... and it made me smile.

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Mischief Maker

Re: ... and it made me smile.

Post by Mischief Maker »

orange808 wrote:There are some seriously stupid boomers out there pumping cash into these things. I guess that's what happens when you have more money than brains.
That's what happens when you have a government who will shake literally trillions of dollars out of the magic money tree for wall street no-strings-attached without batting an eye, but have serious reservations about cutting unemployed people a check during a pandemic so they don't die on the street. You can throw money at the shiniest object that passes your field of vision because you know for a fact the government will step in if you soil your diaper.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

The N-Gage was probably the closest one to becoming any popular but it of course failed.

I think the razor gaming phones do ok in china though.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Mischief Maker wrote:
orange808 wrote:There are some seriously stupid boomers out there pumping cash into these things. I guess that's what happens when you have more money than brains.
That's what happens when you have a government who will shake literally trillions of dollars out of the magic money tree for wall street no-strings-attached without batting an eye, but have serious reservations about cutting unemployed people a check during a pandemic so they don't die on the street. You can throw money at the shiniest object that passes your field of vision because you know for a fact the government will step in if you soil your diaper.
Something like that. More specifically, I would argue that there's too much capital getting accumulated and all these large "fortunes" must hunt to find places to invest--because you absolutely must shield a fortune from inflation and maintenance costs. You also want the fortune to grow enough to make sure you and yours never have to any real work ever again. The fortunes must have growth, so this kind if mistake gets made--again and again.

Apparently, the chance there could be a market for a gaming phone someday is enough to get money. I just don't understand why people aren't asking more questions. It's obvious the hardware isn't good enough and that's not even the biggest issue!

Beyond the fact that the physical phone flunks out, there's no ecosystem to support it. Software is king. Without lots of it, there's no chance of success.
vol.2 wrote:The N-Gage was probably the closest one to becoming any popular but it of course failed.

I think the razor gaming phones do ok in china though.
That's interesting.

I heard Razer was moving on away from gaming phones, but there might be more demand in China. Although, beyond questionable convenience and lifestyle advantages, there still isn't much exclusive software to sell the platform. I say "questionable" convenience, because most people will find excessive battery drain and bulky additional controller hardware to be inconvenient.

We already have the best devices to play swipe the fruit on the train: an average Android phone. The battery drain is negligible and the devices are compact.
We apologise for the inconvenience
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

orange808 wrote: I heard Razer was moving on away from gaming phones, but there might be more demand in China.
I know they sold better there just as android phones in general because people have brand loyalty to razor in China. They have the esports cred, etc.
Still might not have been enough to keep them in the game, but *better* than they did in the US.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

I believe it's rather tongue-in-cheek, coming from the most venerable weekly newspaper around here (Catholic, yes, but I'm not and I respect them dearly all the same). Headline says "Our first addiction - bitter truth about sugar", then it goes on like that. So "tabloid" it can hardly be taken seriously.
P.S. The other year they published a pretty explanatory article about Riemann hypothesis, and I "got" it I believe, so I mean seriously venerable.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

Summaries of Golden Age comic books.

Sub-Mariner Comics #3 - Underwater druids, Angel forced to write pro-Nazi comic
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
orange808

Post by orange808 »

rapoon

Post by rapoon »

Stevens

Post by Stevens »

That is a great site, I just spent like 20 minutes there. Nice trip down memory lane.
My lord, I have come for you.
o.pwuaioc

Post by o.pwuaioc »

orange808 wrote:https://mobile.twitter.com/Foone/status ... 3608588288

A pregnancy test hardware mod. :)
Almost can get Doom playing on it, too.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Need to get those "It's a hellspawn" gift cards printed out.

Edit: It's now actually playing Doom.

https://twitter.com/Foone/status/1302453805057896448
https://twitter.com/romero/status/1303351928156573697
orange808

Post by orange808 »

vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

orange808 wrote:https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/local-medi ... od-earbuds

Morons. Fuckin morons.
I guess the administration is attacking chinese imports.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

They're a legitimate brand though, with no ties to Apple branding at all. They look superficially similar in that they're both white with a cylindrical bit for controls/electronics, but their design is quite different (as different as you can make an earbud for the human ear I guess) and the branding has nothing to do with Apple. Apple's AirPods weren't even the first wireless earbuds on the market so you can't claim Apple has sole patent right to distribute wireless earbuds or something.

The CBP is getting absolutely destroyed on social media over it.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Well hey! I bought Control last night and gave it a whirl this morning and found out my budget 1660 Super GPU is capable of ray-tracing!

For those unaware, the premise of the 1660 line is they're 2000x GPUs with all the experimental tech ripped out, leaving a surprisingly solid bang-for-buck budget card.

Now granted, the framerate takes a kick in the balls and I'm not going to even attempt the action portions with it switched on, but I thought my 1660 was flat-out incapable.

Reflections are the main thing that benefits, and light sources are warmer/glowier, but not necessarily something worth throwing hundreds of dollars at compared to the visuals when using the old "cheating" methods. The "subsurface scattering" effect in Shadow Warrior 2 makes light appear just as warm.

(DLSS is greyed out)
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:They're a legitimate brand though, with no ties to Apple branding at all. They look superficially similar in that they're both white with a cylindrical bit for controls/electronics, but their design is quite different (as different as you can make an earbud for the human ear I guess) and the branding has nothing to do with Apple. Apple's AirPods weren't even the first wireless earbuds on the market so you can't claim Apple has sole patent right to distribute wireless earbuds or something.

The CBP is getting absolutely destroyed on social media over it.
Intellectual property law is such outrageous bullshit.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Browsed Reddit today because I was bored. Somebody beat the crappy SNES Raiden.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

o.pwuaioc

Post by o.pwuaioc »

WelshMegalodon wrote:Browsed Reddit today because I was bored. Somebody beat the crappy SNES Raiden.
Well, that's your first mistake. I tried a few times to look into their retrogaming communities, but all it seems to be is an endless parade of "look what I found" pictures. Pass.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

rapoon wrote:Winamp Skin Museum
Nice site! Is that every skin made ever? I'm quite surprised that one I made all those years ago is featured there.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

o.pwuaioc wrote: Well, that's your first mistake. I tried a few times to look into their retrogaming communities, but all it seems to be is an endless parade of "look what I found" pictures. Pass.
I browse them from time to time. It's basically a hype machine. There's a hype ecosystem for retrogames and equipment that circles in and out of youtube shows and reddit and ebay sales. I don't want to put the work into fleshing out a conspiracy theory, but I am highly suspicious that there is some cunning behind it. Either that, or I'm just reacting to the nature of the internet and reddit in general; the nature of reddit being to intensify superficiality to the point where it overshadows substance. Still though, the way they (on reddit retrogame subs) latch onto specific things and the correlative price ramps has a certain deliberateness about it that gives one the shivers.
rapoon

Post by rapoon »

Herr Schatten wrote:
rapoon wrote:Winamp Skin Museum
Nice site! Is that every skin made ever? I'm quite surprised that one I made all those years ago is featured there.

Looks like the list has grown since I posted it. Which one is yours?

OT: AMD's chips announcement yesterday. they're poised to swallow a larger market share of the chip market (excluding servers).
and if you're vying for a new Intel chip, I'd expect them to sacrifice margins come November when Zen 3 is released.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

rapoon wrote:Which one is yours?
It's called Soliloquy. Not too special, really, but it actually got me featured in a japanese magazine back then. I think I still have the issue somewhere.
Funnily, I made the skin on a Mac and had no access to an actual Windows system. I just looked at the files in some of the packages and kind of reverse-engineered from there. Seems to have worked out okay.

I faintly remember that I also did a really crappy X-Files themed one, but thankfully, the museum site doesn't seem to have it.
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

kane wrote:Was jamming with co-workers earlier, playing a silly blues progression. I sneaked in the Dodonpachi stage clear bass line and someone in our audience of 5 dudes fucking noticed!
:mrgreen: When your eyes meet across the room and you simultaneously target for the weak points of fuckin' machine.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

That's crazy, I'm sure I wouldn't even have recognized that. Would probably think it was a seinfeld bass or something. :P
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

kane wrote:Was jamming with co-workers earlier, playing a silly blues progression. I sneaked in the Dodonpachi stage clear bass line and someone in our audience of 5 dudes fucking noticed!
Reading this made me smile too. Thanks.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Jebać PiS ("fuck the PiS") expressed loudly by the masses just on this peaceful street of mine.
The way out is cut off

Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

The reality of Trump is overtaking his satire again:

https://twitter.com/VicBergerIV/status/ ... 7917546497

Then this:

https://youtu.be/Qpp_1zkEO6g

Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

(For what it's worth, "habemus papam" means "we have a pope", most literally, in Latin.)
The way out is cut off

vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Obiwanshinobi wrote: (For what it's worth, "habemus papam" means "we have a pope", most literally, in Latin.)
Is this because the current pope is progressive?