COVID-19 in your part of the world

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
BrianC

Re: COVID-19 in your part of the world

Post by BrianC »

Knees and toes isn't just a UK thing. I heard the song throughout childhood.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

"There's no evidence that masks work" ???

Bruh.

A mask is just a sieve. The average covid particle is 200 times larger than an oxygen molecule. This isn't rocket science.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
spmbx

Post by spmbx »

Actually our country is one of the few in europe that has still decided against mandatory mask usage because there is too little proof it makes any meaningful difference.
Despite the fact we don't have masks our numbers are certainly not worse than any of the "mask-countries".
I think a few other points that weighed in were also:
- ideally you would want medical masks for the best use, but we want to save those for healthcare. Some people would probably still hoard medical masks when you want them to use non-medical ones, giving more strain on healthcare.
- any advantage of a (non medical) mask assumes people are not idiots and use the mask right. That certainly isnt the case, potentially making it even worse than not using any

All in all i think the mask discussion isnt as black and white as i mainly see americans put it. For our country i think we are (were) doing a good job eith our existing social distancing rules of which masks arent a part.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

The Danish Health Authority (Sundhedsstyrelsen, DHA) has changed its recommendations for the use of face masks to help prevent the spread of Covid-19.

In a statement released on Friday, the authority said it was “extending its recommendations for the use of face masks in certain situations”.

“It is advantageous to use a face mask when using public transport at times when it is difficult to keep a distance from other passengers,” the health agency wrote on its website.

[...]

Average daily new Covid-19 infections in Denmark have crept up throughout the last month. The week commencing July 5th saw an average of 18 new cases per day. That had increased to 41 by last week.
https://www.thelocal.dk/20200731/denmar ... -transport
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
system11

Post by system11 »

Mischief Maker wrote:"There's no evidence that masks work" ???

Bruh.

A mask is just a sieve. The average covid particle is 200 times larger than an oxygen molecule. This isn't rocket science.
As I say, in that satirical summary of government messages, this is something the government actually said. If I recall it was based on early WHO guidelines.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
orange808

Post by orange808 »

If you took it off to sit in the pub for an hour, stop lecturing everyone else. People keep pretending they can "care" a big whole bunch and go out when they want. No. You can't.

Also, masks don't filter all the way down to an individual atom. There's nothing living the size of a virus--not even a virus. 200 times larger than common oxygen molecules isn't very big. :) Wear a radiation suit. That's a blank check. Go on out.

If I had a truly deadly disease and wore a mask that slightly reduced the chances that healthy people would die, you would quarantine me.

It doesn't do enough. So, I'll say it again. If you really care as much as you need us to believe, stop leaving the house.
We apologise for the inconvenience
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

My mistake. I saw the "don't tread on me" snake avatar and assumed it was serious.

That said, it's still a stupid point. When the disease first broke out, some people said the evidence wasn't in yet on the effectiveness of masks, accurate but probably badly worded. In the months since the evidence has pretty overwhelmingly come back that yes, masks do work. But right-wingers today still seize on that early statement as if it's still relevant now.

By the way, the co-founder of TPUSA, the big college conservative group, just died of covid as well as Ben Carson. TPUSA is rabildy anti-mask. Seeing all these top conservatives go to their graves for the sake of Trump's flailing attempts at spinning this disaster is making me seriously rethink my opinion of Republicans. They really are as stupid as they pretend, all the way to the top?!!

o.pwuaioc

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Mischief Maker wrote:My mistake. I saw the "don't tread on me" snake avatar and assumed it was serious.

That said, it's still a stupid point. When the disease first broke out, some people said the evidence wasn't in yet on the effectiveness of masks, accurate but probably badly worded. In the months since the evidence has pretty overwhelmingly come back that yes, masks do work. But right-wingers today still seize on that early statement as if it's still relevant now.

By the way, the co-founder of TPUSA, the big college conservative group, just died of covid as well as Ben Carson. TPUSA is rabildy anti-mask. Seeing all these top conservatives go to their graves for the sake of Trump's flailing attempts at spinning this disaster is making me seriously rethink my opinion of Republicans. They really are as stupid as they pretend, all the way to the top?!!
Ben Carson is alive and well. You must be confusing him with Herman Cain. Big yikes there.
Last edited by o.pwuaioc on Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Even tho I wear the mask and am mostly convinced of it's benefits(although not 100% convinced, I'm still willing to discuss this stuff and read studies), I do agree with the ''don't lecture people who don't wear a mask'' bit... until said people make a scene and disrupt public order, that is. Then it's hunting season.

Also there are people on both sides who don't wear the mask, so I don't know why we're making this a right vs left thing?

For sure staying home is the best way to protecc

Also I think people forget the good ol' 4th dimension : the drops you emit wherever you go, stay in the air for awhile in your trail, so looks like social distancing might not 100% protect you. I haven't dug for studies confirming this yet, but it does worry me. If anyone find studies on this, do let us know.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

FinalBaton wrote: Also there are people on both sides who don't wear the mask, so I don't know why we're making this a right vs left thing?
We aren't doing anything.

This is entirely a product of the extremists and our lovely pres pulling those views in the mainstream. (in our country anyway)

Of course there are people in both camps not wearing masks (and plenty of people who aren't in one camp or the other). The whole politicizing of masks is attempt to further consolidate his base and push more people towards the brand of extremism that is perceived to win the right votes. Faced with an unprecedented negative image during a global pandemic and a tumbling economy, there's not a lot of strategies for a win.
o.pwuaioc

Post by o.pwuaioc »

FinalBaton wrote:Also I think people forget the good ol' 4th dimension : the drops you emit wherever you go, stay in the air for awhile in your trail, so looks like social distancing might not 100% protect you. I haven't dug for studies confirming this yet, but it does worry me. If anyone find studies on this, do let us know.
In order to reopen, we got filters on the AC and HEPA air purifiers in our offices. That, masks, plexiglass barriers, goggles, and frequent hand washing before touching eyes/nose/mouth hopefully is effective enough.
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

FinalBaton wrote:Also there are people on both sides who don't wear the mask, so I don't know why we're making this a right vs left thing?
Here in Freedomland the media tries to make literally everything a politically divided issue no matter how insane it is. The culture war is a big old astroturfed psyop.
ZacharyB

Post by ZacharyB »

As a person with a graciously low-to-medium contact retail job, I am very grateful for masks, although, I can attest that the cheaper ones probably don't protect you very well. You need to be well-equipped, like system11 and his fancy N95s.

Masks are mainly for stopping everyone's potential breath vapor from entering the atmosphere, because they're right there at ground zero, right in front of your mouth. For this, even flimsy surgeon's masks, fancy cloth masks, and even homemade masks do their best work. A paper towel folded over itself and placed in front of your mouth inside your mask is 30% of the way to the efficacy of an N95 mask!

Just remember not to touch your mask... Once you're in some kind of contaminated environment, everything will stick to it, because it will be moist with your breath vapor. You have to treat it like a biohazard. If your mask tends to shift during the day, tape it in place. I noticed that my masks will slip down after talking, so I started to tape them up, and the problem was solved. There's also a thin metal bar across the bridge of the nose of most disposable masks—use this to mold it to your face.

If you need to take off a mask, and it's a non-disposable fancy-pattered cloth mask, take it off your face gingerly, then soak it in hot, soapy water that is at least 160 degrees F/71 degrees C for at least 10 minutes, almost like you're preparing to preserve fruit or make pickles. Hot tap water won't cut it... it falls 40/20 degrees short of the temperature requirement. If you're wearing a disposable mask, just rip it off without touching the front (or your face), put it in a garbage bin, and then wash your hands.

The biggest danger remains other people who choose to not wear masks.

Here in the awful US, it seems like people don't want to admit that they could even possibly harbor this pathogen. Like their health becomes an extension of their will, even though it completely isn't. It seems like a kind of... spiritual bankruptcy. They can't afford to admit that they have to wear a mask.

I guess this is a good representation of the nation where wearing a motorcycle helmet is optional in multiple states, and where groups have fought against helmet laws... same concept. Not being able to afford to doubt their own will.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

ZacharyB wrote:Here in the awful US, it seems like people don't want to admit that they could even possibly harbor this pathogen. Like their health becomes an extension of their will, even though it completely isn't. It seems like a kind of... spiritual bankruptcy. They can't afford to admit that they have to wear a mask.
This is the Reagan and AIDS all over again. Safe Sex? Whaddya think I am, some kinda homo?!!

I wonder who will be the Magic Johnson of Covid?

BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

ZacharyB wrote:Here in the awful US, it seems like people don't want to admit that they could even possibly harbor this pathogen. Like their health becomes an extension of their will, even though it completely isn't.
What they don't want to admit is that the eggheads were right, and that thus every individual and/or institution that's more informed than they are on a particular subject isn't by its very nature out to "get" them whenever it makes a recommendation. This, in turn, would mean that they might actually be well-advised to sit down and be quiet once in awhile, which would completely eliminate their raison d'etre in the political arena.
supergrafx77

Post by supergrafx77 »

Everyday at work in this... with lung tumor and copd..., while healthy coworkers getting paid at home laughing at ppe during zoom meetings. Do not like most "liberals," at this point...
(image deleted)
Last edited by supergrafx77 on Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

https://youtu.be/CyVPh397Sl4?t=182 Man at pizza place incorrectly wearing a mask sees another man not wearing a mask (correctly or otherwise), confronts him, then starts pushing over glass display cases for no apparent reason while hollering "ASSAULT, DON'T GIVE HIM HIS FOOD, HE ASSAULTED ME"

(I'm not trying to push a viewpoint with this clip, I just thought it was really fucking funny. That said I feel that wearing a mask is just common courtesy, saying that you care both about your own health and the health of the people surrounding you. I would just link the raw clip instead of Jesus commentating over the clip, but I couldn't find the clip by itself.)
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

supergrafx77 wrote:Do not like most "liberals," at this point...
The effectiveness of masks has nothing to do with political affiliation. Either you believe the science behind it's effectiveness or you don't.

If your issue is an inequality with your working peers, then perhaps it's a bigger issue and has nothing to do with the masks in the first place?
supergrafx77

Post by supergrafx77 »

vol.2 wrote:
supergrafx77 wrote:Do not like most "liberals," at this point...
The effectiveness of masks has nothing to do with political affiliation. Either you believe the science behind it's effectiveness or you don't.

If your issue is an inequality with your working peers, then perhaps it's a bigger issue and has nothing to do with the masks in the first place?
Never discussed effectiveness in this thread between p100, n95, astm level 1, 2, or 3..., just "covid-19, in the libtarded parts of the world," where I work and others do not.
Lot of conservative friends I now have do not believe in the "effectiveness of the masks," and they are free to believe what they want.
It is the liberals I find to be the most hypocritical.
It is the liberals that I hear believe in the masks, yet I see them not working, getting paid, on bike rides, at parks, all over, with no masks, while I work with lung cancer and stage 4 copd.
And then I go home every night to my mom who has brain cancer and breast cancer.
Sorry Baltimore, I just don't care about talking about "systemic racism, a caste system, blm, blah, blah.
I work. Most liberals in DC, don't.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

There it is. That's why we can't do things right.

Because, somebody else is always "getting something for free" and you're always the hardest working 'merican ever ever everest! Everyone else be so lazy!

There it is! :) That's the American attitude right there!

It's also the reason why we couldn't identify the most vulnerable, quarantine them, and support them!

Why couldn't we do that?

Well, because all the 'Merica middle class heroes would be crying: "I'm working, but that lazy Jimmy Bob Jones is using his health to take time off!'" **(Self important foot stomp!) "No fair!!!"

(If you can't take a few months off with zero consequences, you're working class, you moron 'Merican! Do you know that? No. You can't be "working class". You're "middle class"! Sure... okay...)

There ya go, smarty-pants!

Same reason we can't implement a health care system that makes sense. "Those people" wouldn't be earning it! People that don't work hard enough need to die! That'll teach 'em to be born into wealth, so they can "save money" and "be responsible" like you, after you were born on third base. (Cue the outlier story about the few that got lucky and overcame real poverty. blah, blah, blah.. Bullshit.)

Yeah! 'Merica!!!
Last edited by orange808 on Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We apologise for the inconvenience
CIT

Post by CIT »

supergrafx77 wrote:liberals
What is a liberal? And how do you know these people who are "not working, getting paid, on bike rides, at parks, all over, with no masks" are liberals?
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

supergrafx77 wrote: Sorry Baltimore, I just don't care about talking about "systemic racism, a caste system, blm, blah, blah.
I work. Most liberals in DC, don't.
That sucks that you're having troubles. I'm not in any way trying to make light of your personal hardships.

The issue here is that you've decided to lump who you perceive to be "liberals" into some weird group that doesn't exist. Perhaps you didn't create this imaginary group, but you certainly bought a bill of goods on it.

The fact that wearing masks or not has created such intense feelings and polarization is a symptom of the toxic polarization in american politics. This has nothing to do with masks. That's all just an invented distraction. It's an excuse for an inflammatory talking point to pit the working class against one another so "they" can keep what they have.
system11

Post by system11 »

The best part is that many people who think they're liberals, aren't. The label is broken. Anyway...

I'm definitely in the camp of: masks are worth it and should be mandated in some places for now, but the clownesque government and holy mask "new normal" brigade can get fucked. Really hard.

I have a new story to tell though. Firstly to clarify, I now only shop in supermarkets and only once a week because I can't find an adequate way of avoiding this last piece of in-person shopping. Avoiding going to shops seems to be the optimal solution to enforced masks since then everyone is happy. Supermarkets were demonstrated to be adequately safe with social distancing over several weeks while Covid levels crashed back down again, with almost nobody wearing masks in them. Reference for non-UK people - over here we're typically talking 50k square feet, very high ceilings, lots of space.

This week was different, it was the start of week 2 of mask enforcement. There they were, assholes zooming around, reaching over or pushing past people in the supermarket in their masks, like they owned the place, like arrogant immortals. "Fuck you all, behold my virtue, for I have my mask on!" Social distancing and a pleasant form of courtesy has been erased in just over a week. I call this new breed of creature "Masskholes". They will soon be back, and in greater numbers.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
supergrafx77

Post by supergrafx77 »

I see some comments have come in.
This week I'm taking time off PTO(paid time off),which has replaced Vacation and sick leave, so will have time to comment w/ blm people...right now busy working though, mowing the lawn. I'll take a picture of all the bags I bag when I'm done.
So busy working. So busy bagging.
I see you mfz' not working all the time. lol
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

system11 wrote:The best part is that many people who think they're liberals, aren't. The label is broken. Anyway...

I'm definitely in the camp of: masks are worth it and should be mandated in some places for now, but the clownesque government and holy mask "new normal" brigade can get fucked. Really hard.

I have a new story to tell though. Firstly to clarify, I now only shop in supermarkets and only once a week because I can't find an adequate way of avoiding this last piece of in-person shopping. Avoiding going to shops seems to be the optimal solution to enforced masks since then everyone is happy. Supermarkets were demonstrated to be adequately safe with social distancing over several weeks while Covid levels crashed back down again, with almost nobody wearing masks in them. Reference for non-UK people - over here we're typically talking 50k square feet, very high ceilings, lots of space.

This week was different, it was the start of week 2 of mask enforcement. There they were, assholes zooming around, reaching over or pushing past people in the supermarket in their masks, like they owned the place, like arrogant immortals. "Fuck you all, behold my virtue, for I have my mask on!" Social distancing and a pleasant form of courtesy has been erased in just over a week. I call this new breed of creature "Masskholes". They will soon be back, and in greater numbers.
I rather enjoy wearing a face covering in supermarkets in the summertime, the super-aggressive air conditioning dries out my throat and makes a bad hayfever season so much worse. So it's wonderful to have something taking the edge off that.

An early issue with masks was precisely that it'd make people feel invulnerable to it when we needed them to practice hygene and stay apart, and lo - seeing exactly that in supermarkets now, distancing measures are over now we have masks. Doesn't help that the supermarkets themselves have given up restricting the numbers in store, so it's getting pretty packed and people think it's normal again. But frankly, the staff are the worst for it - having a huddle in the middle of the shop floor, delivery pickers will run you over if you don't get out of the way and shelf fillers act like no-one else is in the aisle. One worker in Tesco, with a "keep 2 metre" branded uniform, suddenly cuts in front of me and pulls over two shelf fillers for a chinwag. A little triangle of "fuck this shit". It's like a fucking motorway - if there's a gap between you and someone in front, people think it's an invitation for them to slide in. It's done as far as people are concerned I think. Yeah both regions I've been in lately are super-low risk (most days go past without a single case and when there is, it's just that - a single case) but seriously is it that hard to follow the basics? Yes. Yes it fucking is. What a shambles of a society.
supergrafx77

Post by supergrafx77 »

Deleted... it was such a nice post...
Last edited by supergrafx77 on Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

whew
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
supergrafx77

Post by supergrafx77 »

trap15 wrote:whew
Not as hard as Ketsui.
...But deleting above post.
Although it is AMAZING, not deserving of my time wasted writing it to "full spectrum mass viewership/internet,"
nor should I throw my own "images/stuff," out for the "radical leftists," to do as they please. I know they want our stuff.
I should have known better with the doxxing and cancel culture now prevalent to posts my true feelings.
Last edited by supergrafx77 on Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Queen Charlene

Post by Queen Charlene »

there is so much baggage to unpack here that i don't even know where to start, but i do hope that you realize at some point that it's American capitalism that's forcing you to work yourself to the bone and not liberals
supergrafx77

Post by supergrafx77 »

Queen Charlene wrote:there is so much baggage to unpack here that i don't even know where to start, but i do hope that you realize at some point that it's American capitalism that's forcing you to work yourself to the bone and not liberals
I prove my case.
Last edited by supergrafx77 on Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.