Questions that do not deserve a thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
atohmdiy

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by atohmdiy »

Hello,
A question about a sega saturn cable. I bought two mini-din to build a diy cable. The first one is mini-din to bnc to connect directly to my bvm, but since recently i am using an extron vga switcher, so i want to make a new cable to have mini-din to vga.
In retro-access they say this about their saturn cable :
contains a 470 ohm resistor in the din plug and a 220uf capacitor in the SCART on the csync line for correct 75 ohm sync attenuation.
Is it really necessary ? I don't use any caps and resistor in my bnc cable and it is working fine, no sync problem...
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

atohmdiy wrote:Hello,
A question about a sega saturn cable. I bought two mini-din to build a diy cable. The first one is mini-din to bnc to connect directly to my bvm, but since recently i am using an extron vga switcher, so i want to make a new cable to have mini-din to vga.
In retro-access they say this about their saturn cable :
contains a 470 ohm resistor in the din plug and a 220uf capacitor in the SCART on the csync line for correct 75 ohm sync attenuation.
Is it really necessary ? I don't use any caps and resistor in my bnc cable and it is working fine, no sync problem...
both the extron and the PVM are made to accept TTL sync, so an attenuating resistor is not needed

the coupling capacitor is recommended to help with some saturn model 2s that struggle to drive dc-coupled sync properly, but if you don't have a problem you don't need it
arrghus8

Post by arrghus8 »

Hello,
I recently changed my WiiDual install to send CSYNC to Data Pin 15. It was previously sent to Composite Video, and the three SMD components on the composite video line were removed per Dan's instructions (highlighted blue in this image: https://i.imgur.com/o9hXA7A.png).

I'd like to re-enable composite video by replacing the components, so was wondering if anyone knew what each one was.

Thanks!
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Does the Super Mario Sunshine 60FPS mod work on the original Nintendo GameCube hardware?
amaradona

Post by amaradona »

I am trying to feed my BVM A with my dreamcast.
Any recommendations for a vga to sdi scaler (720p)?

Best,
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I am trying to feed my BVM A with my dreamcast.
Any recommendations for a vga to sdi scaler (720p)?
TVOne has a few, but I probably wouldn't go this way. If you get an Extron RGB-HDMI 300A (usually plenty available on ebay UK), you get a great VGA to HDMI scaler, which you can use to scale to 720p or 1080i and you then just add any cheap HDMI to SDI converter that just passes what it receives.
amaradona

Post by amaradona »

Thank you Fudoh.
Much appreciated!
GojiFan90

Post by GojiFan90 »

Aside from the Analogue DAC, can anyone recommend a decent digital to analog video converter? I'm looking to connect my Retro Freak, Super NT and Mega SG to my non-flat Sony consumer CRT (with composite/S-video inputs).

Would it be better to just use something like this?:
https://www.amazon.com/GANA-Composite-C ... 1QQ476DNST

or would I get better results with one of these?:
https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-HDM ... 1QQ476DNST
in combination with something like this:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=2509

Thanks in advance for the insight.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

arrghus8 wrote:Hello,
I recently changed my WiiDual install to send CSYNC to Data Pin 15. It was previously sent to Composite Video, and the three SMD components on the composite video line were removed per Dan's instructions (highlighted blue in this image: https://i.imgur.com/o9hXA7A.png).

I'd like to re-enable composite video by replacing the components, so was wondering if anyone knew what each one was.

Thanks!

I've asked this same question, but haven't found out yet. There is a WiiDual thread. You can try asking it there: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=61787&start=450

Some of the forum members actually work on Wiis regularly, so they should be able to tell you if they happen to see your comment.
HarveyFunbucks

Post by HarveyFunbucks »

Probably a better place to ask this than the other thread I tried, sorry. I have a V-Saturn that I'm trying to run directly into the VGA port of an Extron RGB-HDMI 300A, and I've made a cable that goes straight from the Saturn to the VGA port, using the Csync coming out of the Saturn. I have a picture, but I need to stretch the vertical display on the Extron to the max setting to have a good image (it seems to come in very squashed), it blinks out for a couple seconds about every 15 seconds (I haven't specifically timed it, I can do that if needed), and certain images have a really bad flicker, which I think is related to the frame rate being used, as it happens more with menus and FMVs than anything else. I don't have any resistors or caps on any lines, and my pinout is as follows:

1 - Red
2 - Green
3 - Blue
5, 6, 7, 8, 10 - Ground
13 - Csync

Is there a ground that should be attached, or that I'm missing? That's the main thing I can think of possibly being an issue, outside of something wrong with the Extron or the Saturn itself, but I doubt the Saturn has an issue. Is there anything I can do, or should I give up and save up for a Retrotink or OSSC?
orange808

Post by orange808 »

ross wrote:Best box/device for image resizing, i.e. for hardware with lots of cropping or overscan on their video output? Would an Extron VSC be overkill?
The VSC is a scan converter. I think you meant a Extron DSC 301 HD. Those are nice machines and affordable. There's good and bad with every machine, so make sure to do some research. Full disclosure: my 301 HD is in a box in the closet with some other even newer Extron gear. They're great machines, just not what I want right now.

I still prefer my DVDO. (That's just me, though.) The Extron has 4:4:4 processing, a better scaling engine, and better overall image quality. On the other hand, you'll surrender the DVDO's low latency and ability to process odd "out of spec" sync.

There's other options out there besides those two, but that depends on your budget and other needs.
We apologise for the inconvenience
amaradona

Post by amaradona »

Hopefully, I am not mixing things.
I see few youtube videos in 240p. My intention was to watch them on my crt...Is there any console/media streamer which are able to do so or I am limited to 480i?
Thanks!
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

amaradona wrote:Hopefully, I am not mixing things.
I see few youtube videos in 240p. My intention was to watch them on my crt...Is there any console/media streamer which are able to do so or I am limited to 480i?
Thanks!
A raspberry Pi can be setup to output 240p, but you can't use Xorg at that resolution, so you won't be able to get into a browser. There is a program called youtube-dl that you can set up to stream youtube videos from the command line, and I used to use that in conjunction with the programs mps-youtube (as a command-line based front-end) to search for and stream videos. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get it to stream the last time I tried it. I can still use youtube-dl to download them and one of many video players to play them from the command line.

My guess with MPS-youtube is that it's been abandoned and the code is broken with newer versions of the OS, it probably is not worth trying that one. There may be some other way to do it, I'm not totally sure.

BTW, when you say 240p videos, I'm assuming you're talking about gameplay footage or something? Anything from a TV program would be 480i or 576i anyway, so you can just use something like an Extron VSC unit to interlace the output of a 1080p stream and it will look as good or better than the original broadcast (in my opinion).

I'm not specifically aware of a media streamer, but I would look into Kodi boxes for that kind of possibility. I would probably focus on something that you could use HDMI->VGA converter like the Tendak/Portta type device.
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233442833502

RARE VINTAGE RETROGAMING HEIRLOOM SCART SWITCH ONLY 139.99EUR BUY NOW! :roll:

Guess the few sellers that still had these ran out of new-old-stock. Should've bought a few more when they were 17EUR. Too bad, the manual/passive 7725 & 7723 are some of the best SCART switches out there with full compatibility and no loss of brightness/sharpness, noise etc.

Anybody planning to get their Bandridge graded by VGA? I bet a 9.8 CIB 7725 switch would fetch a pretty penny :D
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

Are there any potential problems with doing a feedback from an output back to an input on a matrix switch?

Use case:
I have a Sony PVM with two sets of BNC inputs. I intend one set to be RGBS and the other to be Component.

Some of the content I have will be 240p/480i while others will be EDTV/HDTV. I have a VSC 900 to downscale the higher res stuff.

I have an 8x4 matrix switch. Here is how I am thinking it can be mapped:

INPUTS:
1. 240p/480i RGBS
2. 240p/480i Component
3. 480p+ Component
4. Downscaled 480p+ Component from VSC
5. 480p+ RGBHV
6. Downscaled 480p+ RGBHV from VSC

OUTPUTS:
1. 240p/480i RGBS to PVM
2. 240p/480i Component to PVM
3. Component to VSC
4. RGBHV to VSC

For high res component content, for example, it would go:

HI-RES COMPONENT CONTENT -> Input #3
Input #3 -> Output #3
VSC 900 -> Input #4
Input #4 -> Output #2
Output #2 -> PVM

Any problems with doing this feedback loop?
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

SavagePencil wrote:Are there any potential problems with doing a feedback from an output back to an input on a matrix switch?
Older setup diagram, but you'll have no problem with that. I've had like 12+ devices looped in and out of a Matrix switch - makes it SO easy since after initial setup you NEVER have to touch a wire ever again - just do all the routing through the matrix switcher itself.

FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Can someone quickly brief me on what gear I need, to send instructions via RS-232 port on my Extron MVX?

There's only one way to adjust audio output on it, and it's via RS-232.

The current (default) setting is ''pro'' (+10db) and that output level is too loud, it raises the noise floor and sounds inferior, probably cause it clips a bit in my consumer gear (an integrated amp) and this is probably meant for professional gear and application that expects higher output. I know because I A-B'ed that connection versus having the console plugged straight into my integrated. Going through the Extron sounds louder but going straight in definitely sounds better .

Reducing the gain on the input side doesn't help because it raises the noisefloor even more on top of that.

Any help would be appreciated. worst case I'll get a sepearate audio switcher but that'd kinda defeat the point of having the Extron MVX, a compact all-in-one unit...
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

any PC with a serial port should be fine, I updated an Extron scaler over RS-232 using some random vista box
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Thanks Max!

wait I didn't even knew this was a plain jane serial port!

my potato of a main PC (rando 5yo desktop) actually has a serial port, I'll get a serial cable and give this a shot.

now I just need to figure out which application/piece of software to use to transmit code to the Extron, I'll go read that section of the manual in depth.
the SIS system looks not too complicated and I even found the code to enter, now it's just about figuring out if I need a piece of software to enter it
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Hmmm... I haven't figured out how to type the SIS commands to the Extron (software to use etc)

Can someone registered on Extron site download for me the program named ''Matrix Switchers'' in the link below? It seems more user friendly, with a GUI and you just check or uncheck boxes.

https://www.extron.com/download/softwar ... ial=2&id=M
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

FinalBaton wrote:Hmmm... I haven't figured out how to type the SIS commands to the Extron (software to use etc)
https://www.extron.com/download/softwar ... ial=2&id=M
For SIS commands, I want to say I found some apps for my ancient iPad 2 which would send the commands over my house network to my Extron Crosspoints. Might have been using the Linux based Terminal on my Mac though (it was so long ago I completely forget...). You can actually embed SIS commands within a HTML link as well some guy on Reddit found on some Extron documentation (I might have linked to it on my Extron Crosspoint touchscreen post here).

I'll PM you the software which might be what you're looking for (think I might have bundled it in the link in my aforementioned touchscreen post too). I'm pretty sure the MVX is the same software the Crosspoints use (the other newer version is for SMX era stuff I believe).
Maka8295

Post by Maka8295 »

Does anyone know a good HDMI audio extractor that doesn't introduce any audio lag? I need one to use my headphones with my PS1 digital.

Thanks!
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Dochartaigh wrote:For SIS commands, I want to say I found some apps for my ancient iPad 2 which would send the commands over my house network to my Extron Crosspoints. Might have been using the Linux based Terminal on my Mac though (it was so long ago I completely forget...). You can actually embed SIS commands within a HTML link as well some guy on Reddit found on some Extron documentation (I might have linked to it on my Extron Crosspoint touchscreen post here).

I'll PM you the software which might be what you're looking for (think I might have bundled it in the link in my aforementioned touchscreen post too). I'm pretty sure the MVX is the same software the Crosspoints use (the other newer version is for SMX era stuff I believe).
Hey! Thanks a ton man. I dowloaded that software bundle you sent via pm. That last one looks like it's the program I was talking about. I'll get a serial cable today and give this a go.

Maka8295 wrote:Does anyone know a good HDMI audio extractor that doesn't introduce any audio lag? I need one to use my headphones with my PS1 digital.

Thanks!
I have this Monoprice one I bought 4 years ago and I don't remember it having any audio lag, neither through the ''HDMI out'' port nor through the other audio outs. If I find it again I could test it.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=10251

EDIT : nevermind,I just saw a review saying there's slight audio lag.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Maka8295

Post by Maka8295 »

FinalBaton wrote: I have this Monoprice one I bought 4 years ago and I don't remember it having any audio lag, neither through the ''HDMI out'' port nor through the other audio outs. If I find it again I could test it.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=10251

EDIT : nevermind,I just saw a review saying there's slight audio lag.
Thanks for the help anyway! :) I'll keep looking!
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Maka8295 wrote:Does anyone know a good HDMI audio extractor that doesn't introduce any audio lag? I need one to use my headphones with my PS1 digital.

Thanks!
DirkSwizzler did the research for us!
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=63585
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

FinalBaton wrote:.
glad you got the software, but I'm pretty sure all you need is standard terminal emulation software to send the SIS commands
Remistewart

Post by Remistewart »

I discovered that a HDMI to component converter (Portta) I bought for my BVM to connect to my PC has a slightly low white point output - and gives a more washed out image than I'd normally get on my RGB/Component console connections.

I can successfully correct the washed out image by turning up the contrast on the service menu from 1000 to 1200 to match the white luminosity I'd normally get from my consoles. However, would turning up the contrast this much wear out the CRT faster, even if the final white luminosity is the same?

Hope I worded that in a legible way! :)
Osirus

Post by Osirus »

Slight discoloration and distortion in the upper left corner of this Trinitron. Caused by speaker you think?
Spoiler
okerlo

Post by okerlo »

I'm currently trying to connect my Japanese PS1 via (Euro-Scart) RGB-cable to my random consumer CRT.
I have sound but a weird super dark picture with somewhat visible contours. The cable itself works perfectly fine on my (somewhat) modern LCD-Television.
Is this an NTSC issue? Sync stuff? I have no clue :D

Maybe you have an idea.

Thanks in advance!
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

Osirus wrote:Slight discoloration and distortion in the upper left corner of this Trinitron. Caused by speaker you think?
Spoiler
I have a Trinitron that has the exact same thing, same spot, but it disappears after ~30sec. All of my Trinitrons also are somewhat more blueish on the right vs yellowish on the left (very slight). Maybe the former is a speaker thing, maybe the latter is earth magnetic field. CRTs are weird.
okerlo wrote:I'm currently trying to connect my Japanese PS1 via (Euro-Scart) RGB-cable to my random consumer CRT.
I have sound but a weird super dark picture with somewhat visible contours. The cable itself works perfectly fine on my (somewhat) modern LCD-Television.
Is this an NTSC issue? Sync stuff? I have no clue :D

Maybe you have an idea.

Thanks in advance!
China cable or good cable? From what I remember PS1s and PS2s need different capacitors in the cable and only the better cables are able to do both without issues. 'contours' can also be a crap cable issue. For the longest time I had a PS2 component cable where each high contrast edge had like 3 echos, getting official Sony ones was a noticeable improvement.