Turrican 30th

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?

Whats it gonna Be??

An exciting return to the series after a 30 year hiatus
60%
Another Soundtrack CD
40%

Total votes: 15

Sly Cherry Chunks

Turrican 30th

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

https://turrican.strictlylimitedgames.com/

This and Turrican discussion general.
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
Austin

Re: Turrican 30th

Post by Austin »

"Probably gonna be crap" should have been an option.

Eh. I'll be open to being pleasantly surprised, but I'm not holding my breath.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Probably another limited edition reproduction of a NES or SNES cart.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

That Factor 5 logo at the bottom of the page doesn't make me optimistic. They're great technicians, but their game and level design tends to be lacking. The Turrican games they made without an involvement of Manfred Trenz are significantly worse than those based on his work.
Last edited by Herr Schatten on Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Christ, if it's just a compilation of the Amiga versions of the first three games on a modern format I'll be happy.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
z0mbie90

Post by z0mbie90 »

Marc wrote:Christ, if it's just a compilation of the Amiga versions of the first three games on a modern format I'll be happy.
Or a compilation of every version of em! Turrican Mega Collection! I'll be fine with that.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

I'd be down for a collection, but I'm guessing it'll be a remake/reboot. The NES port is the only one of the series I've really spent any time with, which I believe is the only one of the games 100% done by Manfred Trenz.

Though admittedly I only play it with the "Super Turrican Plus" patch which fixes the game's scrolling among other things.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Sly Cherry Chunks

Its a collection:

https://twitter.com/RevueDePresseJV/sta ... 0760005632

I heard Strictly Limited's shipping is shit - or is that just a Covid thing?
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

To elaborate, there's collections for Switch and PS4 as well as re-releases of the SNES/Megadrive versions. The whole thing has a website at https://turrican.strictlylimitedgames.com/

I appreciate how the Amiga games are included in the collections, and not just the console ones. They went and split the games between two carts/discs like with the Darius collections, meh. I went and ordered the Collector's Edition for Switch, the Ultra collection with the figure is just too expensive for me, and I don't need all that extra swag.

I've ordered from Strictly Limited a bunch of times, I've never had any problems with their shipping and the prices are cheap (€9.99 this time). But then, I'm geographically pretty close.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
CIT

Post by CIT »

Anthology is pretty sweet. I ordered it. Will probably arrive 2023 or so...
Sly Cherry Chunks

Mixed feelings: Was hoping for a new game. Very cheeky of them to split the amiga games across two disks for people who can only afford one. The console editions are utterly forgettable (apart from the missing nes port). Also, for a so-called 30th anniversary celebration - where is the definitive version - the C64 one?

However; artbook, documentary and soundtrack CDs (I missed the anthology) all together are easily worth the 100GBP I just paid. Can't wait to play these on my big telly with a PS4 controller (map a jump button plz?).
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:I heard Strictly Limited's shipping is shit - or is that just a Covid thing?
I've ordered a couple of their things from here in the USA; so far everything's gotten to me pretty promptly once it ships, but as CIT infers they're never less than several months behind their initial promised release dates.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Well, for everyone waiting for a new game, Huelsbeck's last kickstarter included a tfmx-composed all new soundtrack for an hypothetical Turrican 4:

https://vgmdb.net/album/82547

So they already have the music score and a general outline of which stages / environments It would be set in.

Seeing how the money is flowing, I'd say It's just a matter of time...

(And yes, the album's cover is by Henk Nieborg...)
X - P - B
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Hopefully, the Director's Cut of Super Turrican will have the missing stuff from the Super NT release. Interesting that Mega Turrican has a director's cut too, since that game felt more complete than Super Turrican (and even has more complete versions of a couple Super Turrican stages, including one in the Super NT version of the Director's Cut). I'll probably just go for the first Anthology since it has the first two Amiga games and I have Mega Turrican on cart. Not sure what Mega Turrican DC would add to the table, not to mention that there are three versions of Mega Turrican/Turrican 3 on vol. 2 of the collection.

Odd that the carts have separate US/PAL version since, as far as I could tell with Super NT, the PAL versions of Super Turrican seem to adjust the speed when played on a US system and vice versa.

edit: Sounds like the games are the same on the PAL and NTSC carts, just different box art.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

BrianC wrote:Hopefully, the Director's Cut of Super Turrican will have the missing stuff from the Super NT release. Interesting that Mega Turrican has a director's cut too, since that game felt more complete than Super Turrican (and even has more complete versions of a couple Super Turrican stages, including one in the Super NT version of the Director's Cut).
Has there been any hint in that direction? I just assumed that Super DC would be the same incomplete crappy version from the Super NT. I'm curious about the Mega DC, too, but I want to hear what's been added first before shelling out for the collection, as I have the regular version on cart, and the (Factor 5 made) console Turricans aren't really all that great.

Will probably order anthology one for a convenient way of playing I+II on the switch. While my Amiga hardware is still fine, my old discs start deteriorating. It's only a matter of time until my Turrican originals won't load anymore.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Ordered the 1st collection for Switch. Really, Turrican 1 & 2 are my bag, ST2 was a shitty Super Contra rip-off and I never got on with the grappling hook thing in Mega/3. The vinyl collection in tempting though.....
Marc

Post by Marc »

Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:Mixed feelings: Was hoping for a new game. Very cheeky of them to split the amiga games across two disks for people who can only afford one. The console editions are utterly forgettable (apart from the missing nes port). Also, for a so-called 30th anniversary celebration - where is the definitive version - the C64 one?

However; artbook, documentary and soundtrack CDs (I missed the anthology) all together are easily worth the 100GBP I just paid. Can't wait to play these on my big telly with a PS4 controller (map a jump button plz?).
I very much used to agree. However, having revisited Super relatively recently, I grew to appreciate it's smaller, tighter stages in comparison to the originals. Still big enough to require exploration, but not as much empty space.

The C64 version was only really definitive in how far it pushed the machine really, these days I can't imagine a compelling reason to actually play it above the other versions. Still would have been a nice inclusion, as would the horribly garish, but still rather impressive, Spectrum ports.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Can't believe this doesn't have Universal Solder MD on it :D

Bit cheeky to pop Turrican 3 on the second compilation though. With the Darius ones the split was sensible - if you're just into the Amiga nostalgia you still need to buy both volumes.

Super Turrican 2 is worth it to just go into the sound test and put wormland on.

Re: shipping. Covid has made it tricky for them to certain countries because of price hikes and restrictions. I think some companies stopped shipping and those that did were more expensive, so it took longer - both in them getting a new shipping partner and then said partner's delivery schedules. Where postage remained mostly normal, their shipping has been fine.

Shipping next year... really hoping brexit doesn't fuck this up!
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

TransatlanticFoe wrote:Bit cheeky to pop Turrican 3 on the second compilation though. With the Darius ones the split was sensible - if you're just into the Amiga nostalgia you still need to buy both volumes.
I'd have preferred a split into one Amiga and one consoles collection too, but is there any good reason to play T3 over Mega? I only ever had a one-level demo of the former, so I can't compare the full length of the games, but I always assumed they were identical except for the Amiga one having fewer colours on screen.
Sly Cherry Chunks

Mega has a missing stage (1-2) and a generally inferior soundtrack. I'm not sure if the golden Turri trick was in Mega, never tested it.
MJR

Post by MJR »

Marc wrote: The C64 version was only really definitive in how far it pushed the machine really, these days I can't imagine a compelling reason to actually play it above the other versions. Still would have been a nice inclusion, as would the horribly garish, but still rather impressive, Spectrum ports.
Disagree, to me the C64 version is *the* definitive version. Amiga version has smoother framerate and nicer graphics and sound, but the level design and enemy placement is more refined in the C64 version - especially with Turrican 2 - this is due to fact that Manfred Trenz kept fine tuning them and adding secrets even after the level maps were converted for the Amiga. It becomes apparent when you play them that C64 versions are the most rewarding ones. That is not a criticism to other versions - I love them on Amiga just as much, but for different reasons.

And since I still got them on original hardware, I am not quite sure if I want to shell that much money just for the console versions, which are decent but not nearly quite as fun. Those director cuts are interesting though for sure. Maybe if they become available on eshop with more reasonable prices..
stryc9

Post by stryc9 »

Great news.

Iv'e really only played the borked MD port of the first game (there's a bug that makes you lose health twice as fast), more than twenty years ago, and Mega Turrican.

Disagree the level design in MT is pedestrian, and going against popular opinion here but I think the plasma rope is awesome. Plenty of opportunity later to use it to open up new firing angles you usually wouldn't have, like against the big flying enemies in the HR Giger level. The bosses are probably the weakest link here, they look great but the fights are never as varied or dramatic as what we're used to from the top tier JP titles on the console.

Having reaquainted myself with the Super Turricans in light of this announcment, I'm pretty keen to sink my teeth into them now too. ST2 is obviously trying really hard to be Contra III, but tbh it looks and sounds pretty awesome.

Looking forward to finding out more details on the technical side, like emulation or port, display options, and if there's an arrange soundtrack for all the games included.
Facebook is for handbag users.
XBox Live Name: Katbizkitz
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

It's not that I hate that plasma rope all that much, it's rather that, coming from the first two games, I really really miss the 360 degree laser and I think the rope is a poor replacement.

But then Factor 5 seemed to hate that laser for no apparent reason, nerfing it for Super 1, then removing it completely for MT and ST2.
Sly Cherry Chunks

I love the 360 laser, its iconic to the character but I think it was becoming the solution to every problem the games threw at you. (pretty sure it was in ST2, on the other shoulder button) The gyroscope was useless past the second game though and was left in...
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:Mega has a missing stage (1-2) and a generally inferior soundtrack. I'm not sure if the golden Turri trick was in Mega, never tested it.
That stage isn't really missing, its content was just incorporated into the first stage without a stage break. Mega Turrican with a 6-button pad has way better controls, which is enough for me to prefer it over the Amiga version. Its backgrounds are significantly better as well.
Ghegs wrote:The NES port is the only one of the series I've really spent any time with, which I believe is the only one of the games 100% done by Manfred Trenz.
Super Turrican NES is, I think, one of those times a creator lost sight of his own work. Removing the timer (and accompanying urgency) was a mistake. And there's that incredibly blatant plagiarizer of Aldynes' boss.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
Sly Cherry Chunks

Mortificator wrote:That stage isn't really missing, its content was just incorporated into the first stage without a stage break.
No. Theres no break, but after the elevator, 1-1 transitions straight into 1-3. There is a weird score trick to make 1-2 appear instead but on a normal playthrough it's missing. What a strange choice.
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

I see. My mistake! I wonder if I ended up there accidentally last playthrough, but looking up the score trick, hint sites say not to kill any enemies on the elevator, and that's not something I would have done.

I also see a Sega-16 post about a Mega prototype with it included normally. Which, like you said, makes it weird for development to just dummy out access on one platform.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

After hearing versions of both tracks, I actually feel Mega Turrican has the better soundtrack in some areas and a few songs are a toss up. Backgrounds are definitely nicer in Mega Turrican.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

I ordered this, but I think the disc split is a terrible decision too, I'm guessing they wanted to make sure they got the full 70€ out of everyone, but they could've made the collector's edition 1 disc (since you can't split that up anyway).

With no information on who's handling the porting (Factor 5 doesn't say much today) then it's also unclear if asking 70€ for it is even reasonable.
Sly Cherry Chunks

^Based on the trailer, I think M2 is handling it.