HARD ROCK SOLDIER x HEAVY METAL KILLER: Rawk Thread

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
BIL

Re: HARD ROCK SOLDIER x HEAVY METAL KILLER: Rawk Thread

Post by BIL »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:Closer to the topic, them lyrics on South of Heaven album by Slayer:

I deal in pain
All life I drain
I dominate
I seal your fate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TU0RIt2TeSg

You stud, bring me the head of Alfredo Garcia while you're at it.
FinalBaton wrote:funny you mention Slayer : some lyrics grabbed my attention recently as I see an interview where Kerry detailed the lyrics for Raining Blood and it is absolutely savage and epic beyond belief actually. Not in a gore sense necessarily, but in a biblical sense moreso. Gonna check it again but it's someting about an arch-angel taking revenge and slaying angels in heaven, which is where the raining blood comes in. blood of angels raining down on earth. wow. fucking awesome

(Slayer are of course one of my most influential and cherished band. probs THE most. I just gave an interview for a book being made on my hometown's punk scene, and I mentionned Slayer as my biggest influence. with Ramones probs close second since I learned guitar playing their stuff and catchy 3 chord punk was so huge in my circle of friends/hometown scene).
TRAPPED IN PURGATORY / A LIFELESS OBJECT, ALIVE is among the quintessential "True Last Boss" lyrics. Image Bacterion, VENOM, HITO NO NOROI et al Image
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Awaiting the hour of reprisal. Your time. Slips. Away.

When i visited Tokyo in 2018, I met with short-lived forum member JWS, and another buddy.
We hadn't hung out together in like 3 years since he moved there.

We went to a karaoke place and got bladdered. One person would sing while others would grab the tablet and queue up loads of songs. The screens showed what had just been queued and often everyone else in the room would yell WTF!

Anyway JWS took a leak and came back to myself and Mo both screaming/yelling Raining Blood. :lol: 8)
The shitty semi-midi cover version of the guitar riffs lmao.

The stock footage was a fucking TRAM going through some leafy city centre, looked like somewhere in the US.
The mismatch made me genuinely cry with laughter.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

lmao that's a pretty good one Blinge. both the choice of song and the midi version + calming video make for a pretty funny karaoke moment :lol: I would've had a pretty tough time not laughing either, looking at that foootage
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BIL

Post by BIL »

Could make a pretty decent Slayer X Train Sperg karaoke crossover AMV with this chap, Assault Type Thomas. :cool:

Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

I'm currently enjoying revisiting some of my old favourites, bands I used to listen to all day and every day, whose records I haven't put on for more than 20 years, though.

First in line are Depressive Age. They were active in the earlier half of the 1990s and released four superb albums during that time. The first two ones were mainly thrashy in style while the two later ones dialed it down and went in a more traditional rock/metal direction.

Sadly, their unique brand of melancholic metal never really quite caught on and they didn't get the attention they deserved. Once I went to one of their shows and I don't know what went wrong there, but there were literally (!) as many people in the audience as on the stage. Didn't keep the guys from playing one hell of a show, though. I remember being duly impressed by their professionalism.

Beyond Illusions (earlier DA)
Garbage Canyons (later DA)
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Herr Schatten wrote: Sadly, their unique brand of melancholic metal never really quite caught on and they didn't get the attention they deserved.
I suppose the Coroner's disbanding had to do with a similar lack of interest. When you know you're good but you keep seeing not-quite-so-good others take more spotlight, it might be difficult to carry on. Back when my tolerance to metal was pretty high I read an enthusiastic review of Limbonic Art's debut album, in a magazine that I still think usually had some class*, then I saw its cover reproduced on many T-sirts and hoodies, and, no, their music wasn't doing much for me. Cradle of Filth also enjoyed some popularity around that time, so I guess the likes of Coroner could find it tough to grin and bear anymore.

*) Its writers were something of a mixed bag, but are't all magazines like that?
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Still revisiting half-forgotten favourites. Next stop: Sentenced.

Holy crap were these guys great. Six fantastic albums in 10 years, all filled to the brim with hits. I can't even tell which sub-genre they're supposed to represent, but who cares if the quality is that high? I also enjoy the dark lyrics, always oscillating between sarcasm and desperation.

Bleed
Broken
Last edited by Herr Schatten on Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Blinge wrote:Did anyone ever get into the depressive experience that is Poison The Well ?

No idea why i'm listening at 7:30 am :mrgreen:

Man's got one hell of a scream on him, and the way it's punctuated by the rhythm section in this track. Hits me right in the nuts.
I've an album of theirs somewhere, 'Tear From The Red' or something like that? Not bad, but always reminded me of a hardcore Fear Factory.

Never managed to get into that Slint record back in the day either, really must give it another go sometime.
Also a shame that SDRE had another album's worth of material almost finished when the decided to break up for the umpteenth time.

Currently rocking Mastodon and Red Fang.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Herr Schatten wrote:Depressive Age
Got their Electric Scum CD a couple of days ago. The Small Town Boy cover I heard in a Metal-centric "show" on the radio around its time was most likely theirs!
The album reminds me of Faith No More, as well as of Waltari in a way (not to say they are copying either, I mean that nineteen-nineties' eclecticism flavour, Opus ptetending to be Laibach covering Opus on the TV, Vader covering Depeche Mode etc.)

Revisiting Moonlight - Act III by Christ Agony ("ONLY MY SEMEN..."). It seems that, back in the day, my interest in Black Metal had peaked with this one, and since then only Nemesis Divina by Satyricon have received good deal of my eartime, Black Metal-wise.
The way out is cut off

Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:Got their Electric Scum CD a couple of days ago. The Small Town Boy cover I heard in a Metal-centric "show" on the radio around its time was most likely theirs!
The album reminds me of Faith No More, as well as of Waltari in a way (not to say they are copying either, I mean that nineteen-nineties' eclecticism flavour, Opus ptetending to be Laibach covering Opus on the TV, Vader covering Depeche Mode etc.)
An apt comparison, not so much regarding the sound itself, but in how much each of these bands did their very own thing that was unlike pretty much anything else on the market at the time. I would definitely count the aforementioned Coroner among those, too.

If you enjoy Electric Scum, you should definitely check out its predecessor Symbols for the Blue Times. It suffers from a weak sound, but the songs are among DA's best.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Peter Green, founder and original guitarist of Fleetwood Mac, has died peacefully in his sleep at 73. ;-;7

Only really knew of him via Priest's chest-beating cover of The Green Manalishi (with the Two-Pronged Crown), and it's still the only song of his I've heard - but man, what a fuckin song. I'd read about his prodigious talents, his drug problems, and his mental health struggles, but even heard totally blind, this would suggest all three. A cool eerie din. "Slipping away / Leavin' me here tryin' to keep from following you" sure comes across differently in this sepulchral malaise. Image

One of those situations where not only are both versions good, but they also have next to nothing in common. I LIKE THAT A LOT Image (nothin' wrong with keeping it by the book ofc!)
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

...following Scott Walker & Mark Hollis deceased A.D. 2019, then Penderecki & Morricone this year. An Odyssey of a loss.
You've likely heard the Albatross instrumental piece be Fleetwood Mac at some point, it's been a huge hit of kind that keeps coming back like a bad penny.
Just out of my impulse buying Then Play On album's reissue by Rhino Records, I tell you this: rarely a CD this long does not outstay its welcome listened to as a whole, but this one doesn't. Not only does it compile all tracks ever originally released under Then Play On title (be it in UK, or in the U.S.), but it ends up with the latest studio recordings made by Fleetwood Mac & Greeny, that is: The Green Manalishi (With the Two-Pronged Crown) indeed, and World in Harmony instrumental.
That's a CD almost guaranteed to please my mom with, it has to be said.
Herr Schatten wrote:If you enjoy Electric Scum, you should definitely check out its predecessor Symbols for the Blue Times. It suffers from a weak sound, but the songs are among DA's best.
Weak sound production is such a plague of the period that I EXPECT it rather than pity. Ross Robinson truly was a groundbreaking record producer, and one of the year 1996's redeemers.

P.S. Listen to the Fleetwood Mac's Oh Well song, just do. Didn't Jane's Adiction flat out ripped off its riff in their Mountain Song? As did Nirvana do with Killing Joke's Eighties riff in their Come As You Are.
The way out is cut off

Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:Weak sound production is such a plague of the period that I EXPECT it rather than pity.
I think it was around that time that professional studio equipment became affordable enough for many bands to build their own studios and self-produce instead of letting a pair of outside-ears work with the material. There was a huge drop in sound quality in general back then.
Sometimes, when I put on some record from the late 1980s/ early 1990s, I'm shocked how much better it sounds than stuff that got released some 10-15 years later.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

It could also be that recording technique took a leap to digital and sound engineers had yet to work out how to make it sound good on consumer-grade equipment (read: "Walkman in a noisy place"). Classical music (produced primarily with hi-fi users in mind) certainly crossed some Rubicon in late nineteen-eighties, going all "DDD", and certainly didn't stop there. With pop and rock, you also had "loudness war" raging on to deal with. I keep namedropping Ross Robinson as I think he was the first to please everybody: artists, their labels, and the kid with Walkman. Sure enough, some of his productions are associated with that awful "nu-metal" buzzword, but it's hardly his fault.

It's true that self-producing can be a trap. My sister's band being an example. They gathered funds to record album, did recordings (I heard some candidate mix; basics to work with are all there). Now their buddy working in a proffessional studio is supposed to mix it after hours. So he makes a mix, they don't like it and tell him to make another one, so it goes on and on. For the lack of a leader*, they obviously could use a producer, but that job takes genuine wisdom.

*) Three females in the band, and apparently with the ladies, one leading the way is a no.
The way out is cut off

FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Haven't posted my last few vinyl GETS but I'll catch up soon. In the meantime, here is today's haul. All first presses, dug out of a small crowded shop(the type filled to the ceiling with retro electronic stuff) and for pretty cheap to boot. What a feeling it is everytime!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lately I've also been discovering some tasty classic heavy metal outfits : Tigers of Pan Tang, Armored Saints, Sanctuary, Crimson Glory and Malice.

If you like a good dose of melody in your classic heavy metal/NWOBHM/thrash, I suggest that you push these bands into a syringe and proceed to inject them str8 in2 yur cock RIGHT NAO ! Image

Hype post/primer to come...
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
null1024

Post by null1024 »

I've been into Earthshaker lately.
Not quiiiite as hard as their name is, but damn, these guys are great. I love it.

Also, Saxon.
Kinda surprised that no one's ever suggested them to me IRL before, apparently they were pretty big.
Tons of fun to listen to.
IF IT'S TOO LOUD, AND YOU'RE TOO HOT, FILL YOUR HEADS WITH HEAVY METAL THUNDERRRRRRRR
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

(Saxon are pretty cool, I've discussed them with Birru in the music thread last month. I discovered them at the same time as Accept and while I prefer Accept, I tought Saxon was also great in a more rough and tumble badass rock 'n roll way. on earlier records at least. their later period (Killing Ground and Lionheart) is pretty epic NWOBHM almost leaning into power metal affectations. very epic yet straightforward no-bullshit crushing rock)
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
null1024

Post by null1024 »

[...] I discovered them at the same time as Accept
Oh hell, this seems like another band that I have no reason to not already know, they did fucking BALLS TO THE WALL! :lol:
But no, apart from the one song, I haven't heard their discography, really should give it a look. Thanks for the rec!
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Somehow, I've never been able to really get into Accept. They used to have killer riffs, but tended to stretch them until they wore thin. Also, I usually have a high tolerance for singers's voices that are something of an acquired taste, but Udo's vocals always annoy me from the get-go. A friend of mine keeps praising Accept's latest few albums, though. With Dirkschneider gone and the band (hopefully) matured, maybe I should give them another chance.

Coincidentally, that same friend is a huge Saxon fan. I like them, but never enough to pick an album I wanted to purchase. I do remember renting Solid Ball of Rock from the local library as a teenager and enjoying it quite a bit. I actually rented Motörhead's 1916 and Pink Cream 69's One Size Fits All from there, too. Someone in the staff obviously had some taste.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Herr Schatten wrote:Somehow, I've never been able to really get into Accept. They used to have killer riffs, but tended to stretch them until they wore thin. Also, I usually have a high tolerance for singers's voices that are something of an acquired taste, but Udo's vocals always annoy me from the get-go. A friend of mine keeps praising Accept's latest few albums, though. With Dirkschneider gone and the band (hopefully) matured, maybe I should give them another chance.

Coincidentally, that same friend is a huge Saxon fan. I like them, but never enough to pick an album I wanted to purchase. I do remember renting Solid Ball of Rock from the local library as a teenager and enjoying it quite a bit. I actually rented Motörhead's 1916 and Pink Cream 69's One Size Fits All from there, too. Someone in the staff obviously had some taste.
I've really come to appreciate the twin guitar team of Peter and Wolf. So much so that I'd go as far as ranking them almost as high as KK Downing and Glenn Tipton. An on some days equal. They are that tight and melodic and masterful riff master IMO. If I had one album to recommend so that you could give another shot at the Udo incarnation, it would probably be Restless and Wild. But Balls to the Walls and Metal Heart are superb also.

But you know what? you don't even have to settle for Udo on vocals.

Accept are one of those rare classic bands whose second singer equals and even surpasses the original one. And the songs? They are some of the bands best in their buttfucking career. I highly suggest that you give a full listen to both Blood of the Nations and Blind Rage. The material here is so strong, the mood so cool and Mark Tornillo's deep raspy vocals are a perfect fit for those compositions. He's really good IMO. He brings all of hyper-high intensity, rock'n roll feelz and a sense of desperation to the slightly apocalyptic/epic feel of the tunes. He's rock 'n roll/bluesy, but the nasaly timbre of AC/DC singers is nowhere to be found here.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Thanks for the recommendations. I've listened to Restless and Wild, Blood of the Nations and Blind Rage in their entirety, as well as a few bits and pieces from other albums.

Restless and Wild reminds me a lot of classic Priest, even down to the sound production. Unfortunately, I still can't stand Udo's vocals, and the sound production also leaves something to be desired. There's some great guitar work on that album, but the circumstances make it impossible for me to enjoy it.

Now, the newer albums are much more interesting. Tornillo's vocals are very good and fit the music well. The guitar work is once again excellent. I think I like Blind Rage a bit more than Blood of the Nations.

Ultimately, though, I think I have to accept (lol) that Accept's not really for me. There's undeniable quality, and I can definitely see what others like about their stuff, but apart from the odd single song it doesn't do a whole lot for me. Accept are in good company there, thoug, as there are quite a few classic acts I have the same somewhat ambivalent relationship with.

On a side note: Oddly enough, I very much do like other bands covering Accept, like for example Rage covering Fast as a Shark.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

It pains me a bit to see a german not digging an admitedly killer and influential band that hails from the Fatherland :(

Oh well :) we can't all love the same bands. I'm happy you gave a whirl to a couple albums this week.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Obscura shoved his hand up my ass and is wielding me as a sock puppet.
here's another Celtic Frost influenced death metal album that needs to be posted in the farm's "rock and metal" thread and brought to BIL's attention
https://youtu.be/GFGKg2afvjE

So says Mr. Obscura.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Oho, I knew he was still out there fisting unsuspecting young men! Much obliged chaps, I will blast loud upon the morrow. :cool:
rapoon

Post by rapoon »

BIL

Post by BIL »

Catchy tune! Can't say I'm familiar with his work, though I'm sure you can guess what I've heard of his shows. :lol: At the end of the day, habitual pants-shitting is something I cannot forgive. Image

Michael Schenker Group / ST (1980)

A faithful companion, these last couple months' commuting. Super solid hard 70s rock with a distinct metallic edge - fans of early Rainbow will love this. While Schenker's leads are sterling, combining effortless rocker swagger with razor clarity and purpose, it's the riffs, grooves and Gary Barden's soulful voice that really hooked me. Cry For The Nations, Victim of Illusion and Looking Out From Nowhere are first-rate toe-tappers.

Ends rather heavier than it started, with the gorgeously longing Tales of Mystery and the towering Kashmiri metal of Lost Horizons a million miles from the archetypal ready rock of Armed And Ready. Have to admit, it's the more buttoned-down, rock n' roll side of the LP I really love, but this is good stuff all the way through.

> Cry For The Nations
> Victim of Illusion
> Feels Like A Good Thing
> Looking Out From Nowhere
> Tales Of Mystery
> Lost Horizons
trap15

Post by trap15 »

That's a damn fine album. Surprisingly, despite you not listing it, Into The Arena is where my ears have perked up from doing other things with it on in the background. Instrumentals with lots of guitar wank get me going. Looking forward to the rest now :mrgreen:

--

Yeah that was great, B side definitely picked it up for me.

--

Never mind I just wasn't paying attention to the music I guess :shock: All of this is great
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
BIL

Post by BIL »

One of those records where I have to resist just listing the whole thing tbh ^__^

"Arena" reminds me a lot of Maiden's Murray/Smith Powerslave era, specifically the rugged "Big Orra / Losfer Words." Incidentally, Smith's "Hooks In You" (off No Prayer For The Dying, though he'd left by then) blags ARMED AND READY's riff wholesale Image
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

You just met the last motherfucker.. who truly does not give a fuck

such inspired lyrics lmao :twisted: :twisted:

Dat album art doe. https://youtu.be/SO-i-2HmzeU
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Listening to the 2016 remaster of Nemesis Divina by Satyricon, I get it now - they're like Swedish Pop* of Black Metal, contagiously catchy. One of those "all killer" albums, like Domain's Pandemonium, or Satura by Lacrimosa. These make me NOT ashamed of my teens, I mean, how could I resist?

*) I had pretty similar thoughts of Trio Mediæval recently, who even are, or at least were, partially Swedish, ethnics-wise, like, "Swedish Pop of early Euro music!"

And here's a retro-reflection on Christ Agony's Moonlight - Act III - that other Grand BM album of my youth. See, contrary to what I read in some review of it, I believe they DON'T use any synthesizers or samplers there - all chromatic enrichments appear to be done with guitars (also acoustic) and human voice. If what I read in booklet is correct, it was also produced by their songwriter/guitar player/leading vocalist, and to what an effect! As if he wanted as few people as possible to meddle in it, going far extremely D.I.Y. Now I have to find some live recordings of theirs, expecting more austere arrangements, obviously.

P.S. Still, Nemesis Divina's keyboard- and piano-playing by Geir Bratland is jolly good to my ear, lately marinated in super-professional keyboard-playing on the radio.
The way out is cut off