Darius Cozmic Collection [Switch, PS4]

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Johnpv

Re: Darius Cozmic Collection [Switch, PS4]

Post by Johnpv »

Has anyone whose game was shipped by Asendia seen any movement on theirs? Mine departed a hub like a week ago and hasn't updated since.
FRO

Post by FRO »

Johnpv wrote:Has anyone whose game was shipped by Asendia seen any movement on theirs? Mine departed a hub like a week ago and hasn't updated since.
I'm in the same boat. According to the Asendia tracking, mine's in the air somewhere.
steveovig

Post by steveovig »

Asendia is garbage.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Thanks to the Cozmic Collection, I've finally been able to 1cc all arcade versions of Darius 1!

Darius (Old) was my first 1cc, many many years ago, fondly cherished and remembered.
Darius (New) was a few days ago, and somehow I managed a no-death run all the way through Great Thing! It was really unexpected, but the important thing was that I kept myself purposefully underpowered.
Darius Extra was earlier this night, and while it wasn't as clean (I should have had at least two more lives than I did), it was nonetheless a scrape-by-my-teeth finish against a particularly nasty final boss (Strong Shell). Check the video linked to see how close I was to getting my teeth kicked in.

It's nice to come 'full circle' in some ways, back to the game that kicked off my shmup achievement list.

Some weird things I learned while playing Extra (and New):

1) in New/Extra, enemy shots cannot pass through orbs (blue, green, red, gray, yellow). I inadvertently used this to my advantage at points, sometimes using them as impromptu shields while machine-gun spam enemies came barrelling down. This is not a consistent strategy due to the random speed and trajectory of many orbs, however.
2) I never realized this, but in Darius Extra you will be 'pushed' from a ceiling if you collide into it (or floor). If you move into a floor/ceiling, you will be forcibly pushed up/down (and unable to change direction or input). I kept on wondering why I would periodically lose control - one time I was below Keen Bayonet and was accidentally shoved right into him, killing me instantaneously. Similarly, in a late zone in Darius Extra, I accidentally got too close to the ceiling and was shoved - right into an environmental obstacle. Let that be a lesson to would-be fish fryers. (or is that fish friars?)
BIL

Post by BIL »

Fish Friars, definitely. Image Rack up them 1CCs for all to see, become FISHERS OF NOOBS Image
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

FRO wrote:
Johnpv wrote:Has anyone whose game was shipped by Asendia seen any movement on theirs? Mine departed a hub like a week ago and hasn't updated since.
I'm in the same boat. According to the Asendia tracking, mine's in the air somewhere.
Has yours updated at all since?
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Just received a DHL shipping confirmation today. Anything from overseas that I've ordered recently has arrived in roughly a week via DHL, but I'll be sure to post updates.
steveovig

Post by steveovig »

My first shipment has been in transit for 3+ weeks. It's like they chose the cheapest possible shipping for these things, is that normal for this place? I know it's coming from overseas but c'mon.
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

Yeah if they had gone DHL this would be here by now but it does seem they used the shittiest shipping people they could find for the cheapest amount. I will never buy from SLG again.
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

Yeah, the tracking from their site says it's DHL, but its very obvious that it's not, so I think its just some kind of placeholder or something. The last couple orders I've had from them are usually like 3 weeks or so to receive (here in the US) from the time the shipping confirmation arrives.
davyK

Post by davyK »

I hate digital but I weakened and paid for the arcade collection. Switch version.

I am loving it. I have 1CCed Gaiden a few times on Saturn and MAME, and have tried and disliked the PS2 Taito Legends port and this is a gorgeous.

Darius 1 & 2 were never really playable at home. I have a distant memory of the 3 screen original in the arcade but that was a long time ago. Darius 2 was just a step too far for the Saturn - bless it. I have toyed with Darius 2 in MAME but my monitor just isn't big enough for it to be enjoyable.

This makes those 2 games highly playable and enjoyable on a big screen. Playing on a 50" TV. I'm playing them at the "fit screen" setting which is good compromise - pixel perfect is available but nice to have a bigger image. The warped full screen option is madness and for people with no taste.

Even with joycons (have only just got a Switch and am looking at 2D control options) this is joyous to play. M2 are geniuses.

But for me it's slightly tainted. Digital. :(
Last edited by davyK on Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
prophetic

Post by prophetic »

drunkninja24 wrote:Yeah, the tracking from their site says it's DHL, but its very obvious that it's not, so I think its just some kind of placeholder or something. The last couple orders I've had from them are usually like 3 weeks or so to receive (here in the US) from the time the shipping confirmation arrives.
I don't know what typical DHL numbers look like, but my order says DHL shipping in this format: RL123456789CH. I haven't been able to track it online for the last three days.
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

prophetic wrote:
drunkninja24 wrote:Yeah, the tracking from their site says it's DHL, but its very obvious that it's not, so I think its just some kind of placeholder or something. The last couple orders I've had from them are usually like 3 weeks or so to receive (here in the US) from the time the shipping confirmation arrives.
I don't know what typical DHL numbers look like, but my order says DHL shipping in this format: RL123456789CH. I haven't been able to track it online for the last three days.
Assuming you're in the US, you can put it in on USPS tracking and it may have some info there.
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

prophetic wrote:
Sorry that's not DHL all of their emails say DHL but it's not. It's Asendia. You can track it here https://tracking.asendia.com/ it won't show up on USPS until it gets scanned in the US.
davyK

Post by davyK »

Really need to get a good 2D controller. I'm still loving this but the analogue stick just isn't fit for purpose (none are) and it is winding me up now. And it's too easy to hit the lower shoulder button and go into the pause menu too. You get a countdown coming out of pause but it's still annoying. I could reconfigure that I suppose but I need to get a proper controller if I'm going to be playing shmups on the Switch.
prophetic

Post by prophetic »

Johnpv wrote:
Sorry that's not DHL all of their emails say DHL but it's not. It's Asendia. You can track it here https://tracking.asendia.com/ it won't show up on USPS until it gets scanned in the US.
Thanks for the asendia link. My package status is on "Information received" since 8/10. Not yet "Handed to Asendia."

How are others' US based tracking information looking? I ordered the PS4 limited edition.
steveovig

Post by steveovig »

prophetic wrote:
Johnpv wrote:
Thanks for the asendia link. My package status is on "Information received" since 8/10. Not yet "Handed to Asendia."

How are others' US based tracking information looking? I ordered the PS4 limited edition.
My two packages have been in transit seemingly forever.
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

prophetic wrote:
Johnpv wrote:

Mine has been in the air for over 2 weeks now.
prophetic

Post by prophetic »

steveovig wrote:Asendia is garbage.
This is the honest truth. My Asendia tracking info went from order created on 8/10 to order created on 8/14. Still not "handed to Asendia" yet.
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

I actually just got my copies of Cozmic Arcade and Console in the mail today (midwest US here)

Games are cool, but holy hell, you do not want to play with the hd rumble on Switch turned on lol, whoever thought it was a good idea to have that going full blast during boss fights is insane, and there's no in-game way to disable it either, you have to turn it off from the switch config menus :roll:
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

After spending a week in Order Created/Handed to Ascendia mode, my order has just been upgraded to Departed from Ascendia.

We'll see if it arrives by October.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

drunkninja24 wrote: and there's no in-game way to disable it either, you have to turn it off from the switch config menus :roll:
Look under options > other > body sonic strength
You can turn it down or off in game.
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

Got mine today so they are slowly drifting their way across the ocean.
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

Rastan78 wrote:
drunkninja24 wrote: and there's no in-game way to disable it either, you have to turn it off from the switch config menus :roll:
Look under options > other > body sonic strength
You can turn it down or off in game.
Ah okay cool, weird way to word that option but good to know its there.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

"Body Sonic" was Taito's name for the feature of having speakers installed beneath the players' seats, but yeah it probably could have done with some clarification in parenthesis. :P
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Mine has departed from Asendia and is now In Transit... we're really cooking with gas now.
ZaKa-tokyobassist

Post by ZaKa-tokyobassist »

Mine just landed in Chicago. PS4 Standard version. Lets hope it comes in one piece. I saw someone on the Strictly Limited Facebook page posted theirs and WOOF...I'd be livid if my package came in looking like that after all this time.
PSN: tokyobassist
Fighting/SHMUPS/Run N' Gun/Action/Horror/Stealth Games/Arcade Racers/Rail Shooters/Gaming Lore
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Looking at all the English writing in the series it's almost surprising they didn't call vibrating seat cushions something even stranger than body sonic. Some priceless writing there in Gaiden's endings.

Didn't they clean up the English a little in the overseas version?
steveovig

Post by steveovig »

Both of mine have been in NYC for a couple days. I guess it'll finally get here soon. I've seen people on Facebook who have gotten theirs, so it's only a matter of time.
steveovig

Post by steveovig »

I guess I'll make another reply and say that my Console version finally came today, so be on the look out. The shipping status never really changed, so it was a shock it came today. Still waiting on the Arcade version.