

On the PS4 version here. For anyone else who dreads input lag with every new purchase nowadays, fear not. Control response is razor-sharp, easily competitive with the best of 8/16bit JP action.

Surprised the dodge roll wasn't invincible at first, glad they patched it in. Poking holes in boss patterns ala Hard Corps feels great, particularly as the roll itself is nice and punchy with its quick startup & cooldown.
I put about 20 hours into it earlier this month and loved every minute. Run n' Guns usually aren't in my stable so I am curious to how you think its difficulty is compared to others in the genre. I got the normal and hard 1 CC pretty quick by my standards so naturally I feel like it is on the easier end.

Game gives out 1 UP s like candy:D, but honestly I feel that it makes it better.
My lord, I have come for you.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Personally, I don't factor a game's extend rate into its difficulty - for me, it's all about the eventual S-RANK nomiss clear. Image Image Contra III and Gimmick (FC) are good examples of thoroughbred hardcore action/platformers that chuck out 1UPs like rice at a wedding - but chop the extend rate, add a timer, and both are ready to go into cabs next to Daimakaimura and Saigo no Nindou. Likewise, even if Dai and Saigo gave mountains of extends, they'd remain stone-cold killers.

(insert Vietnam flashback of dying at Contra III's escape sequence with fifteen lives in stock Image)

I consider generous extends a net positive - better to draw players in than shut them out. Lunatics know what they want and will make their own fun. Image
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Loved the game overall, but the bike part at the start of the final stage made me want to stop playing it. I did not find it fun at all.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

BurlyHeart wrote:Loved the game overall, but the bike part at the start of the final stage made me want to stop playing it. I did not find it fun at all.
This is my main irritation. I love everything else! I've gotten to the last stage on a credit countless times only to get caught out on the bike stage and lose a crucial weapon. Kind of infuriating cos I was that 1CC, but it annoyed me after a while and I haven't been back to it.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Kinda agreed on the bike section. It's not awful, but it's very reliant on being prepared for what's coming up and remembering each section properly.
I think most of the game suffers from that mildly, but it's definitely more protuding in that segment.

The "3D" tube section is a little boring too, and goes to the opposite end of the spectrum. It's cool, but after you've played it once it gets old and drags on for a while. It's hard to mess up during it.