What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
null1024

Re: What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Post by null1024 »

Phantasy Star Online 2 [PC].
It's on Steam, so I'm playing it again, this time with some IRL buddies.
Really wasn't about to deal with trying to get the Windows Store version to cooperate now that it's available in NA, so I waited.

Apparently either a: I was a dumdum back when I played JP and didn't realize I could drop the graphics settings lower, or b: they added extra-low graphics settings at some point.
Either way, I get a VERY smooth framerate on my laptop with integrated Intel video, with the caveat that everything looks like it's from 2005. :lol:
which is fine, I guess, it hovers between 40-60fps

Picked a bouncer, which didn't exist when I first started playing PSO2. I'm just zipping around with the jet boots, hitting things. It's entertaining so far, if a bit mindless.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
o.pwuaioc

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Been taking to Game Boy games in between console games. 1CCed Nemesis (still working on second loop though) so I switched it up with Balloon Kid. Love this game so much.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Still without my spectacles, Burnout 2 remains just as playable as it's ever been. Keeps looking so good on RGB CRT that I feel quite a slice of my youth's taken shelter in this lovely tube. And I feel reassured that holding on my clutter was the right thing to do.
o.pwuaioc wrote:I switched it up with Balloon Kid. Love this game so much.
I've been neglecting mine for years, as well as my Motocross Maniacs, my BurgerTime Deluxe and my so many others... But I feel time's ripe for me to take a turn with gaming analogical to the one I've naturally taken with reading books eventually (starting fewer at once, finishing more already started). There's just the right pace of doing things, realisation has come with age.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

I too jumped on Phantasy Star Online 2 as soon as it hit Steam (I got sucked into the Dreamcast original way back when, so I sorta/kinda have been waiting for this)

I've only put in about six hours, but thus far I have to admit it's pretty strange playing an online game in 2020, yet it's not a cesspool of homophobia, man-babies, and general terribleness. Everyone is friendly, and helpful to each other... Perhaps it's because everyone gets their own loot drop, so there's no competition for it. I'm really not sure. But it's certainly pretty wild to experience. I'm not sure how long it's going to last, but I'm going to enjoy it while I can.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Shadow of the Colossus remake (ps4)

The empty open world still holds more joy for me to wander in than modern AAA open worlds packed with content..

At least it did for a while. Some differences that get to me a bit. Seems like the horned water beast (#12) can chuck you off when you try to hit its weird head teeth.

Also Agro the horse controls worse than ever, I swear i'm not just remembering him being better.. In the now more densely wooded areas, the fucking nag slows to a crawl, or a really slow canter. He won't go faster and I've actually jumped off the horse and run through the woods because I can't bear to see how slowly I'm riding.

His teleport to catch up with you is less aggresive now too, so my gamble to run away and let him catch up to me simply didn't work.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

m.sniffles.esq wrote:I too jumped on Phantasy Star Online 2 as soon as it hit Steam
null1024 wrote:Phantasy Star Online 2 [PC].
I miss Phantasy Star games, but I've never played an online thing like that before.

Still patiently waiting for Phantasy Star 5. Sigh.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

I put about 200 hours into PSO on the DC my senior year in college. On dial up. Had a out of fun with it.

I can only imagine how much it has changed. Is it generally the same?
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

I can only imagine how much it has changed. Is it generally the same?

Pretty much. I am kinda of bummed that you can't seem to communicate is weird symbols anymore. But the game itself is pretty much the same.
Ajora

Post by Ajora »

edit: forgot to install the latest patch
Last edited by Ajora on Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There was a time, in the era of great chaos, when the Earth and the moon were at war with each other. A daredevil from the moon piloted a bizarre aircraft. It was feared, and because of its shape, called... Einhander.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Ajora wrote:Terminator: Future Shock today, best known for being the first FPS with mouselook.
Do I fall for such "firsts", collecting these trivia like crazy. Here comes my call for any example of - read carefully - a polygonal 3D third-person-perspective action(-adventure) game using ONE analogue stick of a controller to move character about, and the SECOND analogue stick to control camera the way one would control camera in , say Heretic II on PC with a mouse (two axes), EARLIER than Cyber Org (1999, PSX). I mean character movement/camera controls fairly standard in console TPP games at least since Jak & Daxter, BUT not so standard A.D. 2000 or so, when pretty high-profile PS2 games like The Getaway and MGS2 were in the midst of development.
Because if you can't give any example earlier than Cyber Org, then I'm a winner.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Ajora wrote:I played around with Terminator: Future Shock today, best known for being the first FPS with mouselook. Unfortunately, it hasn't aged very well and ran poorly on DOSBox. A Nightdive Studios revival could potentially help things a bit.
Nightdive doesn't update old games, they just apply existing community patches and repackage them for resale. (and then sends cease and desist orders to the communities that made the patches)
They have a remake of the original System Shock in the works, but it's been "in the works" for years now and I think most people gave up on it.

Also, the Terminator franchise probably confuses the hell out of an update. The rights to any Terminator stuff have been tossed around in courts since the early 90's because of an extremely bad move by Cameron in the 80's.

If you are having technical issues, there is a 1.3 patch that was necessary (even when it came out) to make the game playable. I don't think it has received any mods, but I could be wrong.
Ajora

Post by Ajora »

vol.2 wrote:Nightdive doesn't update old games, they just apply existing community patches and repackage them for resale. (and then sends cease and desist orders to the communities that made the patches)
That's usually the case, but their Blood port was rebuilt around their in-house Kex engine.
There was a time, in the era of great chaos, when the Earth and the moon were at war with each other. A daredevil from the moon piloted a bizarre aircraft. It was feared, and because of its shape, called... Einhander.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Ajora wrote: That's usually the case, but their Blood port was rebuilt around their in-house Kex engine.
Oh yeah, forgot about there blood port. I guess that counts, but it didn't really feel all that updated to me.

If you are into the build engine stuff and you haven't play it yet, I would recommend Ion Fury. It's main weak points lie in the somewhat limited number of weapons and enemies. Other than that, it's a really solid build engine game with great attention to level detail and secrets.
blackoak

Post by blackoak »

o.pwuaioc wrote:Been taking to Game Boy games in between console games. 1CCed Nemesis (still working on second loop though) so I switched it up with Balloon Kid. Love this game so much.
Has there ever been a "game boy quality" thread, like EmperorIng's PC Engine rundown? That's something I'd love to see from the folks of distinguished taste here. I missed the Analogue Pocket sales window myself (or rather, decided against the price really), but I technically have access to the library through the Super Game Boy and a flash cart, even if it's a bit unwieldy... would be fun to read about what still holds up.
shmuplations.com - translated game developer interviews and more
support shmuplations on patreon!
BIL

Post by BIL »

blackoak wrote:
o.pwuaioc wrote:Been taking to Game Boy games in between console games. 1CCed Nemesis (still working on second loop though) so I switched it up with Balloon Kid. Love this game so much.
Has there ever been a "game boy quality" thread, like EmperorIng's PC Engine rundown? That's something I'd love to see from the folks of distinguished taste here. I missed the Analogue Pocket sales window myself (or rather, decided against the price really), but I technically have access to the library through the Super Game Boy and a flash cart, even if it's a bit unwieldy... would be fun to read about what still holds up.
I asked around for R2RKMF action a few years back, got some good recommendations from acclaimed frontiersman Macaw.

My own recs haven't changed much in the intervening - add Rubble Saver, Totsugeki! Ponkotsu Tank, Red Arremer (random battles can grate, but the action/platforming is formidably towering - best of the trilogy imo), Metroid II (although the very CTRL+Vd map annoyed me at first, it gives single-session Best End runs a not unwelcome sense of unease and deja vu - immense atmosphere also), and OG Kirby (with its superb Hard mode) - still vouching for all of 'em. :smile: (throw in quasi-STG Tenjin Kaisen/Mercenary Force for some interesting tactical topdown shooting, the formation options almost prefigure Gradius V's Freeze Type)
o.pwuaioc

Post by o.pwuaioc »

BIL wrote:
blackoak wrote:
I asked around for R2RKMF action a few years back, got some good recommendations from acclaimed frontiersman Macaw.

My own recs haven't changed much in the intervening - add Rubble Saver, Totsugeki! Ponkotsu Tank, Red Arremer (random battles can grate, but the action/platforming is formidably towering - best of the trilogy imo), Metroid II (although the very CTRL+Vd map annoyed me at first, it gives single-session Best End runs a not unwelcome sense of unease and deja vu - immense atmosphere also), and OG Kirby (with its superb Hard mode) - still vouching for all of 'em. :smile: (throw in quasi-STG Tenjin Kaisen/Mercenary Force for some interesting tactical topdown shooting, the formation options almost prefigure Gradius V's Freeze Type)
A dedicated thread might be interesting still. How many first party Nintendo shmups are there? We have Solar Striker from R&D1 on the Game Boy, which isn't a bad little shooter. And that's basically it, Star Fox aside.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Donkey Kong 3's near enough imo. :wink:
o.pwuaioc

Post by o.pwuaioc »

BIL wrote:Donkey Kong 3's near enough imo. :wink:
It's a neat variant on the single screen shooter, sure. It's no Galaga or Centipede, but it's still fun. I guess the Super Mario Land shooter levels count. I wonder if the programmer who worked on those made Solar Striker or something like that.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Now that I think back, kitten mentioned Solar Striker being worked on by Minakuchi. I picked it up since they also did the superb GB Bionic Commando. Neat little no-nonsense STG with a classic Game Over screen, SS. I always liked that early stage having you mowing down tanker trucks on the highway, as a ground target aficionado.

vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Warpman

It's pretty simple, but I find it fun and addictive. There are two modes of gameplay, one where you have to clear a field of enemies in a space background area and another one that's kind of like a bomberman maze where you have to drop bombs to kill off the enemies and run far enough away that you don't get caught in the blast.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Whoa, that game is straight up a remake of Warp & Warp (the 1991 arcade game)! I had no idea there was a home version, but now I have to get it.
I'm pretty certain it's been established that that game was in fact the inspiration for the first Bomberman (aka Bomber Man or Eric & The Floaters) in 1983.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Resident Evil Zero HD - Xb360

Never owned a GameCube, so played it through for the first time. Used the original controls and 4:3 aspect, because I'm familiar with how the widescreen option in the RE1 remake screws up visibility in several rooms, and how the easier controls added to the HD release are frankly game breaking since the enemies were not designed around that mobility. Annoyingly, the Resident Evil games all seem to be extremely inconsistent with controls from one game to the next. I hated all the control options in this, which might be the main reason I'm not keen to play it again soon. B is run, A is examine, sucky layout for an Xbox controller, and all the presets use this! Compare this to the Resident Evil 1 remake which uses the more familiar X to run, A to examine/shoot as per the PS1 era games, and Code Veronica X HD for the Xbox 360 which is weird but slightly less weird (X to examine/shoot, A to run, both X and A are confirm in menus with B being cancel).
Spoiler
The game itself is decent. Having zombie dogs be much more durable and less staggerable than normal was a surprise. I found myself avoiding keeping a partner along because they don't tend to attack aggressively enough, and they don't react fast enough to reposition in fights. Nothing seemed like it necessitated having a CPU partner, similar to Obscure, but unlike Obscure several sections force you to use a specific character, or outright make you suddenly lose access to a character without warning. I beat it on my first playthrough without dying (no saving unless I was calling it quits for the day), although I came dangerously close against the bat boss who got very silly when he summoned the little bat helpers. Left me with Billy on Danger, Rebecca on Caution. Got to the laboratory, pressed a button that Rebecca refused to unpress that locked her in an area, and I needed Billy to progress, with him needing to get to a door in an area with a leech zombie. Thankfully, the super scary zombie stayed far enough that Billy was able to get to the inside unscathed where they could trade items and heal up.

However, at the cable car, I nearly ate it again, when suddenly Rebecca, who wasn't holding my important items, suddenly was left alone at yellow caution with another leech zombie nearby. Without the grenade launcher or rounds to safely quick kill it, I had to run around, fix the cable car, then somehow get to it without being hit since I'd taken a few hits as her when fixing the cable car and made it to Danger again! Was extremely grateful to get the Magnum after, after discovering a Hunter at close range can rapidly tear her up (Billy has way more health in this), I had to get a basically miraculous fight against the sudden Tyrant who was fought at Caution, somehow not dying despite taking a hit in orange Caution, and barely scraping by.

From then on, I was able to stockpile multiple full health items thanks to the game's sudden generosity in the water treatment facility and all went uneventfully from there. Basically, always split items evenly and assume that one or the other might be unavailable for some time. This doesn't always hold true though; memorizing who is used where is very helpful it seems, as I discovered when Rebecca got captured by the centipede boss and I ran out of all ammo and had to frantically run to a knife I left in the main hall. I was rather shocked when the first knife hit finished it off, and despite being in its grasp for way too long, Rebecca was in Fine status. Okay then.

The plot feels honestly like a clear attempt at cashing in on the franchise more than it adds anything to the universe as a whole, with both Rebecca and Billy largely spending their time trying to escape from a facility they've just happened to stumble upon (you'd think Marcus would rather spend time killing Wesker and Birkin instead of two nobodies who wandered in by accident). Still, it's a decent, fairly challenging entry. I notice that it seems to be the first game where there are no "hidden" items, i.e. all collectibles are flashing and visible clearly (or technically hiding behind stuff depending on camera angle).

Resident Evil Code Veronica X HD - Xb360

First time playing this. I have the PS2 release too but didn't have a chance to play it and I figured I might as well get the Xbox 360 release for the sake of loading times. Didn't realize that it has no aspect ratio option, unlike the HD releases of REmake and RE0. You're always in widescreen aspect, and in a few rooms it feels obvious that the camera was zoomed in to fit the screen since you can see less vertically than you could in the original releases. Doesn't seem to have a serious impact on the game thankfully, but I still say you don't fuck with aspect ratios by simply zooming in and cutting off bits at the top and bottom of the screen!
Spoiler
It seems to be much easier than most RE games. The zombies early on do very little damage, as I discovered when experimenting with the knife. The knife is... potentially strong when it decides to knock down a zombie, but the range is atrocious. If you're close enough to hit with the knife, you're too close to escape getting bit, even with the game's very fast quickturn! Zombies also get up so fast that the strategy of downing them with a gun then knifing them is rather unsafe since they may easily grab you after quickly standing, and they can also run at you at high speed, similar to the random running zombies in RE3. The knife slashes are much wider and likely to hit walls, and you also don't have any dodge ability like in RE3... so yeah, the knife sucks as far as I'm concerned. RE3 and RE4 are still the games where the knife is exceptionally good compared to the rest of the series since the knife has good range, you have a fast quickturn, and RE3 has a robust dodge system you can use to shove zombies away when you know how it works. RE3 is by far the easiest to do knife only, with the only major hurdles even when you know what you're doing being Clock Tower Nemmy and the elevator in the Hospital.

Despite wasting multiple healing items early on, I'm well stockpiled on health and ammo and feel like I'm pretty well set. 3+ max heal items, 300 bolts for the bow gun which seems ridiculous, and plenty of grenades as backup. Saving the crossbow bolts at the moment since I don't know how many bow powders I'll find and the gunpowder enhanced bolts are very strong. The dual handguns are very handy when their aim cooperates, especially on fast targets like dogs. Not sure what to do about bats though; the demo spoils using the lighter to scare them off, but I've given the lighter away because of plot reasons, and bats seem to be sufficiently annoying to hit that it's a bit of a concern. Hopefully won't run into too many of them in spots I need to explore.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Sumez wrote:the first Bomberman (aka Bomber Man or Eric & The Floaters) in 1983.
Aside, I will never not crack up at the name Eric & The Floaters.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I don't even own an MSX, but I had to get the tape.

BIL

Post by BIL »

Holy fuck. :lol:
Marc

Post by Marc »

Pretty sure that was on the Spectrum as well, rings bells.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Warpman is on the OG multicart I have since the '90s! so I knew about that one for awhile, strangely.

never played it passed the first screen tho and I thought it was part of Dig-Dug series, because of character's look
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

So yeah, Secret of Mana is an okay game. Like 6.5/10.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

:'(
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Saving the crossbow bolts at the moment

Wise decision