N64 noise on solid white screen ... ??

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
mdd45

Re: N64 noise on solid white screen ... ??

Post by mdd45 »

I have possibly the same problem with leonk (videos on first page are not available anymopre) and the horizontial line flickering with my N64 RGB mod using Etim's board on my pal N64 using a Gamecube RGB scart and sync at CS75. You can see it on the video just above the Mario A and Mario B there is a horizontal flickering. I already shorten the wires in order to fix the red nose and ears artifacts on Mario 64 and all my connections have been tested with a multimeter and seem ok.

https://youtu.be/tNFPUABUENs

Could you please explain the best and easiest way to fix it (i think is the 5volt line instead of 3.3v) because by reading the topic you talk about 2 noise problems so a final and easy diagram and specific parts used would be very helpful. Also Bortis initially advised to get the 5v from the pin10 of multi out, so why use an LDO?

Also have a Happy new Year!!!
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

You have to cut a few traces ect but heres 2 pics of places that you can install the LDO.

https://imgur.com/a/3ypX3GZ

Tims board requires a 3.3v LDO so it has to be done for his boards.

Bortis boards work better without modding as they run off 5v only.
mdd45

Post by mdd45 »

Thank you. I ve just ordered the parts and i will look everything again even though Thomas83lin installation seems easier for me since there are no cut traces on n64rgb board....
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

You have to cut traces on Tims board, there's no way around it. Part of the board needs 5v the other needs 3.3v.

Make sure you have a good understanding of what needs to be done before powering up the system or you could fry something.
mdd45

Post by mdd45 »

Thomas83lin wrote:
leonk wrote: Awesome! Can you show pics of the install, or draw a back of a paper napkin diagram on how one can accomplish the same thing?
I don't mind showing pics of the install, but I was just following the instructions of Syntax and borti4938. I did use 2x 10uf 16v caps which I believe will work fine.

Sorry about the mess but here is the install Pics
https://www.mediafire.com/view/6cnj4g7a ... g7awam6c6x

I soldered the 3.3v ldo big ground tab to the power switch housing ground for ground and hopefully good heat dissipation and disconnected the mod kits original 3.3v by cutting the wire instead of cutting a trace. everything else should speak for itself.

If I'm not mistaken according to this I just have to unsolder the 3.3v power of n64rgb coming from n64 video chip. Is there something more i have to do or cut?
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

It's a good idea to run the video amp off 5v instead of 3.3v.
If you dont care about that then no trace cuts :)
mdd45

Post by mdd45 »

Syntax wrote:It's a good idea to run the video amp off 5v instead of 3.3v.
If you dont care about that then no trace cuts :)

Thank you for the confirmation. If I want though to run it through 5v which traces exactly I have to cut. In your photos I can see only one cut. A more detailed diagram or photo would be very helpful in order not to burn anything...
mdd45

Post by mdd45 »

Something else i have noticed but i don't have the time now to test again on my N64. Maybe someone has the time and will to test.

Before shortening my wires from the VDC to N64RGB for about 10cm (now it is around the length like the Syntax's installation), even though i had the red nose and ears artifacts on Mario64 start screen, i hadn't noticed before the horizontal noise-flicker due to the noisy 3.3v line. After the shortening of the wires the noise is visible. Maybe is just placebo or bad memory. Is it possible the 3.3v wire form the VDC to N64RGB if it is long enough this noise gets so low that is not visible on screen?

I will try it when parts for the actual fix arrive and disassemble again my N64 to install...

Also now when im using an s video on my crt the flickering is not visible. On my ossc with rgb though is there....
arebokert

Post by arebokert »

I just ordered the board borti made to solve this issue and now I'm wondering, just to be sure, on this picture https://imgur.com/a/Y31PzCB where is the board supposed to be mounted? And also, is it component side of the board up against the main board or down towards the bottom side of the console?
unmaker

Post by unmaker »

arebokert wrote:I just ordered the board borti made to solve this issue and now I'm wondering, just to be sure, on this picture https://imgur.com/a/Y31PzCB where is the board supposed to be mounted? And also, is it component side of the board up against the main board or down towards the bottom side of the console?
https://i.imgur.com/BUbLRdl.jpg
leonk

Post by leonk »

It did not solve issues for me. I’ve done 3 of them now. The only sure bet is to lift ground on multiAV and connect it to RGB amp. There are too many ground loops in N64.
arebokert

Post by arebokert »

unmaker wrote:
arebokert wrote:I just ordered the board borti made to solve this issue and now I'm wondering, just to be sure, on this picture https://imgur.com/a/Y31PzCB where is the board supposed to be mounted? And also, is it component side of the board up against the main board or down towards the bottom side of the console?
https://i.imgur.com/BUbLRdl.jpg
Thank you! I will have a go as soon as all components arrive :)
borti4938

Post by borti4938 »

leonk wrote:It did not solve issues for me. I’ve done 3 of them now. The only sure bet is to lift ground on multiAV and connect it to RGB amp. There are too many ground loops in N64.
The problem with viletims design and my N64RGBv1 (which will probably be discontinued quite soon) is that the digital and analog domain is simply separated using R2R ladder, which is not optimal in point of view; especially with the rather long ground wire of the conventional installation method (modding board placed on top of the heat spreader).

Have you ever tried my N64RGBv2, where digital and analog domain is separated a video DAC IC? If not, I would be happy to send you a kit.

BR
mdd45

Post by mdd45 »

I'm reporting that using Thomas83lin installation for the 3.3v line my video problem was fixed. Thank you for your support!
bonzo.bits

Post by bonzo.bits »

borti4938 wrote:OK, got the issue and I can reproduce that :)
On viletims board this means that the THS7374 has to be supplied by 5V. By looking on a picture of viletims board, you have to cut a trace - the big one between the CPLD and the THS preferably between the small cap and the THS. Please note that this cap is shared between THS and CPLD so you have to install another cap for the THS7374 later.
I hope that this is the only one connection. After cutting you can check whether you still have a connection between the power supply of the THS7374 (large cap +) and 3.3V.
The you can install a replacement cap (100nF rated for 6.3V+; you can use a wired package and put it around the large 22uF cap) and connect the power supply for the THS7374 to 5V; e.g. connecting + pole of the 22uF cap with pin 10 of the MultiOut.
I have Tim's version 1.1 N64 RGB installed. The picture via OSSC is very noisy, lots of horizontal flickering. The game graphics themselves are fine, I think this is just video noise from the 3.3V. I've installed one of Borti's 3.3v regulators and it hasn't improved the issue via OSSC, via CRT is slightly improved though. I only used 10uf caps though, maybe 100uf would have been better...

I'm wondering if the solution in the quote above might help? I notice that Syntax tried it and it seemed to work, I'm unsure if it is a confirmed solution.

I realise Borti isn't active on this forum these days, but can maybe @Syntax or @leonk help me out?
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Saw no change going from 3.3v to 5v on the ths.

Resistors inline on data lines stopped pixels jumping.

3.3v regulator fixed audio bleeding into video causing horizontal waves.

No other fixes that I know of.
bonzo.bits

Post by bonzo.bits »

Thanks, mate. The horizontal waves, was that screen-wide flickering lines?

I have two spare regulators so I’ll install one of them and see if maybe the first one is just a flukey dud build.
Last edited by bonzo.bits on Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Horizontal waves.

My way to see them easiest was the SuperMan title screen.

It's a light blue that shows the dark waves/bands fairly well.

Look at the top 3rd of the screen as you listen to the title music, you will notice the interference follows the tunes.

It has been noted even button inputs are noticable on the 3.3v line when using a scope.
bonzo.bits

Post by bonzo.bits »

The ones I’m referring to are much worse than that. Always visible and pretty much makes it impossible to play via OSSC due to it just being horrid to look at. I think they actually worsened when I installed the fine pitch adapter as I don’t remember them being so bad. Even using scanlines doesn’t mask it.

Anyway, I’ll try another regulator tomorrow and if that doesn’t work maybe a different console or just get a version 2 mod board.
gaavoid

Post by gaavoid »

Hi. I registered here to get your thoughts on possibly the same or similar video issue I've had with two NTSC N64's that I modded with a simple THS 7316 amp board.
Pic of the board/mod here:

https://i.imgur.com/0nFG0sa.jpg

The first one I modded is a CPU-03 (Jap) and second a CPU-04 (US). Photo linked above is the -03.

When I use a 1999 Trinitron, the image is fine. Same with a 1080p Samsung TV from 2015. I also tried it through a cheap SCART to HDMI converter I had lying around and the image was OK. The issue only occurs with a 2008 768p HD Ready Samsung TV when using either an NTSC SNES CSYNC RGB SCART cable (with the CPU-03) or SYNC on Luma cable (with either console) from Retro Gaming Cables.

I've also tested each console with three different official power supplies and from 3 different power outlets to rule that out.

I've compiled a short video which highlights the issues when using this TV. I did post a different video regarding this to the classic gaming discord last year when I modded them and didn't get a definitive answer.
The video is of the CPU-03 console. The CPU-04 has exactly the same issues.

Vid:
https://youtu.be/ClhYhFLssAM

I have an UltraHDMI modded N64 too, so really I'm never going to use an RGB modded one on that TV and I use the -03 on my CRT (I'm giving away the -04). I'd just like to know for sure if it's the TV that is the issue; if it's inherent of the N64 and for some reason only affects certain TVs or if it's my shoddy soldering.

I can't see the video issues when using S-Video or composite on any TV that I've tried. It could be there but I can't see it.
The issue only occurs with NTSC games. When I run PAL games (through the Everdrive) they look fine. No issues at all.
I should also note that all the TV's I've used are UK TV's (I'm in the UK) but running NTSC hardware has never been an issue with any other console on any of them including the problem TV.

Is this the same video issue that has been discussed in this thread?
gaavoid

Post by gaavoid »

Sorry to bump this, but my post was posted over a week ago and has only just been approved so is pushed back a few pages and would go unnoticed.
I realise the video I've posted is of poor quality but you should be able to see horizontal lines appear on screen.
In Ocarina of Time for example when certain sprites appear on screen, they're accompanied with a quick horizontal black line across the screen. On the menu screen there's a pulsating line across the screen.
On the 240p test suite (beta) you can see what looks like screen tearing or screen refresh scrolling up the screen. This also happens is SM64, amongst other games.

I think it's the TV not liking this particular signal. Using the same RGB SCART cable on a Super Famicom is fine though. This is plugged directly into the TV.
TheLegendMaster

Post by TheLegendMaster »

Was this issue ever solved? I am very much an amateur but I did successfully install Tim Worthington's RGB mod. I have clear noise in the picture and sound on white transition screens and barely noticeable picture noise during normal gameplay.
TheLegendMaster

Does anyone know if this issue could be to do with the RGB cable itself? It doesn't happen when I turn the RGB off on my scart changer so it's clearly either the mod or the cable. I bought mine ages ago but I'm pretty sure it's a budget one. I wonder if it's worth buying one like this: https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/SUP ... -cable-pal
and seeing if it makes any difference. Also, would getting the CSync cable help? Like a lot of people, the noise is annoying but I consider myself lucky that the mod works at all and I'm reluctant to try adjusting anything that might bugger it up!
TheLegendMaster

I can post an update since I ordered one of the RGB cables from Retro Gaming Cables (the one with Cscan) and it has been a revelation! I knew my RGB cable was on the cheap side and I had secretly known that the picture was too dark but I didn't want to admit it to myself. The quality now is amazing and the noise, whilst still present in a very minimal form on the white screens is truly negligible now and no longer manifests itself as sound. I wish it were absolutely perfect, of course, but this is as good as it's going to get and I recommend that nobody use any other RGB cable.