Groovymame build for a standard VGA PC CRT?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
cave hermit

Groovymame build for a standard VGA PC CRT?

Post by cave hermit »

I'm interested in groovymame, have my eyes set on an auction which ends tonight for an Optiplex 7020 with a 3.30 GHz i5-4590. Assuming I can nab it, I was thinking of getting a radeon HD 5450 and a 250 gb SDD.

How well would this hardware setup run on the latest groovymame? Will Cave CV1000 and 3D stuff run alright?

Then there's the matter of the video output, The only CRT I have is a standard Dell m782p CRT monitor. I was thinking of just using that in conjunction with a scanline generator to get a pseudo 240p image, but I was wondering, would not using a 15 kHz monitor defeat the purpose of Groovymame to begin with? What is the benefit of using Groovymame to begin with? I'm still trying to understand whether there would be any real difference between groovymame with a proper build vs. just running my laptop with a vga cable to my crt if I'm going to be using 31 kHz.
Josh128

Re: Groovymame build for a standard VGA PC CRT?

Post by Josh128 »

If you are using a 31KHz CRT, there is no reason to mess with CRTEmuDriver or Groovymame. Just use faux scanlines and/or GFX shaders. The whole purpose of GroovyMAME is to output to a 15KHz CRT.

That i5 should be fine for just about everything thats emulated well enough to play.
cyborc

Post by cyborc »

Crtemudriver + groovymame is still worth it for 31khz, because it will still output the game's original refresh rate. Many arcade games deviated from the standard of 60hz. Neo-Geo with 59.1hz, Mortal Kombat 1-3 was 54hz, R-Type 55hz, etc.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Isn't the frame delay feature still exclusive to Groovymame? That allows to cut another frame of input latency on CRTs, no matter their scan rate. The official Mame doesn't have this, but it actually does allow to sync with the original machine's refresh, even for the weird ones.

User Xyga's posts on the subject here in this forum answer most of the opening questions.